Television The Boys

Sylar

Karl urban is great and plays a vast variety of characters. They all look different too

Spoony

The People's President
Is Butch the strongest character in the comic?

And I don't want Homelander get too emo and vulnerable. It won't be as satisfying if he gets smashed.

Sylar

Is Butch the strongest character in the comic?

And I don't want Homelander get too emo and vulnerable. It won't be as satisfying if he gets smashed.
Given the ending scene of the last ep I reckon he's gonna be more cnutish when raising his son

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I don't want a spinoff :mad:
I want the show to move towards a definite conclusion.

At this rate, I'll probably be forced to pick up the comic.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I’m sure the show itself will be good but there’s something about a load of American actors talking into a camera about how great it’ll be that puts me off. Maybe it was that Imagine cover.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I’m sure the show itself will be good but there’s something about a load of American actors talking into a camera about how great it’ll be that puts me off. Maybe it was that Imagine cover.
I honestly was expecting the announcement to be a parody of saved by the bell college years and such.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I don't want a spinoff :mad:
I want the show to move towards a definite conclusion.

At this rate, I'll probably be forced to pick up the comic.
Do you want the MCU to stop spinning off shows and come to a conclusion?

I think The Boys can create their own universe if they’re careful about it, just need decent writers.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Why did they all have names like Pan Glorbo.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The Boys parodying things like the MCU only to go and create their own cinematic universe is hilarious, it's like they're missing the point of their own show.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

I think The Boys can create their own universe if they’re careful about it, just need decent writers.
The MCU isn't really spinning off shows, they're based on comics and many of the comic series aren't spin offs of each other.

A better comparison would be if Star Wars started doing the prequels in the middle of the original trilogy.

phelans shorts

The Boys parodying things like the MCU only to go and create their own cinematic universe is hilarious, it's like they're missing the point of their own show.
I’ll give it a chance. The concept of these juiced up teenagers is interesting enough with the wild shit that’ll go on, so long as they don’t plan on it being a long running thing then a season or two should be fine.

Yes my god who doesn’t want it to end

redcucumber

I find the lead characters in this show really irritating. MM, Homelander, and The Deep are the only ones that are well delivered in my opinion. Butcher can be great but the farcical accent and those little pursed lip smiles he does spoil it. I feel like it's a really interesting concept for a show that is sort of meandering a bit, as if they are making it up as they go. I like that it subverts the tedious as feck Marvel/superhero feckpie but I feel like it's missed something on the way.

Last edited:

phelans shorts

So you all want to destroy something you don't like?

Is that what's going on with The Boys, then, you don't like it and want it to end?
Who says you have to dislike something to want it to end?

Marvel (and years of dreadful tv tbf) have really fecked with peoples understanding of going out on something of a high. Way too often shows go on just too long and kill their own legacy.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
The MCU isn't really spinning off shows, they're based on comics and many of the comic series aren't spin offs of each other.

A better comparison would be if Star Wars started doing the prequels in the middle of the original trilogy.
What is it the guy calls Nicolas Van Orton (played brilliantly by Michael Douglas) in The Game, "a left-brain word fetishist?"

The Boys is also based on a comic, as I'm sure you know. Moon Knight was first in Warewolf-By-Night, then he got his own series, that's not a spin-off?

In fact, most every character in Marvel or DC that has his own series is a spin off. Iron Man started in Tales of Suspense, then got his own series, just like Batman started in Detective Comics and Superman started in Action Comics . Captain America did start in Captain America Comics 1, but that's an exception.

The Boys comics are a hot mess, there is no through story to tell, they can only use parts best they can. But then those old Marvel and DC comics were generally pulp for children and not fit for direct translation into film, either.

Either way, they're derivations, if you prefer that word. Or perhaps you might suggest a better word if you agree with the concept.

They just need to actually have a good story to tell, if they can throw in a few connections to the other show, to enrich the environment without having to spend the time laying all the ground work, all the better.

Last edited:

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
What is it the guy calls Nicolas Van Orton (played brilliantly by Michael Douglas) in The Game, "a left-brain word fetishist?"

The Boys is also based on a comic, as I'm sure you know. Moon Knight was first in Warewolf-By-Night, then he got his own series, that's not a spin-off?

In fact, most every character in Marvel or DC that has his own series is a spin off. Iron Man started in Tales of Suspense, then got his own series, just like Batman started in Detective Comics and Superman started in Action Comics . Captain America did start in Captain America Comics 1, but that's an exception.

The Boys comics are a hot mess, there is no through story to tell, they can only use parts best they can. But then those old Marvel and DC comics were generally pulp for children and not fit for direct translation into film, either.

Either way, they're derivations, if you prefer that word. Or perhaps you might suggest a better word if you agree with the concept.

