Television The Book of Boba Fett

dinostar77

Enjoyed the first 2 episodes but thought the 3rd was really weak.
Agreed. I like the backstory, i just think two back to back series about mandolrians is too much.

Also tatoonie is a crap place for any storyline. Move the show to a star wars city (obviously costs alot more to produce then) and the whole vibe of the show changes for the better.

Lastly, this isnt the bobb fett of the movies, the badass bounty hunter, seems more like a former bounty hunter going through a midlife crisis and instead of buying a Porsche he got jabba the hutts lair instead.

mitChley

Agreed. I like the backstory, i just think two back to back series about mandolrians is too much.

Also tatoonie is a crap place for any storyline. Move the show to a star wars city (obviously costs alot more to produce then) and the whole vibe of the show changes for the better.

Lastly, this isnt the bobb fett of the movies, the badass bounty hunter, seems more like a former bounty hunter going through a midlife crisis and instead of buying a Porsche he got jabba the hutts lair instead.
Yeah, he is very softly softly, very likeable. Very not what I see Boba Fett as.

choccy77

The painting that got destroyed in the chase, was one of Ralph McQuarrie's concept art pictures for Return of the Jedi and the original actually had Luke Skywalker in it, but they removed him for this episode.

Interestingly, Boba Fett is standing next to Jabba in the painting.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Hmm. Considering this is meant to be about the criminal underworld, if feels less violent than Mandolorian.

decorativeed

This episode was a bit shit. The Hackney kids from down the council estate were an awful addition.

I'm considering making this more entertaining by overdubbing lines by Murray from Flight of the Conchords over Fett while he has his helmet on. He's only marginally less threatening though.

NotworkSte

This episode was a bit shit. The Hackney kids from down the council estate were an awful addition.

I'm considering making this more entertaining by overdubbing lines by Murray from Flight of the Conchords over Fett while he has his helmet on. He's only marginally less threatening though.
That would be so amazing.

Fett (with attendance register): okay band meeting. Fennec?
Shand: Present
Fett: Boba present. Now, one of my CDs is missing

mu4c_20le

Hmm. Considering this is meant to be about the criminal underworld, if feels less violent than Mandolorian.
Yeah I'm not a fan of how they just turned him into another generic tough antihero #3986. I've always liked the tuskens though, so I'll keep watching.

Oldyella

That was awful. After a good second episode this was a real misstep.

The biker gang were awful, and got involved in the one of slowest chase scenes put to screen.

They had something really interesting with the tuskens and just killed them off off screen.

NotworkSte

Ha. Bring the band from ROTJ back to play 'Who Likes to Rock the Party?'
I saw them live a few year back. They were brilliant.

I’m not taken by the show though. Did anyone else stream have the cgi mod vespa kids all jerky in the chase scene?

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I saw them live a few year back. They were brilliant.

I’m not taken by the show though. Did anyone else stream have the cgi mod vespa kids all jerky in the chase scene?
The band from the cantina?

Yes, at one specific moment. What TV were you watching on? We are on a 4K.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Disney is really making this series very Disney and less Star Wars.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
This episode had another of these very RPG-quest-like things going.

"Those lads did me wrong."
*Goes to the street urchins*
"Oi, give back what you stole!"
"We have no jobs and the prices are too high."

At this point you get to choose between good and evil in classic KotOR or Mass Effect style.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I found the Mandalorian very like that as well. Gotta do a thing to get the thing to get the zzzzzz

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I enjoyed episode 3,a step down from episode 2 but still good, simple, fun stuff.

I did think the acting of the street gang he recruited wasn't the best, but he did need some form of entourage... Think my biggest criticism was the design of their bikes. Felt too colourful and polished for some street kids with no money... Think something that look like it had been put together from spare droid parts would have made more sense.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think the concept/story foundation is ok-ish but overall, whether this is a budget issue or maybe even Covid related, the execution is somewhat left floundering more often than not.

The direction, cinematography and the performances are all very bland at the moment.
The cinematography and how the fight scenes are captured is a big concern at the present, for me. It's all very flat and uninspiring. There needs to be more creativity regarding how scenes are captured. More techniques with the camera angles alone would give this show more originality and some vibrancy.

There was a particular act in the first episode that involved a parkour-esq action scene on the rooftops of various Tatooine buildings that left me frustrated and perplexed with the poor execution of the scene . The choreography and the performances from the actors and stuntmen were fine yet how the various moments were captured less so and unfortunately the insipid takes have continued.

I think, in general, one of the issues with this at the present for me is the fact its Bobba Fett. The Mandalorian is fresh because its new. Its not tied too strongly narratively or creatively to the past like Bobba Fett is. So Mando has more creative scope to play with. The SW universe feels big again with that show but with Fett, and this was illustrated in the first episode, you instantly have to go back and write out a section regarding how he escaped from the Sarlacc pit, which is fine and understandable but I think long-term the writers may find this a harder show to write than the more creatively open universe of the Mandalorian, especially as Bobba Fett currently seems to be based in a less open environment compared to its more adventurous counterpart.
If they continue to base this show primarily in Tattoine alone that will eventually bore audiences.

Last edited:

choccy77

The backlash on the street gangs bikes has become pretty big.

It's deffiently a stupid design.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
It’s enjoyable enough. My main issue is trying to believe that this fat, old bald guy is the most infamous bounty hunter in the galaxy. He also just seems too nice so far.

This version of BF would probably have joined the rebellion. I can’t imagine him working jobs for Darth Vader and Jabba.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It’s enjoyable enough. My main issue is trying to believe that this fat, old bald guy is the most infamous bounty hunter in the galaxy. He also just seems too nice so far.

This version of BF would probably have joined the rebellion. I can’t imagine him working jobs for Darth Vader and Jabba.
I guess that’s the issue when you turn a side villain into a main protagonist. He can’t be a bastard, especially not on Disney plus.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Yep, this Bobba seems to bear little resemblance to the character we first saw (after the xmas special cartoon) in Empire and ROTJ.

But, saying that, the Tusken Raiders segment was maybe a closure for that Bobba Fett. This is the redeemed Bobba.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
3 episodes in, I still dont' see the point of this show. What's next, an origin series on Jar Jar Binks?

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
My main issue is trying to believe that this fat, old bald guy is the most infamous bounty hunter in the galaxy.
This is the biggest problem with the show.

I have nothing against the guy, but Temuera Morrison should not be cast as Boba Fett. He wasn't really any good as Jango Fett in the prequels, and he's twenty years older now. Temuera Morrison is not why people like Boba Fett, at all. Bringing him back wildly, terribly misses the point.

The problem is the person in charge of all this shit is Dave Filoni, and he actually likes the prequels.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
The 3rd episode was pretty poor.

I did like the new rancor introduction and spending more time in the present.

However, that 'speeder' bike chase was done so poorly. The bikes didn't look like they should be on Tatooine and they seemed to go about 20mph.

choccy77

TM has said in an interview that Boba Fett talks to much and he kept trying to pass lines to Fennec instead, but the directors were not having it.

choccy77

This is the biggest problem with the show.

I have nothing against the guy, but Temuera Morrison should not be cast as Boba Fett. He wasn't really any good as Jango Fett in the prequels, and he's twenty years older now. Temuera Morrison is not why people like Boba Fett, at all. Bringing him back wildly, terribly misses the point.

The problem is the person in charge of all this shit is Dave Filoni, and he actually likes the prequels.
But you are missing the point.

TM is every clone and he is Jango and he is Boba.

He is the right age given the story narrative and the recent trauma and living in the dessert for a year or so, to look more aged.

My only small gripe would be, that with limited food and water living with sandpeople as a slave at first, he would have been a little thinner.

Also, the part he came out of the Sarlac with his suit on, it should have been a slimmer actor, so it matched TOTJ

Seems weird to say he is no good, when from a Star Wars perspective, he is Boba through the last 45/47 odd years.

There is even talks of him playing clones at some point.

I'm guessing in the Ashoka series.

Last edited:

Amarsdd

surprised people here are rating it. I thought its been boring and rather shit till now. Only interesting thing being the Boba Fett memberberries.

Last edited:

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
surprised people here are rating it. I thought its been boring and rather shit till now. Only interesting thing being the Boba Fett memberberries.
Yeah I rewatched the episodes and still largely meh about it. The memberberries are definitely keeping me watching

choccy77

Ming Na Wen has said once you see the Finale (9th Feb) you will see the series in a different light, especially on a re-watch.

Patchbeard

Thought episode 1 was promising, episode 2 was fantastic, couldn't wait for episode 3, and then it was god awful. The tuskens wiped out off screen was annoying, and like everyone has said the bikers bikes were ridiculous.