Television The Boys

parkthebuslads

A little puzzled by the extent of the praise out there for this but I did think Antony Starr was very good as Homelander.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Karl Urban’s horrendous cockney accent is doing my nut right in guv’nor, awight? It is impossible for Americans to write an English character and not have them say “wanker” in almost their first appearance. They are weirdly obsessed with us saying that word.

Oh, and the show is pretty good so far.
I thought its was Dominic Cooper at first glance.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Watched the first 3. This is pretty damn good although I find some of the more talky moments quite painful.

I actually didn't realise Karl Urban was going for cockney. Just thought it was his standard Aussie mish mash. Awful.

The Homelander dude has a delightfully punchable face and the gore when it comes is quite shocking.

evil_geko

Who liked Antony Starr in this, watch Banshee, brilliant TV that.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Just finished the series. Really enjoyed it.

Thought the ending was fine.
Not happy with the ending as it makes Butcher and his character motivations going forward pointless.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Not happy with the ending as it makes Butcher and his character motivations going forward pointless.
Why can't the series just end there though?

No need for another series and then the ending is even better.

I'm guessing the comic series finds a way to continue though

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
A little puzzled by the extent of the praise out there for this but I did think Antony Starr was very good as Homelander.
Pretty much my view on it, I enjoyed the concept and though the execution was pretty patchy, that guy was excellent in the role. But Homelander himself is a weird character, evil with basically unlimited power and his secret plan is to just create bigger bad guys rather than take things over?

The main two characters (Hughie and Annie) were truly awful.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Generally enjoyed but thought it petered out a bit at the end. Obviously set up for the second season and I wasn't surprised at all to learn that
Butchers wife was still alive.

Amazon have done well with this & Patriot. Definitely worth keeping my Prime for now.

Anyone read the graphic novels? Worth checking out?

stepic

watched the first episode and thought it was a bit of an 'anti-superhero' sledgehammer, the guy dropping his pants when the new recruit first arrives case in point. does it get any more nuanced or is this the general pitch?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Smashed this over the weekend. Started late Friday and ended up stumbling to bed at about 7am Saturday. The problems are there for all to see; I would say most if not all of the arcs are laid out early with massive neon signposts, it tends to paint in broad strokes and Karl Urban's 'British' accent is just not good enough but I was engrossed and entertained throughout.

Antony Starr is always good value in trashy, balls-to-the-wall drama and the writers and cast did well to give heart to something that could easily have descended into nothing but a sex, gore and swear fest. I actually thought The Deep's was the most rewarding story in that they managed to flesh out in some ways rehabilitate a #metoo-style sex offender, who even in a world of hyper-violent mass-murder feels like the lowest of the low. I loved the 'gill' scene; again I thought it was a great example of something that could have been gratuitous and silly set up to do a great deal of dramatic heavy-lifting and character work.

Ubik

watched the first episode and thought it was a bit of an 'anti-superhero' sledgehammer, the guy dropping his pants when the new recruit first arrives case in point. does it get any more nuanced or is this the general pitch?
There's not much nuance. As an example, the main guy at one point takes issue with Karl Urban using "cnut" as an insult, because they can "take a pounding".

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Finished watching this last night, pretty enjoyable series. Frenchy was my favourite character, the bit where he describes the first person he ever killed. :lol:

Watched the first 3. This is pretty damn good although I find some of the more talky moments quite painful.

I actually didn't realise Karl Urban was going for cockney. Just thought it was his standard Aussie mish mash. Awful.

The Homelander dude has a delightfully punchable face and the gore when it comes is quite shocking.
I thought the character was Australian for a good few episodes, it's Russell Crowe in Robin Hood levels of bad.

Thought it was hilarious at times. Dolphin scene and the dead girlfriend were truly special and shocking.
That dolphin scene and the lobster one were shockingly funny moments.The Deep just can't seem to do anything right.

Handré1990

Finished watching this last night, pretty enjoyable series. Frenchy was my favourite character, the bit where he describes the first person he ever killed. :lol:

I thought the character was Australian for a good few episodes, it's Russell Crowe in Robin Hood levels of bad.

