Television The Boys

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Yeah I'd be glad if they just killed off Frenchie and Kimiko
Whats weird is he was a different character when he was introduced. Add to that, the whole "im a deranged crime boss and I'll make you choose between two loved one's" thing doesnt fit with the tone of the series and was poorly written.

I can stare endlessly at Kimiko's face, but her story feels completo.

sport2793

Fight scene was so good. Hopefully we get to see more of Soldier Boy, I’m really liking the character.
Ya it's really a Supernatural reunion with Kripke as the director and Jensen Ackles working with him again as Soldier Boy. His dialogue with Homelander was pretty spot on.

Hamnat

Hughie, Frenchie and Kimiko's part bore me to death, the rest is very very good.
I actually thought Hughie's scene with Soldier Boy was the best character stuff we have got from Soldier Boy this season. It let him act and show who he is now, when he said "I'm not a bad guy I didn't mean to kill all those people". He does the same thing in his Butcher scenes also. He cracks the humanity out of the oversized characters and egos. The A-train interaction here as well, finally he breaks A-Train down that's all Hughie too that got through to him.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
So I managed to burn through two and half series in a week and am all caught up now. It's been great watching episode after episode for days now. Great show so far though some characters are extremely irritating. I know there's more to come from Black Noir but I wish he had more screen time and Cherie....holy feck! :drool:. Don't know why people are raving about the Herogasm bit as it was pretty lame tbh. I was a bit gutted when Kimiko got nerfed too as that was part of her charm.

Still, can't have everything I suppose. Not sure how much farther they can take this story though as something's got to give. Probably has enough legs for one more series. Once they start doing the origin stories and spin-offs though I'm done.

Red Stone

"Cos, that's a real man. Holy shit, did he make some strong drinks!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do we reckon Homelander's powers have been at least somewhat reduced by Soldier Boy doing the absorbtion thingy on him? Might finally be vincible, even if Soldier Boy isn't involved in the big final fight.

atkar83

I love this show. Watching the eps is so entertaining, and this one was a blast. People complain about the slower moments (Frenchie storyline), but you need a break between all the action or it becomes overwhelming. It's why they have those childish comedy segments at Cirque shows I think, haha.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I love this show. Watching the eps is so entertaining, and this one was a blast. People complain about the slower moments (Frenchie storyline), but you need a break between all the action or it becomes overwhelming. It's why they have those childish comedy segments at Cirque shows I think, haha.
As far as I am concerned, I don't mind a slower pace sequence as long as it is interesting, Frenchie 's story seems completely separate from the rest

RedRoach

I can't think of such a well cast show where the villain is the unquestionable star of the show. Possibly the last one was Heroes where Zachary Quinto was a sensational villain as Sylar, unfortunately that series was only good for 1 series before turning to shit. Anthony Starr is absolutely brilliant in this. The way he transitions between deranged psychopathic narcissist to somebody vulnerable who clearly had a pretty shit upbringing makes him such an engaging onscreen character.

Him and Karl Urban are just brilliant and the remaining support cast play their roles well. The comedy bounces from hilarious to outrageous to ridiculous to just plain stupid (the latest Herogasm scene was pretty lame IMO) but overall I love how it engages with relevant topics highlighting what a ridiculous world we actually live in today.

Overall an incredible show that just keeps getting better.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Do we reckon A-Train is dead? Seemed like an ending for his character anyway. What a gruesome kill on Blue Hawk.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Do we reckon A-Train is dead? Seemed like an ending for his character anyway. What a gruesome kill on Blue Hawk.
First off, spoiler that man.

Second off

Yea I think so, they teased his death in the first season as well so this time I think he's gone for sure. It's a fitting ending as well, coming to terms with what he had done in the past by saying sorry to Hughie and then taking revenge on the guy who killed many innocent people himself, eventhough he knew he might die in the process

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
It certainly seemed as though that was the end for him, with the rapid heartbeat followed by silence. Plus his apology to Hughie. Doesn't seem much point in bringing him back after that.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
First off, spoiler that man.

Second off

Yea I think so, they teased his death in the first season as well so this time I think he's gone for sure. It's a fitting ending as well, coming to terms with what he had done in the past by saying sorry to Hughie and then taking revenge on the guy who killed many innocent people himself, eventhough he knew he might die in the process
I won’t spoiler. People shouldn’t be in the thread if they’ve not seen the latest episode.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
:drool:

Anyone else think Urban's accent isn't quite as all over the place this season? Sounds more like a Michael Caine impression.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

Anyone else think Urban's accent isn't quite as all over the place this season? Sounds more like a Michael Caine impression.
Yeah it’s definitely better.

I think A Train is dead. There’s no point to his character anymore and it would be a good send off for him.

Maeve seems incredibly under used this season. Must be cause the actress couldn’t get over to the US much during Covid.

frenchie has just turned into a total withering wimp. What’s even the point of the character anymore? Total shift from the first season lunatic we were led to believe he was.

big rons sovereign

Yeah, he's definitely improved.
He seems to be carving himself a niche for brutal comic book characters. Dredd, Executioner, Bill Butcher...

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Yeah it’s definitely better.

I think A Train is dead. There’s no point to his character anymore and it would be a good send off for him.

Maeve seems incredibly under used this season. Must be cause the actress couldn’t get over to the US much during Covid.

frenchie has just turned into a total withering wimp. What’s even the point of the character anymore? Total shift from the first season lunatic we were led to believe he was.
Yeah I've thought he's crap this season too.

Red Stone

As far as I am concerned, I don't mind a slower pace sequence as long as it is interesting, Frenchie 's story seems completely separate from the rest
It will definitely tie up again, I think. MM also had his little story with his family that was separate from everything else, and he came back to the crew.

I think they've had to separate Frenchie from the rest because a drug fiend such as him would definitely be all over V24 if given the chance, while MM is completely against it. They'd be too powerful with three temporary supes and Soldier Boy against Homelander.

Didn't they sort of try to explain Butcher's ridiculous accent by having his dad be Australian?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I won’t spoiler. People shouldn’t be in the thread if they’ve not seen the latest episode.
Erm fine then, be an ass then I guess. So someone who is thinking of starting the series should go where to ask or see if it's nice?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Erm fine then, be an ass then I guess. So someone who is thinking of starting the series should go where to ask or see if it's nice?
If I do that I enter the thread and scroll to the reply box without looking at anything else. Or you can ask in the recommend me a tv show thread.

Sylar

Think the thread should be a discussion for episodes and overall. The risk of entering a thread like this and actually reading should be known

Putting everything into spoilers would defeat the purpose of discussion and a flowing thread

Andy_Cole

Think the thread should be a discussion for episodes and overall. The risk of entering a thread like this and actually reading should be known

Putting everything into spoilers would defeat the purpose of discussion and a flowing thread
Agreed. Only thing spoilered should be scenes in trailers I guess

Last edited:

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Vader and Obi-Wan have an Epic fight on Wednesday.

Homelander, Butcher and Soldier boy: hold our beers.

that wasnt the final clash either. If thats a starter then my god what are they going to be doing in episode 8. This show is top 5 ever for me

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
It really was a barnstomper of an episode.

Here's some thoughts:

- I have to say the actress that plays Ashley is fantastic. She ranges from neurotic mental head case to deluded hypernormed coldhearted bitch effortlessly.
- The real star though, acting wise, is Anthony Starr. He has such an unnerving presence on screen, and his face conveys so much.
- The actual fear that showed in his face firstly when Soldier Boy gave as good as he got and when Butcher also came to the fore. Awesome stuff.
- I love Black Noir, him cutting that chip out and going on the run...let's see what happens with that.
- The Imagine parody was so on point. I wasn't sure if they used actual footage for some of it, as I'm sure some of the celebs in that were in the Gal Gadot one??
- As a general point, the satire this show does is always on point. But what it does well is mock both the right and left.
- Not really feeling Frenchie & Kimiko's storyline...but it could be their way of exiting the show (going to Marseille) at the end of the season.
- Interesting watching Hughie's slow descent into Butcher...and Butcher's slow descent into Homelander.
- Soldier Boy is a really interesting addition to the show. There's a lot of potential with him, I wonder where they'll go with it.
- Perhaps he'll remove Homelander's powers, and become the new big bad...where a now powerless Homelander has to team up with Butcher to take him down? Maybe that's Season 4.
- Overall this is an excellent show - really strong writing, casting, and acting.

One thing that I've found with Amazon shows, more so than Netflix, is the writing is a lot stronger and the storylines tend to be a fair bit intruiging.

predator

Youth NITK
I agree with this. I tend to avoid it until I've seen the latest episode. Everyone should be able to discuss and hypothesise the show without fear of upsetting others.

mu4c_20le

Vader and Obi-Wan have an Epic fight on Wednesday.

Homelander, Butcher and Soldier boy: hold our beers.

that wasnt the final clash either. If thats a starter then my god what are they going to be doing in episode 8. This show is top 5 ever for me
Probably won't be another straight up fight, it feels like everyone's already showed their hand. Something crazy will happen though and then bam..... giant cliffhanger

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Spoiler policy:

This is the spoiler policy which will be vigorously policed. If you are unsure or think the rules need modifying contact us before you post to avoid unhappiness when we infract you.

TV threads
- spoiler tags do not need to be used if the episode has been shows on television anywhere in the world AND the thread title relates to the TV show in question.
- If you haven't watched the latest episode keep out of the thread. There are lots of places to check the broadcast dates of programs are e.g. TV.com and Wikipedia.

Hamnat

Sure, but I always felt the left is accurately portrayed as the backdrop for the mocking of the right.

The "supes lives matter" exchange, for example.
What is not "accurately portrayed" on the right then. Taking into account that it is all satire.

From the review bombing on Amazon by "the right" who don't like it. All I take from it is they don't like the depictions of the "NRA" Gun culture", the "fake news media" attacks Homelander has been on. The Blue Hawk storyline targeting minority neighborhoods. And obviously all the Nazis are bad storylines with Stormfront last season. How is any of that from a satirical point of view of course not "accurately portrayed" here?

I think the bigger problem is how close to satire that stuff has reached in reality. Where it's hard to dramatize how far and wacky the rhetoric sounds when you can watch and hear very similar in real life on the news and alt right radio etc.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
What is not "accurately portrayed" on the right then. Taking into account that it is all satire.

From the review bombing on Amazon by "the right" who don't like it. All I take from it is they don't like the depictions of the "NRA" Gun culture", the "fake news media" attacks Homelander has been on. The Blue Hawk storyline targeting minority neighborhoods. And obviously all the Nazis are bad storylines with Stormfront last season. How is any of that from a satirical point of view of course not "accurately portrayed" here?

I think the bigger problem is how close to satire that stuff has reached in reality. Where it's hard to dramatize how far and wacky the rhetoric sounds when you can watch and hear very similar in real life on the news and alt right radio etc.
Sure, they're both accurately portrayed but in the American right's case that's identical to mocking. With regards to the left it's portrayal is necessary for the contrast.

As someone that's lived in Europe for more than two decades now, I don't see even see in "a left" within the show. Just normal vs bat shit insane.