Television The Caf' Anime Thread

James_42

Have a look at ‘major’ and some golden oldies from Misturu Adachi like ‘touch’ or ‘h2’ or his newer works ‘cross game’ and ‘mix’ as well.
I was planning on starting Major soon, I'll also check out the rest. Cheers

el3mel

I have been watching Violet Evergarden recently and wow! This is what I call real art, from every single perspective.

el3mel

It is beautiful but the storyline could be better
I watched first 7 episodes and so far it seems more episodic in nature, but each episode provides a pretty good emotional story that I get attached to qucikly. Another good thing that each episode feels pretty well packed with events that I always feel it is much longer than what it actually is.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Have a look at ‘major’ and some golden oldies from Misturu Adachi like ‘touch’ or ‘h2’ or his newer works ‘cross game’ and ‘mix’ as well.
Having seen all of those, Cross Game is my favorite, but H2 probably has the best story and ending, sad that the anime only covers 1/3rd of the manga.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
That last panel / homage to Sabaody, soo good! At sea = perfect location for Jinbei's dramatic reappearance in the near future?

P.S. I knew it was you, Kanjuro (with your shiftiness and misleadingly grotesque paintings). You broke my heart.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Indeed it effin is! With a bang.
What an awesome chapter, the extra panel bt the translator explaining
hints that Kanjuro Kurozumi was made by Oda since ink is zumi in Japanese and kuro is black Kurozumi=black ink which is related to his ability blew my mind tbh.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
That last panel / homage to Sabaody, soo good! At sea = perfect location for Jinbei's dramatic reappearance in the near future?

P.S. I knew it was you, Kanjuro (with your shiftiness and misleadingly grotesque paintings). You broke my heart.
gave me chills! Now I sure those 3 will take down Kaido together.

Web of Bissaka

Shouldn't that be in caf manga thread?

Cool last panel - giving the story and readers hope.

Hope the anime will give the scene justice.

el3mel

Decided to bang watch My Hero Academia as I was delaying it for a long time and I have nothing else to do. Have only 2 episodes left to watch in first season. It's a very fun watch but that's it so far? Pretty much all typical Shounen cliches are present here, and the fights aren't that "flashy" in this first season to justify it like Demon Slayer. I will probably rate this first season a 7 on MAL once I'm done with it. Maybe it got its own identity in the next seasons.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Tomorrow marks the debut of a heavyweight, and early contender for best anime of 2020. Really hope they do Tower of God justice.
Looking forward to Endorsi and Anaak, not pleased with their impact later on in the series.
Jujutsu Kaisen will almost certainly be a contender too. As far as anime which aren't standalone, the final season of AOT, and Kaguya sama love of war S2 will surely be a statement. I thought it would be hard (it wasn't) than it was to find a good anime with romance as the focus. Kaguya Sama has been a pleasant surprise albeit less than half way through season 1.

el3mel

Decided to bang watch My Hero Academia as I was delaying it for a long time and I have nothing else to do. Have only 2 episodes left to watch in first season. It's a very fun watch but that's it so far? Pretty much all typical Shounen cliches are present here, and the fights aren't that "flashy" in this first season to justify it like Demon Slayer. I will probably rate this first season a 7 on MAL once I'm done with it. Maybe it got its own identity in the next seasons.
I will have to say it did improved a lot starting from second season. I'm about to finish 3rd season but the second had the most quality out of them. Still a very typical Shonen, but the characters started to get more development and became more interesting to follow, alongside some very good flashy animation.

I rated the first season 7, the second one 9 and I will give the third 8.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Inuyashiki is a good anime in its own right, but its also topical with the corona virus situation. I started it on 24th March, and finished on the 25th. I don't know of an anime with an older protagonist ... imagine Master Roshi/Yamamoto/ Sarutobi/Rayleigh/Netero as a protagonist

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
The new season premiers in two days. It ranks no.1 as the funniest anime I've watched, with Arakawa-under-the-Bridge thus far (around 8 episodes in) and One Punch Man close behind. Still on episode 2 for The Disastrous Life of Saiki but if the episodes are as funny as the pilot then it'll be up there for sure.

