Television The Caf' Anime Thread

Andersons Dietician

So with My Hero Academia being on Netflix thought I’d give it a go. Instantly became hooked and smashed through the first season as that’s all they had on Netflix. So in my haste to view more I have got myself a Funimation account and am now in season 5 and watched something like 98 episodes in under a week. I love this show.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Ooooh, the characterization and existential angst in the very first episode (mostly with the Nameless boy and his distressing circumstances) hit me really hard as well; almost felt like a beautifully crafted standalone short film, rather than an introductory anime episode.

As a matter of fact, I have seen exactly 10 episode thus far! :lol:

Yep, pleasantly surprised that Gugu is alive (and juiced up?) following the time-skip sequence; was similarly distrustful and fearing the worst after getting my heart broken in the previous couple of story arcs. On a tangential note, given that Fushi has visibly aged — will we get to see grown up March further along in their journey, something that is hinted at in the opening? Would be pretty nice (and a fitting tribute to her as she had so many mature aspirations), I suppose.
The opening is something I watch once I've completed a series. It was interesting to see the confirmation (in ep 12) that the ageing effect is reversed [to how he remembers last seeing them] when he transforms. I can't see Fushi spending a prolonged period in her body without changing forms. Especially with the nature of the enemy that progresses in a similar means to the protagonist. Not only did the Nokker arrive with fireproof armour, but he attacked Gugu first, as they remembered the threat that he carried. My theory is that next time the Nokker will have some kind of long range ability, possibility a projectile of some sorts as the terrain proved to be the decisive factor which determined the outcome. The bear was obviously reliant on close range attacks that it jeopardized its advantage. Its imperative Fushi gets that stimulation so that he's prepared for the next predicament. So, if we do see March grown up, I don't think it will be in the form of Fushi.

Although, it was great to see March in the spirit realm. Since she's been living vicariously, she'll know that Gugu is a nice person, so wouldn't surprise me if we see them bonding. Do you think one of the reasons Fushi didn't transform for four years was because every time he transforms he needs to remember (at least subconsciously) the last image image he remembers of said person? At least the final moments he saw from Gugu was him unscathed. In fact, the final conversation (as in before Gugu died) between the two made me uncomfortable. Kudos to Gugu for trying to boost his confidence, but that diffidence from Fushi was painful to watch. I saw it as a reversal of the Nameless Boy's mental breakdown.

I think Gugu and March are in purgatory. I think you reach purgatory when you question the afterlife. Questioning is the same as not believing/having faith. This is why I think Nameless Boy's spirit wasn't shown. It wouldn't be the Nameless Boy's prerogative to question it, as paradise on Earth was what he was seeking anyway. Nor was he aware of Fushi's abilities. In contrast, its understandable that March and Gugu questioned the afterlife. Probably a load of nonsense. Admittedly, I would be more confident in this half hearted theory if Sissy wasn't in March's embellished reality, nor Rean Cropp in Gugu's. As that would mean its only dead people that they're around, therefore it would've been a conscious decision to reject it. Long way of saying I'm clueless.

I didn't watch the preview for episode 13. But it wouldn't surprise me if he's reluctant to make bonds with others fearing he'll be responsible for their misery. . Oh yeah, @Invictus @el3mel how powerful was that quote, "why am I who I am" when he disguised himself as Gugu.

el3mel

The opening is something I watch once I've completed a series. It was interesting to see the confirmation (in ep 12) that the ageing effect is reversed [to how he remembers last seeing them] when he transforms. I can't see Fushi spending a prolonged period in her body without changing forms. Especially with the nature of the enemy that progresses in a similar means to the protagonist. Not only did the Nokker arrive with fireproof armour, but he attacked Gugu first, as they remembered the threat that he carried. My theory is that next time the Nokker will have some kind of long range ability, possibility a projectile of some sorts as the terrain proved to be the decisive factor which determined the outcome. The bear was obviously reliant on close range attacks that it jeopardized its advantage. Its imperative Fushi gets that stimulation so that he's prepared for the next predicament. So, if we do see March grown up, I don't think it will be in the form of Fushi.

Although, it was great to see March in the spirit realm. Since she's been living vicariously, she'll know that Gugu is a nice person, so wouldn't surprise me if we see them bonding. Do you think one of the reasons Fushi didn't transform for four years was because every time he transforms he needs to remember (at least subconsciously) the last image image he remembers of said person? At least the final moments he saw from Gugu was him unscathed. In fact, the final conversation (as in before Gugu died) between the two made me uncomfortable. Kudos to Gugu for trying to boost his confidence, but that diffidence from Fushi was painful to watch. I saw it as a reversal of the Nameless Boy's mental breakdown.

I think Gugu and March are in purgatory. I think you reach purgatory when you question the afterlife. Questioning is the same as not believing/having faith. This is why I think Nameless Boy's spirit wasn't shown. It wouldn't be the Nameless Boy's prerogative to question it, as paradise on Earth was what he was seeking anyway. Nor was he aware of Fushi's abilities. In contrast, its understandable that March and Gugu questioned the afterlife. Probably a load of nonsense. Admittedly, I would be more confident in this half hearted theory if Sissy wasn't in March's embellished reality, nor Rean Cropp in Gugu's. As that would mean its only dead people that they're around, therefore it would've been a conscious decision to reject it. Long way of saying I'm clueless.

I didn't watch the preview for episode 13. But it wouldn't surprise me if he's reluctant to make bonds with others fearing he'll be responsible for their misery. . Oh yeah, @Invictus @el3mel how powerful was that quote, "why am I who I am" when he disguised himself as Gugu.
The spoiler in my post is up to the last episode aired.

I liked Gugu arc but the opening pretty much spoiled his death for me. I really liked the opening song so I watched it several times, at one point I realized it kinda spoiled a lot of deaths in it, which was really stupid from their perspective, but it was still emotionally done well and still had a big impact on me. Great arc. I'm curious how the story progresses on from there.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
The spoiler in my post is up to the last episode aired.

I liked Gugu arc but the opening pretty much spoiled his death for me. I really liked the opening song so I watched it several times, at one point I realized it kinda spoiled a lot of deaths in it, which was really stupid from their perspective, but it was still emotionally done well and still had a big impact on me. Great arc. I'm curious how the story progresses on from there.
Gotcha. I think watching One Piece dubbed led me to go to great lengths to have as little information as possible. Eventually, I stopped watching openings, credits, previews, and episode titles. Then I did the same with other shows, irrespective if it was dubbed or subbed. Although I still watch certain trailers, albeit not the full length.
I believe you're the same poster that knew Askeladd would die, as you claimed it was hinted at with either the episode preview or the episode title. In my case, I watched ep 1 with no prior knowledge of the protagonists appearance. Although, my method of securing a sense of ambiguity is not without its drawbacks. Whilst I don't get spoilers, there's several shows I wouldn't know about, as I go out of my way to know as little as possible.

Moving on ... I just watched the first episode of Sonny Boy.
Original anime. Same director from One Punch Man. Produced by MadHouse. Quirky. Sense of ambiguity. No background music for most of the first episode. Deals with the metaphysical.

el3mel

Gotcha. I think watching One Piece dubbed led me to go to great lengths to have as little information as possible. Eventually, I stopped watching openings, credits, previews, and episode titles. Then I did the same with other shows, irrespective if it was dubbed or subbed. Although I still watch certain trailers, albeit not the full length.
I believe you're the same poster that knew Askeladd would die, as you claimed it was hinted at with either the episode preview or the episode title. In my case, I watched ep 1 with no prior knowledge of the protagonists appearance. Although, my method of securing a sense of ambiguity is not without its drawbacks. Whilst I don't get spoilers, there's several shows I wouldn't know about, as I go out of my way to know as little as possible.

Moving on ... I just watched the first episode of Sonny Boy.
Original anime. Same director from One Punch Man. Produced by MadHouse. Quirky. Sense of ambiguity. No background music for most of the first episode. Deals with the metaphysical.
I don't remember about Askeladd exactly though his arc would have never ended properly without dying to be fair. However, Vinland Saga second opening did spoil a death and spoiled it really badly, Ragnar who was taking care of the prince. The first time I watched the opening I said "oh boy, how come they make such mistake". Also shame, because I liked this opening as well.

lawliet354

Has anyboady read the newest one-shot by Fujimoto Tatsuki (Chainsawman), that shit broke me. It's been praised by a lot other mangaka in Japan, one of the best one-shot I've read for sure.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009755

=====

On the other hand, I've seen some news on twitter that One Piece sales has surpassed Batman? So now it's 2nd best-selling manga/comic book worldwide, behind only Superman, that's actually insane

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Is one piece really that good? Now that I've finished AoT I thought I'd try that next. The first episode was so off-putting in comparison. Childish looking cartoon much like City of Gold from the 80s. Should I stick with it?

el3mel

Is one piece really that good? Now that I've finished AoT I thought I'd try that next. The first episode was so off-putting in comparison. Childish looking cartoon much like City of Gold from the 80s. Should I stick with it?
I didn't watch One Piece but you're talking about a series whose first episode aired in 1999, so you'll have to expect most of the first episodes to be really outdated by modern standards.

