Books The BOOK thread

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I agree with the bold. I feel a number of books I read are like that. For the characters I found them realistic and reminiscent of quite a few people I've known. She was a college friend of Bret Easton Ellis (Less than Zero, American Psycho) so I get the impression they were both part of this circle of 1980s liberal arts undergrads that liked to do lots of drugs and party because both their writing has their northeast suburban rich kid feel to it

The character I was really disappointed with was the professor Julian. He was built up in the opening as a special type of character that IMO just fizzles and was extremely useless and underwhelming. What I didn't like about him was Tartt kept telling us he was this charismatic brilliant professor but she never really shows him being brilliant and charismatic just tells us how he taught some obscure princess.

I sort of liked Julian in that regard - he's similar to the other characters in that regard insofar as they're ultimately all frauds to a certain extent, people whose approval Richard was desperate for to the point where he created idealised versions of them that never really existed. Felt like there were a lot of hints at Julian ultimately being a bit of a fraud throughout the novel as well - the college itself is a bit of a joke, and nowhere else would a professor be given quite so much autonomy over a group of students without any questions.

Anyway, really loved the novel as a whole. In the hands of a worse writer the progression of the central conflict could've seemed somewhat ridiculous but I felt like it worked perfectly. And the ambiguity of the narrator and the way he's often on the fringes of the main plot made for some really interesting storytelling. Superbly written too.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

I sort of liked Julian in that regard - he's similar to the other characters in that regard insofar as they're ultimately all frauds to a certain extent, people whose approval Richard was desperate for to the point where he created idealised versions of them that never really existed. Felt like there were a lot of hints at Julian ultimately being a bit of a fraud throughout the novel as well - the college itself is a bit of a joke, and nowhere else would a professor be given quite so much autonomy over a group of students without any questions.

Anyway, really loved the novel as a whole. In the hands of a worse writer the progression of the central conflict could've seemed somewhat ridiculous but I felt like it worked perfectly. And the ambiguity of the narrator and the way he's often on the fringes of the main plot made for some really interesting storytelling. Superbly written too.
That's certainly fair. My own expectations are certainly influencing here. I wanted something more of a Judge Holden type, some manipulative professor that knew more about the magical realism event but yeah, the way it was done is certainly logical. I think I just expected the second part to be a little different given the first.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
That's certainly fair. My own expectations are certainly influencing here. I wanted something more of a Judge Holden type, some manipulative professor that knew more about the magical realism event but yeah, the way it was done is certainly logical. I think I just expected the second part to be a little different given the first.
Yeah - I get that, the expectation is that he's going to be a horrendous manipulator when in actuality he ends up being quite peripheral to the plot. But what I did like was that Henry seemed to assume whatever role I expected Julian to have, going from seemingly sensible group leader to master manipulator. Presuming you take Richard's narration at face value and don't view it as a bitter tirade considering Camilla preferred Henry to him. Which again potentially adds another layer.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
What do people think of Ian McEwan? Picked up Atonement. Early days but seems a tad dense.
The Cement Garden was one of the thinnest books in the adult/do-not-read section of my house, naturally I picked it up when I was about 12 and had a horribly unpleasant time.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Nice, I really loved the Counselor movie.

McEwan is one novelist I haven't read but I keep meaning to. Let me know how it goes, I know Atonement is highly rated
He's clearly a gifted writer and can evoke scenes and feelings well. The book is gathering momentum now, so will see how it goes.
Also bought his The Child in Time.

Damn, The Counsellor is a screenplay, not a novel. Not sure about reading that.

I read Amsterdam a couple of years back - interesting at times but also some weird choice I felt plot-wise. Not delved into anymore of his stuff yet though.
Did it put you off reading more?

The Cement Garden was one of the thinnest books in the adult/do-not-read section of my house, naturally I picked it up when I was about 12 and had a horribly unpleasant time.
Is it dark or just crummy?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Did it put you off reading more?
Nah not necessarily - despite its flaws I thought the central concept behind it was very strong and I really like his writing style as a whole. Do plan to get onto Atonement at some point, just got a lot on my reading list.

