Television The Caf' Anime Thread

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
People who are still watching To Your Eternity, I can't be the only one who feels the show has a lot of its steam since Gugu arc ended ? The entire island arc has been really low quality in comparison to the previous few arcs. Only 3 episodes left, so a little bit shame I'm starting to feel it's going down hill. I hope the last few episodes are better.
I just finished it yesterday. The Jananda arc was sublimely charmless. As for the S1 finale ... at the risk of sounding distasteful, I was relieved to see the exploration of Alzheimer and dementia as we got to see a poignant death that wasn't directly linked to the Nokkers. Now that he's had the experience of losing his mother (March), brother (Gugu), grandma (Pioran), and friends (from the arc that shall not be named), surely the next way for him to suffer is to lose himself. Which brings me to my next point ...

In season 2, I wonder if we'll see Fushi transform into an inanimate object for a sustained period of time. Both times he transformed into one (I believe it was a rock, and a pear) the demon figure changed him back by force. External invention as the manifestation of an object removes the protagonists consciousness, and therefore problematic as he wouldn't be able to detect Nokkers. I don't know if you're familiar with the phrase many people die at 25 but aren't buried until 75. But I can see this line of thinking positioning Fushi to make the conscious decision to be unconscious, as obviously he can't die. There's a lot the author could do with that, and it wouldn't be too far removed from the finale. Most likely not though.

To come back full circle. You mentioned the Gugu arc. When he died, my expectations of the show shifted. There's only so many times the audience can be lulled into a false sense of security. If the series was an anime original, I think his death would've been a great way to end Season 1, especially if they left the audience on a disequilibrium by not revealing S2 until a later date. Good show, but looking at the series from strictly a emotional/wtf aspect, I think its a long way of Now and then. Here and then, Your lie in April. and Bokurano.

el3mel

I just finished it yesterday. The Jananda arc was sublimely charmless. As for the S1 finale ... at the risk of sounding distasteful, I was relieved to see the exploration of Alzheimer and dementia as we got to see a poignant death that wasn't directly linked to the Nokkers. Now that he's had the experience of losing his mother (March), brother (Gugu), grandma (Pioran), and friends (from the arc that shall not be named), surely the next way for him to suffer is to lose himself. Which brings me to my next point ...

In season 2, I wonder if we'll see Fushi transform into an inanimate object for a sustained period of time. Both times he transformed into one (I believe it was a rock, and a pear) the demon figure changed him back by force. External invention as the manifestation of an object removes the protagonists consciousness, and therefore problematic as he wouldn't be able to detect Nokkers. I don't know if you're familiar with the phrase many people die at 25 but aren't buried until 75. But I can see this line of thinking positioning Fushi to make the conscious decision to be unconscious, as obviously he can't die. There's a lot the author could do with that, and it wouldn't be too far removed from the finale. Most likely not though.

To come back full circle. You mentioned the Gugu arc. When he died, my expectations of the show shifted. There's only so many times the audience can be lulled into a false sense of security. If the series was an anime original, I think his death would've been a great way to end Season 1, especially if they left the audience on a disequilibrium by not revealing S2 until a later date. Good show, but looking at the series from strictly a emotional/wtf aspect, I think its a long way of Now and then. Here and then, Your lie in April. and Bokurano.
I liked the final episode, but yeah, my opinion on the last arc didn't change, that was really underwhelming and felt it brought the series down massively.

Will still watch 2nd season, though I hope the next part answers some of the questions regarding the state of this world, the main character and the villains, because I felt the season ended without exploring any mysteries.

I don't think it's supposed to be an emotional/drama show that surprises you with WTF deaths or evoke tears. It's actually closer to being a Shounen. The problem is, the first few arcs created well written characters that I cared about, then last arc came and it was really bland, dull, the new characters were boring, and the setting was uninteresting. The story was also bad. The zombies were ridiculous and the villain kinda made no sense at all, and the conclusion was rushed.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Anime recommendation - Heike Monogotari (The Heike Story)

Just watched episode 1. WOW. Huge potential! :keano:

Its very much a blind watch for me. I was watching One Piece 729, and as I was skipping the preview, I saw "aired 10 minutes ago" on the suggestions. I have no intentions of watching the trailer, but for normal folks here you go

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
  • Shanks ✔
  • Newgate ✔
  • Roger ✔
  • Linlin ✔
  • Kaido ✔
  • Luffy ✔

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Attack on Titan is back.
Back on Titan.