I didn't watch it because gone are the days I can watch such long shows. Just can't bring the level of commitment or time for a show for +900 episodes.

I actually think I can't even commit to watch a 100 episodes show anymore. Back in the day I watched HxH with its 148 episodes or so in a full month, watching 3-4 episodes daily. Don't think I can do that again nowadays.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Is one piece really that good?
The best, most rewarding and mostly intricately conceptualized manga/anime of them all, methinks — with a fictional universe that can be compared to Tolkien's legendarium or The Wheel of Time in terms of the scope (and scores higher than either on the uniqueness scale). Not for nothing is it now the 2nd highest selling comic of all time after only Superman. But you will have to be patient and forgiving with it at first go; unlike Shingeki no Kyoujin (which is set in a tiny little world and engages your senses with the very first episode), One Piece is deliberately meandering and takes a while to get off the ground as you're exploring a much grander verse with a million different building blocks, has a peculiar art-style and can be tough to take if you don't appreciate its innate sense of romance and absurdism.

Though when it does gather stream, it only gets better and better...and at practically every level too (be it characterization or world-building or story-telling); by far the greatest example of a long-running shōnen manga/anime maintaining a consistently excellent standard to go with endless mystery and intrigue and foreshadowing — instead of stagnating or falling by the wayside like Naruto, Bleach or Dragon Ball. I could honestly argue that right now (after 1019 chapters and 983 episodes over 2½ decades) is the best point in the entire series, and things will get exponentially better as there are so many adventures to be had and so much stuff that needs to be resolved.

Getting into it at this point will be quite challenging given the sheer ever-growing scale of the enterprise — no doubt about that; but if you decide to stick with it, this is a neat tool for tightening things up: One Piece Filler List. BON VOYAGE!

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Actively (one episode a week) watching:
One Piece Ep 715 (Dubbed)
Sonny Boy Ep 2
To Your Eternity Ep 13
Shadows House Ep 6 (Dubbed)

Shows I started last year, and need to finish - Michiko-hatchin (on episode 6), From the New World (On episode 4), When They Cry Ep 10
Battle Shounen - Full Metal Alchemist, Gintama
Shounen - Norogami, Claymore
Spectacle Action - Durarara, Hellsing, Angel Beats, Psycho Pass, Ghost in Shell, 91 Days
Drama - Monster, Tokyo Magnitude, Nana,
Romance - Clannad, Horimiya, After the Rain, karakai-jozu-no-takagi-san
Fantasy - Mononoke
Isekai -Gate, RE:Zero
Sci-Fi - Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Future Boy Conan, Knights of Sidonia, Texhnolyze, Wolf Rain
Mecha - Code Geass, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Pscychological - Stein Gate, Death Parade, Future Diary, Casshern_Sins
Slice of Life - Natsume Yuujinchou, Usagi Drop, Mushishi, Great Teacher
Japanese Culture - Showa Genrouku, Chihayafuru
Stellar Animation -
Unique - Made in Abyss, Noein,
Mystery - Moriarty the Patriot, Darker than Black
Thriller - Phantom Requiem,
Dementia - Serial Experiments, Paranoia Agent, FLCL

Last year, I searched anime's with the best storyline on Google. I had a look at all the links within the first 5 pages, and jotted down the shows mentioned without looking at the reasoning. The above is what I got. Then I searched the names to identify the genre.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
The best, most rewarding and mostly intricately conceptualized manga/anime of them all, methinks — with a fictional universe that can be compared to Tolkien's legendarium or The Wheel of Time in terms of the scope (and scores higher than either on the uniqueness scale). Not for nothing is it now the 2nd highest selling comic of all time after only Superman. But you will have to be patient and forgiving with it at first go; unlike Shingeki no Kyoujin (which is set in a tiny little world and engages your senses with the very first episode), One Piece is deliberately meandering and takes a while to get off the ground as you're exploring a much grander verse with a million different building blocks, has a peculiar art-style and can be tough to take if you don't appreciate its innate sense of romance and absurdism.

Though when it does gather stream, it only gets better and better...and at practically every level too (be it characterization or world-building or story-telling); by far the greatest example of a long-running shōnen manga/anime maintaining a consistently excellent standard to go with endless mystery and intrigue and foreshadowing — instead of stagnating or falling by the wayside like Naruto, Bleach or Dragon Ball. I could honestly argue that right now (after 1019 chapters and 983 episodes over 2½ decades) is the best point in the entire series, and things will get exponentially better as there are so many adventures to be had and so much stuff that needs to be resolved.

Getting into it at this point will be quite challenging given the sheer ever-growing scale of the enterprise — no doubt about that; but if you decide to stick with it, this is a neat tool for tightening things up: One Piece Filler List. BON VOYAGE!
Wow that's a great response. I can see why you were poster of the year twice. That is exactly what I needed to hear, because secretly I didn't want to miss out on this mammoth if it truly was/is genius.

Ok, my (social) life is in your hands now.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Ooh, one last thing: try to watch the subbed version please, @Dumbstar; having sampled both, it's richer experience and a truer interpretation of the native material as the modulations and eccentricities of Japanese don't quite translate to English (especially as it pertains to individual characters and general humor), and the voice actors are legendary (most prominently Luffy's seiyu Mayumi Tanaka...who is almost 70 years old now). And as an added benefit, the original is almost 200 episodes ahead the FUNimation dub — so you'll have more stuff to watch several months/years from now! :)

James_42

Has anyboady read the newest one-shot by Fujimoto Tatsuki (Chainsawman), that shit broke me. It's been praised by a lot other mangaka in Japan, one of the best one-shot I've read for sure.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009755

=====

On the other hand, I've seen some news on twitter that One Piece sales has surpassed Batman? So now it's 2nd best-selling manga/comic book worldwide, behind only Superman, that's actually insane
That one-shot was incredible, I'm really glad you posted it, I wouldn't have come across it otherwise.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Background: Inuyama, has a Momotaro Shrine, and holds a festival called the Momotaro Festival at the shrine on May 5 of every year. Momotarō is strongly associated with Okayama, and his tale may have its origins there.

One day, Momotaro decided to go and defeat the ogres living on Ogre Island that were pillaging the land. The old woman fixed him some delicious millet dumplings, known as kibi-dango O-Tama?, for his long journey to the island. On the way, a monkey Luffy?, a dog Yamato?, and a pheasant Marco? joined him, giving them a dumpling each in return for their help in fighting the ogres. Grown up Momotaro goes on journey to defeat the demons (oni) when he hears about the demons Beast Pirates? of the Onigashima (ghost island). In some stories Momotaro volunteered to go help the people by repelling the demons, but in some stories he was forced by the townspeople or others to go on journey.
Japanese Mythology & Folklore: Momotaro, the Peach Boy.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
That one-shot was incredible, I'm really glad you posted it, I wouldn't have come across it otherwise.
It's really emotional and the art fits really well despite some panels where I confused the 2 characters haha, can't wait for part 2 of Chainsaw man.

el3mel

People who are still watching To Your Eternity, I can't be the only one who feels the show has a lot of its steam since Gugu arc ended ? The entire island arc has been really low quality in comparison to the previous few arcs. Only 3 episodes left, so a little bit shame I'm starting to feel it's going down hill. I hope the last few episodes are better.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Momonosuke getting the Gon treatment huh
Interestingly, a few One Piece theorists had predicted this turn of events a couple of years ago — except, that plot-line involved Jewelry Bonney and her age-manipulation fruit (instead of Shinobu with her Juku Juku no Mi). I guess ripening/maturing makes more sense as Momo would be closer to unlocking his potential...as opposed to simply ageing? Anxiously waiting for him to claim the Ame no Habakiri now — followed by the speculated Momotaro-Monkey-Dog-Pheasant double page spread! :drool:

lawliet354

People who are still watching To Your Eternity, I can't be the only one who feels the show has a lot of its steam since Gugu arc ended ? The entire island arc has been really low quality in comparison to the previous few arcs. Only 3 episodes left, so a little bit shame I'm starting to feel it's going down hill. I hope the last few episodes are better.
I don't watch the anime but read the manga for a bit, I feel like the quality definitely has been going downhill. I forgot which arc I dropped it but it feels really similar with Promised Neverland, amazing first couple of arcs, huge drop in quality after

RoyH1

Anyone here besides me an Evangelion fan? The last film of the Rebuild series was released on Prime simultaneously with the 2 first ones. Finally the end to all Evangelion and what a weird and extravagant ride it has been. I'm still gathering my thoughts about it.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Anyone here besides me an Evangelion fan? The last film of the Rebuild series was released on Prime simultaneously with the 2 first ones. Finally the end to all Evangelion and what a weird and extravagant ride it has been. I'm still gathering my thoughts about it.
I watched it as soon as it came out at midnight! Need to watch it again as I had forgotten about the premier and was very sleepy.

It was a good thing the 4 movies are now in prime video, they have been spaced over so many years that I need to rewatch the whole anime, the movies that are a continuationg of the anime and then the 4 movies.

