Music The Beatles. White album Super Deluxe.

Chekhov

Supports
A wife and three kids
My favorite album ever. I know Abbey Road, Revolver, Rubber Soul, and of course Sergeant Pepper are superior, but for some reason I just dig the White Album most of all. Quirky, eclectic, and dark as hell. I could listen to it non-stop throughout perpetuity and never tire of it.

Ainu

My favorite album ever. I know Abbey Road, Revolver, Rubber Soul, and of course Sergeant Pepper are superior, but for some reason I just dig the White Album most of all. Quirky, eclectic, and dark as hell. I could listen to it non-stop throughout perpetuity and never tire of it.
I'd add Magical Mystery Tour as well, if you consider that an actual album. For some reason White Album never did as much for me as all those albums, but there's still some excellent stuff on there. I particularly like Blackbird, probably my favourite on the album.

Pagh Wraith

Never really got it with the White Album. Some great songs on it, but a single disc record would have sufficed. Abbey Road is my favourite.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Yeah, that's what I love about it too.
Never really got it with the White Album. Some great songs on it, but a single disc record would have sufficed. Abbey Road is my favourite.
There's a lot of dross on it, but it's easy to cut that out and compile one's preferred one-disc version. Then it's a great record, imo.

buchansleftleg

Well I'm sure this will barely be mentioned in Liverpool. I know how much they like putting the past behind them and not revelling in past glories.

Looking forward to hearing all about their new vibrant music scene!

Fridge chutney

Keep in mind that the Beatles didn't really care much about football and when they did were Everton supporters so needn't be associated with lfc.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Fantastic band, but this might be the most overrated album in their discography? It's essentially the sound of three men (let's not include Ringo in this) who couldn't bear the thought of giving space to someone else's material, so they just decided to make it a double album and fill as much of that space as they could. For quite a lot of people, that makes for a diverse, interesting, unique album, but I stare at that tracklist and even now I can't quite understand what they were thinking. 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' is preceded by 'The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill', 'Blackbird' is followed by fecking 'Piggies'... :lol: Cut the tracklist down to the typical Beatles fourteen and you have another golden record, but in its current form it's hugely inconsistent and in no way deserving of a "super deluxe" edition, which I imagine will make it even fecking longer by adding bonus tracks.

Revised tracklist I'd keep:

1. Back in the USSR (McCartney)
2. Dear Prudence (Lennon)
3. Glass Onion (Lennon)
4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Harrison)
5. Happiness is a Warm Gun (Lennon)
6. I'm So Tired (Lennon)
7. Blackbird (McCartney)
--
8. Birthday (Lennon-McCartney)
9. Julia (Lennon)
10. I Will (McCartney)
11. Helter Skelter (McCartney)
12. Long, Long, Long (Harrison)
13. Revolution 1 (Lennon)
14. Mother Nature's Son (McCartney)

You get a nice mix of Lennon and McCartney's two contrasting styles without anything that's out of control, and you get Harrison's standard contribution of one or two songs. And you get all that without having to endure ... the rest.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Some mixes of Back in the USSR were released this week.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Fantastic band, but this might be the most overrated album in their discography? It's essentially the sound of three men (let's not include Ringo in this) who couldn't bear the thought of giving space to someone else's material, so they just decided to make it a double album and fill as much of that space as they could. For quite a lot of people, that makes for a diverse, interesting, unique album, but I stare at that tracklist and even now I can't quite understand what they were thinking. 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' is preceded by 'The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill', 'Blackbird' is followed by fecking 'Piggies'... :lol: Cut the tracklist down to the typical Beatles fourteen and you have another golden record, but in its current form it's hugely inconsistent and in no way deserving of a "super deluxe" edition, which I imagine will make it even fecking longer by adding bonus tracks.

Revised tracklist I'd keep:

1. Back in the USSR (McCartney)
2. Dear Prudence (Lennon)
3. Glass Onion (Lennon)
4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Harrison)
5. Happiness is a Warm Gun (Lennon)
6. I'm So Tired (Lennon)
7. Blackbird (McCartney)
--
8. Birthday (Lennon-McCartney)
9. Julia (Lennon)
10. I Will (McCartney)
11. Helter Skelter (McCartney)
12. Long, Long, Long (Harrison)
13. Revolution 1 (Lennon)
14. Mother Nature's Son (McCartney)

You get a nice mix of Lennon and McCartney's two contrasting styles without anything that's out of control, and you get Harrison's standard contribution of one or two songs. And you get all that without having to endure ... the rest.
Agreed. I heard an interview where George Martin said he wanted a single album, but the band members insisted.

The white album is such a frustrating album. Some great songs on here, but so much crap filler too with some of it even unbearable to listen to. Obviously there is Revolution 9.. What the hell?? But also Wild Honey Pie, Honey Pie, Good Night, Savoy Truffle, Bungalow Bill, Obla di, Piggies, Rocky..

The production isn't as good as on their other albums, and it's obvious that they didn't work so much on their songs, as they used to.

Harrison only shines in one track imo, and following the paths of their other albums Ringo sings on one track. So my 14 tracks would be:

Back In The USSR
Dear Prudence
Glass Onion
While My Guitar Gently Wheeps
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
I'm So Tired
Blackbird
Don't Pass Me By
Why Don't We Do It In The Road
Yer Blues
Sexy Sadie
Helter Skelter
Revolution 1
Cry Baby Cry

John_Jensen

Agreed. I heard an interview where George Martin said he wanted a single album, but the band members insisted.

The white album is such a frustrating album. Some great songs on here, but so much crap filler too with some of it even unbearable to listen to. Obviously there is Revolution 9.. What the hell?? But also Wild Honey Pie, Honey Pie, Good Night, Savoy Truffle, Bungalow Bill, Obla di, Piggies, Rocky..

The production isn't as good as on their other albums, and it's obvious that they didn't work so much on their songs, as they used to.

Harrison only shines in one track imo, and following the paths of their other albums Ringo sings on one track. So my 14 tracks would be:

Back In The USSR
Dear Prudence
Glass Onion
While My Guitar Gently Wheeps
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
I'm So Tired
Blackbird
Don't Pass Me By
Why Don't We Do It In The Road
Yer Blues
Sexy Sadie
Helter Skelter
Revolution 1
Cry Baby Cry

Drop Back in the USSR & release it as a single, start the album with Prudence and include Long, Long, Long & Julia.

Leaving out I Will is a straight red.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I’m also in the camp of “would be the best Beatles record if half the songs were removed” ... though I’m admittedly in the very small group of those who’d still put Martha My Dear in there.... and that’s despite generally hating Paul’s bizarre obsession with ragtime granny music.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If you enjoy double albums as a thing though then the shit songs are part of the charm. It's like a snapshot of the band at a particular time, good and bad included.

Mind you, I generally don't enjoy double albums for just that reason.