The Biden Presidency

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It's worrying, we all slip and have our absent minded moment at times, but considering it's happening quite often for someone who's a President of the strongest and most influential nation on earth, it is kind of worrying.

I doubt his mind can handle the stress and having the sharpness to digest high level intense discussion when he can barely read a teleprompt

Last edited:

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
What are the excuses used for this kind of stuff? Because that moment and so many others like it quite clearly have nothing to do with his stutter.

Mental if he runs again. I think he will though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think everyone is waiting for the mid term results.

If the Dems lose a lot of House seats (which is expected), I suspect the pressure for Biden to not run again will go up.

Trump and DeSantis are also likely waiting to see how this unfolds.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I think everyone is waiting for the mid term results.

If the Dems lose a lot of House seats (which is expected), I suspect the pressure for Biden to not run again will go up.

Trump and DeSantis are also likely waiting to see how this unfolds.
Pretty much this.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
He can't run again. He said in 2020 that he was only running for one term to get rid of Trump. To go back on that, especially considering his obvious mental acuity issues, would be a big mistake for the Dems since many independents and undecideds could very well vote for a DeSantis simply on the basis of Biden not being up for it.

Newsom would probably be the best choice at this point. He's very sharp and could easily riposte against Republican attacks on social media and in debates. After the fall of Cuomo, I can't see another Dem at the moment who could muster such a good challenge. Kamala has done nothing as VP to improve her position relative to 2020 (although she has bargained with Newsom before and he might not run if she does sadly). Buttigieg, the corporate darling, might throw his hat in as well but I don't like him nearly as much as Newsom and he still doesn't have a whole lot of experience.

SirAF

Ageist
He can't run again. He said in 2020 that he was only running for one term to get rid of Trump. To go back on that, especially considering his obvious mental acuity issues, would be a big mistake for the Dems since many independents and undecideds could very well vote for a DeSantis simply on the basis of Biden not being up for it.

Newsom would probably be the best choice at this point. He's very sharp and could easily riposte against Republican attacks on social media and in debates. After the fall of Cuomo, I can't see another Dem at the moment who could muster such a good challenge. Kamala has done nothing as VP to improve her position relative to 2020 (although she has bargained with Newsom before and he might not run if she does sadly). Buttigieg, the corporate darling, might throw his hat in as well but I don't like him nearly as much as Newsom and he still doesn't have a whole lot of experience.
I really like what I’m hearing/reading about Newsom. However, would you say that being from California might be an electability issue in, say, middle America?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I really like what I’m hearing/reading about Newsom. However, would you say that being from California might be an electability issue in, say, middle America?
He was pretty unequivocal in saying he is not running in 24.

neverdie

it's been obvious that he's suffering with dementia for a long time. it's a kind of abuse to let him run again regardless of what happens in the midterms. dems will surely be looking for alternative 24 candidates and i'd guess it's already happening behind the scenes. even if he had a clean bill of health, pushing 80 moving into a second term would be a bad idea. that he has these moments where he's struggling with his immediate environment and is being stage managed, poorly, by his team is just reason enough to not prolong it. that video is not the worst one i've seen this week. i just don't post that kind of stuff or tend not to engage with it because it's lowest common denominator criticism mostly, but in this case it does actually matter.

i thought this was all there in the leadup to 2020 btw. you could see he had regressed which is hardly a surprise considering his advancing age.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
it's been obvious that he's suffering with dementia for a long time. it's a kind of abuse to let him run again regardless of what happens in the midterms. dems will surely be looking for alternative 24 candidates and i'd guess it's already happening behind the scenes. even if he had a clean bill of health, pushing 80 moving into a second term would be a bad idea. that he has these moments where he's struggling with his immediate environment and is being stage managed, poorly, by his team is just reason enough to not prolong it. that video is not the worst one i've seen this week. i just don't post that kind of stuff or tend not to engage with it because it's lowest common denominator criticism mostly, but in this case it does actually matter.

i thought this was all there in the leadup to 2020 btw. you could see he had regressed which is hardly a surprise considering his advancing age.
I think he could do another term if he had handlers like Reagan did, but right now it is evocative, albeit to a lesser degree, of what is happening with Herschel Walker.

neverdie

I think he could do another term if he had handlers like Reagan did, but right now it is evocative, albeit to a lesser degree, of what is happening with Herschel Walker.
he'll have three or four years on reagan before he begins his second term, if he does run again and win. most say reagan's dementia didn't become a factor until his second term even if some claim it was there in his first term. i suppose biden could do it in theory but it doesn't give you a good sense of what's needed to be president if we're talking about ways to handle someone through that office for four years with knowledge of the likely problems well in advance. i think he served his function. if he goes down as the person who got trump thrown out and maybe for the i.r.a. legislation, then it'll be a good record. so i suppose it's less about whether it can be done and more about whether it should be done.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I don't see that type of thing as relevant anymore. GOP and especially trumpsters will paint any Dem with the "far-left" label and the same percent of their base will buy it. I don't think the Dems running someone from a red state (Beto O'Rourke for example) would help flip that state any more than any articulate charismatic Democrat regardless of what state their from. Obama was from a solid blue state and heavily associated with Chicago.
I wouldn't use odds to check on these things. As @calodo2003 says, you have to look at the top US pollsters.
I don't think pollsters have relevance to trump running in 24.

