Television The Caf' Anime Thread

Baneofthegame

Is AoT good after SPOILERS BELOW!

They reveal how the Titans are basically being shoved over the wall from another country? Kind of lost track with the manga at that point.

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
Is AoT good after SPOILERS BELOW!

They reveal how the Titans are basically being shoved over the wall from another country? Kind of lost track with the manga at that point.
Yes, it gets better, in fact.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
By the way, does anyone else reckon that Attack On Titan is a contemporary homage to Neon Genesis Evangelion (apart from stuff like being based in a medieval society and borrowing more heavily from Nordic/Celtic lore rather then Judeo-Christian archetypes of course)?
  • Grisha and Gendo: scheming, demanding, cruel seeming absent-fathers.
  • Eren and Shinji: troubled, hormonal lads, Mikasa and Asuka: brash, gifted combatants, Armin and Rei: mousy, but possess great inner strength.
  • Titans and Eva-Units: piloted by humans through the nape, including the main protagonist.
  • Also a lot of similarities between Titan attacks and Angel attacks (mysterious entities that are fixated on destroying humanity).
  • Human Instrumentality = Titan Paths.
  • Hange & Ritsuko: inquisitive chief scientist types.
  • Fortified last bastion cities with the Eldian settlement on Paradis and Tokyo-3 with NERV Headquarters.
  • Marley Empire = SEELE in terms of ambition and mass production objectives.
  • Traitorous allies who pilot a Titan/Eva-Unit: Reiner and Kaworu.
  • Ymir = progenitor of Titans and the goddess of Eldians, Lilith = progenitor of Lilin/humans.
  • Both Annie and Founding Titan also bear parallels to skewered Lilith in Terminal Dogma.
  • Overt themes of cannibalism with Titans and Eva-Units.
  • Rumbling and Third Impact: looming threat of a Ragnarok-esque event.
etc.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Haven't seen Neon Genesis, but finally got round to seeing the first episode of Wonder Egg Priority. It aired Jan 13, and I've been meaning to watch it for 10 days now. On my website, its listed as slice of life. However, MyAnimeList have it as psychological, drama, fantasy. Wasn't quite sure what to expect from the first episode, as I haven't watched the trailer, nor read a synopsis of the plot. I certainly saw enough for me to continue watching the series. Now one of many shows I look forward to seeing in 2021.

Sanche7

So I was reading a review of the last episode of AOT on denofgeek and the reviewer was like 'I'm disgusted by Eren and I fully support team Gabi now, Eren is just asking for a violence/war' etc and I was like wtf are you talking about. Clearly the theme of the show is that there are no winners or losers in a war, but to say that Eren's actions are unjustified or too violent is ridiculous IMO. He didn't start the war and if he's a monster now, it's because he was made into one by his experiences, which taught him that to fight a monster, you have to become one. He has seen his mother die, had to eat his father, seen countless friends die, been betrayed multiple times by people he trusted, yet somehow he's the bad guy. I talked to some of my friends about the same thing and even they seem to share the opinion that Eren is the bad guy. I'm like how?! That got me wondering as to what the caf thinks about Eren, has he gone too far?

Drainy

What shows are you watchng?
Ones everyone will be watching:

Attack on Titan
Re:Zero

Random Seasonal Isekais:

Jobless Reincarnation (kind of generic isekai trash, but if you like that kind of thing you'll probably like this one too)
So I'm a Spider, So What? (if you like That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime you'll like this one, it kind of fixes what made Slime lose steam in my opinion by having more interesting and multiple main characters. However the main protagonist is underpowered, unlike Slime)

Random fantasies setting anime

Redo of a Healer (Dark Dark fantasy anime, only watch if you're not easily offended - a healer hero is abused by other heroes and once he gains access to a powerful artefact he restarts his life over with the scars on his soul of the torment and sets out for vengeance on his abusers)
Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town (kind of light hearted fantasy - BTEC Konosuba vibes)

At some point I'll be watching Beastars S2 and possibly The Hidden Dungeon Only I Can Enter (if I can stomach the harem elements)

el3mel

I'm watching 5 animes currently :

Jujutsu Kaisen (I found it pretty average to be honest, but since I'm so far into it might as well keep following till it ends).
Dragon Quest (Decent remake, not mind blowing but fun enough for nostalgia feeling).
Beasters second second (Fecking fantastic, so far better than first season).
Promising Neverland second season (it has been a slow burner so far with more world building so can't really evaluate it much at the moment).
Dr. Stone second season (pretty fun so far).

Still didn't start AOT season, well I guess at this point it's better to wait for it to be finished first. I got some things spoiled for from the manga last year though, which is pretty annoying but it's what it's.