They just need to actually have a good story to tell, if they can throw in a few connections to the other show, to enrich the environment without having to spend the time laying all the ground work, all the better.
I'm not a comics snob for basically any series but I'd say the boys source material is far better than the show, though the show has been good

VanDeBank

Ma’am

You know as well as I do a superhero film is often based on existing stories from the comics and not a direct spin off from another film based on comics. The fact that the comic spun off 100 years ago is not relevant at all.

Anyway, my point was never that spin offs suck. That was someone else's misinterpretation of my post. My point is that the fact that very little happened in the boys season 3 combined with the fact that they're doing a spin off series that ties is the start of the milking process.

No I do not enjoy 20 years worth of Bleach manga coming out. I want a beginning, a middle part and an end to my story. If they start a new story, do so when the original ends and don't drag it out. I've never seen the Star Wars prequels for example, nor do I care for them. I'm fine with an extended star wars universe, just conclude the existing story without filler (which they did). Another example is Harry Potter. I want the same for The Boys.

Spoony

The People's President
The show is great. Yeah something about red lasers being stronger than yellow lasers which are a tad more powerful than blue lasers..which are shockingly stronger than red lasers.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Is that what's going on with The Boys, then, you don't like it and want it to end?
Wtf :lol:

It means you like the show because you want it to have a defined beginning and end rather than dragging it out for years and ruining it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

God, yes.

mu4c_20le

:lol: the show is centered around Butcher and Homelander. I reckon it will drop a few levels once they are gone.

Sylar

Nothing wrong with spin offs if they are defined well and there is a plan in place

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

No you’re right, I’ve thought about it now and I think we should eschew endings altogether. Keeping things going indefinitely for largely money making purposes is, after all, the real purpose of art. Endings are for losers.

How about a Usual Suspects Cinematic Universe? Or better yet a prequel? We all now know who Keyser Soze is, but we haven’t seen his early life as a super chill dude going on sexy escapades in Turkey with his motley cruse of wise cracking friends?!

What about a Godfather cinematic Universe? Godfather 3 was a huge success, so who doesn’t want to check in with Andy Garcia’s new Don to see what wacky hijinks he’s up to? We could cast Fin Wolfhard as his new Michael-esque son and Patton Oswald as the voice of an animated character only he can see!?

What about a Sixth Sense spin off where one of the ghosts helps an adult Haley Joel Osmond solve crimes? Or a soft reboot of The Graduate where we find our erstwhile couple has settled into a loveless marriage and their kids have all developed older woman/man complexes and are being groomed by their high school teachers. Hilarity insues!

No new generation should ever get their own new things. We should force them to like diminishing returns of the good things we like forever. For that is the real Larkin-esque purpose of life.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
You know as well as I do a superhero film is often based on existing stories from the comics and not a direct spin off from another film based on comics. The fact that the comic spun off 100 years ago is not relevant at all.

Anyway, my point was never that spin offs suck. That was someone else's misinterpretation of my post. My point is that the fact that very little happened in the boys season 3 combined with the fact that they're doing a spin off series that ties is the start of the milking process.

No I do not enjoy 20 years worth of Bleach manga coming out. I want a beginning, a middle part and an end to my story. If they start a new story, do so when the original ends and don't drag it out. I've never seen the Star Wars prequels for example, nor do I care for them. I'm fine with an extended star wars universe, just conclude the existing story without filler (which they did). Another example is Harry Potter. I want the same for The Boys.
You’re saying Gen-V isn’t based on the comics? I assumed it is based on the teen-team called G-Wiz, first appearing in issue #24.

I know what you mean about some media being dragged out unnecessarily, like The Hobbit trilogy. I don’t want to see that.

Nor do I want to see a series rush to get somewhere, like the latest iteration of the X-Men rushed to get to the Dark Phoenix saga.

Usually these sort of shows don’t work, but then most shows are failures that get canceled. I guess we’ll have to hope we get lucky.

It would certainly be nice if they can build up something interlaced that comes together as nicely as Harry Potter, but that’s a lot to hope for, probably the only series ever to do it.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I'm not a comics snob for basically any series but I'd say the boys source material is far better than the show, though the show has been good
The Boys doesn’t even tell a story. It’s entertaining enough, but it’s a mess, imho. Jumps all around, very little relates to other parts, we get like 8 issues in a row towards the end just telling the history of Vought from the Vietnam War.

For me, the show is way better, but then that’s opinions for you.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Let’s be honest, if the same writers are involved it’ll be great.

You can deal with some really big issues in that space.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Wtf :lol:

It means you like the show because you want it to have a defined beginning and end rather than dragging it out for years and ruining it.
The MCU is vast, the whole thing isn’t going to come to a conclusion. You’re certainly not going to see the end of Spider-Man related stories, ever, he won’t die or retire or whatever. That’s not necessarily a bad thing

The Boys has the same opportunity to create an extended universe. We might see an end to a particular story arc, like Starlight vs. Homelander, but there’s no reason to end Homelander‘a story there, or Starlights.

I would home it might look like the Marvel phases, which rap up a bunch of story lines at one point and start a bunch of new ones.