The Biden Presidency

Raoul

Admin
Staff
600 is not the same as 2000
I agree. The delivery mechanism is irrelevant. All Trump is doing in his own attention seeking way is making Biden's job easier once he's in office, since he may not be able to get more money through if there's a R Senate.

freeurmind

weak willed
I agree. The delivery mechanism is irrelevant. All Trump is doing in his own attention seeking way is making Biden's job easier once he's in office, since he may not be able to get more money through if there's a R Senate.
Sorry I misread the initial reply. Optics aren't great when Trump is the one pushing to get people more help now while Biden congratulates Congress on that atrocious bill.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Sorry I misread the initial reply. Optics aren't great when Trump is the one pushing to get people more help now while Biden congratulates Congress on that atrocious bill.
Agreed, its a ridiculous bill given all the off topic nonsense that got added to it. I don't think Trump will get any special credit for demanding more money given that he is clearly doing it as a ploy to shift media attention away from the litany of pardons he just granted. In the end, if people get 3x plus more money then its a win for everyone.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Agreed, its a ridiculous bill given all the off topic nonsense that got added to it. I don't think Trump will get any special credit for demanding more money given that he is clearly doing it as a ploy to shift media attention away from the litany of pardons he just granted. In the end, if people get 3x plus more money then its a win for everyone.
Aren't random add-ons standard practice in US bills though? I suppose it stands out more now, but I'm sure I've read about similar stuff many times before.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Aren't random add-ons standard practice in US bills though? I suppose it stands out more now, but I'm sure I've read about similar stuff many times before.
idk who i replied to in the other thread, so sorry if i'm repeating, but *the entire covid stimulus* is being done under some mexican trade agreement bill.

missed this in the student debt thread. interesting stuff, i wonder if he's referring to john kerry's plan to privatise air and forests.

Revan

Assumptionman
Does anyone know how much money would cost to wipe off the student debt?

Revan

Assumptionman
Oh my fecking god. All the memes were right. He still thinks bipartisanship is the road - and that it's going to work.
What is the other option if the Dems do not win both Georgia races? Some things can be done with executive orders, but when it comes to the budget (which directly influences most of his program) it needs to pass in the Senate. Similarly when it comes to choosing federal (and if needed supreme court) justices, it needs to pass a Senate vote (the bigger problem there would be for Mitch to give a vote in the first place).

I know that saying bipartisanship is dead is cool and all that, but what options does he have if Dems don't win both Senate races?

nimic

something nice
Scout
You'd be correct if engaging in bipartisanship would result in anything good. In reality the GOP will end up on top, like they always do when the moderate Dems try to work with them.

Revan

Assumptionman
I do not see any other option though. GOP always ending up top is a legend, go to some right-wing forum and they would be complaining that Dems get always their way in bipartisanship.

There are only two ways of doing stuff in the US: you either win both chambers of the congress and the presidency (and even then, you need to end the filibuster which seems impossible with Manchin saying that he will vote against it), or you do bipartisanship. There is no other option.

Is it good? No. But tell me some other option.

Revan

Assumptionman
Go to a right-wing forum and they will be celebrating their dominance over the Dems, rather. It's not a myth at all.
If you wanna vomit, go to thedonald.win and they would be complaining that communist Dems are getting their way all the time, and most GOP are RINOs who have sold themselves to Dems and Chinese. Of course, that is an extreme case, cause it is a genuinely alt-right forum, but still. Even in more normal forums like askaconservative, conservatives seem to think that Dems are better at negotiating. Like how we have McConnell as bogeyman, they have Pelosi.

By definition, bipartisanship means that neither side is satisfied. If you don’t like it, tough luck. Maybe find better politicians who will win both the chambers and presidency.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
idk who i replied to in the other thread, so sorry if i'm repeating, but *the entire covid stimulus* is being done under some mexican trade agreement bill.
I didn't know that bit. Yes, that's very creative...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Stop it. Don’t do that.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

thank god the resistance hero bezos post doesn't have to face the irrational opposition of the president anymore.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I don’t think anyone was really expecting the Biden presidency to be anything better than “not as bad as Trump”.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Isn't that the first word every american child says?

Sweet Square

:lol: Didnt Biden also plagiarise a speech by the UK Labour leader some time late 80s?
Yep a Neil Kinnock speech

Biden also recently said he got arrest in South Africa and that Mandela personally thanked him

Mr Biden - at the time a senator for Delaware - said he had been visiting the country with a delegation of American officials, and had planned to visit Mandela in prison.
But during the trip, Mr Biden said he had "had the great honour of being arrested with our UN ambassador on the streets of Soweto" while trying to reach the civil rights leader on Robben Island. The town of Soweto is more than 760 miles (1,223km) from Robben Island. At a black history awards brunch in Las Vegas last week, he also said Mandela had thanked him for his efforts. "He threw his arms around me and said, 'I want to say thank you,'" Mr Biden told onlookers. "I said, 'What are you thanking me for, Mr President?' He said: 'You tried to see me. You got arrested trying to see me.'"

Mr Biden's account of what happened has been rebuffed by Andrew Young, the US ambassador to the UN at the time, who says he travelled with Mr Biden to South Africa.
Local media have also failed to find any evidence of an arrest being made.Fact-checkers at the Washington Post called the claim "ridiculous" on Tuesday as they awarded it four Pinocchios.On Tuesday Mr Biden's deputy campaign manager, Kate Bedingfield, told reporters Mr Biden had been referring to an incident when "he was separated from his party at Johannesburg airport".When a journalist noted that being separated did not equate with an arrest, Ms Bedingfield repeated that it had been a "separation"."They, he was not allowed to go through the same door that the - the rest of the party he was with," said Ms Bedingfield. "Obviously, it was apartheid South Africa. There was a white door, there was a black door. He did not want to go through the white door and have the rest of the party go through the black door. He was separated."

The account echoes earlier comments made by Mr Biden, but a statement he made in 2013 gives a different account of his trip.
"When I exited the plane I was directed to one side of the tarmac, while the African American congressmen travelling with me were sent to the other side," said Mr Biden. "I refused to break off, and the officials finally relented."
He has faced scrutiny for his verbal gaffes and his long and sometimes controversial political career, including his vote in favour of the Iraq war.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51648166

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s all a big fecking game

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I have very, very low expectations for a Biden administration but that is still infinitely better than the shower of shite that has been in place for the last 4 years.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I have very, very low expectations for a Biden administration but that is still infinitely better than the shower of shite that has been in place for the last 4 years.
Yep. He can say he's an alien for all I care. Anyone is better than that excuse of a human being.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
So you walk around like Leatherface, wearing someone else's memories, get caught doing it and it doesn't even matter. Lie, cheat, steal, kill. Don't matter.

DavidDeSchmikes

Any idea how the inaguaration for Biden will work? Will it be a virtual one, or done indoors (similar to Reagan's one in 1985)

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Any idea how the inaguaration for Biden will work? Will it be a virtual one, or done indoors (similar to Reagan's one in 1985)
The inauguration people have stated that upwards of 90% to 95% of it will be virtual. Actual swearing in is the only segment that will be ‘in person’ with bare minimum of people needed to attend.

They have admitted that the swearing in might ultimately be the only ‘in person’ element when it is all said & done, however.

DavidDeSchmikes

The inauguration people have stated that upwards of 90% to 95% of it will be virtual. Actual swearing in is the only segment that will be ‘in person’ with bare minimum of people needed to attend.

They have admitted that the swearing in might ultimately be the only ‘in person’ element when it is all said & done, however.
Thanks.