Books The BOOK thread

Tarrou

Is 1Q84 worth persevering with?

I started it when it first came out and couldn't get into it. Just noticed a copy on the shelf in the apartment i'm staying in, so might give it another go.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Any recommendations. Need some inspiration, don't care what genre etc.
If you want something literary Your Face Tomorrow by Javier Marias is one of the best psychological fiction I have ever read - up there with Henry James really.

Something easy to read and fun is A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

and We Have Always Lived in the Castle for Halloween

Member 39557

If you want something literary Your Face Tomorrow by Javier Marias is one of the best psychological fiction I have ever read - up there with Henry James really.

Something easy to read and fun is A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

and We Have Always Lived in the Castle for Halloween
Thanks, will google them.

Suedesi

Life 3.0 - by Max Tegmark
A deep, bold, and visionary dive into Artificial Intelligence and its many implications. One of the most interesting books I've ever read.

The Courage to Be Disliked - by Ichiro Kishimi and Fumitake Koga
A profound little philosophy book from Japan, communicating the psychology of Alfred Adler - a rival of Freud. Told as a conversation between an angry student and a patient teacher.

Nickosaur

Just finished Anna Karenina.

I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Why the feck was I so interested in Levin managing his farm :lol:

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
I'm almost done with Autumn by Ali Smith. I bought it for my wife when I was in London in June and she absolutely hated it, so I've put off reading it. But it's delightful. Will pick up the rest of the series now.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Just finished the complete short stories of Truman Capote. Really enjoyed a few of them. Great reads.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Has anyone else read any László Krasznahorkai?

Nickosaur

Just finished The Informers by Bret Easton Ellis.

What an odd book. I don't know if it was good or really shit.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Is American Psycho worth the read? Decent movie.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Is American Psycho worth the read? Decent movie.
No, see Archie's post above ;)

If you are in the mood for something dark I'd recommend Outer Dark and Seven Days of Peter Crumb instead

celia

Is 1Q84 worth persevering with?

I started it when it first came out and couldn't get into it. Just noticed a copy on the shelf in the apartment i'm staying in, so might give it another go.
I don't really think so if you can't get into it. Except if you want to read one of the sex scene said to be one of the worst written? I thought it is an easy to read and quite pleasant book even if it is more a slow-paced book. But isn't a book I really recommend especially since there are two things I really disliked in two chapters. It really depends if you like this author or not.

mad1max954

Just finished the Cicero trilogy by Robert Harris. Very good and defo recommend. its historical fiction so might not be everyones cup of tea but id certainly recommend. Good insight into the Roman republic and the rise of Caesar.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
My resolution for next year is to read only books that have at least 1000 pages. I'm fascinated by this restrictive penchant.

United58

Anyone have any recommendations along the lines of the crime/serial killer genre? Just finished a re-read of Hannibal, it was absolutely outstanding. Love the Hannibal Lecter character, looking for more books with characters like him

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I don't think there are characters in fiction like Hannibal. The Dexter books come closest.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Anyone have any recommendations along the lines of the crime/serial killer genre? Just finished a re-read of Hannibal, it was absolutely outstanding. Love the Hannibal Lecter character, looking for more books with characters like him
The Killer Inside Me - Jim Thompson

The Talented Mr. Ripley - Patricia Highsmith (also has decent sequels)

Altmann’s Tongue - Brian Evenson

The Seven Days of Peter Crumb - Jonny Glynn

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - Patrick Suskind

United58

The Killer Inside Me - Jim Thompson

The Talented Mr. Ripley - Patricia Highsmith (also has decent sequels)

Altmann’s Tongue - Brian Evenson

The Seven Days of Peter Crumb - Jonny Glynn

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - Patrick Suskind
That's a pretty comprehensive list thanks, I'll order them into the library :) @Luffy I'll look up Dexter too

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Do you like the Jack Reacher type books?

United58

Do you like the Jack Reacher type books?
Haven't read them; I really liked the first movie and hated the second. I'm generally fairly meh about those kind of thrillers - I enjoy them, but prefer ones with a heavy psychological input (Sphere, Hannibal, Shutter Island etc.)

Nickosaur

Reading Mao II by DeLillo.

Finished A Portrait... by Joyce at the weekend. Picked it up at a 2nd hand store recently. Some superb passages but overall i couldn't get into it.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Read a book called The Unwanted Guest. Thrillers/mystery/crime genre is my favourite and this sounded good. Without doubt the worst book I've ever read, it actually got me angry as I was reading it at how utterly terrible it was. I felt so cheated out of money I even left a review on Amazon. Dreadful.

Started The Boy in Striped Pyjamas last night, enjoying it so far.

Are the Thomas Harris books any good? Thinking of picking up the Red Dragon.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Dragon and Silence are great, Hannibal is almost a parody.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just finished Anna Karenina.

I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Why the feck was I so interested in Levin managing his farm :lol:
I've been blitzing through a lot of Russian Literature recently -- Dostoevsky has cemented his place in my top 2 whilst The Master and Margarita became one of my favourite books ever -- but then came Tolstoy.

War and Peace
: I mean, I can't say it's bad, can I? It's objectively held as a near masterpiece in literature. And there are aspects that are fantastic -- Prince Andrei's transition from lamenting nihilist to man with purpose; Tolstoy’s scrupulous depiction of 19th century War etc etc. It was just good storytelling. But, there was something missing. This is War and Peace? The 'classic?' Tolstoy's pacifist pontificating got stale after the second ramble, and just wouldn't stop. And that ending was just dodgy, weren't it? When it got really dry, my mind just kept racing with "it's no Brothers Karamazov".

Is Anna Karenina much better (assuming you've read War and Peace?) I feel I owe it to Tolstoy to pick that up at some point, to allow him to redeem himself in my eyes.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Anyway, after all that dull Russian reading, I've been on Tales from 1,001 Nights, which has been a great contrast. Some of these short stories are bloody good.

United58

Read a book called The Unwanted Guest. Thrillers/mystery/crime genre is my favourite and this sounded good. Without doubt the worst book I've ever read, it actually got me angry as I was reading it at how utterly terrible it was. I felt so cheated out of money I even left a review on Amazon. Dreadful.

Started The Boy in Striped Pyjamas last night, enjoying it so far.

Are the Thomas Harris books any good? Thinking of picking up the Red Dragon.
Wasn't a big fan of Red Dragon. Silence of the Lambs was very good. I thought Hannibal was a masterpiece - it's a bit wild though, you'll probably either love it or hate it. Stunningly well written though, some of the passages were sensationally good. I can understand @SteveJ calling it a parody in the sense that's it's certainly unexpected (sorry for being so vague but don't want to be specific and spoil things).

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Wasn't a big fan of Red Dragon. Silence of the Lambs was very good. I thought Hannibal was a masterpiece - it's a bit wild though, you'll probably either love it or hate it. Stunningly well written though, some of the passages were sensationally good. I can understand @SteveJ calling it a parody in the sense that's it's certainly unexpected (sorry for being so vague but don't want to be specific and spoil things).
Thanks, I've added them to my ever-growing list!

United58

Thanks, I've added them to my ever-growing list!
No worries, enjoy :) If you enjoy Hannibal's character in Red Dragon but are disappointed in how little he features, he's much more prominent in Silence and is even more so in Hannibal. I read Silence first and was shocked reading Red Dragon that he's barely in it at all :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Is Anna Karenina much better (assuming you've read War and Peace?) I feel I owe it to Tolstoy to pick that up at some point, to allow him to redeem himself in my eyes.
Yes, but then again War and Peace is a masterpiece. Anna Karenina, well the word masterpiece doesn't do it justice