The Biden Presidency

entropy

Under the current budget structure the funds would require all types of universities competing against each other for an even smaller pool of funds. This is not only messed up but also defeats the entire purpose of equity funding for HBCU which was a huge campaign promise of Biden.

entropy

Yeah, the article that states that House Dems are the ones that have scaled back funding. Read that already. I also understand separation of powers, in case you’re wondering. Thanks.
It isn’t just about the funding. It is also about how they restructured the funding. It is a complete shift from what Biden promised. It’s fecked up and misleading.

entropy

Yeah, the article that states that House Dems are the ones that have scaled back funding. Read that already. I also understand separation of powers, in case you’re wondering. Thanks.
who is responsible for scaling back the funds? this post of yours says house dems are the ones who scaled back the funding.

Carolina Red

Staff
So it's ok to rant about democrats? cool cool
But you didn’t rant about “Democrats”. And then you doubled down when challenged on it
How is this 'Biden cutting the proposed funding' exactly? It reads in the WaPo like Biden proposed $55 billion.
Because the 55 billion which he initially
proposed isn’t going to happen.
And that’s specifically his fault?

Carolina Red

Staff
Is biden not a democrat? isn't it his campaign promise what we are discussing here????
1) duh

2) you blamed specifically him for what congress has done and then doubled down about it when challenged on it. Your own links even say the opposite of what you’re saying. That’s on you.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Biden promised things, he went to Georgia to tell people how important it was to elect 2 democrats so he could do what he promised. Democrat voters gave him the presidency and gave the democrats the congress. What he promised is all going to shit. So he either lied and misled people, didn't know his own party or is unable to lead them effectively. Neither option is good and if I had voted for him I'd be pissed.

One can argue congress is to blame for some things, but as americans love to say (or at least I've heard this expression a million times in news channels), the bucket stops with the president.

Biden definitely has better press than he deserves.

Carolina Red

Staff
I mean he is the president and it is his campaign promise that his own party seems to be ditching. Like, how is any of this not related to Biden??
Because that isn’t how our government works under the Constitution. Congress is a separate entity and they’re the ones butchering the plan. Blame them and I’ll agree with you. Until then, what you’ve done here is the intellectual equivalent of conservatives blaming Biden for gas prices.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Biden promised things, he went to Georgia to tell people how important it was to elect 2 democrats so he could do what he promised. Democrat voters gave him the presidency and gave the democrats the congress. What he promised is all going to shit. So he either lied and misled people, didn't know his own party or is unable to lead them effectively. Neither option is good and if I had voted for him I'd be pissed.

One can argue congress is to blame for some things, but as americans love to say (or at least I've heard this expression a million times in news channels), the bucket stops with the president.

Biden definitely has better press than he deserves.
As you said, most things get bogged down in Congress, which Biden has no control over. Therefore moaning about things he campaigned on, but hasn't yet done in his first year, should be directed at Republican obstruction instead of the guy who is trying to actually move policy.

Last edited:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
As you said, most things get bogged down in Congress, which Biden has no control over. Therefore moaning about things campaigned on, but hasn't yet done in his first year, should be directed at Republican obstruction instead of the guy who is trying to actually move policy.
Maybe I haven't followed it with full attention, but aren't things being blocked by 2 democrats?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Maybe I haven't followed it with full attention, but aren't things being blocked by 2 democrats?
The fact that it has become commonplace that it is down to 2 Dems is an indictment as to where we are. It ignores that 50 Republicans have abandoned their responsibility to govern.

entropy

Because that isn’t how our government works under the Constitution. Congress is a separate entity and they’re the ones butchering the plan. Blame them and I’ll agree with you. Until then, what you’ve done here is the intellectual equivalent of conservatives blaming Biden for gas prices.
Congress didn’t promise 55$ billion to HBCUs. Biden did. It is his job to deliver on his campaign promise. It’s why we have elections and people voted for Biden. Stop carrying water for terrible politicians.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
The fact that it has become commonplace that it is down to 2 Dems is an indictment as to where we are. It ignores that 50 Republicans have abandoned their responsibility to govern.
The latest bill they've been talking about all week could be passed without republicans, no?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yes, for the most part. And Biden has no control over them. The Republicans have also undertaken a policy of full on obstruction which is compounding the problem of reliance on Manchin and Sinema.