Don't know why it's impossible to forget a spoiler no matter how long time has passed since you read it. :lol:

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
Don't know why it's impossible to forget a spoiler no matter how long time has passed since you read it. :lol:
It’s honestly the worst. I’ve had both My Hero Academia and AOT spoiled for me (amongst others) and it just drove me to read the mangas. Never wished for a mind wipe so bad in my life :lol:

el3mel

It’s honestly the worst. I’ve had both My Hero Academia and AOT spoiled for me (amongst others) and it just drove me to read the mangas. Never wished for a mind wipe so bad in my life :lol:
Probably the same I feel haha.

Problem is spoilers come to you when you're not even chasing them. Every time I try to watch a scene of a movie or anime on YouTube, comments and video suggestions do the job. :lol:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
So I was reading a review of the last episode of AOT on denofgeek and the reviewer was like 'I'm disgusted by Eren and I fully support team Gabi now, Eren is just asking for a violence/war' etc and I was like wtf are you talking about. Clearly the theme of the show is that there are no winners or losers in a war, but to say that Eren's actions are unjustified or too violent is ridiculous IMO. He didn't start the war and if he's a monster now, it's because he was made into one by his experiences, which taught him that to fight a monster, you have to become one. He has seen his mother die, had to eat his father, seen countless friends die, been betrayed multiple times by people he trusted, yet somehow he's the bad guy. I talked to some of my friends about the same thing and even they seem to share the opinion that Eren is the bad guy. I'm like how?! That got me wondering as to what the caf thinks about Eren, has he gone too far?
Marley uses child soliders. Marley uses suicide bombers. Marley have internment camps for an "inferior" race. Marley attacked Paradis Island unprovoked, right?

Feck 'em up, Eren.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Ones everyone will be watching:

Attack on Titan
Re:Zero

Random Seasonal Isekais:

Jobless Reincarnation (kind of generic isekai trash, but if you like that kind of thing you'll probably like this one too)
So I'm a Spider, So What? (if you like That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime you'll like this one, it kind of fixes what made Slime lose steam in my opinion by having more interesting and multiple main characters. However the main protagonist is underpowered, unlike Slime)

Random fantasies setting anime

Redo of a Healer (Dark Dark fantasy anime, only watch if you're not easily offended - a healer hero is abused by other heroes and once he gains access to a powerful artefact he restarts his life over with the scars on his soul of the torment and sets out for vengeance on his abusers)
Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town (kind of light hearted fantasy - BTEC Konosuba vibes)

At some point I'll be watching Beastars S2 and possibly The Hidden Dungeon Only I Can Enter (if I can stomach the harem elements)
I see. Given your fondness of isekai, I recommend you try Bokura no which aired in 2007. Although, the overarching tone might be different to what you're used too as there's an air of melancholy surrounded by multiple characters given the predicament they're faced with. From what I've seen so far (four episodes in), its a dark, psychological mecha isekai.

Conversely, there's also My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom (2020). I suspect you've seen that as it seems much closer to your taste (provided I correctly judged your taste).

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I'm watching 5 animes currently :

Jujutsu Kaisen (I found it pretty average to be honest, but since I'm so far into it might as well keep following till it ends).
Dragon Quest (Decent remake, not mind blowing but fun enough for nostalgia feeling).
Beasters second second (Fecking fantastic, so far better than first season).
Promising Neverland second season (it has been a slow burner so far with more world building so can't really evaluate it much at the moment).
Dr. Stone second season (pretty fun so far).
I'm looking forward to:

The Way of House Husband (Gokushufudou) -
Slice of Life, Comedy - Gokushufudou follows the daily life of the comically serious ex-yakuza as he leaves behind his dangerous previous life to become a stay-at-home husband. via MyanimeList

Uzumaki:
(Dementia, Horror, Seinen)

Shadow House - I read the first 15 chapters without realising an anime adaption would soon be on the horizon. I'm interested in how the anime approach the pacing. It took over 10 chapters for the first equilibrium to be disrupted. But the premise is one I find intriguing. From what I've understood, the protagonist is raised as a ''doll'' for an aristocratic family. Now being a doll has all sorts of connotations. That's all I'll say as the sense of ambiguity is the main draw. I'd recommend it to fans of Promised Neverland.

Yasuke - A slave of African heritage that rose to the rank of samurai from the sengoku period that was of African origin. Oda Nobunaga

Record of Ragnarok
Shūmatsu no Valkyrie:
A manga series which mankind must fight against the gods to secure their freedom for the next 1000 years. A suggestion made from Valkyrie, a figure in Norse mythology
On the side of the gods, there's gods from Greek mythology like Zeus and Apollo. There's an Egyptian God, a Japanese God, there's even Buddha, Thor, and Shiva from Hinduism. On the
side representing humanity, there's Jack the Ripper, Adam from the Bible, French astrologer, Michel Nostramadus, the most prolific sniper (Simo Häyhä) in human history with his exploits
in the Winter War between Finland and the Soviet Union. Nikola Tesla who first invented the first alternating current (AC) motor and developed AC generation and transmission technology.
Dialogue can be vulgar, but this is done by design, and suits the environment. Mankind can fight on a somewhat level playing field due to Valkyrie. Just finished the first scene, as epic
is how I would describe it.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Man, the pacing in the One Piece anime is so good at the moment, 1.5 chapters per episode. A few years ago they probably would have designated an entire episode to Oden fighting the boar, have him struggle and whatnot. Gonna be some really good episodes from now on.

