The Biden Presidency

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
good article, insight into manchin and also the corruption inherent in politics

https://theintercept.com/2021/06/16/joe-manchin-leaked-billionaire-donors-no-labels/

in particular this bit:
Manchin told the assembled donors that he needed help flipping a handful of Republicans from no to yes on the January 6 commission in order to strip the “far left” of their best argument against the filibuster. The filibuster is a critical priority for the donors on the call, as it bottles up progressive legislation that would hit their bottom lines.

When it came to Sen. Roy Blunt, a moderate Missouri Republican who voted no on the commission, Manchin offered a creative solution. “Roy Blunt is a great, just a good friend of mine, a great guy,” Manchin said. “Roy is retiring. If some of you all who might be working with Roy in his next life could tell him, that’d be nice and it’d help our country. That would be very good to get him to change his vote. And we’re going to have another vote on this thing. That’ll give me one more shot at it.”

snk123

Lecturing Putin on human rights after blatantly aiding Israel in murdering children. What a hypocrite nation.

iKnowNothing

The dumbing down of general American population along party lines is hilarious. WTF propaganda are those tweets!? Dems will lap it up because Biden.

entropy

"including opposition to perceived economic, social or racial hierarchies"

“oppose all forms of capitalism and corporate globalization and governing institutions”

what in the actual feck??? how does this make someone a domestic terrorist???

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
"including opposition to perceived economic, social or racial hierarchies"

“oppose all forms of capitalism and corporate globalization and governing institutions”

what in the actual feck??? how does this make someone a domestic terrorist???

To be fair, it's written in the top paragraph what kind of activities cause someone to be considered a domestic violent extremist (DVE). The bottom section then categorizes these people by the ideas that lead them to commit those activities. It doesn't say that everyone who thinks capitalism is bad is a DVE. I think there's next to no anarchist extremism in the US, but if there would be any, the description makes sense, no?

I mean, see also the description of animal activists: what it says seems to argue in favour of their viewpoints, if anything!

Last edited:

entropy

To be fair, it's written in the top paragraph what kind of activities cause someone to be considered a domestic violent extremist (DVR). The bottom section then categorizes these people by the ideas that lead them to commit those activities. It doesn't say that everyone who thinks capitalism is bad is a DVE. I think there's next to no anarchist extremism in the US, but if there would be any, the description makes sense, no?

I mean, see also the description of animal activists: what it says seems to argue in favour of their viewpoints, if anything!
99% of domestic terrorism is right-wing lunatics. You’re right there is no evidence of the existence of so-called anarchists resorting to such acts. But legislature such as this does more to legitimize the BS claim that the threat of antifa and other leftist groups is real. It is more in line with the US history of targeting leftists and weaponizing it to surveil whomever they want. The same happened post-Ferguson riots under Obama and now under Biden.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
99% of domestic terrorism is right-wing lunatics. You’re right there is no evidence of the existence of so-called anarchists resorting to such acts. But legislature such as this does more to legitimize the BS claim that the threat of antifa and other leftist groups is real. It is more in line with the US history of targeting leftists and weaponizing it to surveil whomever they want. The same happened post-Ferguson riots under Obama and now under Biden.
Yeah, you're right, it's part of the general narrative that right-wing extremists are seen more like good patriots that have gone too far, while on the left, the narrative is rather that it's people that hate the country - and became violent.

neverdie

That's amongst the most fascist legislation I've ever read. It's approaching the level of thought crime (need not act or take steps to be classed as a domestic terrorist, need only oppose "capitalism" and "corporate globalisation"). More fascist than anything Trump did in his entire four years in office, too (including gesturing to actual fascists for support).

Is this an internal position of the Presidency or something they're trying to make law? I don't see how it is possible to make it law given the US constitution (free speech is massively protected). An alarm bell that they've drafted something like this even if only for internal consumption nonetheless.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That's amongst the most fascist legislation I've ever read. It's approaching the level of thought crime (need not act or take steps to be classed as a domestic terrorist, need only oppose "capitalism" and "corporate globalisation"). More fascist than anything Trump did in his entire four years in office, too (including gesturing to actual fascists for support).
Did you actually read the top part of the document or just the tweet? Cause the document starts by stating what behaviours would be considered problematic, and simply being against capitalism or globalism isn't one of them. As I wrote just above:
To be fair, it's written in the top paragraph what kind of activities cause someone to be considered a domestic violent extremist (DVE). The bottom section then categorizes these people by the ideas that lead them to commit those activities. It doesn't say that everyone who thinks capitalism is bad is a DVE. I think there's next to no anarchist extremism in the US, but if there would be any, the description makes sense, no?

neverdie

Did you actually read the top part of the document or just the tweet? Cause the document starts by stating what behaviours would be considered problematic, and simply being against capitalism or globalism isn't one of them. As I wrote just above:
What is the actual point of the document? I've read it, I just can't make sense of it. It can't be enforced because none of it is constitutional which is why it backtracks on itself almost instantly.

neverdie

If that's a legal position then it screams mission creep and dragnet overstepping of very vaguely defined categories. Rights groups should challenge it. If it's an internal position it is pointless but shows how confused and dangerous this administration's thinking is.

