Television The Boys

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Karl Urban set to star in upcoming comic book series The Boys
New Zealand actor Karl Urban will return to the comic book world with the lead role in the upcoming drama adaptation of The Boys from Amazon Studios, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Based on the comic series of the same name, the show follows the titular superpowered CIA squad who closely monitor the superhero community as their celebrity status has corrupted them and led them to engage in reckless behavior compromising the world.

The source material, which ran for 72 issues between 2006 and 2012, was co-created by Darick Robertson, who helped co-create the Happy graphic novel series that was recently adapted by Syfy, and Garth Ennis, who’s known for creating the Preacher comic series with a TV adaptation currently running on AMC. It quickly earned popularity for its more graphic nature, in which Ennis sought to outdo the extreme violence and sexuality displayed in the Preacher comics.

Urban will take on the role of Billy Butcher, the leader of The Boys who holds a personal and secret agenda as he enlists the help of a man torn apart by his girlfriend’s death at the hands of a superhero along with the rest of the squad. The series is being developed by Supernatural creator Eric Kripke and Preacher TV creators Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, who will be directing the eight-episode first season set to debut sometime in 2019.

Urban is well-known in the action and comic book worlds, starring in The Lord of the Rings franchise as Eomer, Thor: Ragnarok as Skurge, Judge Dredd in the 2012 adaptation of the titular comic character, and in the Star Trek reboot series as Dr. Leonard “Bones” McCoy. The 45-year-old actor has also starred in fan-favorite TV shows including Xena: Warrior Princess, Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and the short-lived sci-fi thriller Almost Human.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Someone that posted that trailer on twitter said it was riddled with spoilers so beware

Oldyella

Can't wait for this. Original series was enjoyable enough although I always found the violence and sexual stuff a bit much tbh.

But Karl Urban is normally great in everything, same with Anthony Starr and the team who did Preacher is a good sign.

Dan

Watching the first episode right now, pretty good so far.

JohnZSmith27

Never read the comics so I knew nothing going in. 4 episodes down and loving it. Karl Urban is such a boss.

Art Vandelay

I haven't read the comics either, but watched the first three episodes and thought it was pretty damn good. Karl Urban is awesome. It was a bit freaky seeing the guy from Banshee as a superhero, but Anthony Starr has been just as good in this as he was in Banshee. I loved Banshee, I miss it.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
The fact Simon Pegg is in it will be lost on most.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
3 episodes in and loving it so far.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Karl Urban’s horrendous cockney accent is doing my nut right in guv’nor, awight? It is impossible for Americans to write an English character and not have them say “wanker” in almost their first appearance. They are weirdly obsessed with us saying that word.

Oh, and the show is pretty good so far.

Art Vandelay

Do I get to call some of you book wankers and act weirdly aggressive now?

I've binge watched to the point I've only got one episode left. It's been great so far, much better than I was expecting.

Fingeredmouse

Karl Urban’s horrendous cockney accent is doing my nut right in guv’nor, awight? It is impossible for Americans to write an English character and not have them say “wanker” in almost their first appearance. They are weirdly obsessed with us saying that word.

To be fair, he does say virtually every other swear word too.

Edit: Also love the fact that the post below yours uses the word "wankers"by referencing the commonly used Redcafe "Book Wankers" expression.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
So I got really sick on Friday night and ended up spending all of yesterday in bed binge watching this on a random Amazon recommendation and I really enjoyed it.

Despite some of the Ennis gross out moments (Deep is just tacky), I think it showed why I personally am so bored of the Hollywood Marvel stuff. This type of show is in the tradition of Planetary and Miracleman comics that show a more realistic view of what superheroes might actually be like.

I enjoy these more realistic and thought provoking depictions.

Last edited:

Mockney

To be fair, he does say virtually every other swear word too.
I mean, he does say God’s a cnut, so fair play. He just does it in an absolutely ridiculous accent.*

Onto ep 6 now, the world building is very good and the guy from Banshee is well cast as evil Superman, as he’s just got that kind of handsome but sort of creepy face where everything’s just a little bit off.... plus he gets to use a lot more of his facial expressions in this.

* Just got to a point where he says “twat” wrong (twot??!!) ....NOPE!! INTO THE SEA!!!

Last edited:

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax

He's from new Zealand.

