Television The Caf' Anime Thread

Kazi

Oh man I still need to watch Weathering With You.

Realised the other day that Kimi no Na wa is now on Netflix so I had to rewatch - what a film

Also realised that there is a third season of Chihayafuru that was released at the end of last year!! That’s me sorted for the next week or so.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Chapter 981! :drool:

Did Luffy predict this turn of events with the Baka Song (and kenbunshoku haki)?

The islands in the south (Wano) are warm...
And their heads get really hot...
They grow-a pineapples...
They grow-a coconuts...
And they're all idiots!

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Dunno if any of you have read the manga or watched the original anime but Shaman King is being rebooted for 2021, typical-ish shōnen but brings back fond memories! :drool:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Dunno if any of you have read the manga or watched the original anime but Shaman King is being rebooted for 2021, typical-ish shōnen but brings back fond memories! :drool:

Hope it does well. Loved the shaman king rpgs. Tried the old anime but couldn't get properly into it.

Yamato the latest nakama? (ノ^∇^)ノ゚

Maybe he and Katakuri will be the leaders of the reformed Beast / Big Mom pirates, and allied to Pirate King Luffy for the final apocalyptic war.

P.S. Wonder if Yamato is based on Yamato-takeru aka Prince Ōsu from Japanese folklore...

https://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/72/japanese-fairy-tales/4852/the-story-of-prince-yamato-take/
I doubt Yamato will become a new straw hat.
It would be cool to have more powerhouses but I don't think they'll introduce a new powerful nakama in the same arc as Jinbe finally joined.

I do think there is a chance for further power ups for Zoro & Nami (prometheus) during this arc.

I suspect we'll see Kaido backstab big mom soon. :drool:

el3mel

Now that Tower of God is finally finished I think it's a good time to binge watch it and see what all the hype is about.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I doubt Yamato will become a new straw hat.
It would be cool to have more powerhouses but I don't think they'll introduce a new powerful nakama in the same arc as Jinbe finally joined.

I do think there is a chance for further power ups for Zoro & Nami (prometheus) during this arc.

I suspect we'll see Kaido backstab big mom soon. :drool:
Probably an unpopular opinion as many are attached to the current lot, but I've been rather disappointed with the progression of the Straw Hats since Thriller Bark (Brook was a decidedly mediocre addition in my opinion and you have only 1 newcomer since then...after ~500 freakin' episodes). Structurally, they don't fare well vs. Roger Pirates and especially the Rocks Pirates — which is a bit underwhelming as the Pirate King should intuitively have the most formidable crew of all time. Having powerful end-of-the-series allies and the grand fleet is well and good, but in an alternate reality I would have liked more meat within the core group. Maybe an elemental logia user, or...Law and Carrot in particular could have been very natural fits if they were written slightly differently and in terms of combat ability (or potential combat ability) they could have taken the Straw Hat Pirates close to the Roger Pirates.

* Note to self: quit concocting fanfics and alternate non-canon crews in your head ft. the aforementioned duo or Yamato or Bartolomeo! :lol:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Probably an unpopular opinion as many are attached to the current lot, but I've been rather disappointed with the progression of the Straw Hats since Thriller Bark (Brook was a decidedly mediocre addition in my opinion and you have only 1 newcomer since then...after ~500 freakin' episodes). Structurally, they don't fare well vs. Roger Pirates and especially the Rocks Pirates — which is a bit underwhelming as the Pirate King should intuitively have the most formidable crew of all time. Having powerful end-of-the-series allies and the grand fleet is well and good, but in an alternate reality I would have liked more meat within the core group. Maybe an elemental logia user, or...Law and Carrot in particular could have been very natural fits if they were written slightly differently and in terms of combat ability (or potential combat ability) they could have taken the Straw Hat Pirates close to the Roger Pirates.

* Note to self: quit concocting fanfics and alternate non-canon crews in your head ft. the aforementioned duo or Yamato or Bartolomeo! :lol:
I think Brook is mainly just comic relief balanced with a semi-decent fighter who can come with some experience. But he obviously isn't a needed member of the crew. But then, he's the crews musician so he shouldn't be all that important in my opinion. They spent a long time to get Jinbe in, but it's noticable how much Kid & Law thought it was absurd for someone of his statue join another supernova-crew. He's a big acquisition.

