Television The Caf' Anime Thread

Web of Bissaka

I cannot stand watching anything dubbed now. Totally ruins it. Partly because there's always a lot of licence taken with the script that often mucks with the context, and also because the American accents are usually just so damn grating.

Pokemon and DBZ are the only exceptions.
One thing about subbed/original Japanese language that always annoyed me is the voices for the female characters that are over feminine. No real women or girls talked that way. It's too fake. Dubbed for that type of female characters are usually better. Best examples I can give are perhaps Orihime (Bleach) and Hinata (Naruto).

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Haven't watched Gundam myself, but really liked the dub voice here I know shame shame shame GOT style

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
For football check out Hungry Heart Wild Striker -probably the most realistic football anime or if you like football coaching Giant Killing. Then there's Haikyu(Volleyball), Ping Pong and the already mentioned Kuroko No basket - though beware its nothing like Slam Dunk since it uses your typical shonen special power battles in basketball
Any chance you know where I might "acquire" Giant Killing ? I managed to watch the first episode (Subbed) online but haven't had much luck finding the rest of it anywhere. Really enjoyed the first episode.

el3mel

Finished watching Beastars recently. Solid 8/10 for me. While it might has few problems, I was surprised by the complex characters and relationships that are honestly impossible to predict from the cover art. Legoshi is also a great protagonist.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I finally finished Gintama the other week, glad it went out on an irreverent note (not really the end though is it?). Was kinda afraid it had turned into Naruto for a while as the whole big, serious science fiction story always felt rather second rate compared to the smaller, humorous arcs. I'd still say it's the best new to me anime I've seen in years and years.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
I'm 5 episodes into the first season of Bungo Stray Dogs, and it's not really grabbing me. Does it get substantially better, or is this basically the level, and it's just not for me?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

el3mel

I have finally recently watched Black Lagoon and really liked it. Second season for me was better than the first which seems to be kind of an unpopular opinion I guess ? But the stories written in second season was much better and more engaging imo.

Will watch the blood trail OVA soon.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
The Promised Neverland manga finished a couple months ago. Only the second manga I've completed ... the first being Naruto. So, I was trying to see find some other ongoing manga I could watch.

Shūmatsu no Valkyrie:
A manga series which mankind must fight against the gods to secure their freedom for the next 1000 years. A suggestion made from Valkyrie, a figure in Norse mythology
On the side of the gods, there's gods from Greek mythology like Zeus and Apollo. There's an Egyptian God, a Japanese God, there's even Buddha, Thor, and Shiva from Hinduism. On the
side representing humanity, there's Jack the Ripper, Adam from the Bible, French astrologer, Michel Nostramadus, the most prolific sniper (Simo Häyhä) in human history with his exploits
in the Winter War between Finland and the Soviet Union. Nikola Tesla who first invented the first alternating current (AC) motor and developed AC generation and transmission technology.
Dialogue can be vulgar, but this is done by design, and suits the environment. Mankind can fight on a somewhat level playing field due to Valkyrie. Just finished the first scene, as epic
is how I would describe it.

Act Age:
She has a penchant for arbitrarily raising and lowering the tension with each scene due to her impulsively reacting to her emotions. Quirky, spontaneous, endearing personality. There's so much
fragments of her personality that are yet to come to the fore, as she learns sides about herself that she didn't know existed. Engrossed, and immersed in her role she almost always goes off
script. Casting her as an actress is not a seamless experience, as there's no boundaries between the role and her self. Each take is a surreal and immersive experience for her, things like
a set, and props are as vivid as the heart which beats from her chest.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I'm barely reading any manga nowadays. Completely switched to manhwa's.
Currently reading
Solo Leveling, Legend Of The Northern Blade, Survival Story of a Sword King in a Fantasy World, How to Fight, Murim Login, Peerless Dad, Medical Return...

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I'm barely reading any manga nowadays. Completely switched to manhwa's.
Currently reading
Solo Leveling, Legend Of The Northern Blade, Survival Story of a Sword King in a Fantasy World, How to Fight, Murim Login, Peerless Dad, Medical Return...
Manghwa
Completed - Girl of the Wild's (Underwhelming ending for me)

Indefinite hiatus (2 years and counting) - Black Haze

Currently reading :
3 stars - Empyrea, True Beauty, Freaking Romance, Mission Diversion
3.5 stars - DICE (would be 4 stars had it not declined in the past 7 months or so)

4 stars - SubZero, The Wrath & the Dawn, Purple Hyacinth, Unordinary, I Love Yoo, My Dear Cold Blooded King, Solo Leveling, Age Matters
4.5 stars - Black Haze
5 stars - Kubera, Lookism, Tower of God, Phantom Paradise

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Manghwa
Completed - Girl of the Wild's (Underwhelming ending for me)

Indefinite hiatus (2 years and counting) - Black Haze

Currently reading :
3 stars - Empyrea, True Beauty, Freaking Romance, Mission Diversion
3.5 stars - DICE (would be 4 stars had it not declined in the past 7 months or so)

4 stars - SubZero, The Wrath & the Dawn, Purple Hyacinth, Unordinary, I Love Yoo, My Dear Cold Blooded King, Solo Leveling, Age Matters
4.5 stars - Black Haze
5 stars - Kubera, Lookism, Tower of God, Phantom Paradise
Check out the other manhwa's from the same author - Life Completely Ruined and How To Fight. They're really good

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

:drool:

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
She has a penchant for arbitrarily raising and lowering the tension with each scene due to her impulsively reacting to her emotions. Quirky, spontaneous, endearing personality. There's so much
fragments of her personality that are yet to come to the fore, as she learns sides about herself that she didn't know existed. Engrossed, and immersed in her role she almost always goes off
script. Casting her as an actress is not a seamless experience, as there's no boundaries between the role and her self. Each take is a surreal and immersive experience for her, things like
a set, and props are as vivid as the heart which beats from her chest.
27 chapters read in the past 5 days and shaping up to be the best manga I've read. I just found out the manga was cancelled last month because of the writer's arrest for sexually assaulting two teenage girls.

