The best Attack/Midfield/Defense Ever

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Suggestion for midfield: Brazi 1982, Toninho Cerezo, Falcao, Socrates, Zico.
However talented it was on the ball, it lacked balance (and that was part of the reason why they failed to win the World Cup).

harms

Staff
From those that haven't been mentioned yet, I'd nominate France's backline of the late 90's - early 00's :drool:
Lizarazu - Desailly - Blanc - Thuram

Italy's defence of the late 80/early 90's wasn't half bad either (although it's quite similar to AC Milan's but there's Bergomi!)
Maldini - Baresi - Ferri - Bergomi

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Defense: Zenga—Bergomi—Baresi—Ferri—Maldini
Midfield: Busquets—Xavi—Iniesta
Attack: Pelé—Tostão—Jairzinho
From those that haven't been mentioned yet, I'd nominate France's backline of the late 90's - early 00's :drool:
Lizarazu - Desailly - Blanc - Thuram
Yep! They were exceptional. For all the hoopla around Zidane in the 1998 World Cup, their defense was the real reference point for the team, especially Thuram and Desailly:

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/07/04/sports/world-cup-98-defense-carries-france.html

Would nominate Juventus with Zoff—Gentile—Brio/Cuccureddu—Scirea—Cabrini as well, their combined nous was off the charts.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Well in that case, old enough to remember watching us in '99 and being certain that our midfield wouldn't stand a chance against the Barca midfield in question.
Then you don't remember it well, Keane and Scholes were suspended. Beckham played as CM and Giggs as RW instead of LW.

harms

Staff
I'd also add Hungary's attack from the 50's to the mix — while in Real Madrid there were 3 stars in their front 5 (Di Stefano, slightly past his best Puskas and Gento), here we have 4 world class players with arguably the top-10 player spearheading it. How they've managed not to win the World Cup is still a mystery to me.

Czibor - Puskas - Hudegkuti - Kocsis - Budai

Enigma_87

You know who
Italy's defence of the late 80/early 90's wasn't half bad either (although it's quite similar to AC Milan's but there's Bergomi!)
Maldini - Baresi - Ferri - Bergomi
Nah, it's even better than the Milan one. I'd say Ferri was also better than Costacurta individually and better fit for Baresi.

Conceded just 2 goals in the WC90 run and even had Vierchowod on the bench..

Pass and Move

Then you don't remember it well, Keane and Scholes were suspended. Beckham played as CM and Giggs as RW instead of LW.
Don't remember what well? Nobody's talking about the specific line-up in the CL final. Our midfield of the 1998/1999 season would have been outplayed by Barca's 2011 midfield.

Oldyella

:D

Some of our ex players get criminally underrated on here sometimes. That midfield was fantastic and would hold its own against any midfield.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
:D

Some of our ex players get criminally underrated on here sometimes. That midfield was fantastic and would hold its own against any midfield.
It was great but very gung-ho. We blazed through the 99 CL campaign but depended on Butt or Johnsen to step in for the away legs against Inter and Juventus. In the following two seasons we got overran which is what prompted the Verson signing. It was the wrong signing as it turned out but Fergie knew a change was needed.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
99 CL Final qas the most memorable CL Final ever, but I don't consider it as a great performance by United.
Same as City 3 - 2 QPR final league match 2012, they almost bottled it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Since I was born in 1994 I'll just do the ones I've seen. Would feel weird about putting international teams as they play together for like 10 games a year.

Defence: United 2008
Midfield: Barcelona 2011
Attack: Barcelona 2015

Van Der Sar
Brown Ferdinand Vidic Evra
Busquets
Xavi Iniesta
Messi Suarez Neymar​

Trizy

In my life time.

United 08
Barcelona 10
Barcelona 15

Obviously there are a lot of honorable mentions.

