The Biden Presidency

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
feck him if what is being reported is true that he will not veto the House bill to essentially remove self governance from DC.

RedDevilQuebecois

He’s going to have no one credible running against him in the primary. He’s anything but finished.
If there is one area where a primary would make sense, it would be for the VP position. Since Kamala Harris has not found a way to make a stronger impression so far as VP, it's time for some action to take place on that front. The person who wins the VP primary would most likely become the next POTUS right after Joe Biden as well. Biden still holds firm now while what matters more is about preparing the man or woman following him.

For the record, the delegates at the DNC were allowed to freely vote for the running mate in 1944. That was how Harry Truman replaced Henry Wallace as VP to FDR and eventually became President in 1945.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If there is one area where a primary would make sense, it would be for the VP position. Since Kamala Harris has not found a way to make a stronger impression so far as VP, it's time for some action to take place on that front. The person who wins the VP primary would most likely become the next POTUS right after Joe Biden as well. Biden still holds firm now while what matters more is about preparing the man or woman following him.

For the record, the delegates at the DNC were allowed to freely vote for the running mate in 1944. That was how Harry Truman replaced Henry Wallace as VP to FDR, eventually becoming President in 1945.
Biden could just as easily not select Harris to be his running mate since VPs aren't elected. He of course won't do that because he needs the Clyburn posse to turn out if he wants any chance of reelection.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Guess what fecker, you can’t be about “elections have consequences” and then go “nah, we’re going to let an entire branch of government in which you have no representation overrule your elected representatives.”

Looks like Biden wants to get in on the DeSantis fascism train.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Not getting that tweet. Someone explain it to me like I am five. Or link up an article.
City council passed legislation on police reform and I believe overrode the mayor's veto. As DC is a federal enclave of millions of disenfranchised voters, congress can override the city council. The house already did so and I believe Biden is saying that, should the Senate pass it, because he does not agree with the city council he is not going to veto the bill.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
City council passed legislation on police reform and I believe overrode the mayor's veto. As DC is a federal enclave of millions of disenfranchised voters, congress can override the city council. The house already did so and I believe Biden is saying that, should the Senate pass it, because he does not agree with the city council he is not going to veto the bill.
What was the police reform that was passed? How drastic?

whitbyviking

He’s going to have no one credible running against him in the primary. He’s anything but finished.
I haven't researched the potential candidates, I must admit.

My opinion is based on the previous election, during which he was kept well clear of the media, and any negative news was kept relatively quiet. Now he seems to be a lot more exposed to things, and from people on the same side of the fence. I think it'll be brutal for him this time and thought the Democrats might be shuffling him out of the door in preparation. Could/will be a horrible election methinks.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Biden bucks liberals and tells Democrats to get tough on crime

WASHINGTON — President Joe Biden’s decision Thursday on a local crime law sends a national message to fellow Democrats about how he believes they should address Republican criticism of the nation's rising crime rates.

Democrats have focused predominantly on police reform since the George Floyd protests reignited a national debate over race and law enforcement three years ago. But rising violent crime rates and growing perceptions of unease in major cities have prompted a chorus of party strategists and officials to call for a tougher approach to counter Republican attacks. Biden — who has a history of pushing for stauncher crime laws — has tried to straddle the Democratic divide but was forced this week to choose sides when he said he wouldn't allow the Washington, D.C., city government to enact laws that would lower some criminal penalties.

“If Republicans thought President Biden would hand them a wedge issue for 2024, they thought wrong,” said Democratic strategist Lis Smith, a veteran of former President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign and an architect of Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg’s rise. “It’s going to be very hard to define him as soft on crime after he’s denounced defunding the police and reducing sentences for crimes like carjackings.”
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/wh...als-tells-democrats-get-tough-crime-rcna73286

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
This, combined with the DC issue, suggests that the Dems will be prioritizing "tough on crime" talk over actual principals (if they had any) for the purposes of winning 24. It's all a game to them and regular people are just pawns.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
This, combined with the DC issue, suggests that the Dems will be prioritizing "tough on crime" talk over actual principals (if they had any) for the purposes of winning 24. It's all a game to them and regular people are just pawns.
Politicians with actual principles are about as common as a Fox News primetime show saying something accurate or Marjorie Taylor-Greene saying something you agree with!

NM

Well if they didn't follow that approach they would lose in 24 and you would have Trump in the White House.. I'm sure that would be the prefered approach right?

