The case for Bruno to be club captain

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I honestly feel more than half this place is full of less that 20 y/o. Why do you all do this to yourself again and again and again? Make snap, emotionally charged judgments. It’s not just with our own players, it’s with other players as well.
A few barren years have driven some of the more gullible posters past the point of reason. If they ever had any to begin with.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Assistant to the Regional Captain
I laughed at the reference, but I'm actually scratching my head trying to think of what it's a reference to. I know I know it, but I just can't recall it.
Care to help?

Eckers99

I laughed at the reference, but I'm actually scratching my head trying to think of what it's a reference to. I know I know it, but I just can't recall it.
Care to help?
The Office isn't it?

LInkash

Bruno should be our manager. I feel like he is more suited to the job than Ole. As a playmaker, he has better vision and understands the game more. Good man management too, when he gave an interview after Watford, he talked about Greenwood without hyping him up too much, he's good with youth it seems.

Spaghetti

Mom's
I completely agree.

He should also be the new DOF and, possibly, goalkeeper as well. I will start calling him “dad” despite him being 10 years my junior.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I honestly feel more than half this place is full of less that 20 y/o. Why do you all do this to yourself again and again and again? Make snap, emotionally charged judgments. It’s not just with our own players, it’s with other players as well.
Couldn't have said it better.

AneRu

He has been a fantastic addition but lets not go overboard and wait to see how things will look by the end of the year, that being said I second the lad for the post of Executive Vice Chairman, DOF, Manager and Lord Protector of Old Trafford.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Oi agree.

jackal&hyde

I can see a possibility of this happening, but. It is not Bruno as a magician that transformed the attack, it is having a footballer that is good, in the AM role.

I have been arguing with people for months that the problem of losing points and being crap against defensive teams is not a manager or coaching issue, is a Lingard and Pereira issue. Bruno is not KDB or Messi, he is just good.

We have a very good team in defense with mediocre DMs and a very good set of players in attack without AMs. Now we have a good AM and that transforms things.

TheGodsInRed

No, not captain. I feel he would be more suited to non-executive director of playing relations.

This of course would enable him to receive the non-exec benefits such as an annual steamed yam and limited access to the company Vauxhall Viceroy.

Le Red

Frankly, I don't think Maguire is the ideal captain. The guy is too quiet in my opinion.
Bruno has that Keane aura on him, and I think it's a matter of time before he wears the armband.
Time is a keyword here though. Harry hasn't done anything wrong as captain so he should remain in that capacity got the time being.
As the years go by Bruno's influence and leadership will become more and more evident, and him becoming captain will be a natural step.

tenpoless

You forgot the part where his parents used to give him their house keys when They went out. His older brothers never had to take care of the keys. Age doesn't mean leadership and Bruno had plenty of it even as a kid.

Passitlikescholes

No. From all reports Bruno has natural leadership abilities.

That's not who we need as captain as Bruno will push the team on anyways.

We need someone who we spot has those attributes but just needs to come out of their shell or someone who needs the extra responsibilitiy to make that next step up

POF

I'm not a fan of Maguire as captain at all because he hasn't earned it and has only been at the club 5 minutes. Giving it to Bruno would be absolutely crazy.

But it is good to see a United player showing leadership. I'd almost forgotten what that looked like!

Eckers99

I'm not a fan of Maguire as captain at all because he hasn't earned it and has only been at the club 5 minutes. Giving it to Bruno would be absolutely crazy.

But it is good to see a United player showing leadership. I'd almost forgotten what that looked like!
I agree that the captaincy should be earned but when Maguire signed we were hardly overwhelmed by candidates were we? And he seems to have the personality for it, so there's no reason at all to change course.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I don’t get the ridicule in this thread since our current captain has been in our squad for what, 5 months? And he hardly showed any outstanding leadership qualities, we just didn’t have anyone better. I don’t see why in theory you wouldn’t consider Bruno for a captaincy in the summer if he continues to perform like he does now.

Eckers99

I don’t get the ridicule in this thread since our current captain has been in our squad for what, 5 months? And he hardly showed any outstanding leadership qualities, we just didn’t have anyone better. I don’t see why in theory you wouldn’t consider Bruno for a captaincy in the summer if he continues to perform like he does now.
First of all, what impact would it have on Maguire and what has he done to have the captaincy taken away from him?

Secondly, there's no guarantee Bruno will maintain this level of performance.

People are getting really carried away about a very small amount of evidence and this thread is the apex of that.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He should be a captain. Until the summer when we buy new player who will then become a captain. Because it is something what is our standard from this season. Who comes last, he is the captain.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Not really sure why people are mocking @Irrational. here, it's not like Maguire is a long serving senior squad member, Bruno would've gotten the armband on the same merit as Maguire who got it what, 6 months ago?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Maguire is rightly the Captain imo. McTominay should be vice-captain
Going off topic now but why is Maguire rightly a captain? I agree with giving one of vice captains roles to McT or Rashford but giving this huge honour to the guy who just came in the club while having players who are for years here like De Gea or Mata is decision which pisses me off.

