The board versus the fans 2018/2019

SER19

I, for one , am actually Ok with not spending when there is no value in the market. I mean come on, $75 million for Magurie and in a year or two if he fails, we would have a hell of a problem cutting him out of the squad as we have seen with the deadwood in our squad currently.

I don't see much personnel who have moved on this window, who would have made much of a difference to our squad. I am sure the board would be willing to spend if say for example, Bale or Mbappe was available. There is no point in overpaying for mediocre players.
Not a thread solely about spending. Pretty clear in op.

spiriticon

What did you read? In the op. What did you actually read that made you think I feel spending more money would be enough to say the board is doing a good job,

This is the exact superficial half arsed laziness among fans I’m talking about. If you’re not even prepared to read a short post, then we should just sit back and watch us get milked by America
The first line about being Arsenal 2.0 is enough to put me off. Then eventually moaning about spending less then Wolves and Fulham at the end of the post. Original.

What exactly do you want the Glazers to do? They have supported every manager that has stepped in with funding. The only clear mistake is hiring 3 dud managers in a row. But who else is good enough to replace Fergie? Nobody. Its the best of a shit situation.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
What language do I need to put it in to say that being backed financially isn’t the sole determination of a boards competence?

Help me help you
Never mind fella, you crack on!

SER19

The first line about being Arsenal 2.0 is enough to put me off. Then eventually moaning about spending less then Wolves and Fulham at the end of the post. Original.

What exactly do you want the Glazers to do? They have supported every manager that has stepped in with funding. The only clear mistake is hiring 3 dud managers in a row. But who else is good enough to replace Fergie? Nobody. Its the best of a shit situation.
While we disagree in many points, you’re assertion that hiring three ‘dud’ managers in a row, then backing the duds with large sums for bad players, isn’t enough to question their ownership?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
They hired Moyes who had done a good job in the Prem. He did a bad job and was fired.

They then hired LVG. I didn’t want him but he did ok and won us a trophy. Fired.

Loads of fans wanted Mourinho. He probably shouldn’t have been hired but meh, he’s done ok.

SER19

They hired Moyes who had done a good job in the Prem. He did a bad job and was fired.

They then hired LVG. I didn’t want him but he did ok and won us a trophy. Fired.

Loads of fans wanted Mourinho. He probably shouldn’t have been hired but meh, he’s done ok.
Happy with how the club has been run sinc David gill left? The entire club, not just spending?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I think there are reasonable complaints to have against the board, but this is over the top.

We would definitely benefit from the presence of some football minded people influencing the decisions surrounding the running of United. At the moment, it does feel somewhat like supporting a well performing brand rather than football club.

But the board have spent a load of cash since Moyes was sacked, it just - on the whole - hasn't been spent particularly wisely. Jose has sacked off pretty much every LVG investment, and is even chipping away at a few of his own. We've lacked long term planning and are kind of paying the price for it now. Worth remembering that in spite of this we have won a number of trophies and finished second last season. But we are United, it's far from unreasonable - given our recent history and wealth - to be expecting more.

Painful as it is, in contrast Liverpool attracted a manager who had a clear vision for the club and their board committed to it. They have efficiently built a very impressive unit over the last 3 years. This season, expectations will be ramped up for them, and it's not certain how they'll respond. But, as of now, there's a fair bit for us to be envious of about Liverpool. Our team, despite more success in the same period, doesn't seem to have the same cohesion as of yet, and there does appear to be a few too many opinions surrounding key decisions.

As fans, we have to go into the season supporting the team and the manager. Despite the transfer window, we boast a lot of talent and depth. Certain areas are clearly lacking, but we should have enough to expect a good season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

He really didn’t do ok. His second season was worse than his first, which is a sackable offence all on its own.

Not to mention his atrocious record in the transfer market or the soul-sucking dross we produced on the pitch.

Infestissumam

We’re being outperformed, domestically and in Europe, by clubs who’ve spent a fraction of what we have in the last five seasons. Our outlay isn’t the problem (and frankly, never has been) - it’s moulding those we do buy into a solid, consistent outfit. How many of van Gaal’s signings are still at the club? Two of Mourinho’s have left already. Throwing money at new players like throwing shit at a wall isn’t going to solve our problems nor bridge the gap between us and the very elite.
couldn't have said it better.

SER19

I think there are reasonable complaints to have against the board, but this is over the top.

We would definitely benefit from the presence of some football minded people influencing the decisions surrounding the running of United. At the moment, it does feel somewhat like supporting a well performing brand rather than football club.

But the board have spent a load of cash since Moyes was sacked, it just - on the whole - hasn't been spent particularly wisely. Jose has sacked off pretty much every LVG investment, and is even chipping away at a few of his own. We've lacked long term planning and are kind of paying the price for it now. Worth remembering that in spite of this we have won a number of trophies and finished second last season. But we are United, it's far from unreasonable - given our recent history and wealth - to be expecting more.

Painful as it is, in contrast Liverpool attracted a manager who had a clear vision for the club and their board committed to it. They have efficiently built a very impressive unit over the last 3 years. This season, expectations will be ramped up for them, and it's not certain how they'll respond. But, as of now, there's a fair bit for us to be envious of about Liverpool. Our team, despite more success in the same period, doesn't seem to have the same cohesion as of yet, and there does appear to be a few too many opinions surrounding key decisions.

As fans, we have to go into the season supporting the team and the manager. Despite the transfer window, we boast a lot of talent and depth. Certain areas are clearly lacking, but we should have enough to expect a good season.

I’ll back the team and manager 100 percent.

SER19

How are you so sure the board only wants Top 4?
I’m not sure. It’s just a feeling based on a lot of circumstantial evidence, I imagine they’d be delighted with the profits that go with more success but getting to the champions league each year will keep the money train on the tracks.

walkinhop

I can't blame the board for not spending but i can blame them for the horrible transition period and the scatter gun managerial appointments. You can't change your whole squad for each new coach. Possession team, counter-attacking, then what...

acnumber9

I live abroad at the moment. Of course that precludes me, an ex long term season ticket holder, and future one, with several United season ticket holding family members from having a fecking say on the state of our board. Or is your game just to go round making personal assumptions about people online. It sounds unhealthy
You’re very angry and aggressive. You should worry about your own health.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
While we disagree in many points, you’re assertion that hiring three ‘dud’ managers in a row, then backing the duds with large sums for bad players, isn’t enough to question their ownership?
I think that’s a fair point. Hiring one crap manager is foolish, two is careless but getting it wrong three times in a row means heads should roll. Not sure who carries the can though. Woodward?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
He really didn’t do ok. His second season was worse than his first, which is a sackable offence all on its own.

Not to mention his atrocious record in the transfer market or the soul-sucking dross we produced on the pitch.
Hey mate, preaching to the choir. I agree with all of that.

Edit: just seen you meant LVG. Probably would agree with your assessment anyway.

Revan

Assumptionman
When is this narrative going to end? The Glazers have spent nothing. Literally none of their own money has gone into the club. They took over a billion pounds out and are now refusing to let the club spend its own money on players. I wonder if the Glazers will refuse their dividends this year if there's no money for transfers? And the money hasn't been wasted. Mou's signings have generally been pretty good. You know what has been wasted, OVER a BILLION POUNDS on the club's takeover by these rats.
1) It hasn't been even near a billion pounds which has gone out of the club.

2) Man United is their own private property. Every pounds they invest on the club is their own pound (or at least, 80% of it). There isn't their money and the club's money when they own the club.

3) Capitalising random words on your post doesn't make the meaning of the sentence more true. It just makes you look like Donald Trump.

4) Since Fergie left, we have spent more than any club bar City in transfers (and the difference with them is small), and I believe we have (or have had last season), the biggest wage bill for any club in the world.

acnumber9

Yep thanks again for a third consecutive personal critique, you should charge.
Can only comment on what I see and it was one personal comment about your aggression. Two of we want to count attention seeking. Maybe if you didn’t fly off the handle so easily you’d get less comments on how angry you are.

KW2006

It's more like The Board + The Fans vs Mourinho.

The board and most fans(according to polls on the Caf) share a common goal.

bleedred

I’m not sure. It’s just a feeling based on a lot of circumstantial evidence, I imagine they’d be delighted with the profits that go with more success but getting to the champions league each year will keep the money train on the tracks.
Feeling, Imagination and 3 years aint a lot of evidence to go with, TBF!

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Happy with how the club has been run sinc David gill left? The entire club, not just spending?
Yeah.

I was fully on board with the green and gold campaign. Hate the Glazers and what they did to our club, for a while we were in massive jeopardy. It was only Fergie that got us out of that minefield.

Since then they have spent a feckload. Hired managers who have done poorly but I thought made sense. The only thing I’m massively disappointed with was the hiring of Mourinho. Thought it went against the club ethos and philosophy but so many people wanted him, so cest la vie.

SER19

I think that’s a fair point. Hiring one crap manager is foolish, two is careless but getting it wrong three times in a row means heads should roll. Not sure who carries the can though. Woodward?
I think that surely there’s a recognition on the board that they need somebody with some sort of concept of the footballing side of the business to have influence. People talk about directors of football, and so on. I don’t have a deep enough grasp of the inticracies of running a club but from the outside it’s looked for five years that we haven’t a single clue of what direction we’re going in.

SER19

Yeah.

I was fully on board with the green and gold campaign. Hate the Glazers and what they did to our club, for a while we were in massive jeopardy. It was only Fergie that got us out of that minefield.

Since then they have spent a feckload. Hired managers who have done poorly but I thought made sense. The only thing I’m massively disappointed with was the hiring of Mourinho. Thought it went against the club ethos and philosophy but so many people wanted him, so cest la vie.
Fair enough, I’m not here to argue with your opinion. I will argue against posters who completely skew or simplify my original post because it triggers them somehow

reddaz71

This window has been the closest you will ever get to witness a 2 fingered salute from the owners directed to the fans,almost an insult given the timing of the sponsorship deals this summer instead of focusing on team strengthening,Disgraceful!!

spiriticon

Its a pretty shite record. But I don't think there's a manager out there who could match Fergie. It was always gonna suck for about a decade after Fergie went.

Perspective needed. Under them, we have generated more revenue than ever, also spent more on transfers than ever, never interferes with team decisions, reformed thr women's team, revamped the scouting and youth structure.

What more do you want?

I think local fans should organize protest marches against the owners before the games. Perhaps skipping the first five minutes of matches at Old Trafford and then walking in with green and gold shirts/flags.
What are you wanting people to actually protest against? Not buying players you want? Not spending enough money, when they have?

Yeah.

I agree completely, a rational well measured post.

SER19

Feeling, Imagination and 3 years aint a lot of evidence to go with, TBF!
Okay well after that semantic dismantling let’s all agree fans shouldn’t have an opinion when the club hasn’t won or come close to winning a title in half a decade and look further away from Europe’s elite since the early 90s. The evidence is there to see

The Firestarter

Can you call Jose fecking Mourinho a dud though ? I am far from being his biggest fan at all but the guy has a top notch CV, and is usually considered an "instant success" manager. For whatever reason it did not work out and maybe the game has passed him by, but I am not sure how the board would be able to forsee that development.