Carrot could have potential if she found a way to go into sulong form on command. Maybe Usopp could figure out a way? I think Law will die. But I do like his character and design, so it would be fun to see another supernova from the worst generation join up. But Law is also someone that they'd have to write out of the way so often to not create a plot-hole of "why not just use the op op powers".

I think Caesar could have been a good power to add to the group... If only he wasn't such a bad guy. :p
Another, more likeable one could be Sabo, if he is in need of rescuing.

If Nami gets Prometheus & Zeus as permanent upgrades then she will be a powerhouse beyond comparison to what she was before them, and she for sure could be seen as having reached her end-game powers and just being in need of some more experience.

I don't think their powerlevels are that bad overall. Luffy is on the border between yonko and yonko first mate in terms of power while the rest of the crew are catching up to their respective "yonko-positions" as well.
Even if we compare them to Roger pirates they don't look too bad, they ended up not fighting Big Mom head on for the poneglyph but rather sneaked in and out from what I remember.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Good points well made mate, guess I'm just a glass-half-empty grouch regarding Mugiwara no kaizoku-dan! :D

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
I started watching Attack on Titan a couple days ago and it’s made me wonder why I’ve never watched anime before. fecking phenomenal.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
I started watching Attack on Titan a couple days ago and it’s made me wonder why I’ve never watched anime before. fecking phenomenal.
Is it your first anime? How do you find the excessive philosophical monologues? I love AoT, but that part of it was a struggle for me early on.

Oh, and don't google anything about the show. Seriously, even if you just forgot a character's name or a detail in the plot, it's honestly better to rewatch a scene than to look that shit up online.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Given what you've said, I suspect you'l also enjoy an anime called "Vinland Saga". Are you watching it dubbed or subbed?

:keano:

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Chapter 984, didn't quite see that coming!

Interesting tidbit about Ace too, maybe he met Tama through Yamato on a Wano mini-adventure? Sure hope we get some sort of flashback in the future... :drool:

AaronRedDevil

One last season left of AOT. can't wait. It's going to be epic from what the trailer showed.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Chapter 984, didn't quite see that coming!

Interesting tidbit about Ace too, maybe he met Tama through Yamato on a Wano mini-adventure? Sure hope we get some sort of flashback in the future... :drool:
New strong Nakama?
To take it over the top, recruit the daughter of Kaido and son of Big Mom, Katakuri. :p

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
New strong Nakama?
To take it over the top, recruit the daughter of Kaido and son of Big Mom, Katakuri. :p
Yaaaaaas, preach!

Though while I love Katakuri as a character, his story is a bit too historically intertwined with the Big Mom Pirates for him to be a genuine Straw Hat (would consequently be more suited to a general allied role methinks).

Yamato on the other hand seems to make a lot of sense, particularly after this chapter's revelations...

• We have learned that she idolizes Oden, so maybe she will want to retrace his footsteps by sailing with the prospective Pirate King?
• There's already a sense of budding camaraderie between her and Luffy?
• Also seems kinda baka?
• The Ace factor?
• Maybe Oden's logbook contain specifics about the poneglyphs and she can guide the crew with Robin and Nami?
• The Zoan factor, if there is one?
• More of a pet peeve of mine: the Straw Hats have exactly 0 female brawlers/heavy-weights (Robin is a middling fighter in the New World), so she would fill a void?
• No strong allegiance to the Beast Pirates, in contrast with Katakuri-BMP, so she could become a dyed-in-the-wool nakama?

At least in terms of eliminating factors, the only major reasons for her not joining might be: she wants be become Momo'/Hiyori's retainer and reckons it's her duty to serve Wano (like Vivi in Alabasta), or she knows way too much about Laugh Tale because of Oden's logbook and doesn't want to play spoilsport in the ultimate adventure.

In fact, given her pedigree as the Strongest Creature's daughter, I'd be perfectly happy with no further combat-heavy additions as the Straw Hats would fare quite well vs. the Roger Pirates in mano a mano comparisons with her addition (narrative-wise and with regard to projected fortitude):

Luffy ~ Roger
Zoro ~ Rayleigh
Sanji ~ Gabban
Yamato ~ Oden
Jinbe + Robin ~ Inuarashi + Nekomamushi

The only remaining piece of the jigsaw, in my headcanon, would be a future yonko-tier apprentice, like cabin boy Shanks with Roger Pirates or Kaido with Rocks Pirates. Be poetic if it happens in Elbaf as that is rumored to be Shanks' arc! :drool:

Kazi

Chihayafuru is just so good, my second favourite sports anime after the GOAT Hajime no Ippo

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
Is it your first anime? How do you find the excessive philosophical monologues? I love AoT, but that part of it was a struggle for me early on.