Drainy

Just watched the first episode of Wonder Egg Priority - if you like the Persona series its kind of that crossed with Madoka Magica

Very dark themes

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Wow can't believe Sabo is alive! :eek: Looks like the final is shaping up to be between him and the guy from Blackbeard's crew. We've seen the importance of having status in this arc with it being made apparent that Doflamingo blackmailed the government amongst other things. So, Luffy gaining an ally (Sabo) with a noble background is bound to be a major coup in his endeavour to upset the status quo amongst the four emperors. Then the bomshell at the end with the arrival of Big Mom. Not sure how she's connected too one of the emperors, but one of the straw hats mentioned the name of Kaizo or a name to that effect. Really tempted to watch the next four episodes, but I know need to pace myself for the next instalment which will be released some point in March.

el3mel

Binge watching AOT is just awesome. Just watched episodes 4 to 8 in a row now and I honestly can't imagine myself having to wait a week between each one. I took the right decision to wait.

I was spoiled about Sasha's death a year ago so it came at no surprise for me but I didn't expect it to come so casually with a random bullet that could have killed anyone else but happened to hit her. Felt like she died just as she lived : a side character and nothing else. :lol:

el3mel

Also worth noting I really liked the opening. It has to be one of the most unique and unorthodox openings I have seen in an anime in a long time. It doesn't even show a single main character, and the tone just fills you with the dread of what's coming up. Great opening.

TrustInOle

Binge watching AOT is just awesome. Just watched episodes 4 to 8 in a row now and I honestly can't imagine myself having to wait a week between each one. I took the right decision to wait.

I was spoiled about Sasha's death a year ago so it came at no surprise for me but I didn't expect it to come so casually with a random bullet that could have killed anyone else but happened to hit her. Felt like she died just as she lived : a side character and nothing else. :lol:
It's torture waiting. :lol:

TrustInOle

Wow can't believe Sabo is alive! :eek: Looks like the final is shaping up to be between him and the guy from Blackbeard's crew. We've seen the importance of having status in this arc with it being made apparent that Doflamingo blackmailed the government amongst other things. So, Luffy gaining an ally (Sabo) with a noble background is bound to be a major coup in his endeavour to upset the status quo amongst the four emperors. Then the bomshell at the end with the arrival of Big Mom. Not sure how she's connected too one of the emperors, but one of the straw hats mentioned the name of Kaizo or a name to that effect. Really tempted to watch the next four episodes, but I know need to pace myself for the next instalment which will be released some point in March.
Do you watch the dub version? I watch the subs, but can't handle the wait in between so I started waiting for 10-15 episodes to release at a time before bringing them :lol:

The Sabo reveal is one of the most heart warming moments in any anime. The happiness Lucy (:smirk:) must have felt after loosing Ace a few years prior.

TrustInOle

I didn't enjoy 4th season of My Hero Academia at all but 2nd and 3rd ones were a lot of fun.
How so? I personally enjoyed it, I feel the character growth with Deku was done well with the involvement of Lemillion. But I did feel we lacked any real growth with the other characters, minus Todoroki. From the looks of things that's what the begining of the season will focus on, how all our other characters are. Personally excited for more of Shinso as I really liked him during the tournament arc, has an interesting power set to.

Edit. This is one of the ones me and my little lad watch so I may be bias on how much he enjoys it :lol:

el3mel

How so? I personally enjoyed it, I feel the character growth with Deku was done well with the involvement of Lemillion. But I did feel we lacked any real growth with the other characters, minus Todoroki. From the looks of things that's what the begining of the season will focus on, how all our other characters are. Personally excited for more of Shinso as I really liked him during the tournament arc, has an interesting power set to.

Edit. This is one of the ones me and my little lad watch so I may be bias on how much he enjoys it :lol:
I felt the fights were lackluster and mostly tried so hard to develop the side characters to the point that was little bit too much, like the one who can hardens himself (don't remember the name) had 2 moments of struggling in one arc, the first one ! First one was Ok, good character development, but I found it to be ridiculous that few episodes later he's struggling again and had to develop again which I found it too much to believe.

And the second arc of the season felt like a big filler. Wasn't interested in it at all really.

I feel My Hero Academy is at its best when it comes to fighting and using creative quirks in succession. This season felt like both to some extent. The best episode for me was actually the last 2 Todoroki's father because I felt this is the quality I expect when I watch this kind of show.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Alright, couldn't wait any longer and decided to watch Episodes 1—8 of The Final Season in one sitting (saving the rest for an end-of-the-season marathon).
  • Falco: lovely character; one of the most tender, heroic and empathetic individuals in the entire series — you can tell that he is going to play a profound role towards the climax because of the way he is being portrayed.
  • Gabi: similar to young Eren in terms of dehumanizing the enemy, being impertinent and driven by a newly acquired all-consuming taste for vengeance — hope the poor kid gets closure in the future, and her soul is healed (unlike Eren's).
  • Eren: the Kruger-Owl charade was quite nice. Stuck between a rock and a hard place, the guy...well and truly bad-people by this point; wonder if he will get the chance to semi-redeem himself with a Lelouch x Zero Requiem type final hurrah.
  • Potato Girl: RIP. Also, poor Connie...
  • Hange & Jean: still pretty good, I guess?
  • Reiner: Isayama's favorite character, Plot Armor Titan. Came across as the protagonist of the show at certain points (after Falco of course).
  • Bertoto and Annie flashbacks: you love to see it.
  • Zeke: hmph, what is he up to...
  • Levi, Mikasa, Armin: haven't done that much of note to be honest, expect them play a more substantial role in future episodes (especially Armin as Annie bet on him).
  • Ooh, I miss Erwin, the show doesn't feel the same without his hype-creating superpowers!

* The animation takes some getting used to, but I don't really mind it — a definite downgrade from WIT Studio, but all things considered MAPPA has done a good job in limited time and the gritty quality of Attack on Titan hasn't been lost — at times it even feels like a declassified World War 2 show. Also like that Hiroyuki Sawano and all the voice actors were retained (Yūki Kaji in particular continues to excel).

el3mel

I'm taking a break after binge watching the first 8 episodes as well. Seems like a good point to stop and focus on the new episodes of the other animes I'm following. Will return to it later next week or so when there's only 2 episodes left or something.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Alright, couldn't wait any longer and decided to watch Episodes 1—8 of The Final Season in one sitting (saving the rest for an end-of-the-season marathon).
  • Falco: lovely character; one of the most tender, heroic and empathetic individuals in the entire series — you can tell that he is going to play a profound role towards the climax because of the way he is being portrayed.
  • Gabi: similar to young Eren in terms of dehumanizing the enemy, being impertinent and driven by a newly acquired all-consuming taste for vengeance — hope the poor kid gets closure in the future, and her soul is healed (unlike Eren's).
  • Eren: the Kruger-Owl charade was quite nice. Stuck between a rock and a hard place, the guy...well and truly bad-people by this point; wonder if he will get the chance to semi-redeem himself with a Lelouch x Zero Requiem type final hurrah.
  • Potato Girl: RIP. Also, poor Connie...
  • Hange & Jean: still pretty good, I guess?
  • Reiner: Isayama's favorite character, Plot Armor Titan. Came across as the protagonist of the show at certain points (after Falco of course).
  • Bertoto and Annie flashbacks: you love to see it.
  • Zeke: hmph, what is he up to...
  • Levi, Mikasa, Armin: haven't done that much of note to be honest, expect them play a more substantial role in future episodes (especially Armin as Annie bet on him).
  • Ooh, I miss Erwin, the show doesn't feel the same without his hype-creating superpowers!

* The animation takes some getting used to, but I don't really mind it — a definite downgrade from WIT Studio, but all things considered MAPPA has done a good job in limited time and the gritty quality of Attack on Titan hasn't been lost — at times it even feels like a declassified World War 2 show. Also like that Hiroyuki Sawano and all the voice actors were retained (Yūki Kaji in particular continues to excel).
Fecking this. Just isn't the same without my boy Erwin.

el3mel

Today I got 3 comments on my profile in MyAnimeList with spoilers of AOT last few chapters. :lol: I deleted all of them and blocked the users who did this. I honestly don't know what the hell people earn from doing this.

Thank feck the only one I read was something I was predicting it to happen eventually.

People who are using MAL should be ware of any upcoming comments on their profile these days I assume. :lol:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I'm just gonna start reading the comics. From what I've gleaned so far they aren't finishing everything up in 4 episodes so there will be a final season part 2. I'm not gonna be able to go a year or two without being spoiled.

roseguy64

I'm just gonna start reading the comics. From what I've gleaned so far they aren't finishing everything up in 4 episodes so there will be a final season part 2. I'm not gonna be able to go a year or two without being spoiled.
Yeah depending on how long before the final part comes out I might just have to start the manga. That's what happened to me before the last season of MHA.