Television The Boys

VanDeBank

Ma’am
You’re saying Gen-V isn’t based on the comics? I assumed it is based on the teen-team called G-Wiz, first appearing in issue #24.

I know what you mean about some media being dragged out unnecessarily, like The Hobbit trilogy. I don’t want to see that.

Nor do I want to see a series rush to get somewhere, like the latest iteration of the X-Men rushed to get to the Dark Phoenix saga.

Usually these sort of shows don’t work, but then most shows are failures that get canceled. I guess we’ll have to hope we get lucky.

It would certainly be nice if they can build up something interlaced that comes together as nicely as Harry Potter, but that’s a lot to hope for, probably the only series ever to do it.
No that's not what I said.

For example, the Aquaman film isn't a spin off from a Batman film, it's based on the Aquaman comics. Whether that comic was originally a spin off isn't relevant. The film wouldn't be, regardless. The MCU films aren't all spin offs from each other, either.

I've never read, seen or cared for the HP series apart from the 7 books (or was it 8?) when I was a kid. I do not want them to write a bunch of other shite in the middle. Finish the series first, then do whatever you want and I'll check it out, or not.

The only plan behind an extended universe is a business plan.

Whoever adapted the boys to film obviously didn't think an extended universe was the best way to tell the story. It's about the $$$$.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Also : It’s full on adulting to love a show and be ambivalent about anything or everything else connected to it.

Being Fanatical about something in The Arts is almost always a red flag of someone’s character.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I find the lead characters in this show really irritating. MM, Homelander, and The Deep are the only ones that are well delivered in my opinion. Butcher can be great but the farcical accent and those little pursed lip smiles he does spoil it. I feel like it's a really interesting concept for a show that is sort of meandering a bit, as if they are making it up as they go. I like that it subverts the tedious as feck Marvel/superhero feckpie but I feel like it's missed something on the way.
Butcher is the character I dislike the most overall tbh. Such a pompous cnut.

redcucumber

Butcher is the character I dislike the most overall tbh. Such a pompous cnut.
Moreso than the smug, banter champ Hughie? He went from shopkeeper living at home with dad to banging Starlight and a top job at the Federal Bureau of Superhuman something or other and he's constantly bitching and moaning. Can it, you cnut.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
So I finally watched the last two episodes, and boy were they bad. The finale in particular. The writing for this season has got progressively worse as the season has gone on, culminating in this terrible finale.

This show also suffers from the same affliction that a lot of shows (or movies, I guess) of this ilk suffer from. I.e., it is a lot easier to write an antagonist than it is to write a strong, compelling protagonist. Because the fact of the matter is, the antagonists are often times the more interesting and “fun” characters to watch. So what we have here is a show that’s being carried by one character: Homelander. And the writers know this, which is why they’re going to milk it (no pun intended) dry. Evidenced by the fact that the fight at the end was contrived in such a way that he could just walk the feck out of the building despite the fact that he should have been obliterated. Because it’s only season 3 guys, we got another 3 seasons in us yet. So they've basically become that which they purport to satirize.

Butcher, Hughie, MM, and Frenchie are just not compelling enough to root for. They try to flesh them out by giving them their own side stories, but they do a very poor job of it. I feel like their motivation are also muddled, or if not muddled, then certainly not strong enough for me, as an audience member, to empathize with.

So you’re (or at least I am) in this weird spot where you’ve been trained as an audience member to root for the protagonists (or I suppose anti-heroes would be more apt) to kill the bad guy. But the bad guy is the best character in the entire show by a mile.

Also, what the hell is up with the powers here? Maeve is now on a similar level to Homelander despite the show telling us the complete opposite for three seasons. Butcher, after injecting some V, can now take on Soldier Boy who’s supposedly stronger than Homelander? All over the place.

But they fall victim to the biggest trope of all - plot armor. Which has been just off the charts.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
The finale went from being meh to okay on re watch. There were 2 real gems in the chyrons :lol:

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I'm scared to ask. But what type of video did Jaden do
He didn't he's just known for saying absolute shite disguised as 'deep thinking' like the following:

If Newborn Babies Could Speak They Would Be The Most Intelligent Beings On Planet Earth.

If A Book Store Never Runs Out Of A Certain Book, Dose That Mean That Nobody Reads It, Or Everybody Reads It

"It's Your Birthday" Mateo Said. I Didn't Respond. "Are You Not Excited To Be 15" He Asked. Reading My Book I Uttered "I Turned 15 Long Ago

How Can Mirrors Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Just watched this through finally. Enjoyable. Homelander a great character. The accents are incredibly off-putting which is a shame as Urban is great in nearly everything. Agree with those saying there is a lot of dud characters. Basically all of 'the boys' should be killed-off. They've had their stories. Starlight is annoying. Have a reset with Homelander in a position of power and maybe have another big bad guy that perhaps shapes homelander's psyche a bit.

I am aware it is based on a graphic novel, but not sure how faithful they have been up until now anyway.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I am aware it is based on a graphic novel, but not sure how faithful they have been up until now anyway.
Based on a comic book, not a graphic novel. The series is far tamer and pretty much from the get go was unfaithful.

Watched this for the first time last weekend. Loved it, it’s brilliant. Homelander is a legendary character in TV for me already.

Spark

Urgh thought there was a new season on the horizon. Anyone know how long we have to wait? (Assume six months?)