I still liked the movie but like I said i has been 20 years since I first watched the anime as a kid so there are surely a lot of things happening flying over my head, I like that this movies are easier to watch and not as 'dense' as the anime but you still need to watch the whole series to get everything that is going on as the movies are targeted towards the fans of the original series.

The end part of the movie gets super trippy but I think I got the overall idea and it was a nice change of pace to end it like that. Also I haven't checked the manga but read Mari appears in there, I don't mind her but I do feel she needs a lot of background because even if the movie hints a lot of it towards the end I just don't really know what's up with the her the majority of the time.

RoyH1

I watched it as soon as it came out at midnight! Need to watch it again as I had forgotten about the premier and was very sleepy.

It was a good thing the 4 movies are now in prime video, they have been spaced over so many years that I need to rewatch the whole anime, the movies that are a continuationg of the anime and then the 4 movies.

I still liked the movie but like I said i has been 20 years since I first watched the anime as a kid so there are surely a lot of things happening flying over my head, I like that this movies are easier to watch and not as 'dense' as the anime but you still need to watch the whole series to get everything that is going on as the movies are targeted towards the fans of the original series.

The end part of the movie gets super trippy but I think I got the overall idea and it was a nice change of pace to end it like that. Also I haven't checked the manga but read Mari appears in there, I don't mind her but I do feel she needs a lot of background because even if the movie hints a lot of it towards the end I just don't really know what's up with the her the majority of the time.
Yeah the Rebuild films are definitely more accessible than the main series. They present some of the same ideas in a more transparent and coherent ways (well except the third one that I need to rewatch now with the new context of the last film).

Regarding Mari, I suppose Anno wanted Shinji to have a fresh new start (a Neon Genesis indeed). Rei and Asuka represent the past, the possibilities that Shinji has had at life and that he eschews That said, Mari is a bit of sphinx. We really not know that much about her. She is in the manga at the end in a bonus chapter, and she's a bit of a mistery even there (she studied with Shinji's mum it's implied). But for someone as deliberate as Anno, I don't think he left her without a backstory without it being deliberate. There are many that even say that Mari represents his wife, Moyoco Anno.

Andersons Dietician

I just finished binge watching Black Clover and seem to have caught up to where it’s releasing. I need more as it’s just gotten to the main story arc part again. It really is quite good.

Watched Demon Slayer Mugen Train yesterday which was alright. Some beautiful animation but wasn't as good as the series, and after months of protesting I might as well go start Naruto. Been putting it off but here goes.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

:drool:

MattofManchester

Keeping up with Dragon Ball Super and I have really enjoyed reading Plunderer.

The anime of Plunderer is two full seasons of fan service, but the manga has a decent plot without it. The artwork for it is pretty damn good, as well.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Speaking of Evangelion, I've been watching Kare Kano recently, which is the anime Anno made just after the original series.

I wasn't expecting much because of the genre (romance) but it's sweet and lots of fun. Unsurprisingly Anno's I-novel reflective style shines through.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Watched and enjoyed Jojo's Bizarre Adventure recently. My ranking of the parts:

1. Battle Tendency
2. Phantom Blood
3. Golden Wind
4. Stardust Crusaders
5. Diamond is Unbreakable

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I'll have to check it out. On a whole, I wasn't crazy about the rebuilds, but I saw an interesting video about how they represent a commentary on the original audience of the show itself and I thought that idea was fascinating.

RoyH1

I'll have to check it out. On a whole, I wasn't crazy about the rebuilds, but I saw an interesting video about how they represent a commentary on the original audience of the show itself and I thought that idea was fascinating.
It is kind of a recurring them, yes, but I think Anno wraps it up in so much noise that too many miss that point. I think the rebuilds, specially 3.0+1.0 make it a lot clearer though, specially at the end.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
  • G'wan, Momo! :drool:
  • Kaido's backstory after the break, perhaps?
  • Yamato is ridiculously strong and lives up to the Son of Kaido shtick; dare I say it, more impressive as a pure combatant than any Supernova (minus Rubber Boy) or Yonko commander thus far. At this point, I'm kinda torn between her joining the crew (doubly so after Kaido's “you are alone” quip, power-scaling of Zoro and Sanji be damned) and emerging as the Whitebeard-esque friendly rival to Luffy's Roger (as in relative terms, neither Law nor Kid have looked up to the task of establishing themselves as mini-Yonkos in the entirety of the New World saga).
  • These panels are everything:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Yeah i'd rather Yamato play the whitebeard role at this point. Like you said they make Law and Kid feel not on Luffys level and he needs some real rivals for future arcs.