Sorry, i am little bit too emotional about that decision because i just can't accept it. ;)
#justice_for_Dave

MrPooni

Now I know he hasn't been here long and you could argue whether the captaincy means much, but I feel Bruno is already a better fit for United captain than Maguire.

In such a short space of time, Bruno has already made a massive impact at the club and the way we play football.

For me he holds the following attributes which automatically make him a better candidate for the captaincy over Maguire:

- Plays in midfield where he can influence the game a lot more
- Leads by example
- Hard working (and it seems to be rubbing off on those around him)
- Never shirks responsibility, and also confident with set pieces
- Good communicator - fluent in English as well as being able to talk to his other Spanish/ Portuguese speaking teammates
- Already hugely popular with his teammates
- Fast becoming a fan favourite if he isn't already.

Thoughts?
Username checks out.

Chairman Steve

The captaincy in these times just seems to be a small formality. I think the majority of teams have about 3-4 players who could be classed as the squad leaders.

Red For Ever

Irrational behavior is one of the most difficult behaviors to deal with. When someone is being irrational, they don't listen to reason, logic, or even common sense. ... When we confront an irrational person, the biggest challenge we run into is that the meaning they give to a situation is different from ours

Falcow

The OP, like everyone else, is entitled to their opinion. This is a football forum after all.

I'm happy enough with Maguire and I think he makes for a very good captain. I've never been in favour of making a goal keeper captain as they can only influence a small area of the pitch, Ddg is too quiet anyway.

It's been years since we had a good captain and credit to Ole for bringing in players who are leaders i.e. maguire and bruno.

Irrational.

Not really sure why people are mocking @Irrational. here, it's not like Maguire is a long serving senior squad member, Bruno would've gotten the armband on the same merit as Maguire who got it what, 6 months ago?
Exactly! I see no convincing arguments here, only mockery and everyone jumping aboard the bandwagon. All I was saying was that I've witnessed (albeit from the very limited evidence so far) that Bruno has good leadership qualities.

I think he'll be United captain in the very near future, you heard it here first.

Now we just need to let this thread die. :D

Eckers99

Exactly! I see no convincing arguments here, only mockery and everyone jumping aboard the bandwagon. All I was saying was that I've witnessed (albeit from the very limited evidence so far) that Bruno has good leadership qualities.

I think he'll be United captain in the very near future, you heard it here first.

Now we just need to let this thread die. :D
You can be a leader and not be the captain though. Making Bruno captain (on the assumption that he keeps his form going beyond 3 games) wouldn't necessarily change his outlook or performances but it might affect Maguire, so what's the benefit to the team?

SweetRightFoot

Now I know he hasn't been here long and you could argue whether the captaincy means much, but I feel Bruno is already a better fit for United captain than Maguire.

In such a short space of time, Bruno has already made a massive impact at the club and the way we play football.

For me he holds the following attributes which automatically make him a better candidate for the captaincy over Maguire:

- Plays in midfield where he can influence the game a lot more
- Leads by example
- Hard working (and it seems to be rubbing off on those around him)
- Never shirks responsibility, and also confident with set pieces
- Good communicator - fluent in English as well as being able to talk to his other Spanish/ Portuguese speaking teammates
- Already hugely popular with his teammates
- Fast becoming a fan favourite if he isn't already.

Thoughts?
Username checks out.

Irrational.

You can be a leader and not be the captain though. Making Bruno captain (on the assumption that he keeps his form going beyond 3 games) wouldn't necessarily change his outlook or performances but it might affect Maguire, so what's the benefit to the team?
I think it might impact the team in a more positive way, he seems to have improved the performances of the players around him in a key area of the pitch, in such a short space of time - which just tells us about how influential he can be moving forward.

Not sure it would affect Maguire tbh, he seems quite headstrong and I don't think we'd get the same reaction as say, Martial when the #9 shirt was taken away from him. I don't think he can influence the game from CB in the same way a midfielder can.

When you think of influential captains they've mostly been midfielders: Keane, Robson, Vieira, Gerrard.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Eckers99

I think it might impact the team in a more positive way, he seems to have improved the performances of the players around him in a key area of the pitch, in such a short space of time - which just tells us about how influential he can be moving forward.

Not sure it would affect Maguire tbh, he seems quite headstrong and I don't think we'd get the same reaction as say, Martial when the #9 shirt was taken away from him. I don't think he can influence the game from CB in the same way a midfielder can.

When you think of influential captains they've mostly been midfielders: Keane, Robson, Vieira, Gerrard.

Anyway, just my two cents.
He's managed to be influential without the arm band so far, there's no reason why him having it would make him more influential.

It might affect Maguire, it might not, but the risk isn't worth the reward imo. I'm not even sure there's any possible benefit but there is definitely a potential downside.

And tons of CBs have been influential captains: Just from the Premier League era there's Bruce, Adams, Terry, Vidic and Kompany to name a few. Not that position should dictate captaincy anyway.

AndersB

"Fluent in English"

Not too sure about that one, mate. Apart from that there's obviously no objections to be had.