Oh, and don't google anything about the show. Seriously, even if you just forgot a character's name or a detail in the plot, it's honestly better to rewatch a scene than to look that shit up online.
Yeah it is! I actually quite like them, it’s nice to get an in depth look at what a character is actually thinking and feeling at a given moment; even if there are times where I wish they’d stop talking in their head and just do something!

I’ve already made that mistake unfortunately hahaha. Had a fair few plot points of the final season spoiled already. Although to be honest it’s actually probably a good thing; it allows me to mentally prepare for what I’m going to be seeing on screen come autumn!

Given what you've said, I suspect you'l also enjoy an anime called "Vinland Saga". Are you watching it dubbed or subbed?
Nice one mate I’ll check that out at some point! Im watching it dubbed, given the choice between a decent dub and the subs I’d prefer to hear a dub. I actually think the dub cast do a good job in their performances all in all. Eren’s voice actor is the only one who I think is a bit hit and miss.

el3mel

This 4th season of My hero academia is really bang average and threw everything good about the last 2 seasons out of the window. It's like they didn't know what's the selling point of the show. I don't watch it for deep story or characters, I watched it for action, well animated scenes and interesting, creative quirks. This has nothing of it.

First 7 episodes were a chore to watch, then the next 5 - 6 episodes when things started to improve when fighting happened, they decided to add a shite ton of flashbacks that interrupt the action just to give the characters more depth. No character is going to become suddenly deep because of a flashback for 2 minutes. These flashbacks just fecked up the fluidity of the action scenes. I'm not against them but they were executed really poorly in this. Too many talking, too little action, and the talking isn't even that fun. I'm sorry but watching the same character struggling mentally TWICE in one arc for the same reason was stupid. First one was fine but second time?

And the least said about the second arc of the season, the better, a complete filler and just boring to watch.

Very shame. First season was mediocre but 2nd and 3rd were a great fun to watch for me. Not any deep or innovative, it was just like Demon Slayer, nothing new but great animations, fighting scenes and a very likeable cast. This last season they just tried way too hard to make something different, and it failed for me.

Last edited:

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
New strong Nakama?
as soon as it was revealed she is a female I thought this must be the new Nakama, the crew needs more females I believe, Yamato or Ulti would be great imo but of course Yamato would be best.

el3mel

Watched the first 4 episodes of Love is war first and it has been hilarious. I haven't laughed this much at an anime for a long time. I'm not into romantic comedy, but the comedy is really, really done well. Hope the rest of the season and the second are are of the same quality as what I watched so far.

Last edited:

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Rewatching this after quite a while, would definitely recommend to anyone who's into epic-fantasy/isekai anime with an emphasis on character-development and meticulous world-building...

Note: bit of a slow burner with bamboozling nomenclature so you'll have to power through the first half-dozen episodes and maybe take some notes, and the “finale” is disappointing/non-definitive as only 3-ish of the original manga novels were covered (from Shadow of the Moon, the Sea of Shadow to Sea God in the East, Vast Sea in the West).

★★★★ for me, but your mileage may vary! :)

Web of Bissaka

Jujutsu Kaisen, upcoming Oct 2020.

I recommend the manga. It's good, fighting focused but they do that HxH style. There are strategies involve and none of the BS Nakama power up rubbish. There are also plenty of characters that are just pure badasses. The story and plot is also very simple. Essentially it's unique. Maybe a nice warning -- it can be too gory.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Jujutsu Kaisen, upcoming Oct 2020.