All agencies are mindful of the duty to respect privacy, civil rights, and civil liberties and to act within the authorities granted to them as they seek to put together as complete an intelligence and analytic picture as is possible.
Would seem to be intelligence protocol which is interesting because of quotes like the above to be found in the full length document. Everyone is aware of how strenuous the US IC is with regard to people's privacy, civil rights, and civil liberties as they "put together" analytic pictures. In fact, that was the summary of Snowden's leaked dossier. It was all about how great the IC was at not breaching people's civil liberties in dragnet style collection operations.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
What is the actual point of the document? I've read it, I just can't make sense of it. It can't be enforced because none of it is constitutional which is why it backtracks on itself almost instantly.
No idea. It's page 4 of something (see the bottom) and possibly it's section U.

To be clear, I'm not at all trying to say the US government isn't paranoid about the wrong things and that its intelligence offices aren't overreaching; just that this one page is being misrepresented.

Tweets - urgh.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Are you smarter than a 4th grader.

I thought that show was pretty stupid, but man it's far ahead of its time

All this, is when the whole world is watching. I can't imagine how low they'd go locally

good article, insight into manchin and also the corruption inherent in politics

https://theintercept.com/2021/06/16/joe-manchin-leaked-billionaire-donors-no-labels/

in particular this bit:
This is not even state secret, the whole filibuster thing is live on national television, it's even approved as the legit GOP SOP. Their intention is already well stated "We vow to block Democracts, in everything. Even when it's detrimental to the wellbeing of American"

How fecked up is that, even in Banana republic they at least pretend to go opposition for the goodness of the nation.

And on top of that, half of American voted for them.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

quickest fold by a govt ever? i think they lasted 2 days.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The Biden administration is officially moving forward with a Trump rulemaking that would eliminate a key government power for driving down the costs of drugs and other inventions built from federal research.

Under the Bayh-Dole Act of 1980, which governs the transfer of federally-funded research to the private sector, the government retains “march-in rights” that allow it to seize the patents for taxpayer-funded drugs and other inventions when “action is necessary to alleviate health and safety needs which are not being reasonably satisfied” or when they are not being “made available to the public under reasonable terms” and license them to responsible third parties to provide competition. It’s one of the main ways the executive branch could address excessive drug prices without needing action from Congress, which has been deadlocked on drug pricing reform measures for years.

Once finalized, the new rule would say that the government cannot use march-in rights solely because a government-funded drug or other product is being sold at an excessive price. The change has been a major lobbying aim of the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America and other industry groups that have seen more and more voters tell pollsters that the high cost of prescription drugs is among their top concerns.
https://truthout.org/articles/biden...trump-that-enables-big-pharma-to-price-gouge/

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
What’s going on with the US pulling out of Afghanistan and the reports of Taliban slowly regaining territory?
Well, they've continued their departure from Afghanistan, and they're now officially gone or pretty much or some such thing, and told Afghanistan that it should be able to contain the Taliban itself given its far superior army size. But the Taliban disagree and have used the opportunity to regain large portions.of Afghanistan's territory. I don't know if that's largely empty territory (which there's a lot of and is easier to win over), but in any case, they're clearly on the ascendant.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What’s going on with the US pulling out of Afghanistan and the reports of Taliban slowly regaining territory?
This is pretty much a good summary of things. The US are pulling out and the Taliban are gradually claiming territory. Not entirely unexpected given the fact that the Taliban have been waiting for this moment for decades.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Well, they've continued their departure from Afghanistan, and they're now officially gone or pretty much or some such thing, and told Afghanistan that it should be able to contain the Taliban itself given its far superior army size. But the Taliban disagree and have used the opportunity to regain large portions.of Afghanistan's territory. I don't know if that's largely empty territory (which there's a lot of and is easier to win over), but in any case, they're clearly on the ascendant.
What I saw was that they've mostly taken back the empty territory.