Shocking stuff, and rightly cancelled.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Excuse me bumping this thread with an obscure question.

I'm trying to find any anime with Japanese subtitles and was wondering if anyone here knew a streaming resource or any anime with this seemingly remote addition.

I have Netflix and have currently found Spirited Away but going through their list one by one doesn't seem to be particularly productive.

Help with this or a pointer in the right direction greatly appreciated.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Excuse me bumping this thread with an obscure question.

I'm trying to find any anime with Japanese subtitles and was wondering if anyone here knew a streaming resource or any anime with this seemingly remote addition.

I have Netflix and have currently found Spirited Away but going through their list one by one doesn't seem to be particularly productive.

Help with this or a pointer in the right direction greatly appreciated.
If you search anime on Netflix, is 'Japanese Anime' not at the absolute bottom of page?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If you search anime on Netflix, is 'Japanese Anime' not at the absolute bottom of page?
I've found quite a few on there now, tbh. Seems quite random what and what is J-subbed and what isn't, but I've found a good amount of content to be baffled by! :lol:

Wish there was a way to slow the captions down, but I guess I'm asking for the moon on a stick there!

It'll force my learning to go up a good few notches (far more than intended!) at least.

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
Would anyone here do the rumbling, if you were in Eren’s position?.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Pleasantly surprised by Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. Not the biggest fan of traditional artsy-fartsy anime with forced drama and didn't go in with a lot of expectations...but it struck a cord because of the grounded and polished story-telling, and strength of fleshed-out and charming characters — didn't take long for me to get sucked in, effortlessly moved by the myriad moving pieces through the rises and falls, and just follow them on their sincere journey of contentment and realization of incomprehensible feelings. Folks who tend to enjoy top-shelf voice acting and background music with equally beautiful backdrops might also appreciate it! :)

A bit on the Rakugo form of entertainment:

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Season 1 of Houseki no Kuni was only 12 episodes long but left an indelible impression, no hesitation in categorizing it as one of the best and most immersive anime I've seen recently! :drool:

In terms of the general concept and world-building, it's admittedly a bit odd and whimsical: with the story being centered around the lives of a group of everlasting crystalline beings and spearheaded by the doltish and lovable primary protagonist Phosphophyllite, the visuals are remarkable and the CGI doesn't look overdone (which is to be expected with an Orange Studio production), full of intrigue as the scope of the world progressively expands outwards from their little idyllic coastal abode, and quite soulful/melancholic at its core (belying the cherubic outward appearance and reminiscent of Puella Magi Madoka Magica). All in all, a very enjoyable watch — and an unexpectedly poignant exploration of the human condition.

★★★★½

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Ooh, less than 2 weeks to go — purposefully skipped the entire manga, so I can hardly wait...

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Ooh, less than 2 weeks to go — purposefully skipped the entire manga, so I can hardly wait...

Didn't know this thread existed. I've recently watched The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra, Death Note and now caught up on Attack On Titan. Such a good show, except for when Eren whines like a little bitch.

3KDré

Didn't know this thread existed. I've recently watched The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra, Death Note and now caught up on Attack On Titan. Such a good show, except for when Eren whines like a little bitch.
I have seen Avatar but not legend of Korra because I don’t think it could ever live up to TLA. Do you reckon it’s worth watching?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I have seen Avatar but not legend of Korra because I don’t think it could ever live up to TLA. Do you reckon it’s worth watching?
It's decent but nowhere near TLA. I found myself on my phone for a lot of the episodes, especially Season 2.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
That was one of my biggest gripes with Season 1, too — honestly had no intention of continuing to watch what was apparently a one-dimensional hack-and-slash anime with a corny shōnen protagonist. But I did (thankfully), and Eren really grew on me and developed quite nicely as a character throughout Season 2 and 3. By all accounts, Season 4 is going to be a banger and he's expected to take some massive strides in his evolution! :drool:
The Legend of Korra is pretty decent but the original Avatar set such a high bar that the former was always going to underwhelm (particularly given the nostalgia factor for many). If you do watch it, I'd suggest dissociating the bulk of it from The Last Airbender and treating it as a standalone show rather than a sequel, as it really fills a contrasting niche in a fairly different world and Korra is in many ways the antithesis of Aang (douchy BossBitch™ vs. endearing reluctant-hero).

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool

I couldn’t resist reading the manga after finishing season 3.

I can only that it only gets better. Much much better.

TrustInOle

7th of December, the day has finally come. Attack on Titan season 4 will premier today and I for one am ecstatic that it has finally arrived. One of, if not my favourite anime of all time, brilliant characters, amazing story with so much to come hopefully. What are peoples thoughts?

In the famous words of the greatest commander the scouts have known, "Now, we launch our attack on the titans" :devil:

AaronRedDevil

I ain’t watching shit till it’s all out and I’ll binge watch in all in a day. No way I’m waiting each week, that’ll be a struggle.