I recommend the manga. It's good, fighting focused but they do that HxH style. There are strategies involve and none of the BS Nakama power up rubbish. There are also plenty of characters that are just pure badasses. The story and plot is also very simple. Essentially it's unique. Maybe a nice warning -- it can be too gory.
Thanks. I'll check it out a night I'm up for it. :D

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
One last season left of AOT. can't wait. It's going to be epic from what the trailer showed.
I'm not ready. I don't want it to finish :(

Nice one mate I’ll check that out at some point! Im watching it dubbed, given the choice between a decent dub and the subs I’d prefer to hear a dub. I actually think the dub cast do a good job in their performances all in all. Eren’s voice actor is the only one who I think is a bit hit and miss.
Ah. I'm in the minority that's a big fan of both. I hadn't actually heard the voices dubbed of AOT until reading your post, and after looking at a few YT clips, I have to agree with you on Eren's voice. Erwin's voice in dubbed is really well done. If you're new to anime, there's a good chance you aren't familiar with webtoons. Essentially digital comic with vertical format as opposed to reading from right to left like you would in manga. There is no page limitation so artists can be really creative in the artistic detail. Some Webtoons have motion images every now and again, and even sound for particular chapters.They're typically in colour, and of Korean origin.

Watched the first 4 episodes of Love is war first and it has been hilarious. I haven't loved this much at an anime for a long time. I'm not into romantic comedy, but the comedy is really, really done well. Hope the rest of the season and the second are are of the same quality as what I watched so far.
One segment in episode 11 is my favorite in the series. I'm on Season 2 episode 8 and there's noticeably a greater range of characters. It's definitely the funniest anime I've watched

el3mel

One segment in episode 11 is my favorite in the series. I'm on Season 2 episode 8 and there's noticeably a greater range of characters. It's definitely the funniest anime I've watched
I will probably bang on the 2 seasons in the upcoming week. Watching 4 episodes a day. It's a big relief and just knows how to make me laugh.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I will probably bang on the 2 seasons in the upcoming week. Watching 4 episodes a day. It's a big relief and just knows how to make me laugh.
I'd also recommend Arakawa Under the Bridge once you've finished season 2.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
10 episodes in, and Kemono no souja Erin (same writer as Seirei no Moribito) turned out to be surprisingly good. Probably the comfiest and most Miyazaki-esque anime I've seen since Made in Abyss and Mushishi — if you liked either of those two, or typical Ghibli movies, this should be right up your alley...

https://myanimelist.net/anime/5420/Kemono_no_Souja_Erin

P.S. Soyon = new candidate for best anime mom! :)

TrustInOle

Ahhhhh. I can not friggin wait! Eren looks awesome, guessing a time skip?

As others have said, don't want it to end and I wonder what direction the story takes now. Hope the ending lives up, forced myself to go no where the manga, which was a challenge. Has it been completed?

TrustInOle

I'm not ready. I don't want it to finish :(

Ah. I'm in the minority that's a big fan of both. I hadn't actually heard the voices dubbed of AOT until reading your post, and after looking at a few YT clips, I have to agree with you on Eren's voice. Erwin's voice in dubbed is really well done. If you're new to anime, there's a good chance you aren't familiar with webtoons. Essentially digital comic with vertical format as opposed to reading from right to left like you would in manga. There is no page limitation so artists can be really creative in the artistic detail. Some Webtoons have motion images every now and again, and even sound for particular chapters.They're typically in colour, and of Korean origin.

I have watched both, listen to the dub of Erwin's 'speech' I think S3 episode 16/17. The dub actor gave me chills. Same voice actor as Okabe in steins gate.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I have watched both, listen to the dub of Erwin's 'speech' I think S3 episode 16/17. The dub actor gave me chills. Same voice actor as Okabe in steins gate.
Brilliant! I haven't actually seen Steins Gate yet, but the same voice actor did a terrific job with capturing Sebastian's confident and sophisticated demeanour in Black Butler, and the maturity of Kraft Lawrence in Spice and Wolf. His semblance of serenity compliments the sudden boisterous outbursts of Holo in Spice and Wolf.

Holo is played by Brina Palencia. Brina also excelled with Ciel in Black Butler. For me, I'd say her execution of the role was superior to the woman who voiced Ciel in the subbed version.

Johnny Yong Bosch did a convincing job with Ichigo, and also voiced the protagonist in Ajin: Demi Human. I've yet to see the anime adaption of Tower of God, but the fact Jonny will be voicing Bam will make me opt for the dubbed version when I eventually get round to watching it.

I love the voice of Madara Uchiha in both dubbed and subbed.

The subbed voice for Cheadle is significantly better for me.

However, I quite like the voice of Pattison in the dubbed version. Same voice actor for Claudia in Violent Evergaden, and Ikuya in Ajin.