That dolphin scene and the lobster one were shockingly funny moments.The Deep just can't seem to do anything right.
Yeah, forgot about the lobster! Another hilarious moment.

Sanche7

Pretty good show, fizzled out a bit towards the end, felt like the show runners didn’t really know how to end the season. Antony Starr was brilliant so was Frenchie. Saw it with great expectations, don’t think it quite lived up to the hype but a good season nonetheless.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Great to that. Can only recommend it

Rake

Great series and very binge-watcheable too. Can't wait for the second season.

Why can't the series just end there though?

No need for another series and then the ending is even better.

I'm guessing the comic series finds a way to continue though
Haven't read the series but there are 72 issues, so there should be enough material for a second season. Can someone who actually read the comic confirm?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Enjoyed it but my only two criticisms:

Karl Urban's British "accent".

The Superheroes being too obviously bad.. thought they'd focus more on the collateral damage angle as opposed to most of the superheroes being straight up wankers.

Needed more of Black Noir.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper

The Superheroes being too obviously bad.. thought they'd focus more on the collateral damage angle as opposed to most of the superheroes being straight up wankers.

If you've read the comics, you don't need more Black Noir yet. He will be in the future a lot if the series keeps going.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
If you've read the comics, you don't need more Black Noir yet. He will be in the future a lot if the series keeps going.
Nope. Never even heard of the comic. But that's great news. He's a brilliant piano player.

Is Deep meant to be the comedic relief throughout in the comics as well? He's like the version of Aquaman portrayed in Family Guy :lol:

stepic

yeah, it's almost too much the other way. thought it may be more shades of grey, this is just black and white reversed. which isn't particularly sophisticated.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
yeah, it's almost too much the other way. thought it may be more shades of grey, this is just black and white reversed. which isn't particularly sophisticated.
Not sure about that. Maeve, Deep, A Train all showed signs of morality. Homelander was the only true evil, psychopathic one and that's understandable given he grew up in a lab and is basically a god.

I actually didn't know Urban's accent was supposed to be British til I read it here. It's so bad :lol:

Been reading up on the comics a bit and there's a lot of stuff they changed or left out that would've helped the story, strange.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Jack from Jupiter (Think Martian Manhunter from DC, J'onn J'onzz) was replaced by Transparent. I seem to remember that he was partial to transvestite sex and a bit of a pedo. Not sure why they replaced him really.

Donk87

Supports
Arsenal
Haven't read the series but there are 72 issues, so there should be enough material for a second season. Can someone who actually read the comic confirm?
There's loads of great stuff in the comics they can draw from. It's a really fun book and if you enjoy the show I'd heartily recommend it. By chance I reread it earlier this year and a couple of slow stories aside its held up brilliantly. I don't want to mention anything specific here in case of spoilers but rest assured there's a lot that can be covered, some of which was hinted at in the show (e.g. Teenage Kix).

Jack from Jupiter (Think Martian Manhunter from DC, J'onn J'onzz) was replaced by Transparent. I seem to remember that he was partial to transvestite sex and a bit of a pedo. Not sure why they replaced him really.
Spot on regarding Jack (though I don't recall the paedo bit). I think they brought in Translucent for comedic purposes and because his superpower is pretty cheap to show on screen. Comic adaptations always seem to freshen things up a bit (Preacher) so maybe they just did it to keep it interesting for fans of the comic.

Rake

There's loads of great stuff in the comics they can draw from. It's a really fun book and if you enjoy the show I'd heartily recommend it. By chance I reread it earlier this year and a couple of slow stories aside its held up brilliantly. I don't want to mention anything specific here in case of spoilers but rest assured there's a lot that can be covered, some of which was hinted at in the show (e.g. Teenage Kix)..
Thanks for that! Knew that there should be more material to work with.

Ubik

I'd wondered what the deal with Translucent was given the rest are all Justice League based.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
I really tried to like this, the pilot was excellent and there were roughly three excellent set-piece scenes that had me in stitches but thereafter the quality seemed to diminish with each passing episode until I decided not to waste any more time and deleted the last three of the season. Shame really but I think all this hero/anti-hero genre is currently saturated.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Finished this today, really enjoyed it.