It's going to come down to his legal issues and where those are at. For me it looks like Trump wouldn't run based on how many legal angles he's being attacked from

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
A plethora of US based quality pollsters have Biden winning the popular vote from anywhere between 2% to 5%. I’ll put my money behind them. I remember how well UK bookies did last time.
Popular vote isn't all that relevant because of the electoral college and how much state GOPs have stacked the deck. 2/3 GOP wins in the 21st century came with them losing the popular vote and 24 will have more state GOP advantages than any other year.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
I’ve talked to some secret service/homeland security guys several months ago who all but confirmed his dementia and that he’s senile. Kamala is just as incompetent. As much as I don’t like newsom he’d be a smarter candidate for the dems.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Popular vote isn't all that relevant because of the electoral college and how much state GOPs have stacked the deck. 2/3 GOP wins in the 21st century came with them losing the popular vote and 24 will have more state GOP advantages than any other year.
I know, that’s why I wrote it as such. I still would not bet my house on what a bookie says about who will win.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I know, that’s why I wrote it as such. I still would not bet my house on what a bookie says about who will win.
I wouldn't even bet a dollar on who a pollster says will win the 2024 election before we even have the 2022 midterms and we have so much up in the air from Ukraine-Russia to Biden's mental acuity to Trump's legal issues.

I’ve talked to some secret service/homeland security guys several months ago who all but confirmed his dementia and that he’s senile. Kamala is just as incompetent. As much as I don’t like newsom he’d be a smarter candidate for the dems.
Why don't you like Newsom? I think he's the strongest candidate the Dems could potentially have since Obama.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think the growing sentiment is that the Dems get clobbered in the mid terms (at least enough to swing about 20-30 house seats in the opposite direction) which then results in Biden announcing he's not running in 24.

At that point Gavin, Harris, and Pete probably become the three primary contenders for the Dems, while Trump and DeSantis begin their inevitable fight for the R nomination (I think DeSantis ultimately wins that fight).

Personally, I think there's a decent chance the Dem ticket could end up Gavin/Pete . The Rs would likely counter with DeSantis/Noem (or the like), which would set up a pretty good 2024 election fight.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
I wouldn't even bet a dollar on who a pollster says will win the 2024 election before we even have the 2022 midterms and we have so much up in the air from Ukraine-Russia to Biden's mental acuity to Trump's legal issues.

Why don't you like Newsom? I think he's the strongest candidate the Dems could potentially have since Obama.
It's not a strong dislike or anything. But CA is becoming shittier every year it seems and the buck ultimately stops at him. Crime and homeless is getting worse, everything from housing to food is getting even more expensive than it already was. He hasn't handled any of these things well in my opinion. My ire is more focused locally with our joke of a DA Gascon. I agree that Newsom is one of the stronger candidates for the dems though. He'd at least be more competent than Biden and Harris.

RedDevilQuebecois

I don't see that type of thing as relevant anymore. GOP and especially trumpsters will paint any Dem with the "far-left" label and the same percent of their base will buy it. I don't think the Dems running someone from a red state (Beto O'Rourke for example) would help flip that state any more than any articulate charismatic Democrat regardless of what state their from. Obama was from a solid blue state and heavily associated with Chicago.
That's about it for me as well.

The situation in the US with this many (uneducated and unsophisticated) people falling for anything demands that the next Democrat in line for the presidency to be someone with a high salespitch and the ability to throw punches within the limits of political decorum. Being from California means next to feck all to someone's electability if he takes the fight head on against the Republican candidate, which will be necessary until the GOP somehow regains some form of overall sanity of old.

Wing Attack Plan R

Were these the same people storming the capitol on Jan 6? Oh, but I trust you, Random Internet Guy with secret connections.

frostbite

I think the growing sentiment is that the Dems get clobbered in the mid terms (at least enough to swing about 20-30 house seats in the opposite direction) which then results in Biden announcing he's not running in 24.

At that point Gavin, Harris, and Pete probably become the three primary contenders for the Dems, while Trump and DeSantis begin their inevitable fight for the R nomination (I think DeSantis ultimately wins that fight).

Personally, I think there's a decent chance the Dem ticket could end up Gavin/Pete . The Rs would likely counter with DeSantis/Noem (or the like), which would set up a pretty good 2024 election fight.
I like this scenario! Cheers!

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Were these the same people storming the capitol on Jan 6? Oh, but I trust you, Random Internet Guy with secret connections.
Don't know. There were a bunch of them in LA for the Summit of the Americas and we worked a dignitary detail with them. Just small-talked with them. Also said that the Bidens were nudists.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I’ve talked to some secret service/homeland security guys several months ago who all but confirmed his dementia and that he’s senile.
That seems incredibly unlikely. Several secret service/homeland security guys told you that the President has dementia? Why would they do that? Obviously it wasn't very smart of them, since you're now relaying the story online.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
That seems incredibly unlikely. Several secret service/homeland security guys told you that the President has dementia? Why would they do that? Obviously it wasn't very smart of them, since you're now relaying the story online.
Hence I said they “all but confirmed” based on their stories.

The United

It's not a strong dislike or anything. But CA is becoming shittier every year it seems and the buck ultimately stops at him. Crime and homeless is getting worse, everything from housing to food is getting even more expensive than it already was. He hasn't handled any of these things well in my opinion. My ire is more focused locally with our joke of a DA Gascon. I agree that Newsom is one of the stronger candidates for the dems though. He'd at least be more competent than Biden and Harris.
I mean which state is not becoming shitter nowadays?

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
I mean which state is not becoming shitter nowadays?
True, but there’s been a mass exodus of Californians never seen before in its history. It’s all relative of course. But for how expensive it is and it’s getting, it’s just not worth it anymore. It’s come to that tipping point for many of these families where the negatives are now outweighing the positives. I’ve had several family friends and coworkers move out of California and more are planning to do so soon. Not to mention the many companies that have moved away also.