Annoyingly I started the show with English dubs which I regret because I know the character's voices now, but the dub won't be here til Feb so I'm just going to watch the Japanese version with subtitles and get used to it.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Back on Titan.

Annoyingly I started the show with English dubs which I regret because I know the character's voices now, but the dub won't be here til Feb so I'm just going to watch the Japanese version with subtitles and get used to it.
Usually not arsed about subs/dubs but the sub is way better. Everyone just sounds a bit too squeaky-voiced in the dub version for me.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Usually not arsed about subs/dubs but the sub is way better. Everyone just sounds a bit too squeaky-voiced in the dub version for me.
Yeah Eren's voice drove me mad.

As for Ep 17:

Gutted Levi is actually dead, and in such a crap way. I kind of got confused with the story since they introduced Marley and Eldians. I forget completely who Yelena is and why she's running things.

I'm guessing Armin will become the Colossus Titan and help out? Or were they talking about starting the Rumbling? That's basically activating all the Titans in the walls right? And Eren can control them because he's the founder. I forget how Eren even made this plan with Zeke and who is on what side these days.

AaronRedDevil

I can't possibly watch this weekly. The wait will kill me. I'm too hyped for this show. So I'm going to wait till March to watch it.

Sanche7

This season of AOT has been so so good. I haven't watched many Anime shows, but this one has to be right up there with the best ever. Absolutely brilliant stuff.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I've avoided anime for ages cause of weeb culture but decided to stick on Spirited Away last night and it was beautiful. I love the game Ni no Kuni too so any other movies/shows in the same format would be a welcome recommendation, cheers.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
The weeb subculture represents a tiny fraction of anime watchers world-wide, and ritualistic participation is not mandatory by any means; foregoing the entire medium because of 'em seems rather drastic!
decided to stick on Spirited Away last night and it was beautiful. I love the game Ni no Kuni too so any other movies/shows in the same format would be a welcome recommendation, cheers.
Maybe check out the rest of Miyazaki, Takahata and Studio Ghibli's works?
And these, from Shinkai, Hosoda and Katabuchi:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The weeb subculture represents a tiny fraction of anime watchers world-wide, and ritualistic participation is not mandatory by any means; foregoing the entire medium because of 'em seems rather drastic!

Maybe check out the rest of Miyazaki, Takahata and Studio Ghibli's works?
And these, from Shinkai, Hosoda and Katabuchi:
Let's say in my late teens/early 20s I cared too much what certain 'friends' thought of me and now I don't really / haven't for a while and just getting round to anime as part of my list of things to check out. :D

Cheers for the list!

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Is this the long-promised awakening of the Gomu Gomu no Mi?

(ノ・д・)ノ

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I've avoided anime for ages cause of weeb culture but decided to stick on Spirited Away last night and it was beautiful. I love the game Ni no Kuni too so any other movies/shows in the same format would be a welcome recommendation, cheers.
Then try checking other movies from studio Ghibli, they're all pretty great productions with awesome animation and music.

AaronRedDevil

I avoided this thread till AOT was all done and I though AOT was all over till I found out there’s another season coming this time next year. I’m glad to hear that. No way they could have finished it this season. Just…Wow.

Well holy shit. What a season. I binged watched the last 11 episodes and I honestly did not see any of that coming. The flashbacks were mind blowing. What an insanely brilliant show this is. It was great seeing Conny being a badass and giving more of a story. Gabi is basicallly the female Erin. I loved it when the group bumped into Annie and they didn’t even care what happened with each other. I kinda hated Eren for talking to Mikasa like that but I get it now. Wants to wipe out everyone so no one will try and kill his Friends. Levi was a bit of an idiot standing that close to the rocket, that got him nearly killed. Guessing they are saving him up to use next season. It was weird seeing them all in normal clothes in the end, enjoying themselves. Except Eren of Course. Can’t take a break for 5 mins! Then those Collosal Titans, how in the feck are they gonna be stopped. Just walking nukes going through the city. Scary as hell. Also, they swim!? Eren looks terrifying now after Gabi blew his head clean fecking off. I simply can’t wait for the final final season. Also is Zeke even still alive?

Drainy

Rewatching Steins;Gate 0

Has there ever been a better overall story told in anime than the collection of:

Steins;Gate
Steins;Gate the movie
and Steins;Gate 0

lilcurt

Just finished season 1 of Re:Zero.

Really enjoyed it after I understood the direction of the story. Easy viewing and look forward to see where season two goes. Highly recommend.