Not sure about that. The things he has learned should be motivation enough. In reality nothing changed for him, it's still the same plan for the same reasons.

You could say British understatement, or would that be British-Antipodean via Johannesburg understatement? What on earth is he doing?
It's British accent for the American market. If you're not sounding posh or like a Nazi villain then this is the accent you put up. If you do a "realer" accent then people won't understand it. No point really making it so that viewers possibly won't understand him for some authenticity. In any case it doesn't say where's he from and he's been in the US for a long time. In Frasier Daphne's accent waned as the show went on.

I would have thought that Brits would have watched too much US production by now as to not get miffed by British accents.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
That’s an incredibly long winded excuse for simply “not being able to do a decent accent” tbf

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Finished this today, really enjoyed it.

Not sure about that. The things he has learned should be motivation enough. In reality nothing changed for him, it's still the same plan for the same reasons.

It's British accent for the American market. If you're not sounding posh or like a Nazi villain then this is the accent you put up. If you do a "realer" accent then people won't understand it. No point really making it so that viewers possibly won't understand him for some authenticity. In any case it doesn't say where's he from and he's been in the US for a long time. In Frasier Daphne's accent waned as the show went on.

I would have thought that Brits would have watched too much US production by now as to not get miffed by British accents.
I get that for sure, we serve up preconceived ideas of other territories to ourselves. I'm sure Indian and Chinese guys for example would piss themselves at how we present their places and customs. It's just that Butcher's accent doesn't exist anywhere in the world. Broad cockerny geezer would have been one thing but it sounds like he's been living in both hemispheres and several timezones simultaneously.

That’s an incredibly long winded excuse for simply “not being able to do a decent accent” tbf
:lol:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Its a real testament to the high brow nature of the Fast and Furious franchise that they haven’t yet forced Jason Statham to impersonate a strangled Australian in the name of clarity.

Interestingly, the French guy is actually Israeli, so it’s impressive that he managed to pull off a somewhat convincing French accent, especially considering that Americans would’ve probably understood him a lot better if he’d just done a Spanish one instead.

Last edited:

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Loved it and can't wait for season 2, the entire cast is great. Just wish somebody would hurry up and do the judge dredd TV series with urban.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Oh now, Kiwi-Cockney is not a decent accent now?

Its a real testament to the high brow nature of the Fast and Furious franchise that they haven’t yet forced Jason Statham to impersonate a strangled Australian in the name of clarity.

Interestingly, the French guy is actually Israeli, so it’s impressive that he managed to pull off a somewhat convincing French accent, especially considering that Americans would’ve probably understood him a lot better if he’d just done a Spanish one instead.
Interesting that you bring up Frenchie as French people on reddit don't agree with you on his accent.

He's not French, his accent is the stereotypical idea of what Americans think a French person sounds like, any French word he says is painful to hear and this really kills any immersion for me, and ruins the actor's work. He's stereotypical enough that it's annoying but not enough so that it's funny like in the comic book.
eah, as soon as I heard his first French words "Messieur Charcuté" instead of "Monsieur Charcutier", I knew it was going to be bad. The character is still great, I just wish he was really French.
As a Frenchman I feel your pain, Frenchie's accent is all over the place as well. Sometimes when he speaks French it sounds great, sometimes I couldn't understand without subtitles. The actor is Israelian though, so that makes sense I suppose. <Insert random Jean Paul Sartre quote here>.

For instance when he was telling the anecdote about his father to Kimiko in the store with the japanese TV he pronounces "Marseille" very well but then "Gauloise" (the cigarette brand) completely wrong.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I get that for sure, we serve up preconceived ideas of other territories to ourselves. I'm sure Indian and Chinese guys for example would piss themselves at how we present their places and customs. It's just that Butcher's accent doesn't exist anywhere in the world. Broad cockerny geezer would have been one thing but it sounds like he's been living in both hemispheres and several timezones simultaneously.
Neither does that red haired bloke's garbage "Broadcast American" in Billions that sounds nothing like the native New Yorker his character is supposed to be but I've actually seen Brits praise that horrible accent in which he purses his lips too much to achieve and ends up looking constipated every time he speaks as a result. I can't watch that show because he does such a poor job as a New Yorker its like comedy.