Television The Caf' Anime Thread

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Excluding the ones that have already been mentioned (good to see overlooked gems like Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Land of the Lustrous in there :drool:), I would probably go with...
  1. From the New World
  2. Meitantei Konan
  3. Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199
  4. Baccano!
  5. Haibane Renmei
  6. Odd Taxi
  7. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
  8. Rose of Versailles
  9. Planetes
  10. Tantei Gakuen Q
There were some that got off to a rollicking start but the plot didn't keep me engaged throughout (Boku dake ga Inai Machi, Death Note, Fumetsu no Anata e, The Promised Neverland) so they're off the list.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I don't watch much anymore, and certainly haven't seen an extensive range, but probably these.

1. Paranoia Agent
2. Tatami Galaxy
3. Utena
4. Evangelion
5. Serial Experiments Lain
6. Ping Pong
7. Ganktusuo (or whatever it's called, the Count of Monte Cristo adaptation)
8. Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
9. Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water
10. Super Dimension Fortress Macross

Some of the stories are disjointed but they're strong narratives overall

I've also heard very good things about Legend of the Galactic Heroes but can't vouch for it personally.
We have similar taste. Land of Lustrous is a must in that case. You share two of my #10 and three others are in my to watch list. Considering you like Utena, and Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, I'd give Heike Monogotari, Kaiba, and Katanagatari a chance.
Don't watch much anymore and a lot of these were watched a long time ago, so I might be misremembering how good the plot was. I struggled to get to 10 tbh. I love HxH but more for the world and power system rather than the plot, and I excluded shows like Bepop and Mushishi that were often episodic in nature.

Noticed the Monte Cristo one in both your lists and have never got round to watching it, something I will do eventually.

Read this years ago and had no idea they made an anime, gonna give it a go.
Yeah, HxH definitely has the best power system in Shounen. Starts from Jo Jo Bizarre being a distant second. Since you enjoyed reading Bokurano, I would recommend Noein
@Cascarino Monster is another I've heard a lot of good things about
Whilst I haven't seen Mushishi yet, there's a highly rated sinister episodic series called Aoi Bungaku.

I've heard a lot of good things about:

Battle Shounen - Full Metal Alchemist, Gintama
Shounen - Norogami, Claymore
Spectacle Action - Durarara, Hellsing, Angel Beats, Psycho Pass, Ghost in Shell, 91 Days
Drama - Monster, Tokyo Magnitude, Nana,
Romance - Clannad, Horimiya, After the Rain, karakai-jozu-no-takagi-san
Fantasy - Mononoke
Isekai -Gate, Bokurano, RE:Zero
Sci-Fi - Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Future Boy Conan, Knights of Sidonia, Texhnolyze, Wolf Rain
Mecha - Code Geass, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Pscychological - Stein Gate, Death Parade, Future Diary, Casshern_Sins
Slice of Life - Natsume Yuujinchou, Usagi Drop, Mushishi, Great Teacher
Japanese Culture - Showa Genrouku, Chihayafuru
Stellar Animation -
Unique - Made in Abyss
Mystery - Moriarty the Patriot, Darker than Black
Thriller - Phantom Requiem,
Dementia - Serial Experiments, Paranoia Agent, FLCL

Kaguya Sama just finished season 3 and has been consistently one of the funniest anime I've watched.
That's some praise! My funniest anime series would be Kaguya Sama, Arakawa Under the Bridge, Space Brothers, and Food Wars. I would put the Disastrous life of Saiki in a lower tier of those four mentioned. Biggest let down for me being The Way of the Househusband and Thermae Romae Novae. I thought my huge interest in classical civilization and Ancient Greek tragedy would be enough for the show to resonate with me, but beyond the trailer, I was bitterly disappointed.

Just started Spy x Family. It's brilliant! So much fun and wholesome!
I'm two episodes in, and not convinced of the hype yet. Maybe I need to se more episodes now that the Mum is involved. My favourite wholesome anime is A Place Further Than the Universe

Hajime No Ippo - its just too good.
How does it compare to Baki in your view? Haven't watched either myself.

Interesting shouts in Shiki, Fantastic Children, and Odd Taxi. Hadn't heard of them until now. I'll need to give them a shot after finishing maybe three of my to watch list shown above.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
We have similar taste. Land of Lustrous is a must in that case. You share two of my #10 and three others are in my to watch list. Considering you like Utena, and Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, I'd give Heike Monogotari, Kaiba, and Katanagatari a chance.