Jippy

Staff
Nah not necessarily - despite its flaws I thought the central concept behind it was very strong and I really like his writing style as a whole. Do plan to get onto Atonement at some point, just got a lot on my reading list.
Ah, ok. The critics sure love him.

Know what you mean about having a long to read list. Keep fighting off the urge to order more online too. I'm mixing up reading new stuff and digging out a few old classics from my youth to reread.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
He's clearly a gifted writer and can evoke scenes and feelings well. The book is gathering momentum now, so will see how it goes.
Also bought his The Child in Time.

Damn, The Counsellor is a screenplay, not a novel. Not sure about reading that.
I'm sure I'll get around to McEwan one day but I have a stack of eight on my to-read list and I just ordered two more off Amazon last night so it won't be anytime soon. I'll just take your opinions on his work for now

I can't get into screenplays at all either. I feel like novels and TV shows suit me more than plays, screenplays and movies if that makes sense

Last edited:

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
The Road was good and the curious pacing/staccato delivery works really well. Also liked that it didn't bother with what had caused the apocalypse.
Did a charity shop run and got The Counsellor by him. Will see how that goes.

What do people think of Ian McEwan? Picked up Atonement. Early days but seems a tad dense.
I've read Atonement, On Chesil Beach and Saturday. I really enjoyed Atonement. On Chesil Beach is very good but Saturday never held me like the others and I stopped there. I would likely still read more of him if a book of his fell into my lap.

Jippy

Staff
I'm sure I'll get around to McEwan one day but I have a stack of eight on my to-read list and I just ordered two more off Amazon last night so it won't be anytime soon. I'll just take your opinions on his work for now

I can't get into screenplays at all either. I feel like novels and TV shows suit me more than plays, screenplays and movies if that makes sense
Screenplays are weird- I want the author to set the scene with the skill and flow of their writing, not for me to get a one line stage direction.

I managed to resist buying more books, but similarly have around eight new ones to read. Remains to be see how the remaining totally random purchases from the charity shop work out- The Shipping News and a Le Carré novel among them.

I've read Atonement, On Chesil Beach and Saturday. I really enjoyed Atonement. On Chesil Beach is very good but Saturday never held me like the others and I stopped there. I would likely still read more of him if a book of his fell into my lap.
Sue seems like he churns them out. He changed the pace a bit when I was reading it on the tube this morning, throwing in a couple of unexpected C bombs.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
The Road was good and the curious pacing/staccato delivery works really well. Also liked that it didn't bother with what had caused the apocalypse.
Did a charity shop run and got The Counsellor by him. Will see how that goes.

I hated Atonement and ditched it early.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Screenplays are weird- I want the author to set the scene with the skill and flow of their writing, not for me to get a one line stage direction.

I managed to resist buying more books, but similarly have around eight new ones to read. Remains to be see how the remaining totally random purchases from the charity shop work out- The Shipping News and a Le Carré novel among them.

Sue seems like he churns them out. He changed the pace a bit when I was reading it on the tube this morning, throwing in a couple of unexpected C bombs.
Yeh his books do mix it a little. Atonement wouldn't normally be in the style of book that I like but it was very well written and an interesting story. Saturday didnt feel like it worked for me. Characters were off or the situation was too ridiculous.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
So I just finished Suttree. It has no central plot, no overarching mystery, no conspiracy to uncover, no larger than life antagonist like Judge Holden or Chigurh. But its quite simply some of the most amazing prose ever written in English. Nothing happens. But its fecking awesome

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Just finished In Cold Blood and I'm simply amazed. What incredible writing. The build-up in the first chapter is so tantalising and compelling. And I was hooked throughout it all. One of the greatest books I've ever read.