Once I've finished Saiki, I plan to pick one of the following to meet the genre of "parody/comedy" in my anime rotation:
Hinamatsuri
Keep-your-hands-off-eizouken
Ghost STORIES
180-daily-lives-of-high-school-boys
zumanga Daioh
Excel Saga
Asobi asobase
Great-teacher-onizuka
Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Owarimonogatari

Going by the thumbnail alone, Eizouken seems interesting

Stacks

I have been delaying for ages. The environment reminds me a bit too much of one punch man but for kids. I have struggled to get through the 1st 4 episodes. Decided to watch Tokyo Ghoul instead. Will now try HunterXHunter, finish attack on Titan THEN go back to My Hero

el3mel

I have been delaying for ages. The environment reminds me a bit too much of one punch man but for kids. I have struggled to get through the 1st 4 episodes. Decided to watch Tokyo Ghoul instead. Will now try HunterXHunter, finish attack on Titan THEN go back to My Hero
It's nothing new but it actually ends up improving A LOT in second and third season. Nothing groundbreaking, but still a very fun watch if you want to pass time.

Good luck with HxH and AOT though. Both are my favorite Shounen, followed by FMAB.

Stacks

It's nothing new but it actually ends up improving A LOT in second and third season. Nothing groundbreaking, but still a very fun watch if you want to pass time.

Good luck with HxH and AOT though. Both are my favorite Shounen, followed by FMAB.
What's FMAB? I hear Jojo's is good too

el3mel

What's FMAB? I hear Jojo's is good too
Full metal alchemist Brotherhood. It's great but endure the start. It starts poorly but catches up fast later on and becomes a great watch. I rated it 9 on MAL. Rated HxH 10 and AOT seasons a mix of 9s and 10s.

Didn't watch Jojo, but I'm planning to watch it whenever I have enough time and patience to burn as I heard it's a slow burner at the start or something like that.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Would recommend En'en no Shouboutai if you liked Tokyo Ghoul (or any dark-ish fantasy shōnen of that sort). Limited world building but quick-paced, with a likable cast, decent battles and visual/sound-effects that are among the best in the business. Same writer as Soul Eater — which was also quite enjoyable!

https://myanimelist.net/anime/38671/Enen_no_Shouboutai

Stacks

Would recommend En'en no Shouboutai if you liked Tokyo Ghoul (or any dark-ish fantasy shōnen of that sort). Limited world building but quick-paced, with a likable cast, decent battles and visual/sound-effects that are among the best in the business. Same writer as Soul Eater — which was also quite enjoyable!

https://myanimelist.net/anime/38671/Enen_no_Shouboutai
Tokyo Ghoul season one was good but they Root A (season 2)....... my god that was literally the stupidest thing I have ever seen in my life. Literally made no sense. Story writing of a 10 year old.

Cloud7

Finally started demon slayer, really enjoying it thus far. After seeing that Ufotable are the studio that made it I’m not surprised that it’s good stuff.

Andersons Dietician

Tokyo Ghoul season one was good but they Root A (season 2)....... my god that was literally the stupidest thing I have ever seen in my life. Literally made no sense. Story writing of a 10 year old.
Yeah I watched this recently on Netflix and first season was great but bits in the 2nd season just seemed weird. I see there are another 2 or 3 spin offs of it. Might give them a go.

I recently watched Akame ga kill and thought it was excellent.

AaronRedDevil

Need a good story Kinda anime, haven't watched one in ages. I've seen death note, full metal Alchemist, tokyo ghoul and the best Attack on titan. Seen seven deadly sin, first season was good. Cant get into my hero academia.

Stacks

Yeah I watched this recently on Netflix and first season was great but bits in the 2nd season just seemed weird. I see there are another 2 or 3 spin offs of it. Might give them a go.

I recently watched Akame ga kill and thought it was excellent.
apparently in season 2 or root A they went a different direction from the manga, then at the end of the season tried to rejoin the manga arc so it didn't really make sense and many characters had not been built up so their fights were meaningless

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Need a good story Kinda anime, haven't watched one in ages. I've seen death note, full metal Alchemist, tokyo ghoul and the best Attack on titan. Seen seven deadly sin, first season was good. Cant get into my hero academia.
Based off of what you seen so far, I'd suggest...