Yeah, HxH definitely has the best power system in Shounen. Starts from Jo Jo Bizarre being a distant second. Since you enjoyed reading Bokurano, I would recommend Noein

Whilst I haven't seen Mushishi yet, there's a highly rated sinister episodic series called Aoi Bungaku.

Spectacle Action - Durarara, Hellsing, Angel Beats, Psycho Pass, Ghost in Shell, 91 Days
Fantasy - Mononoke
Sci-Fi - Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Future Boy Conan, Knights of Sidonia, Texhnolyze, Wolf Rain
Stellar Animation -
Unique - Made in Abyss

That's some praise! My funniest anime series would be Kaguya Sama, Arakawa Under the Bridge, Space Brothers, and Food Wars. I would put the Disastrous life of Saiki in a lower tier of those four mentioned. Biggest let down for me being The Way of the Househusband and Thermae Romae Novae. I thought my huge interest in classical civilization and Ancient Greek tragedy would be enough for the show to resonate with me, but beyond the trailer, I was bitterly disappointed.

I'm two episodes in, and not convinced of the hype yet. Maybe I need to se more episodes now that the Mum is involved. My favourite wholesome anime is A Place Further Than the Universe

Interesting shouts in Shiki, Fantastic Children, and Odd Taxi. Hadn't heard of them until now. I'll need to give them a shot after finishing maybe three of my to watch list shown above.
Hajime no Ippo is much better than Baki.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Couple of things I'm worried about:

Netflix's live action One Piece. History speaks for itself...

Rumours that Disney are coming out with a live action Dragon Ball franchise. I can easily see them doing a Star Wars. Hiring people who know nothing about it, and then insulting the actual fans when they say this isn't it, chief.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Couple of things I'm worried about:

Rumours that Disney are coming out with a live action Dragon Ball franchise. I can easily see them doing a Star Wars. Hiring people who know nothing about it, and then insulting the actual fans when they say this isn't it, chief.
Oda is involved so I'm hoping it turns out well, but I just can't see it translating well to live action, I'll love it no matter what though.

Ibi Dreams

Nobody seems to have watched it except me :lol: it's a bit of a slow burn and some might not like the art style, but it's a quality mystery/fantasy/adventure story. Feels quite old fashioned in some ways, which in turn makes it feel quite unique

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
The world of One Piece is so fundamentally over-the-top, extravagant and cheesy (in a good way, obviously) that I don't think any live action adaptation could do justice to it — regardless of the principal elements of the show, the overall budget, or choice of actors, screen-writers and directors. It's just a different kettle of fish to relatively realistic ones like Cowboy Bebop or Death Note (which were absolutely butchered by the creators). This Netflix thing looks like an opportunistic cash-grab, I'm afraid.

Also, the co-executive producer and co-showrunner, Steven Maeda, seems a bit eccentric — and would do well to keep his political interpretations to himself. If he wants to make some sort of allegorical commentary, maybe he should lean on the existing lore (instead of ham-fisting things from real life that aren't relevant to One Piece (an escapist fantasy, first and foremost)).

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
The world of One Piece is so fundamentally over-the-top, extravagant and cheesy (in a good way, obviously) that I don't think any live action adaptation could do justice to it — regardless of the principal elements of the show, the overall budget, or choice of actors, screen-writers and directors. It's just a different kettle of fish to relatively realistic ones like Cowboy Bebop or Death Note (which were absolutely butchered by the creators). This Netflix thing looks like an opportunistic cash-grab, I'm afraid.

Also, the co-executive producer and co-showrunner, Steven Maeda, seems a bit eccentric — and would do well to keep his political interpretations to himself. If he wants to make some sort of allegorical commentary, maybe he should lean on the existing lore (instead of ham-fisting things from real life that aren't relevant to One Piece (an escapist fantasy, first and foremost)).

I think you are taking his joke too seriously, that post is really not "eccentric"

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Solo levelling is a pretty decent manhwa that's now getting an anime adaptation.

Clearly, I enjoy it as this quote from 2020 suggests.

Manghwa
Completed - Girl of the Wild's (Underwhelming ending for me)

Indefinite hiatus (2 years and counting) - Black Haze

Currently reading :
3 stars - Empyrea, True Beauty, Freaking Romance, Mission Diversion
3.5 stars - DICE (would be 4 stars had it not declined in the past 7 months or so)

4 stars - SubZero, The Wrath & the Dawn, Purple Hyacinth, Unordinary, I Love Yoo, My Dear Cold Blooded King, Solo Leveling, Age Matters
4.5 stars - Black Haze
5 stars - Kubera, Lookism, Tower of God, Phantom Paradise
Now just need an anime adaptation of Unordinary, Purple Hyacinth, and I Love Yoo.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

Fantasy - Mononoke
Stellar Animation -
Unique - Made in Abyss

As @syrian_scholes said it's much better.

