The Biden Presidency

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
How much of the bottom list can be done just through executive orders, though? I guess you might be able to get some stuff through if there's a GOPer willing to go along with it, but Collins doesn't even have to worry about re-election anymore. Hopefully Trumpers sit out the run-offs in Georgia in protest.
Actually a lot can be done through executive orders, but it's up to what Biden wants to push through. Also, a court can rule them unconstitutional if they overreach.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Changed it for you.

on a (semi) serious note, what are the chances of Biden dying in the next 4 years?

I’ve nothing to back this up, but it’s got to be a good 20% chance of him snuffing it?
i don't wish no one's death but IMHO Kamala would be a better president than Biden, so if he happens to have a weird yatch accident, you wont see me crying

anyway, Biden took Trump out of office, that's quite an achievement

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
How much of the bottom list can be done just through executive orders, though? I guess you might be able to get some stuff through if there's a GOPer willing to go along with it, but Collins doesn't even have to worry about re-election anymore. Hopefully Trumpers sit out the run-offs in Georgia in protest.
Aren't there a few more sensible GOP senators? Like Romney and the one from Alaska (forgot her name). Given Biden.moved centre-right in his campaign, they might find significant common ground.

Lj82

There is another dimension to the Covid 19 situation which has implications for the rest of the world, that is to make vaccines available to the rest of the world when they are ready. I do not trust Trump to do the right thing. Hopefully the Biden admin will.

Sandyman

It's amazing that Biden just speaking normally and in complete sentences will be considered as an improvement over the previous presidency. The bar has never been lower.

WPMUFC

Time for progressives to join Biden on policy that matters and protest him when he tries to play GOP-lite.

Progressives have a chance now to push for real change. Some progressives are too jaded on here. It's now time to join with Bernie and get him to influence Biden.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
WTF? If Biden votes against, the bill would have still passed.

The blame is in Bush, Cheney, and co., not in some random senator who voted for it.
Chariman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee for Iraq and chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee for Thomas.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Watching some of the fawning over Harris and Biden, it's very easy to understand Trump's success, for these are the seeds from which all cult worship grows. A hopeless species.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Time for progressives to join Biden on policy that matters and protest him when he tries to play GOP-lite.

Progressives have a chance now to push for real change. Some progressives are too jaded on here. It's now time to join with Bernie and get him to influence Biden.
That is not happening this term. The team they put together is GOP-light.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Depends on Senate. If Dems win both Georgia seats, this may be realistic, else GOP lite is as much as we can expect as bipartisan measures before 2022 senate elections...and that too is a stretch.

Pushing progressive agenda is still a far stretch from reality.

TheGame

Watching some of the fawning over Harris and Biden, it's very easy to understand Trump's success, for these are the seeds from which all cult worship grows. A hopeless species.
A lot of it is mixed in with finally seeing the back of Trump. Also a BAME person in a top governance job in America is a first. I wouldn’t describe it as a cult at all. They do have a challenging job with governing America ahead.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Is anyone expecting much?

We're all happy Trump is gone. But otherwise the energy I'm getting is "the last 4 years was an aberration". I don't think they were. A successful Biden administration recognizes this. But we wait and watch.

Anyway... What is the bare minimum?

1. Strengthening the ACA
2. Nationwide rollout of COVID plan
3. Re-entering the Paris Accords
4. Tougher stance on Rocketman and Putin

What would be great:

1. Passing a strengthened VRA
2. Packing the courts
3. Introducing DC as a state
4. Expanding the federal judiciary
5. Forgiving some student debt
6. Public option
Very little of that bottom list is going to be possible without winning the senate. And even then probably not without a comfortable majority in the senate.

In politics, you’ve got to play the hand you’re dealt. And at this time, it means Biden will be judged on his ability to fight the pandemic and marshal an economic recovery. He also has to rebuild the state department and America’s traditional alliances around the world. Anything else is a bonus.

Last edited:

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
That "I'm Irish" comment from Biden doing the rounds on Twitter seemed to seriously hit a nerve with a lot of British people.

