Film The Big Short

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Can’t find a thread on it.

Anyone seen it? Is it digestible to an investment novice like myself?

From the clips on YT, it seems like ‘Margin Call’ but for those more knowledgeable about investing. I can’t even decipher what my quarterly reports say.

Is it worth the time investment?

It's a good movie, but they leave out one of the most important factors - government regulation.

Wall Street has to take a lot of the blame, but they're not the sole culprits, as the movie suggests.

But by all means, very good movie and not hard to get into.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yeah it's a good movie and its made for novices
Groovy. The reviews are quite good & I've followed most of the clips I’ve seen.

Moneyball was a good movie, another book the author of TBS wrote. Had some concerns about the directors.

Good. Tonight’s sorted, then.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Great movie if you like trawling through spreadsheets and 40 minute angry discussions about margin trading.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I know I’ve seen it but I can’t really remember a thing about it.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

From the clips on YT, it seems like ‘Margin Call’ but for those more knowledgeable about investing. I can’t even decipher what my quarterly reports say.

I'm curious about Margin Call actually. It appeared on our Netflix just recently. Is it any good? And is it socially conscious? Not sure I'd enjoy it if it's about stock brokers one-upping each other, or something like that.

On topic, I'd also highly recommend The Big Short. Accessibility is great, as it has lots of little explanation moments that provide the background/context you need - but don't worry, done in a fun way. So you really gain a better understanding of the big crash and the stupidity and injustices behind it while watching a good film - even if I myself found the outcome ultimately unsatisfying.

Except if I'm remembering this wrong, the people spotting what's happening manage to make money out of the meltdown. I suppose that's supposed to make me feel good, cause they make money off the moral-free profiteers' backs while swimming against the current - but it's not something I can be sympathetic too given the subject. I mean, they are still making money that should not have been taken off the people losing their houses etc.[/quote]

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I'm curious about Margin Call actually. It appeared on our Netflix just recently. Is it any good? And is it socially conscious? Not sure I'd enjoy it if it's about stock brokers one-upping each other, or something like that.

On topic, I'd also highly recommend The Big Short. Accessibility is great, as it has lots of little explanation moments that provide the background/context you need - but don't worry, done in a fun way. So you really gain a better understanding of the big crash and the stupidity and injustices behind it while watching a good film - even if I myself found the outcome ultimately unsatisfying.

Except if I'm remembering this wrong, the people spotting what's happening manage to make money out of the meltdown. I suppose that's supposed to make me feel good, cause they make money off the moral-free profiteers' backs while swimming against the current - but it's not something I can be sympathetic too given the subject. I mean, they are still making money that should not have been taken off the people losing their houses etc.
[/QUOTE]
I loved Margin Call, wonderfully dark. Quality cast.

I may watch both tonight. It’s tough stomaching Kevin Spacey, but he is at his typical high level in there.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
At worst you can lose two hours of your life. You just lost few minutes by making this thread.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
You’d have to watch the first three Star Wars that were produced.

I’ll save you the time on the rest - they sucked. Massively.
I’ve started it 3 times and haven’t got past the first 10 minutes. It’s dire.

Jev

It's very entertaining and easy to follow for an investment novice, or even a total outsider. The latter won't get everything but more than enough to keep up. It's more accessible than Moneyball.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Star Wars movies are terrible.
I’ve heard that if you like spreadsheets, Star Wars is not the franchise for you. Not even a small table.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Its pretty good.

Moby

Dick
Love watching it. Have watched loads of times. It's pretty much a lightest take on the housing crisis with a bunch of characters taking the piss the whole time. Gosling and Carell are hilarious in particular.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
There's a great scene with Margot Robbie in a bathtub. That might be too much for you.

Revan

Assumptionman
Both movie and the book are quite good. You will miss some things in the movie that you can fully appreciate only by reading the book (and of course, the book has more stories).

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It's a great watch. Honestly, all these finance movies in general tend to be fun watches:

- Margin Call
- The Big Short
- Boiler Room
- Wall Street
- Too Big to Fail (HBO movie)

Leg-End

Any Michael Lewis book is a great read, the movie was pretty entertaining.