Sanche7

Amazon doesn't have many original shows (Compared to Netflix) but their original shows are pretty good quality. Good Omens was very good, this looks very good from the two episodes I've seen, Jack Ryan series was pretty good, Hanna was entertaining and other shows like Goliath, Bosch, Patriot, The Grand Tour, Sneaky Pete, The Man in The High Castle, The Expanse are all very good. Oh and then there is The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, which is fantastic.

Amazon maynot be pumping out original content like Netflix, but their content IMO is of higher quality than Netflix. Add that to the upcoming LOTR show, I can see Amazon overtaking Netflix is 5-10 years if Netflix don't sort their stuff out. Out of the nearly 100 originals they release a month, barely handful are quality. Even Netflix admitted that their original programming needs to be of better quality

Oldyella

Finished it this morning. Really enjoyable. Interested to see where it goes next.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Yeah, but the character is being written by Americans. Karl’s not ad-libbing in more wankers (though he might be for all I know?)
True, it's funny American actors (excluding urban he's a kiwi) can't do British accent but brit actors more often than not nail American accents.

Art Vandelay

Onto ep 6 now, the world building is very good and the guy from Banshee is well cast as evil Superman, as he’s just got that kind of handsome but sort of creepy face where everything’s just a little bit off.... plus he gets to use a lot more of his facial expressions in this.
It's his eyes being two different sizes and his mouth being kind of strange looking that gives it the creepy vibe I think. He was fantastic in this. I was hoping for more action scenes after what he did in Banshee, but he was great without them.

I finished it last night and it's the best super hero related film/show I've seen in years. DC is shite and Marvel has gone down the toilet the last couple of years for me, so this was a very welcome return to form. It's up there with Constantine and DareDevil at the top of the superhero TV shows for me, but that's not saying much I suppose as the rest are shite.

I will say I was expecting more action, but it worked just fine without leaning too heavily into that.

Andersons Dietician

Was great until the last episode where the ending I felt was very weak. Umbrella Academy and Titans probably pip this but like I said entertaining sometimes hilarious up until the last episode.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
True, it's funny American actors (excluding urban he's a kiwi) can't do British accent but brit actors more often than not nail American accents.
Not really though. They all do the same Midwestern standard 'network broadcasting' accent and it's just as out of place in a lot of roles as Urban as cockney. For example the guy in Billions sounds nothing like someone who grew up in New York would actually sound.

Mockney

Largely probably because we grow up with their cultural products/TV/film etc, way more than they do with ours... though weirdly, you’d imagine that Kiwi’s would be pretty good at English accents, considering they would’ve likely grown up with a lot of English stuff, being Commonwealth and all.

Australian, Scots Welsh, Irish etc actors can usually nail an English accent without much fuss.

Last edited:

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Largely probably because we grow up with their cultural products/TV/film etc, way more than they do with ours... though weirdly, you’d imagine that Kiwi’s would be pretty good at English accents, considering they would’ve likely grown up with a lot of English stuff, being Commonwealth and all.

Australian, Scots Welsh, Irish etc actors can usually nail an English accent without much fuss.
On topic got this downloaded to watch at work, looking forward to it.

evil_geko

Brilliant TV this, best I've seen this year, binged it in one day yesterday. It was perfect time to come out as I sprained my ankle night before yesterday so I had nothing better to do.

I do agree finale was kinda underwhelming.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Few episodes in, really enjoying it.

lsd

The Oracle
Surely this superhero stuff has got to end at some point and I know they are saying superheros are bad in this do it's not another superhero show but it is yet another fecking superhero show

evil_geko

Surely this superhero stuff has got to end at some point and I know they are saying superheros are bad in this do it's not another superhero show but it is yet another fecking superhero show
It more isn't than it is, this is the perfect antidote to Marvel/Superhero stuff.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It more isn't than it is, this is the perfect antidote to Marvel/Superhero stuff.
Yes. Exactly right.

I thought this series was great. I fecking want more. And contrary to what other cnuts have said, I thought the finale was great. The final plot twist was perfect. The perfect antidote to a huge epic final battle.

I can’t wait for season 2. Oh, and Karl Urban is the fecking shit. Plus, the guy who played Homelander, fecking nailed it.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Just finished episode 4.

The dolphin bit :lol:

I love how the show mixes humour and drama so well. It borders on taking itself too seriously at times but then throws in hilarious bits like that to remind you that it's still a pure fantasy world.