The best Attack/Midfield/Defense Ever

Skills

Snitch
Yes I know the attack depends heavily on the midfield same for the defence.

Ultimately you need a midfield that compliments your attack and midfield, but let's look at them as individual units.

I was just thinking do Barcelona have a legitimate claim for the best Attack and midfield ever?

Midfield - 2011
Iniesta--Busquets---Xavi

Attack 2015
Neymar---Suarez---Messi

I'm purely basing it on when they played together. For example this isn't me importing prime Messi 2012 in that attack, but the 2015 Messi, 2015 Suarez and 2015 Neymar as of when they played together. Not only were they great individual players but they fit together so well.

Defense includes keeper by the way.

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
Atack - Brazil 1970

Pele, Tostao, Jairzinho, Rivelino.

Defence - West Germany 1974

Vogts - Beckenbauer - Schwarzenbeck - Breitner.

Midfield - the Barca one at their peak, or Carre magique

Zlatattack

Attack: I think Ronaldo, Benzema, Bale have as much claim as Neymar, Suarez, Messi. Both these sets of players have consistently been the very best.

Midfield: Has to go to Iniesta, Busquets, Xavi, they were superb. There have been a lot of good midfields, but these guys teamed up with Messi they were unstoppable. They're the sole reason Manchester United lost 2 champions league finals. If it were not for them our Tevez/Ronaldo/Rooney front 3 would have had a much longer chapter in our history.

Defence: Has to be the Milan defence of the early 90's surely?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Attack: I think Ronaldo, Benzema, Bale have as much claim as Neymar, Suarez, Messi. Both these sets of players have consistently been the very best.

Midfield: Has to go to Iniesta, Busquets, Xavi, they were superb. There have been a lot of good midfields, but these guys teamed up with Messi they were unstoppable. They're the sole reason Manchester United lost 2 champions league finals. If it were not for them our Tevez/Ronaldo/Rooney front 3 would have had a much longer chapter in our history.

Ovebro and Wolfgang Stark says hi. ;)

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Suggestion for midfield: Brazi 1982, Toninho Cerezo, Falcao, Socrates, Zico.

Skills

Snitch
Aye that's better than the Barca trio for me. The latter is incredible but far too one dimensional and that is coming from someone who worships Xavi.
Tbf it better be more dimensional if it's going to have 5 players in it.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Front three, Brazil 02? Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho.

Pass and Move

Midfield : United 99
No chance. They wouldn't get a kick of the ball against that Barca midfield. Having said that, you can't really say that the Barca midfield was only Xavi, Busquets and Iniesta as Messi and Pedro were integral to the midfield dominance too.

Moby

Dick
The late 1950s Brazil attack had Pele and Garrincha in the same team which is practically cheating.

The Madrid attack at the same time fielded Di Stefano, Puskas and Gento.

Those would be high in my rankings and deffo above the Barca 15 trio.

James Peril

Atack - Brazil 1970

Pele, Tostao, Jairzinho, Rivelino.
Yeah right, a midfield playing 50 years ago against amateurs certainly beats everything that has happened later with peak physique, tactics, stamina, technique and so forth.

James Peril

The late 1950s Brazil attack had Pele and Garrincha in the same team which is practically cheating.

The Madrid attack at the same time fielded Di Stefano, Puskas and Gento.

Those would be high in my rankings and deffo above the Barca 15 trio.
You watched a lot of those games I guess? Perfect HD-copies viewed back to back to form your own opinion? Hipster...

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
No chance. They wouldn't get a kick of the ball against that Barca midfield. Having said that, you can't really say that the Barca midfield was only Xavi, Busquets and Iniesta as Messi and Pedro were integral to the midfield dominance too.
How old are you?

Deleted member 101472

No they haven’t. MSN a cut above the BBC for sure.

Moby

Dick
Keane was a force of nature around then and overcame that Juve midfield of Deschamps Davids and Zidane all in their prime. Wouldnt count him out yet unless we are playing under La Liga refs .

A young, not yet fat, Ronaldo with Figo at Barcelona in 96/97. I seem to remember that Robson often played Figo as a support striker/trequartista that season.

Last edited:

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
The FW lines or in general formations/systems of decades ago were totally different from what we see today (for one they were more forward-heavy), but RM's 1950s/60s forward line including Di Stéfano, Puskás and Gento is definitely among the best if not the best in history.

Highlight: 1960 EC final, which is regarded as one of the matches in the history of the game, Di Stéfano scored 3 and Puskás scored 4, final result 7-3.

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
Yeah right, a midfield playing 50 years ago against amateurs certainly beats everything that has happened later with peak physique, tactics, stamina, technique and so forth.
That's a very beat up argument and ignorant way of looking it IMO. Some field and track records aren't beaten since 20 years despite nutrition, stamina, physique and so forth.

In terms of tactics naturally the game moved on, but in terms of individual players I'm not sure you can stack the current crop of players in the same way as past greats.

A young, not yet fat, Ronaldo with Figo at Barcelona in 96/97. I seem to remember that Robson often played Figo as a support striker/trequartista that season.
Very good shout that. From memory they scored in all but 1 game that season (and over 100 goals). Lucho was also key for their attack that season.

Skills

Snitch
That's a very beat up argument and ignorant way of looking it IMO. Some field and track records aren't beaten since 20 years despite nutrition, stamina, physique and so forth.

In terms of tactics naturally the game moved on, but in terms of individual players I'm not sure you can stack the current crop of players in the same way as past greats.

Very good shout that. From memory they scored in all but 1 game that season (and over 100 goals). Lucho was also key for their attack that season.
Most of them eastern European no? :wenger: