Television The Caf' Anime Thread

DoomSlayer

Did you play the gbc games for Shaman King? Pokemon-like. Quite fun. Still play it from time to time.
I honestly haven't, but thanks a lot for the recommendation. I will definitely check it out and might even treat myself to a nostalgic trip by rewatching the anime. :D

It might be a silly question to ask in this thread as it probably has been discussed before, but what do you Naruto fans think about the spin-off "Rock Lee and his ninja pals"? Shockingly enough, I only properly found out about it a couple of weeks ago and had a very sceptical opinion of it. Never knew how much I had actually missed by not giving it a try but it got me hooked straight from the first episode - the entertainment and humour is incredible, in my opinion, though I have to admit of being too much of a fanboy of the series as a whole so I view barely anything with negativity. :lol:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I honestly haven't, but thanks a lot for the recommendation. I will definitely check it out and might even treat myself to a nostalgic trip by rewatching the anime. :D

It might be a silly question to ask in this thread as it probably has been discussed before, but what do you Naruto fans think about the spin-off "Rock Lee and his ninja pals"? Shockingly enough, I only properly found out about it a couple of weeks ago and had a very sceptical opinion of it. Never knew how much I had actually missed by not giving it a try but it got me hooked straight from the first episode - the entertainment and humour is incredible, in my opinion, though I have to admit of being too much of a fanboy of the series as a whole so I view barely anything with negativity. :lol:
It is incredibly poor graphically (for what you get today, back then it was slightly below average).
Would recommend going with spirit of the wolf as it has cooler spirits.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I tend to prefer anime because I often can't be arsed with manga. I finished Bleach on manga just to get to the ending, but it wasn't very enjoyable. Berserk on the other end has arcs that the anime skipped and are drawn incredibly well, so I prefer it. Anime skipping the lost children arc is a travesty in my opinion.

Wholeheartedly recommend the Berserk manga. But I would certainly recommend watching the old anime as well. Most hate the cgi anime of the newer series. I agree that the quality is low, but any berserk is better than no berserk in my book.

For what it's worth I watched the old anime, then the new one, then went on to read the manga from the beginning. I would recommend going that way because:
en
1. You get the start of the journey and understand more of the world by watching the old anime first.

2. If you read the manga before seeing the anime you'll be frustrated with things they cut, as seem to be the case with most manga to anime adaptations.
I definitely watch more manga, but I don't know if I like manga more per se. I read them in between sets at the gym. Bleach was very enjoyable for me as I stopped watching after the encounter with you know who. I think I might read the first 5 chapters of Beserk, and the first 3 episodes and then just decide which one.

Apart from the three manhwa I mentioned in post #1750, I also read these Korean Manga:
- SubZero
- Purple Hyacinth
- DICE
- unOrdinary
- Phantom Paradise
- My Dear Cold Blooded King
- Black Haze

Those are all ongoing. I just finished reading a completed series called Girls of the Wilds. Enjoyable apart from the final third of the series. One day I'll attempt to read the completed series of Bastard, Sidekicks, and Magician.

In terms of manga, I tried reading Dr Stone and Panlong but gave up on them. The worst part being that I was at 70+ chapter in both of them. So just Promised Neverland. Soon I'll start reading
Bezerk, and Kingdom.

Anime to try eventually:
Fate UBW
Full Metal Alchemist
The Time I Got Reunited as Slime.
Also need to try these anime:
Code Geass, Gintama, Stein Gate, Claymore, Magi season 2, Hellsing Ultimate, One Punch Man Season 2

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
So is your nickname a mix of Rasengan and Chidori? :D

Naruto is by far my favourite, Afro Samurai was incredible as well though - it's a shame that there are so few episodes about it. Not sure if people know it or appreciate it, but Shaman King was my thing back when I was a kid, though I know the manga and anime differences put off a lot of people from the show.
That's right. Naruto got me into anime and manga so it'll always be my favourite series. Shaman King was really good, completely forgot about that show. Jetix was awesome.
1. Death Note
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. HxH
4. Attack on Titan
5. FMA
Not much love for Samurai Champloo?

stepic

i've re-started watching neon genesis evangelion, which is one of the few animes i've seen. is it considered the dogs bollocks in anime circles or overrated?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
i've re-started watching neon genesis evangelion, which is one of the few animes i've seen. is it considered the dogs bollocks in anime circles or overrated?
It's considered either one of the greatest of all time or pretencious as feck. Might be both.
Haven't watched it myself as I never liked mecha or stuff remotely close to mecha.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think today's the day I return to some anime. Haven't watched any in probably over a year. Not because I lost interest, just life took over and there was other stuff to watch as well.

I think I'm going to return to One Piece and start Naruto. If I remember correctly, I was up to the part where Luffy and co were on their way to face Crocodile.
I posted this on July 19th 2018 and only got round to starting Naruto a couple of months ago, and I have to say....

I FREAKING LOVE NARUTO!!!!!!!!!!

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Ok, time to give the Top 5 a go (excluding anime that have been mentioned already)...

I FREAKING LOVE NARUTO!!!!!!!!!!
:lol:

Which arc are you reading (or watching) right now?

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Neon Genesis Evangelion is brilliant. Saw it as a kid and didn't like or appreciate it that much (was honestly a bit unnerved), but it seemed much better after a subsequent rewatch. Definitely one of my favorites now, though one thing with rating Eva is it gets brownie points for introducing more compelling themes to the mecha genre (which was plagued with gratifying but ultimately repetitive and boring combat anime like MOSPEADA, Voltes V and Gundam)...so some of its appeal is lost in time (a lot like Akira, which was a reference point for Japanese animated movies). Would also suggest Eureka Seven and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann if you're really into mecha, btw. :)

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
What is the third one?

It's really engrossing, IMO — great world building and storytelling with a massive cast of characters. Part space fantasy and part political drama.

Ooh, if you're interested in watching it follow this order:
  • Legend of Galactic Heroes: My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars (Movie)
  • Legend of Galactic Heroes Gaiden: Overture to a New Battle (Movie)
  • Legend of Galactic Heroes (Anime)
  • Legend of the Galactic Heroes Gaiden: A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights (OVA)

Rasendori

Man Of Culture

It's really engrossing, IMO — great world building and storytelling with a massive cast of characters. Part space fantasy and part political drama.

Ooh, if you're interested in watching it follow this order:
  • Legend of Galactic Heroes: My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars (Movie)
  • Legend of Galactic Heroes Gaiden: Overture to a New Battle (Movie)
  • Legend of Galactic Heroes (Anime)
  • Legend of the Galactic Heroes Gaiden: A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights (OVA)
Cheers.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
This is the last of my to watch list:
Fog Hill of Five Elements / Wu Shan Wu Xing
God Eater
Goblin Slayer
Kara no Kyōkai
Youjo Senji / The Saga of Tanya the Evuk
Angel Beats

3KDré

Haven't watch that much anime but (in no order):

1. Hunter X Hunter
  2. Attack on Titan
  3. Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
  4. Naruto
  5. Dororo
I need to watch more anime.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Haven't watch that much anime but (in no order):

1. Hunter X Hunter
  2. Attack on Titan
  3. Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
  4. Naruto
  5. Dororo
I need to watch more anime.
Opening song makes me feel like I'm going into a trance. :lol:

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Anyone keeping up with wano one piece ?
The latest spoilers are great !

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I've never watched it, yet I've seen the name/title "Clannad" sooo many times. Now that I think about it, I don't recall many anime which I've enjoyed the ending. That's partly my fault as I used to watch ongoing anime only.
You should be in for a treat, then! Clannad [Part 1] is really mellow, and does good job of immersing you in Hikarizaka High and introducing you to a handful of really likeable characters...and Clannad: After Story [Part 2] is the ultimate feels trip with a really intense climax. I like Kanon and Air as well, but Clannad is the real masterpiece of Key Studio and probably the peak of the whole slice-of-life genre.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
My top 5 anime:

1. Hunter x Hunter
2. Monster
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. DEVILMAN crybaby
5. Paprika

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I finally started watching Dragon Ball Z recently. I watched the original Dragon Ball series all the time as a kid and have rewatched it since a few times but for some reason I never carried onto Z. It's good fun but it's starting to get a little repetitive (I'm halfway through). Impossibly strong baddie appears, Goku is somehow incapacitated and so forth. The sense of adventure and cleverness in the fights just isn't there anymore, the one with the most power generally wins.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I finally started watching Dragon Ball Z recently. I watched the original Dragon Ball series all the time as a kid and have rewatched it since a few times but for some reason I never carried onto Z. It's good fun but it's starting to get a little repetitive (I'm halfway through). Impossibly strong baddie appears, Goku is somehow incapacitated and so forth. The sense of adventure and cleverness in the fights just isn't there anymore, the one with the most power generally wins.
I agree the original anime is superb. I preferred that strength rarely determined the outcome of the fight too and if so, there was a whole adventure Goku had to go on to become stronger, like finding the super divine water for example. Also, as it's the start of the journey, the characterisation is superior.

Originally there was no division between Dragon Ball & Z in the manga though. The only reason Z exists on it's own was for marketing reasons and to highlight the shift in tone between the two. It just depends what your preferences are. Z is really good also, but it follows the more traditional Shōnen story route, with its heavy action & transformations, as opposed to the light-hearted nature of the original.

Are you watching the original Dragon Ball Z or Kai? Kai cuts out the filler and gets straight to the action, which personally i'm not a big fan of. The fillers contain a lot of the humour and easy-going stories which are similar to the original Dragon Ball.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
I agree the original anime is superb. I preferred that strength rarely determined the outcome of the fight too and if so, there was a whole adventure Goku had to go on to become stronger, like finding the super divine water for example. Also, as it's the start of the journey, the characterisation is superior.

Originally there was no division between Dragon Ball & Z in the manga though. The only reason Z exists on it's own was for marketing reasons and to highlight the shift in tone between the two. It just depends what your preferences are. Z is really good also, but it follows the more traditional Shōnen story route, with its heavy action & transformations, as opposed to the light-hearted nature of the original.

Are you watching the original Dragon Ball Z or Kai? Kai cuts out the filler and gets straight to the action, which personally i'm not a big fan of. The fillers contain a lot of the humour and easy-going stories which are similar to the original Dragon Ball.
I'm watching the original, saw a few clips of Kai and thought it looked awful, the retro animation is such a big part of the franchise's appeal imo.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Is it strange that I'm finding Dragon Ball Super more enjoyable than most of Z? I like that's it's goofier and not as self serious, the pacing is very neat and succinct as well.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Finally finished the first season of Kimetsu no Yaiba — and while I won't watch the second season, it's definitely worthy of all the praise, despite the formulaic premise. This sequence from Episode 19 was so moving and brought a tear to my eye...in fact the whole build-up and climax was one of the best you're likely to witness in shōnen.

Tanjiro + Inosuke + Zenitsu is a brilliant trio, has to be said, and Tomioka and Nezuko aren't bad either!

P.S. Forgot to mention the Blessed rain after the drought water form from a previous episode, another moment that gave me chills.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Just caught up with One Piece after a hiatus and the latest chapter is pretty groovy (a welcome respite because Wano Act 2 meandered a fair bit).
One Piece latest chapter. Now thats make its interesting again.
  • Who else in a member of Sword? Maybe Garp, and for some reason I'm hoping one of Law or Mihawk is also in on it, far-fetched as that may sound! :lol:
  • Speaking of Mihawk, I'm eagerly waiting for the eventual Shichibukai bounty reveal...his must cross the clear the 1.5 billion Beli mark at least. Please let him join the Red Hair Pirates.
  • GG King Cobra
  • Sabo Sabo Sabo? Whatever are you trying to pull Oda?
  • Coby, Rear Admiral has a nice ring to it... :drool:

vangagal

Just caught up with One Piece after a hiatus and the latest chapter is pretty groovy (a welcome respite because Wano Act 2 meandered a fair bit).

• Who else in a member of Sword? Maybe Garp, and for some reason I'm hoping one of Law or Mihawk is also in on it, far-fetched as that may sound! :lol:
  • Speaking of Mihawk, I'm eagerly waiting for the eventual Shichibukai bounty reveal...his must cross the clear the 1.5 billion Beli mark at least. Please let him join the Red Hair Pirates.
  • GG King Cobra
  • Sabo Sabo Sabo? Whatever are you trying to pull Oda?
  • Coby, Rear Admiral has a nice ring to it... :drool:
Act 2 was too long for my liking.

• Helmeppo must be on it, isn't he? He is always like a duo with Coby. I think Jewerly Bony might be on it too considering it was Akainu himself who freed him from Blackbeard last time around. Or Smoker and Tashigi?
  • One thing for sure, if Sword is a secret agent for Marine, it means Akainu never trust WG at all or even Akainu doesnt know about it at all and it was one of Admiral's doing sound plausible.
  • Akagami must be come to aid Mihawk isnt it? Those 2 seems close like brothers after all. Remaining Shicibukai is up for grab for anyone. Finally, Fujitora and Smoker got what they always wanted.
  • One of King Cobra or Vivi must be in danger isnt? :(
  • I cant wait to see Luffy's reaction regarding this. He wont stay put if his last remaining brother in danger. It set up a good beginning after Wano.
  • Coby, whats his power like? Whats his ability? He climbs the ranks pretty fast.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Act 2 was too long for my liking.

• Helmeppo must be on it, isn't he? He is always like a duo with Coby. I think Jewerly Bony might be on it too considering it was Akainu himself who freed him from Blackbeard last time around. Or Smoker and Tashigi?
  • One thing for sure, if Sword is a secret agent for Marine, it means Akainu never trust WG at all or even Akainu doesnt know about it at all and it was one of Admiral's doing sound plausible.
  • Akagami must be come to aid Mihawk isnt it? Those 2 seems close like brothers after all. Remaining Shicibukai is up for grab for anyone. Finally, Fujitora and Smoker got what they always wanted.
  • One of King Cobra or Vivi must be in danger isnt? :(
  • I cant wait to see Luffy's reaction regarding this. He wont stay put if his last remaining brother in danger. It set up a good beginning after Wano.
  • Coby, whats his power like? Whats his ability? He climbs the ranks pretty fast.
  • Oh, aye — Helmeppo must be in on it since he's Coby's sidekick. Wonder if Sword's goal is to ultimately stage a coup d'état against the Gorosei and Imu-sama (with Dragon and the Revolutionary Army providing external thrust). Smoker and Tashigi, perhaps, ooh — Fujitora, he has a sword and seems quite idealistic...would be a seamless fit. Maybe the name Sword is a clue and we're headed for a Sword (scissors) vs. reunited remnants of Rocks Pirates (rock) vs. X (paper) threeway?
  • I think unless there is an Admiral on Kuraigana Island, Mihawk should be able to flee the Marines following a minor skirmish. He's supposed to be the “Strongest Swordsman” after all, someone who dueled with a Yonko, and shouldn't be weaker than at least Yonko First Commander level — anything less would be a disappointment. Don't think Oda will do it but I'd really like him and the scraps of the Whitebeard Pirates to join Shanks through the final stretch, in support of Luffy (who will be targeted by Imu, the Marines and Kurohige). Imagine a crew of...
Shanks
Benn Beckman
Mihawk
Lucky Roo
Marco
Yasopp

I'd daresay the brass is as strong as the Roger Pirates from back in the day (Roger/Shanks + Rayleigh/Beckman + Oden/Mihawk + Scopper/Roo + Crocus/Marco)! :drool:
  • Yep, hope it's Cobra because Vivi is crucial for stabilizing/governing Alabasta over the next generation.
  • Gravely endangering Sabo or having him captured by the World Government at this stage would be sooo bleh, I think. He's already died once and Ace was taken hostage by the Marines — and he has the latter's devil fruit, too — don't want to read history repeating itself, to be honest. Dragon seems to be all bark and little bite for now as well, time for him to come out of the shadows and assert himself in the New World.
  • Wrt. Coby I like the idea of him being a pure Haki expert, like his mentor Garp (who doesn't seem to have a devil fruit). Or maybe he will inherit one from the Admirals, like the Pika Pika no Mi if Kizaru's taken out — oh man, imagine Coby with teleportation, top tier haki, and Garp's First of Love...that would make him a ridiculously strong character by the time end game rolls around, great character development from the start of the series when he a total wuss.
  • I wonder what Vegapunk's new clone-army-creation is, hmm...
  • Also, I wanna see Enel in the New World. Ooh, maybe Coby with Enel's Goro Goro No Mi. As you can see, I'm going crazy fanboying over Coby right now! :lol:

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I've justed watched two episodes of Vinland Saga. Love it thus far. I can see it making my top 5 fave anime

el3mel

Finally finished Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood yesterday. It dragged with me because I didn't have to watch it bar 2 or 3 days a week. I will have to say I changed my earlier negative opinion on it midway through watching and I think it's a great show now that deserves the praise it has been getting over the years. Definitely a solid 9 for me.

However I still don't think it's the best ever shounen and it's not a 10/10 show. The comedy in the earlier episodes was pretty bad and destroyed loads of great moments and made it look far childish that what it should have been. Really I think this show is an example of how you shouldn't use comedy in your series. Could have been implemented far better than destroying serious moments by a joke about how Ed is shot or Al not being the FMA.

As the episodes went on the comedy started to decrease and the series started to become far more serious, that's when I started to love the show and enjoy it x10 more. That's when the anime started to deliver.

I think it took a good route regarding the main protagonist similar to HxH by not making him OP and doing everything on his own through gaining BS power out of nowhere. It left a great space for all the side characters to step up and show their worth in every battle and Ed wasn't the center of every encounter. I liked this. It allowed for great progress for the side cast and they were all pretty likable and memorable.

However I couldn't prevent myself from feeling the last few chapters and the confrontation with the main villain kinda went BS route out of nowhere. I don't think I enjoyed the last 4 or 5 episodes bar the great ending. Some other fights in the promising day arc kinda dragged (particularly the sloth fight) but it was alright overalla and I though that arc delivered what was promised of it pretty well up till the last confrontation with the main villain.

Overall it's definitely a tier 1 shounen similar to. HvH or currently AOT, however I don't think it's a 10/10 anime. 9 feels pretty good for me. Great anime with few minor flaws that prevented it from being a complete masterpiece.

el3mel

Dr. Stone has improved a lot since its slow start btw. It's pretty fun now and I'm enjoying the characters they introduced.