But it's a different type of anime, if you're into boxing you will love it even more. I think even non boxing fans would really enjoy it too.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Red-Haired Shanks and Flame Emperor Sabo, at long last!
:drool:

PedroMendez

Acolyte
The best, most rewarding and mostly intricately conceptualized manga/anime of them all, methinks — with a fictional universe that can be compared to Tolkien's legendarium or The Wheel of Time in terms of the scope (and scores higher than either on the uniqueness scale). Not for nothing is it now the 2nd highest selling comic of all time after only Superman. But you will have to be patient and forgiving with it at first go; unlike Shingeki no Kyoujin (which is set in a tiny little world and engages your senses with the very first episode), One Piece is deliberately meandering and takes a while to get off the ground as you're exploring a much grander verse with a million different building blocks, has a peculiar art-style and can be tough to take if you don't appreciate its innate sense of romance and absurdism.

Though when it does gather stream, it only gets better and better...and at practically every level too (be it characterization or world-building or story-telling); by far the greatest example of a long-running shōnen manga/anime maintaining a consistently excellent standard to go with endless mystery and intrigue and foreshadowing — instead of stagnating or falling by the wayside like Naruto, Bleach or Dragon Ball. I could honestly argue that right now (after 1019 chapters and 983 episodes over 2½ decades) is the best point in the entire series, and things will get exponentially better as there are so many adventures to be had and so much stuff that needs to be resolved.

Getting into it at this point will be quite challenging given the sheer ever-growing scale of the enterprise — no doubt about that; but if you decide to stick with it, this is a neat tool for tightening things up: One Piece Filler List. BON VOYAGE!
I accidentally started watching it at some time ago despite not being super into the genre. At the beginning it was more a distraction, that was running the the background or filled time, but it has a way to pull you in. The longer it goes the better it gets. I am a long way off from the new releases, I a know for sure that I will catch up. The way it constructs the long-term narrative is absolutely spectacular. Effortlessly the creator managed to combine smaller stories into arcs and these arcs into the story of a world. Its brilliant and I start to understand what you mean when you wrote this post. I am very glad, that this seems to continue for at least another 500ish or so episodes.

Short question: While I followed the series, I didn't bother with anything else (e.g. movies; ). Without any content spoilers, is it worth watching them?

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Short question: While I followed the series, I didn't bother with anything else (e.g. movies; ). Without any content spoilers, is it worth watching them?
I'm sorry but I can't help you, mate; haven't seen the myriad One Piece movies as they're not strictly canon. :)

Though for where you are in the anime (500 episodes = Sabaody Archipelago arc), these movies should be “safe” to watch...
  1. Post Orange Town arc: One Piece, The Movie
  2. Post Reverse Mountain arc: Clockwork Island Adventure
  3. Post Drum Island arc: Kingdom on the Island of Strange Animals
  4. Post Alabasta arc: Dead End no Bouken
  5. Post Jaya arc: The Cursed Holy Sword
  6. Post Skypiea arc: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island
  7. Post Water 7 arc: The Giant Mecha Soldier of Karakuri Castle
  8. Post Enies Lobby arc: The Desert Princess and the Pirates
  9. Pre Thriller Bark arc: Bloom in the Winter, Miracle Cherry Blossom
  10. Post Amazon Lily arc: Strong World

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I'm sorry but I can't help you, mate; haven't seen the myriad One Piece movies as they're not strictly canon. :)

Though for where you are in the anime (500 episodes = Sabaody Archipelago arc), these movies should be “safe” to watch...
  1. Post Orange Town arc: One Piece, The Movie
  2. Post Reverse Mountain arc: Clockwork Island Adventure
  3. Post Drum Island arc: Kingdom on the Island of Strange Animals
  4. Post Alabasta arc: Dead End no Bouken
  5. Post Jaya arc: The Cursed Holy Sword
  6. Post Skypiea arc: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island
  7. Post Water 7 arc: The Giant Mecha Soldier of Karakuri Castle
  8. Post Enies Lobby arc: The Desert Princess and the Pirates
  9. Pre Thriller Bark arc: Bloom in the Winter, Miracle Cherry Blossom
  10. Post Amazon Lily arc: Strong World
thanks. I don't think I am going to bother for now considering that there is a gigantic mountain of episodes left. I also already skipped all the episodes with alternative settings. I thought that they might get reverenced at one point in the series, but that doesn't really seem to be the case.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Miles Morales was so much fun.