Carolina Red

Staff
Congress didn’t promise 55$ billion to HBCUs. Biden did. It is his job to deliver on his campaign promise. It’s why we have elections and people vote for Biden. Stop carrying water for terrible politicians.
You are at this point either completely oblivious to the concept of separation of powers or you are being intentionally ridiculous to try and save face. Neither is a good look. High school sophomores figure this stuff out faster.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The latest bill they've been talking about all week could be passed without republicans, no?
that has absolutely no bearing on my post. The Republicans have abandoned their responsibility to govern, up to threatening to decimate the world economy for no other reason than to ”own the libs”

entropy

Between record ice detentions, jailing migrants at borders, canceling student debt, ensuring equity amongst HBCU, issuing drilling permits, Biden has failed to deliver on any of these promises. And he rightly deserves the blame coming his way.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Yes, for the most part. And Biden has no control over them.
Assuming Biden's a competent politician, he knew those 2 democrats' positions before the election.

If so, don't you think it's fair to say he misled voters by promising something he knew he couldn't do?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
that has absolutely no bearing on my post. The Republicans have abandoned their responsibility to govern, up to threatening to decimate the world economy for no other reason than to ”own the libs”
I agree with you, but even if those 50 republican senators decided to abandon their responsibilities, Biden's party controls the whole thing and he still can't do what he promised. He's been in DC since the jurassic era, so he knows how things work. How do you explain this? He didn't know what Manchin would allow? He can't pressure them? He knew all this and misled his voters? However I look at it, he deserves criticism.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I agree with you, but even if those 50 republican senators decided to abandon their responsibilities, Biden's party controls the whole thing and he still can't do what he promised. He's been in DC since the jurassic era, so he knows how things work. How do you explain this? He didn't know what Manchin would allow? He can't pressure them? He knew all this and misled his voters? However I look at it, he deserves criticism.
my point had nothing to do with Biden. It has everything to do with the fact that by focusing on those two ass hats we ignore that one party wants the country to burn.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
my point had nothing to do with Biden. It has everything to do with the fact that by focusing on those two ass hats we ignore that one party wants the country to burn.
Why can't we do both?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
While that's true, the current discussion is about Biden's performance controlling his own party. Clearly, he's not doing too well with that. For a Washington insider of several decades, that's disappointing.

It's also not a surprise the Senate had this composition; it now being 50-50 is better than expected (isn't it?). So if the current difficulties were expected, he could have mentioned that during the campaign. And if the next point is that campaigns are full of overblown rhetorics and promises: we can always want better of politicians nonetheless.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Assuming Biden's a competent politician, he knew those 2 democrats' positions before the election.

If so, don't you think it's fair to say he misled voters by promising something he knew he couldn't do?
I don't think that since he didn't know whether the Senate would be in R or D hands after the election, during the campaign. Also, the policies he's pushing are largely the platform of the Dem party, to where it was expected all Dems would rally behind them once he was in office. The fact that the balance of power in the Senate is so precarious, means that any Dem Senator who disagrees with Biden on the scope of his spending, will wield incredible power over the entire Dem policy platform. This is not something he has control over.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I don't think that since he didn't know whether the Senate would be in R or D hands after the election, during the campaign. Also, the policies he's pushing are largely the platform of the Dem party, to where it was expected all Dems would rally behind them once he was in office. The fact that the balance of power in the Senate is so precarious, means that any Dem Senator who disagrees with Biden on the scope of his spending, will wield incredible power over the entire Dem policy platform. This is not something he has control over.
After the election, he was in Georgia making the exact same promises he did during his campaign. At that point, he knew that if the 2 democrats won, he'd have a majority. Do you believe at that point, looking at a 50-50 senate, he didn't know how someone like Manchin would react when his promises became legislation to be voted in the senate?

I think we keep arriving at the same place, he either isn't as good as he portrayed himself to be or he misled the voters. Neither option is good for Biden.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
After the election, he was in Georgia making the exact same promises he did during his campaign. At that point, he knew that if the 2 democrats won, he'd have a majority. Do you believe at that point, looking at a 50-50 senate, he didn't know how someone like Manchin would react when his promises became legislation to be voted in the senate?

I think we keep arriving at the same place, he either isn't as good as he portrayed himself to be or he misled the voters. Neither option is good for Biden.
He wouldn't know that (for example) Manchin and Sinema would not want to spend what Biden would (never mind how much progressives wanted) on things like infrastructure. 96 % of Dem Senators support Biden's infrasctucture agenda, so ultimately, all delays fall square on the shoulders of Manchin and Sinema and Republican obstruction.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Sorry, I don't understand.
with the exception of once a year reconciliation bills everything else requires 60 votes to shut down Republican filibusters. So sure, if you only care about the one bill a year let’s focus on this 2 asshats. But if you care about good governance, like you know avoiding a global Economic collapse, pay attention to the other 99% of what the Senate does.