If you don't mind longer anime, maybe try Hunter X Hunter or One Piece or Legend of the Galactic Heroes. If you don't mind reading, maybe try Berserk, Tower of God or even Monster.

AaronRedDevil

Based off of what you seen so far, I'd suggest...

If you don't mind longer anime, maybe try Hunter X Hunter or One Piece or Legend of the Galactic Heroes. If you don't mind reading, maybe try Berserk, Tower of God or even Monster.
Cool I’ll check them out. Thanks man

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Surprised I didn't come across this earlier

So I'm guessing mid January perhaps
After over a year since the previous episode, new episodes have finally been released. Must say, I've enjoyed the beginning of this Punk Hazard saga .. watched all 12 episodes at once
That fight between Law and Smoker was awesome. Law's ability is unreal, can't tell if he's somebody to be trusted yet. He has saved Luffy twice up to this point, but surely he didn't offer hundreds of hearts to the navy to become a warlord. Maybe he saved Luffy with the intention that he'll owe him big time . Interesting that Smoker mentioned his assistant has haki, as I don't think the author has made it clear up to this point that either of Zoro or Sanji can do haki.

Edit - Forget to mention that I'm loving the implications of the Akainu vs Aokiji battle. I can't wait to see which allies Aokiji has alligned himself with.

Last edited:

roseguy64

I'd advise anyone watching MHA to watch at least until the end of the first season. If you don't like it after that then it's not for you. it gets better but it's also still similar.

Also, started Hunter x Hunter this week. It's been nice so far. Episode 30.

hubbuh

Has anyone watched Serial Experiments Lain? Very 90s, trippy anime. Caught my boo watching the first couple of episodes and thought it looked interesting.

Silas

Finally got around to watching Perfect Blue. Thought it was pretty good, but definitely need to come back to it soon for an 'implicit' watch to fully appreciate it.
I'd advise anyone watching MHA to watch at least until the end of the first season. If you don't like it after that then it's not for you. it gets better but it's also still similar.

Also, started Hunter x Hunter this week. It's been nice so far. Episode 30.
If it's the 2011 version you're watching, I'd definitely recommend watching the first episode of the 1999 version if you can spare an extra 20 mins. Adds something pretty important that the newer version skips for some reason.

roseguy64

If it's the 2011 version you're watching, I'd definitely recommend watching the first episode of the 1999 version if you can spare an extra 20 mins. Adds something pretty important that the newer version skips for some reason.
Okay will do.

Cloud7

Just finished Demon Slayer. That was good stuff. The animation in the fights is really nice, and the soundtracks they use are great. Any official word on a season 2?

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Just finished Demon Slayer. That was good stuff. The animation in the fights is really nice, and the soundtracks they use are great. Any official word on a season 2?
Season 2 will be released after the Mugen Train movie as it is based on the next arc (and might get delayed beyond the original October schedule because of COVID-19)...

All things considered reading the manga makes a ton of sense because...
...we're currently in the last arc, and only some loose ends have to be tied up. The anime will take years to catch up and reach this point (needs to cover roughly 180 chapters and the average thus far is 2 chapters = 1 episode), so it's a no-brainer for impatient ones (like me). :lol:

Cloud7

Season 2 will be released after the Mugen Train movie as it is based on the next arc (and might get delayed beyond the original October schedule because of COVID-19)...

All things considered reading the manga makes a ton of sense because...
...we're currently in the last arc, and only some loose ends have to be tied up. The anime will take years to catch up and reach this point (needs to cover roughly 180 chapters and the average thus far is 2 chapters = 1 episode), so it's a no-brainer for impatient ones (like me). :lol:
Thanks for the update mate. Honestly, reading manga doesn’t appeal to me at all. Beyond knowing what happens next, I feel like there’s so much missing. It’s probably like 20% of the total experience for me. I’m accustomed to waiting, so I’ll survive :lol:

el3mel

I watched Weathering With You two days ago. Good movie but not really as good as Your Name. Couldn't really relate to the characters or story as much as Your Name.

Last edited: