Film The Big Short

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I’ve not watched them actually, might have to check them out in that case!
Both very good films. :)
I preferred Margin Call over this one, actually it's one of my favourite movies. Compared to the big short, it's much less obvious and loud about its message (but it's clear enough - still too obvious in my opinion).
Thanks! I'll really have to watch this now. :D

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I think I also prefer Margin Call. Can't really explain why though, I think the dialogue is even better there.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Kinda cray cray that Adam McKay went from directing Anchorman/Talladega Nights/Step Brothers to this and Vice.

His next flick with Leo and Jennifer Lawrence looks interesting.

Moby

Dick
Watch it again, I watch either this or Moneyball whenever I’m scrolling Netflix for a film and can’t decide.
Same except it's The Big Short or Trial of the Chicago 7 for me.

"IF BLOOD IS GONNA FLOW LET IT FLOW ALL OVER THE CITY!". Can watch that forever.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Watched it yesterday based on posts over here. Liked it, captured the 'Armageddon' moment quite nicely.
Indeed. I especially liked that scene where Jeremy Irons called all the executives together for a meeting. Great dialogue.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Same except it's The Big Short or Trial of the Chicago 7 for me.

"IF BLOOD IS GONNA FLOW LET IT FLOW ALL OVER THE CITY!". Can watch that forever.
I’m looking forward to that, it’s on my Netflix list to watch soon but keep forgettinf

Skills

Snitch
Spotlight is brilliant. Highly infuriating, though.
It is brilliant, but for that reason it's one of those movies that's just a one time watch for me. A bit like Schindler's List, the pianist and Nightcrawler - movies I love but I can't bring myself to watch again.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I finally got round to watching Margin Call last night. I agree with everyone that it's a great film. I'm not sure if I would say that it's better than The Big Short. They are just so different - if you feel like watching the one tonight you won't enjoy seeing the other and vice versa; they represent completely different genres and serve largely different purposes.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Big Short is better for your average cinema viewer who may have less grasp on the financial markets as it explains a lot whereas Margin Call expects more from you. I enjoyed both but Margin Call had a longer lasting effect on me because the dilemma presented to the characters (and especially Spacey's character) opens up a juicy debate for people. Big Short has clear protagonists/antagonists so there's less to dissect beyond what we all already know about the crash. Both are really good though. I think I prefer margin Call just a little bit more.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Big short is a great movie and a great way to get across a message. Just please don't be that guy who thinks stuff like the bank loan payment guys scene actually happened/happens in real life. Some of it is obvious drama for the sake of getting a point across.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Big Short is better for your average cinema viewer who may have less grasp on the financial markets as it explains a lot whereas Margin Call expects more from you. I enjoyed both but Margin Call had a longer lasting effect on me because the dilemma presented to the characters (and especially Spacey's character) opens up a juicy debate for people. Big Short has clear protagonists/antagonists so there's less to dissect beyond what we all already know about the crash. Both are really good though. I think I prefer margin Call just a little bit more.
I'll have to watch Margin Call then... really liked The Big Short and hopefully multiple years in Commercial banking risk will help me follow it?

IMDB suggests "Inside Job" as a film to watch, similar theme and Roger Ebert gives it a higher rating than both.... always listen to Roger.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I'll have to watch Margin Call then... really liked The Big Short and hopefully multiple years in Commercial banking risk will help me follow it?

IMDB suggests "Inside Job" as a film to watch, similar theme and Roger Ebert gives it a higher rating than both.... always listen to Roger.
Mate, my only financial knowledge is that money buys things and yet I quickly understood what's happening so you'll be fine!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Mate, my only financial knowledge is that money buys things and yet I quickly understood what's happening so you'll be fine!
Yeah, knowledge isn't really required for Margin Call. If you properly understand what's happening, you can better get why the problem at the firm occurs and how it relates to the 2008 financial crisis in general. But if you don't, then you just accept 'MBS' as some investment they have and that's causing trouble, and that's all you need to keep following the narrative and drama.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Yep all three are great, albeit Inside Job is a documentary. Margin call’s my favourite of the three. It really lures you into the chaos and twisted morality of the moment.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Yeah, knowledge isn't really required for Margin Call. If you properly understand what's happening, you can better get why the problem at the firm occurs and how it relates to the 2008 financial crisis in general. But if you don't, then you just accept 'MBS' as some investment they have and that's causing trouble, and that's all you need to keep following the narrative and drama.
Nowhere near the trading and syndication teams but I was working in credit sanctioning at the time.

I still remember the big boss calling us and telling us to cherry pick deals (no alarms yet) then a few days later saying "no new money" (alarms) then a couple of days later the world fell apart.

I then spent the next four months surfing the internet, making up quizzes for our team, having two lunch hours and playing the theme album game (and the occasional sanction) ..... before they found me a new role and I had to start work again.

Ahhh, good times.