Its a pity when it comes to a song, its typically remains how its voiced in the subbed version.
Exhibit A:

WOW :drool::drool::drool::drool:

I also appreciate the pretentious portrayal of Bruno von Granzreich by Bryn April in The Royal Tutor. Also liked her performance with Honoka Tamarai in RELIFE.

Fervent admirer of Coleen Clickenbeard who voiced Luffy, Erza and Joan of Arc (Drifters). Luffy has given me goosebumps on multiple occasions, Erza one of my favourite female characters by virtue of being the reverse Orihime of Bleach. Can't stand her voice, or personality and possibly the character I like in anime the least. Then Joan of Arc, who is of historical interest to me, so it was fascinating to see her role in the series. A pleasant surprise.

Ghost Stories is an interesting anime as far as voice acting is concerned. It bombed so hard in the subbed version that the actors for the dubbed version were given creative license to deviate from the original script. As a result, the things they come up with is unorthodox which makes a series which would otherwise be billed as a non scary horror anime, to a humorous adventure anime provided you're attentive to what is actually said. The kind of quips you hear from the voice actors are the type of phrases one might hear in an unpopular opinion thread on any social media platform (Redcafe included). There's also pop culture references. Might be worth to give the first two episodes a try. As someone who loves the humour in South Park, the things they come up with Ghost Stories certainly gets a smile on my face.

Furthermore, I've recently become appreciative of Aniplex USA which has worked on (Your Lie in April, Anohana, Black Butler, and Love is War). Although, there's a section of people who detest Aniplex. Really looking forward to how Crunchyroll deal with webtoons. Okay that's enough ramblings from me.

el3mel

I heard the dub voices for AOT in few clips and while the acting is good overall I got different vibes from characters than in sub. There's an excessive use of foul language that made someone like Mikasa look like an absolute bitch.

Example from season 2, I'll post the same clip in dub and sub.

Minute 1:46 in this video :

And compare it to the same scene in sub:

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Good spot @el3mel

I'd agree that they give off different vibes. One other way of looking at it ... when the life of Eren of Arwin is in jeopardy all reason and clarity from Mikasa goes out the window. Running on adrenaline alone and in that precise moment she doesn't give a Scoobydoo about Ymir or justice, because as far as she's concerned, it would be an injustice from her perspective if either of Eren or Arwin were to die. It would only be once the adrenaline wore off (in the scenario of killing Ymir) that she would have that guilt and despair. In S3 Part 2 E6 or S3 E18 during the decision between saving Erwin or Armin her reasoning for saving the latter was very, very weak. Whereas Eren made a convincing argument. Had it been someone outside of Eren/Armin then chances are she'd either not intervene as she isn't particularly bothered, or she intervenes whilst offering a compelling argument for why Person X should get it.

el3mel

Good spot @el3mel

I'd agree that they give off different vibes. One other way of looking at it ... when the life of Eren of Arwin is in jeopardy all reason and clarity from Mikasa goes out the window. Running on adrenaline alone and in that precise moment she doesn't give a Scoobydoo about Ymir or justice, because as far as she's concerned, it would be an injustice from her perspective if either of Eren or Arwin were to die. It would only be once the adrenaline wore off (in the scenario of killing Ymir) that she would have that guilt and despair. In S3 Part 2 E6 or S3 E18 during the decision between saving Erwin or Armin her reasoning for saving the latter was very, very weak. Whereas Eren made a convincing argument. Had it been someone outside of Eren/Armin then chances are she'd either not intervene as she isn't particularly bothered, or she intervenes whilst offering a compelling argument for why Person X should get it.
I don't disagree about this reasoning, and the sub scene made it clear that she doesn't care about anyone else bar Eren, but I don't get the reason for the insults and foul language thrown in the dub. "Or the bitch I'm gonna kill" really no reason to insult Ymir with a phrase like this here, totally out of her character. The sub delivered it better imo.

This isn't the problem of the actors though. The acting in the scene was great and delivered their lines perfectly, and in any other dub clip I have watched they also did really well. It's the problem of the lines. They wanted to show that Mikasa really, really doesn't care by using foul language but the sub delivered the same without this.

hobbers

I cannot stand watching anything dubbed now. Totally ruins it. Partly because there's always a lot of licence taken with the script that often mucks with the context, and also because the American accents are usually just so damn grating.

Pokemon and DBZ are the only exceptions.