I'm considering starting One Piece as a background show but it seems so daunting and I'd much prefer the dub to be released on crunchyroll for casual viewing

3KDré

I avoided this thread till AOT was all done and I though AOT was all over till I found out there’s another season coming this time next year. I’m glad to hear that. No way they could have finished it this season. Just…Wow.

Well holy shit. What a season. I binged watched the last 11 episodes and I honestly did not see any of that coming. The flashbacks were mind blowing. What an insanely brilliant show this is. It was great seeing Conny being a badass and giving more of a story. Gabi is basicallly the female Erin. I loved it when the group bumped into Annie and they didn’t even care what happened with each other. I kinda hated Eren for talking to Mikasa like that but I get it now. Wants to wipe out everyone so no one will try and kill his Friends. Levi was a bit of an idiot standing that close to the rocket, that got him nearly killed. Guessing they are saving him up to use next season. It was weird seeing them all in normal clothes in the end, enjoying themselves. Except Eren of Course. Can’t take a break for 5 mins! Then those Collosal Titans, how in the feck are they gonna be stopped. Just walking nukes going through the city. Scary as hell. Also, they swim!? Eren looks terrifying now after Gabi blew his head clean fecking off. I simply can’t wait for the final final season. Also is Zeke even still alive?
Zeke is still alive, yes. He has to be given that Eren needs to be in contact with him physically to use the Founding Titan's power. I assume he's up there in the nape with him somehow. Don't worry, I haven't read the manga so not spoiling anything for next season.

Art

Art the artist
Hope all the One piece fans caught episode 1015. That was one of the best pieces of media i've ever seen. fecking hell I was in tears. Roofpiece FTW!

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Your top 10 favourite anime in terms of overall plot?

Here's mine:
1. Attack on Titan
2. Hunter x Hunter
3. Gankutsou
4. Land of Lustrous
5. Your Lie in April
6. The Great Pretender
7. Now and then, here and then
8. Bokurano
9. Tokyo Revengers
10. Ping Pong the Animation

I'm talking strictly plot here, otherwise Naruto would be #1 as my username suggests. Blast of Tempest was on course to make my Top 5 in Season 1. Unfortunately, season 2 was essentially a different genre.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I don't watch much anymore, and certainly haven't seen an extensive range, but probably these.

1. Paranoia Agent
2. Tatami Galaxy
3. Utena
4. Evangelion
5. Serial Experiments Lain
6. Ping Pong
7. Ganktusuo (or whatever it's called, the Count of Monte Cristo adaptation)
8. Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
9. Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water
10. Super Dimension Fortress Macross

Some of the stories are disjointed but they're strong narratives overall

I've also heard very good things about Legend of the Galactic Heroes but can't vouch for it personally.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
1. Monster
2. Steins Gate
3. Neon Genesis Evangelion
4. Death Note
5. Legend of the Galactic Heroes
6. Attack on Titan
7. FMA B
8. Parasyte
9. Shiki
10. Cory in the house

Don't watch much anymore and a lot of these were watched a long time ago, so I might be misremembering how good the plot was. I struggled to get to 10 tbh. I love HxH but more for the world and power system rather than the plot, and I excluded shows like Bepop and Mushishi that were often episodic in nature.

Noticed the Monte Cristo one in both your lists and have never got round to watching it, something I will do eventually.

8. Bokurano
Read this years ago and had no idea they made an anime, gonna give it a go.

1. Paranoia Agent
I forgot about this, haven't seen most of the ones on your list but Paranoia Agent would be very high up on mine too

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Hajime No Ippo - its just too good.

Selbourne

Rewatching Steins;Gate 0

Has there ever been a better overall story told in anime than the collection of:

Steins;Gate
Steins;Gate the movie
and Steins;Gate 0
Just rewatched it all and have to agree. What a masterpiece

Ibi Dreams

I don't watch much anymore, and certainly haven't seen an extensive range, but probably these.

1. Paranoia Agent
2. Tatami Galaxy
3. Utena
4. Evangelion
5. Serial Experiments Lain
6. Ping Pong
7. Ganktusuo (or whatever it's called, the Count of Monte Cristo adaptation)
8. Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
9. Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water
10. Super Dimension Fortress Macross

Some of the stories are disjointed but they're strong narratives overall

I've also heard very good things about Legend of the Galactic Heroes but can't vouch for it personally.
Good list! A couple I haven't seen but mine would be similar. I would add Monster, Kaiba, Madoka Magica and Fantastic Children