On the other hand I gave The Surge a go and that was incredibly disappointing. Felt like a cheap knock off rather than a good addition to the genre. The combat is actually good but the game is poorly designed and put together.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Miles Morales was so much fun.

On the other hand I gave The Surge a go and that was incredibly disappointing. Felt like a cheap knock off rather than a good addition to the genre. The combat is actually good but the game is poorly designed and put together.
Sir, this is the anime thread.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
:drool:

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Currently reading :
3 stars - Empyrea, True Beauty, Freaking Romance, Mission Diversion
3.5 stars - DICE (would be 4 stars had it not declined in the past 7 months or so)

4 stars - SubZero, The Wrath & the Dawn, Purple Hyacinth, Unordinary, I Love Yoo, My Dear Cold Blooded King, Solo Leveling, Age Matters
4.5 stars - Black Haze
5 stars - Kubera, Lookism, Tower of God, Phantom Paradise
Can't believe it, they're making an anime series of one of the top three manghwa's I've experienced.

AaronRedDevil

It really sucks I watch 3 of the best anime shows (Death Note, FMA, AOT) out there and now everything after them isn't nearly as good. I've been burning through a good few on Netflix but the stories don't grab me. Black lagoon was pretty good though. Assassination classroom was fun aswel. I miss Highschool of the dead, that was amazing. Maybe some proper 18s rated bloody anime would be good but I can't find any.

MattofManchester

Anyone watch Spy X Family or the new Gundam series?
Thoughts?

Last thing I watched was season 2 of Demon Slayer and Weathering With You so it's been a while. These are the two I'm considering.

RoyH1

Anyone watch Spy X Family or the new Gundam series?
Thoughts?

Last thing I watched was season 2 of Demon Slayer and Weathering With You so it's been a while. These are the two I'm considering.
[/QUOTSpy X Family is a ton of fun and real good production values. I've only seen a couple of episodes of the new Gundam show and it's good not great. Doesn't feel like a Gundam, reminds me more of Revolutionary Girl Utena to be honest.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
It really sucks I watch 3 of the best anime shows (Death Note, FMA, AOT) out there and now everything after them isn't nearly as good. I've been burning through a good few on Netflix but the stories don't grab me. Black lagoon was pretty good though. Assassination classroom was fun aswel. I miss Highschool of the dead, that was amazing. Maybe some proper 18s rated bloody anime would be good but I can't find any.
Watch Cyberpunk: Edgerunners, it's a short anime (10 episodes) and it has been considered one of the best animes of the year. Personally it's the best anime I've watched in quite a while and it's nothing short of brilliant.

AaronRedDevil

Watch Cyberpunk: Edgerunners, it's a short anime (10 episodes) and it has been considered one of the best animes of the year. Personally it's the best anime I've watched in quite a while and it's nothing short of brilliant.
Finished it last week . Brilliant show

Drainy

The best thing about the Cyberpunk anime is that it has little of the embarrassing shit that stops you from recommending anime to friends.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
The best thing about the Cyberpunk anime is that it has little of the embarrassing shit that stops you from recommending anime to friends.
I read something about someone being against the inclusion of the character Rebecca. Apparently they thought she didn't fit in the Cyberpunk franchise but the studio in charge of the anime were very firm about her inclusion.

Maybe they thought a loli girl wouldn't go with the theme of the anime and the world but I really liked her character an her role in the anime so I'm really glad they didn't remove her. Overall I liked everything and is one of those animes I would recommend to people in general and not just anime fans.

hobbers

I read something about someone being against the inclusion of the character Rebecca. Apparently they thought she didn't fit in the Cyberpunk franchise but the studio in charge of the anime were very firm about her inclusion.
Whoever it was who wanted her removed clearly lacks any understanding of the world of cyberpunk.

RoyH1

Maybe they thought a loli girl wouldn't go with the theme of the anime and the world but I really liked her character an her role in the anime so I'm really glad they didn't remove her. Overall I liked everything and is one of those animes I would recommend to people in general and not just anime fans.
Yeah, it's one of those anime that has crossover appeal. Really well made accross the board with beautiful visuals, great soundtrack and works well also in the dub (I'm a big fan of japanese voice acting).
And I cannot help but laughing at the thought of the Studio Trigger guys insisting on Rebecca being included. They're such otaku's those guys. I can already hear them: "no loli, no show"