Defense:
Chelsea 04 , Milan 90s,

Midfield:
United 99, Madrid 17, City 18

Attack:
Madrid 14, Bayern 13, Brazil 02

Last edited:

onemanarmy

Attack: Puskas, Di Stefano, Gento

Together they won:

5 La Liga
3 European Cup
Copa del Rey
Intercontinental Cup

Attack I've actually seen play: Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho
Defense: Maldini, Baresi, Costacurta, Tasotti

Deleted member 101472

3-2-5 la maquina formation

Defence: Maldini, Baresi, Costacurta
Midfield: Neeskens, Van Hanegem
Attack: Pedernera, Moreno, Lostauo,Munoz, Labruna

Zlatattack

Doesn't really prove it though does it
It's not the same as claiming Charlie Adams deserves to be in there though is it. Nicky Butt wasn't spectacular at anything, but he was part of a squad and when he was needed he did a great job. I've stated (later on), that the clear winner is that Barca midfield but the united 99 midfield can't be just dismissed, same as the Arsenal invinsibles midfield. For the time both were incredible. Tactics are different, the game has evolved, but i don't think they should be dismissed because Nicky Butt was a player in that team.

Stacks

bebeanderson

The 70 Brazil is getting overrated. I prefer 1958 attack or 2002 attack. Pele-Garrincha-Vava or R9-Ronaldinho-Rivaldo

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
I think there are some midfields who could dominate against Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta. They had an advantage because they met very few elite level midfields, historically speaking. Brazil 82' has higher individual quality, France 84' was even more coherent and unplayable imo. Platini was better than any one of those Barca players and to say the other parts of that midfield were pretty good aswell would be a massive understatement.

There is also this beauty:

Germany 66'
Beckenbauer Overath
Haller

To most people, Wolfgang Overath is known for his exploits in the 74 world cup, but he was nearing 31 in that summer and in the 60s, he was up there with the very best players in the world. He won the Bundesliga with Cologne in 64, the DFB-Pokal in 68 and got himself an entry into the FIFA World XI in 68 aswell.

Helmut Haller was one of the best players in Serie A in the 60s and early 70s, winning 3 league titles in what was the strongest european league at that point. It was the time of Grande Inter by the legendary Helenio Herrera (European Cups in 64 and 65) and Rivera's Milan (European Cups in 63 and 69).

Haller scored 6 goals and Beckenbauer 4 goals from central midfield at just 20 years of age. The young Kaiser also managed to give prime Charlton one hell of a task in the final. He doesn't need any more introduction, I guess.

For me, that is the best german midfield ever and deserves to be mentioned along all the other great ones. Sadly, they missed the World Cup trophy because VAR wasn't invented:wenger:

My bet for best attack has already been mentioned (Di Stefano's Real, 5 players is cheating though:lol:), but I also wanted to give a shoutout to Barca's front line in 2009. I am not really sure if the MSN is better than Eto'o-Messi-Henry.now he scored, he is still a dud)

Reactions: harms

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You would have to give the Chelsea defense with Terry, Carvalho and Gallas and the United defense with Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra honoury mentions atleast for the defense department.

Thankfully the former unit was batting for my side but as far as the latter goes i felt they were near impossible to score past at the very prime, fighting with them for titles i had little to no faith in the lesser sides especially breaking that defense.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
You would have to give the Chelsea defense with Terry, Carvalho and Gallas and the United defense with Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra honoury mentions atleast for the defense department.

Thankfully the former unit was batting for my side but as far as the latter goes i felt they were near impossible to score past at the very prime, fighting with them for titles i had little to no faith in the lesser sides especially breaking that defense.
Incredible side defensively, Cole as well when Gallas left.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Incredible side defensively, Cole as well when Gallas left.
As good as Cole was for us overall he was a bit shaky in his first couple of years and wasn't part of the defense at it's absolute best (the back to back title seasons).

Mickfoley

Attack: I think Ronaldo, Benzema, Bale have as much claim as Neymar, Suarez, Messi. Both these sets of players have consistently been the very best.

Midfield: Has to go to Iniesta, Busquets, Xavi, they were superb. There have been a lot of good midfields, but these guys teamed up with Messi they were unstoppable. They're the sole reason Manchester United lost 2 champions league finals. If it were not for them our Tevez/Ronaldo/Rooney front 3 would have had a much longer chapter in our history.

Defence: Has to be the Milan defence of the early 90's surely?
One has three world class attackers and one had one world class attacker. I think you know now which attack was better without me naming any names.