The US isn't ready for change. I live here, like you, and see it every day.

The United

Well if they didn't follow that approach they would lose in 24 and you would have Trump in the White House.. I'm sure that would be the prefered approach right?

The US isn't ready for change. I live here, like you, and see it every day.
Lesser evil and shit..

Also these parties will do anything to win. Tbf to them, what can they do anyway if they don't win.

Sweet Square

Exactly, if Democrats don't do Republican policies, then Republicans will win the White House and start doing Republican policies. It's too much of risk to change things at the moment imo.

NM

Exactly, if Democrats don't do Republican policies, then Republicans will win the White House and start doing Republican policies. It's too much of risk to change things at the moment imo.
Absolutist reasons like this is why the Republicans win elections. I want utopia and I want it now! Let's ignore the 200 years of history that got the people of the country where they are (rightly or wrongly, mostly wrongly).. I hate US politics

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
you don't get it at all.
when the republicans announce a plan to kill 20 million people, and biden angrily says his plan to kill 10 miilion people is better planned and doesn't increase the budget deficit, you are making a grave moral sin if you don't praise, vote, campaign for biden. you are personally signing the death warrants of 10 million people.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Absolutist reasons like this is why the Republicans win elections. I want utopia and I want it now! Let's ignore the 200 years of history that got the people of the country where they are (rightly or wrongly, mostly wrongly).. I hate US politics
And in the UK it's why the Tories win most elections

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Being able to vocalize and fight for the status quo (because we are going backwards in so many areas), let alone progress is a necessity. I will still plug my nose and vote for the least bad option, because that is the only thing that I can do on election day, but to just go with the flow and say/do nothing the other days of the year is a suicidal frame of mind to have.

Sweet Square

you don't get it at all.
when the republicans announce a plan to kill 20 million people, and biden angrily says his plan to kill 10 miilion people is better planned and doesn't increase the budget deficit, you are making a grave moral sin if you don't praise, vote, campaign for biden. you are personally signing the death warrants of 10 million people.
:lol:

The Chapo bit about both sides accepting cages for immigrates and really the politics is arguing over to feel about it(Democrats = we need cages but lets feel bad about it vs Republican = immigrates deserver to be put in cages, so don't feel bad about it)is depressingly true.

RedDevilQuebecois

And in the UK it's why the Tories win most elections
Thank God that it is not the case in Canada. Every single time that the Tories are in power, they always leave a far bigger mess than when they came in. No wonder why the Tories have had the short end of the stick since Wilfrid Laurier was first elected PM in 1896.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm not the only measure. Biden is not a progressive but he's on the left and roughly 50% of America sees it that way.
He’s a centrist Dem, which isn’t left. It doesn’t matter if random non politically savvy observers see it that way. Only Republicans and those who sympathize with them see Biden as a lefty.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Biden is not a progressive but he's on the left and roughly 50% of America sees it that way.
If you look at the 20 countries with the highest standards of living, the US would be the most economically right-leaning out of all of them by a comfortable margin. To be considered left-leaning in the US means very little on a global scale.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'm not the only measure. Biden is not a progressive but he's on the left and roughly 50% of America sees it that way.
Left of republicans does not mean left wing.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
If you look at the 20 countries with the highest standards of living, the US would be the most economically right-leaning out of all of them by a comfortable margin. To be considered left-leaning in the US means very little on a global scale.
Most of the top 20 are categorically left wing!

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Most of the top 20 are categorically left wing!
Not according to political theory.

But compared to the US? Sure. England, Switzerland and Japan would be the only exceptions, I guess.

Economically speaking, obviously.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He’s a centrist Dem, which isn’t left. It doesn’t matter if random non politically savvy observers see it that way. Only Republicans and those who sympathize with them see Biden as a lefty.
Who do you consider "politcally savvy" observers? Described as center left: "https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/09/us/politics/biden-sanders-trump-election.html". He himself also has described himself as such and the majority of his voters think so as well.

We're talking about the US though. Universal definitions crumble when talking about political ideologies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Who do you consider "politcally savvy" observers? Described as center left: "https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/09/us/politics/biden-sanders-trump-election.html". He himself also has described himself as such and the majority of his voters think so as well.

We're talking about the US though. Universal definitions crumble when talking about political ideologies.
Random folks who don’t follow politics and get whatever little news they watch from biased sources are not a particularly reliable group to use. No sane person thinks Biden is a leftist. The only exception would be right wingers. Are you a right winger by chance ?