Classical Mechanic

That "I'm Irish" comment from Biden doing the rounds on Twitter seemed to seriously hit a nerve with a lot of British people.
It will be better for Britain and Brexit ultimately. The truth is that the US - UK trade isn’t actually worth that much because there’s already a high level trade agreement between the two countries. The proposed deal with Trump was estimated to be worth 0.16% of GDP at best! The Tories were in danger of accepting it to please the libertarians in the party and because the UK public spend so much time injecting Americana into their eyeballs they’d be fooled into thinking the deal was great simply because it’s the USA.

It‘s very bad news for Farage, Hannan and the other British libertarians that wanted to completely deregulate trade.

Untd55

Trump’s lost. Any chance we could rid redcafe of Trump-style bullshit now he’s gone?
Saw this exact type of blather during my foray in Parler.
What the everlasting feck are you talking about?
I'm glad people find the idea of infantile genocide so funny. It reflects well on you. Just look it up, it isn't even hard to find.

Naral are very well known, by the way. But, I guess you would want to sweep it under the rug because it doesn't fit with your ideology.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I'm glad people find the idea of infantile genocide so funny. It reflects well on you. Just look it up, it isn't even hard to find.

Naral are very well known, by the way. But, I guess you would want to sweep it under the rug because it doesn't fit with your ideology.
Naral are indeed very well known...as a pro women's choice campaigner. Not for "infantile genocide". Instead of telling people to "look it up" please provide your own sources.

I could "look up" the phrase 'mickey mouse causes skin cancer' and find a source. Doesn't mean it's accurate.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Naral are indeed very well known...as a pro women's choice campaigner. Not for "infantile genocide". Instead of telling people to "look it up" please provide your own sources.

I could "look up" the phrase 'mickey mouse causes skin cancer' and find a source. Doesn't mean it's accurate.
I knew it!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Stop virtue signalling man.

Kaos

It will be better for Britain and Brexit ultimately. The truth is that the US - UK trade isn’t actually worth that much because there’s already a high level trade agreement between the two countries. The proposed deal with Trump was estimated to be worth 0.16% of GDP at best! The Tories were in danger of accepting it to please the libertarians in the party and because the UK public spend so much time injecting Americana into their eyeballs they’d be fooled into thinking the deal was great simply because it’s the USA.

It‘s very bad news for Farage, Hannan and the other British libertarians that wanted to completely deregulate trade.
Which is good news for the rest of us.

Mike Smalling

Why are people so excited by a person who is funded by Naral? Naral are an abortion agency that supports abortion up to birth when babies are fully formed. I don't get why anyone would so excited when supported by something so sick.
I am not going to pretend to know everything about NARAL and their activities, but scaremongering about 'abortions up to birth', 'partial-birth abortion', etc. is the mother of all strawmen in the abortion debate. Typically it is used by right-wing evangelicals, who want to ban abortion altogether. Pete Buttigieg had an excellent explanation of this in his Fox News town hall.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He hasn't delivered M4A yet. He's just as bad as Trump.

He only one the popular vote by 4m, as others have said 71m of his constituents voted against him. But whatever you think of them, he is still their President. And unlike the orange thunderc*nt, he will try to govern for the whole country, not just those that voted for him. Anyone expecting differently will be disappointed.

It is still turning the Titanic before it's on a path to definitively hit the iceberg, imo. The issues are still there: the divisiveness, institutions enabling minority rule, money-running politics and so forth. But at least the future isn't as clearly written as failure anymore.

For those bitter that the US didn't elect a more progressive candidate, I'd suggest just waiting before you give up, and maybe being appreciative for at least a few days they didn't re-elect Donald Trump.

SirAF

Ageist

:lol: :lol:

Yes, they are well known. That's the only correct thing you have written here.

decorativeed

Hopefully going to be posting much less in this thread than in the previous (impeached) President's thread.

One (quite possibly the only) good thing to say about Trump is that he didn't invade any other country (although it seemed touch and go with Iran before Covid), which seems to be standard for US leaders. Hopefully Biden will be just as restrained.

Last edited: