The board's change of strategy over signings

Gasolin

Replace greenwood with macheda, januzaj, wilson, chadwick, same stuff every 5 years.
I think Greenwood has something extra compared to Macheda or Januzaj... maybe it's me being naive, but his close control, and his penetration are very interesting. It gives me confidence that once he starts scoring, he will get the right feel about the power and accuracy and it will happen. To be honest, we need some unexpected lights and surely, Ole and Phelan are taking a gamble on the kid but they want to see them get in.

SaintMuppet

Fernandes who?

He seems to be a name desperate fans picked up and ran with. Last season nobody heard of him and this season most only seen a YouTube video of him.

Many more players more suited to playing here than him. A good player from a weak league (relatively) is not my first choice to come here and hit the ground running like we need atm.

Perhaps somebody knows why this guy is so fabulous and fans are crying we missed out on him???

Foxbatt

This team now probably needs two or even one world class midfield player to jump a few positions in the League. Two if you replace Matic and another world class player like even Fernandez or Erickson would bring a huge difference to this team. Actually if we get two class midfield players the chances we create would be a lot more and hence the strikers would score more too. It does not have to be someone who has a ridiculously high price tag. Most midfield players in any of the top 2nd tier clubs have better midfield players than we have bar Pogba.

Luke1995

I don't think the strategy was changed at all. The club simply could not afford Dybala's salary request as it was probably as much or higher than what it has been paying Sanchez.

Don't think the club even has a scouting system.

Funky Futurista

It seems we are trying to implement a new system at least, where we sign ready or almost ready talents for our first team and that actually come here for something else than money. We still do need a DoF though, and lay the groundwork for the next few years. I think Ole will do well with our youngsters, he did that at Molde and although it's not the same it still shows he likes to put faith in younger players.

I don't think the strategy was changed at all. The club simply could not afford Dybala's salary request as it was probably as much or higher than what it has been paying Sanchez.

Don't think the club even has a scouting system.
Spurs pulled out of the deal for Dybala as well, and it was not because of wages but because of his image rights we pulled out. I do agree with you that Sanchez's wages has ruin our budget for signing higher paid superstars. Then again, our recent strategy of signing higher paid superstars hasn't really worked that well, has it?

vidic blood & sand

Fernandes who?

He seems to be a name desperate fans picked up and ran with. Last season nobody heard of him and this season most only seen a YouTube video of him.

Many more players more suited to playing here than him. A good player from a weak league (relatively) is not my first choice to come here and hit the ground running like we need atm.

Perhaps somebody knows why this guy is so fabulous and fans are crying we missed out on him???
31 goals last season from midfield. That's not bad, even in the Portuguese league.

Luke1995

It seems we are trying to implement a new system at least, where we sign ready or almost ready talents for our first team and that actually come here for something else than money. We still do need a DoF though, and lay the groundwork for the next few years. I think Ole will do well with our youngsters, he did that at Molde and although it's not the same it still shows he likes to put faith in younger players.

Spurs pulled out of the deal for Dybala as well, and it was not because of wages but because of his image rights we pulled out. I do agree with you that Sanchez's wages has ruin our budget for signing higher paid superstars. Then again, our recent strategy of signing higher paid superstars hasn't really worked that well, has it?

I'd argue it's the manager's fault that it hasn't worked out. Van Gaal and Mourinho didn't have a clue as to how to get the best out of these superstars. For example, Van Gaal created tension with Di Maria and Mourinho with Schweinsteiger, Rooney and Pogba... man-management goes a long way.

Funky Futurista

I'd argue it's the manager's fault that it hasn't worked out. Van Gaal and Mourinho didn't have a clue as to how to get the best out of these superstars. For example, Van Gaal created tension with Di Maria and Mourinho with Schweinsteiger, Rooney and Pogba... man-management goes a long way.
Don't disagree with that, but if we had a DoF in place we wouldn't have sanctioned a lot of those signings. We probably wouldn't have hired any of those managers also though. And if we are to hire a new manager because Ole isn't good enough it should be hired by someone who can see what fits the team.

Luke1995

Don't disagree with that, but if we had a DoF in place we wouldn't have sanctioned a lot of those signings. We probably wouldn't have hired any of those managers also though. And if we are to hire a new manager because Ole isn't good enough it should be hired by someone who can see what fits the team.
Apparently the board doesn't even know how to scout a DoF. There was one guy doing an incredible job at Leipzig, Paul Mitchell, and the rumours around here are about Ferdinand or Fletcher!

Funky Futurista

Apparently the board doesn't even know how to scout a DoF. There was one guy doing an incredible job at Leipzig, Paul Mitchell, and the rumours around here are about Ferdinand or Fletcher!
Very true, but I would rather have one of them than Woodward.