Nickosaur

Just finished In Cold Blood and I'm simply amazed. What incredible writing. The build-up in the first chapter is so tantalising and compelling. And I was hooked throughout it all. One of the greatest books I've ever read.
Yeah, In Cold Blood is fantastic. I think I read it within a couple of days, I just couldn't put it down. Utterly fascinating.

Sally Cinnamon

Yeah, In Cold Blood is fantastic. I think I read it within a couple of days, I just couldn't put it down. Utterly fascinating.
Even the 1967 film is superb.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I couldn'p put it down for the last 100 pages. Especially the psychological evaluations and the whole process were incredibly interesting.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I have decided that I want to start reading books, because I feel like it's a source of entertainment that I'm currently badly missing out on. Honestly haven't read any since I left school, so have hardly read any books in my life. I'm looking for a thriller. Any recommendations?

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I have decided that I want to start reading books, because I feel like it's a source of entertainment that I'm currently badly missing out on. Honestly haven't read any since I left school, so have hardly read any books in my life. I'm looking for a thriller. Any recommendations?
Day of the Dog by Don Winslow.

Big Andy

Bloke
The new Reacher book Blue Moon is good, got an advance proof copy.

Much better than the last one, which was a bit shit

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Finished Gravity's Rainbow. Truly a remarkable novel and IMO probably one of the greatest 5 novels I've read.

I feel like I need to mix in another author because I want to just delve into another round of Hall, McCarthy and Pynchon.

Nickosaur

Finished Gravity's Rainbow. Truly a remarkable novel and IMO probably one of the greatest 5 novels I've read.

I feel like I need to mix in another author because I want to just delve into another round of Hall, McCarthy and Pynchon.
GR is such a mindfeck. So brilliant though, I loved getting lost in it.

Reading Sound and the Fury right now by Faulkner. As I Lay Dying and Absalom, Absalom were pieces of piss compared to this :lol:

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
GR is such a mindfeck. So brilliant though, I loved getting lost in it.

Reading Sound and the Fury right now by Faulkner. As I Lay Dying and Absalom, Absalom were pieces of piss compared to this :lol:
Ah I have Sound on my desk, maybe I'll give that a go. I want to get The Bear from him though

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Yeah and just completely compelling from start to finish. He's a wonderful writer. What's your thinking on his portrayal of himself?
Mostly as a fairly enigmatic loner who people could never quite get to grips with: sometimes fascinating and mysterious, sometimes pathetic and a bit of a nuisance, ultimately a bit of an aimless, albeit extremely talented, drifter. You get to the end and you've got a very good sense of what he is but I don't think you're ever quite sure of who he is. Not fully anyway. How about yourself?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Its sheer scope and crazy inventiveness is absurd - love how it's extremely literary but almost incredibly wacky at the same time. Part III is like one big fun carnival, albeit with a backdrop of death and destruction.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Recommend me some quality scifi, space opera or techy scifi, doesn't matter.

For reference my favourite scifi books:

Hyperion
Old Mans War
Forever War
Gateway
Pandora's Star

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
How does one go about making a top-10 of Discworld novels? Is it even possible? Yes. Yes it is.
  1. Jingo
  2. Thief of time
  3. Catch-22 (C'mon. No list is completed without it)
  4. Wyrd Sisters
  5. Small gods
  6. Nightwatch
  7. Guards! Guards!
  8. Pyramids
  9. Mort
  10. Carpe Jugulum
  11. The Last Continent
:lol: Nah. I tried. It was an effort. Not really a worthy one, but hey. Life goes on.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Recommend me some quality scifi, space opera or techy scifi, doesn't matter.

For reference my favourite scifi books:

Hyperion
Old Mans War
Forever War
Gateway
Pandora's Star

The Quantum Thief

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Has anyone read A Visit from the Goon Squad? I just started it and I loved the first chapter

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Is anyone a fan of cosy mysteries? I am an avid reader of these books, and now I am reading Room For Murder by Tim Myers.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I just finished the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and really enjoyed it. Currently on Portrait of a Lady but just read the first 50 pages of In Cold Blood so thinking of going with this first.