El Pasillo

One has three world class attackers and one had one world class attacker. I think you know now which attack was better without me naming any names.
Every single player between these trios are borderline world class forwards, saying otherwise is delusional...

Having said that, I also think MSN is the best trio I'e ever seen.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Best front three I have ever seen is the Messi- Suarez-Neymar front three
Best midfield I have seen is the Xavi-Busquets-Iniesta midfield
Best defense I have ever seen The mid00s Juventus defense.

RooneyLegend

Defense: Probably the Milan late 90's one or the Italy 82.

Midfield: Very difficult between Brazil 82(Cerenzo, Sokrates, Falcao), Barca 11(Xavi, Busi, Iniesta), Brazil 70(Rivelino, Gerson, Clodoaldo) and the magic square(Girese, Tigana, Fernandez). The latter is probably out of it as they were never seen as superior to the brazil one, infact they were labeled little Brazil. So to the first 3, 82 is quite hypnotic to watch, don't believe me? actually go watch their games. I also think that although the midfield's of the Brazil side's were also ridiculously good on the ball like the Barca one was, they had more ability to change results than the Barca midfielders. They were match winners in a way that Xavi, Busquets and Iniesta never were.

Attack: Brazil 02, Brazil 58, Brazil 70, Barca 09 and Barca 15. Very confusing to pick one, when all is said and done it's probably Barca 15 but it's extremely close, all of them will get the job done, no matter which one you have you wouldn't be jealous of what another side has.

Culero

Attack: I think Ronaldo, Benzema, Bale have as much claim as Neymar, Suarez, Messi. Both these sets of players have consistently been the very best.

Midfield: Has to go to Iniesta, Busquets, Xavi, they were superb. There have been a lot of good midfields, but these guys teamed up with Messi they were unstoppable. They're the sole reason Manchester United lost 2 champions league finals. If it were not for them our Tevez/Ronaldo/Rooney front 3 would have had a much longer chapter in our history.

Defence: Has to be the Milan defence of the early 90's surely?
I think you never watched them. The BBC seriously? Since when were they the best even once let alone consistently?

El Pasillo

I think you never watched them. The BBC seriously? Since when were they the best even once let alone consistently?
Bale, Benzema & Cristiano were amazing together during 2013-14 season.

They were rightfully seen as the best attacking trio in the world at that time.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
However talented it was on the ball, it lacked balance (and that was part of the reason why they failed to win the World Cup).
I don't think that is really accurate. It was more a mentality issue because Italy's goals were the direct result of lazy passes(individual mental errors as opposed to systemic flaws). I'd say it was more the casual over-confident attitude than overall tactical balance. Serginho was the most out of place tactically after all and it's just as valid to argue that if Reinaldo had been selected they might have been able to score even more than 3 against Italy's exalted defense.

Zlatattack

Are you having a laugh? They've won 3 champions leagues together and are about to win a 4th. They've scored tonnes of goals, Ronaldo has been fifa player of the year in 4 of the last 5 years during thier time together.

Who are you trying to kid?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think our 99 midfield was top class and but maybe they are all unfashionable to some people. For me we would give anyone a game and the 99 final would have been different if we weren't missing Scholes and Keane. I think what hurt following that season was obviously Schmichael retiring so we couldn't build on it but that midfield had everything. Was it the most flamboyant? It had a touch of everything. It wasn't reliant on one aspect. I'm aware of that Barcelona team but at that time we would compete with these teams not be afraid of them...

Culero

Are you having a laugh? They've won 3 champions leagues together and are about to win a 4th. They've scored tonnes of goals, Ronaldo has been fifa player of the year in 4 of the last 5 years during thier time together.

Who are you trying to kid?
Look what you are doing, you are simply attributing titles to the names of the players. Bale wasn't even a starting player in important games for the last CL, it was Isco who completed the tandem. The only consistent one of that lot and that deserves high esteem is Ronaldo. Bale and Benzema have regressed, both of them don't have a high enough scoring output to compete with the MSN let alone performances. Ask a Real Madrid fan what they think of placing the BBC next to MSN.