The case for Bruno to be club captain

fps

Revisiting this, it does highlight how few nailed-on starters of requisite quality we have.

MikeeMike

Don't think de Gea will ever be captain, he's nowhere near vocal enough. I doubt we'll give it to him based on longevity either.
Only my humble opinion but for me, Captain is an over-hyped role. Apart from leading out the team of course. Players should not need a captain to give them a kick up the a*** or ask for 100%
In Fergies teams,Schmeicel, Bruce, Eric, Robson all lifted the team to insist on full commitment in every game. The Captain label now is deemed a single player who can do this which doesnt happen.

littleman

Only my humble opinion but for me, Captain is an over-hyped role. Apart from leading out the team of course. Players should not need a captain to give them a kick up the a*** or ask for 100%
In Fergies teams,Schmeicel, Bruce, Eric, Robson all lifted the team to insist on full commitment in every game. The Captain label now is deemed a single player who can do this which doesnt happen.
There are obviously teams with an abundance of leaders. That's desired.

In teams that don't have that oversupply, you just have to pick the best. It's iconic to have club captain do things, a myth/aura comes about and that has a real psychological effect on players and it feeds into itself and becomes a real thing.

MikeeMike

There are obviously teams with an abundance of leaders. That's desired.

In teams that don't have that oversupply, you just have to pick the best. It's iconic to have club captain do things, a myth/aura comes about and that has a real psychological effect on players and it feeds into itself and becomes a real thing.
Totally agree but in a reality, for me, it reflects poorly on players that need this “boost”. Also switching captains or a player who thinks they should be captain (Pogba), seems to have a negative effect.

Irrational.

Captained us to an infamous European away win.

Can definitely see the positive influence he has on his peers, leads by example. Would certainly keep him as captain - Maguire is far too passive as a person and as a footballer.

I was mocked when I first made this thread and I hope those who did are now eating their words. :D

el3mel

My captain plain and simple. This who I call a proper Manchester United captain !

Please make it happen permanently. I don't want anyone else to lead us !

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
My opinion here. He has the profile to be a captain, but it's a mistake to make it now. It will create unecessary noise internally, specialy for those players who already were there way before he arrived. Not even going to mention Maguire, but even Pogba. Why not Rashford for instance?

criticalanalysis

I kind of understand what you mean because I dont really like striker captains or attacking captains - i like my captains to be playing a bit deeper on the pitch so they can see the gameplay as it unfolds from a deeper perspective. Have that ability to influence players in front of them as much as they can influence a few players behind them.

It's also personally why I've made up in my head that defense and midfield ex players tend to be better as managers because they have that feeling of how to build the tempo of the game, how to position themselves as the game unfolds, that view of trying to counter what the opposition does etc.

What if Bruno ends up playing in centre midfield? It's not exactly a new position for him (internationals) and if I remember correctly many of the Portugal league watchers said that this was his position too.

I say this because I have a feeling that Van De Beek may break in to the first 11 soon and if he does then Bruno would be the one adding energy, attacking & defensive abilities (his allround stats are exceptional) and creativity like he already does, but a bit deeper.
Right at the heart of the team.
Yeah, for me, Bruno would have played like he did tonight with or without the captaincy. The 'issue' I have with Bruno potentially becoming the captaincy long term is that it doesn't stop his hero-ball/the ball is a hot potato approach and it might even encourage it. I just made a post in Bruno's thread so I don't want to 'criticise' again but there was numerous instances where he went for the juggler and lost it. There's a balance between 'being creative and creating things' and just letting loose with a final ball when that's even a small chance of success.

I'd much prefer if 'a Fred' was given the captaincy so he could reign in your Brunos/Pogbas/Rashfords/Martials to stop with the excess and then spit fire at the back, to your Lindelofs/Maguires/Shaws/AWB/De Gea to wake the feck up.

I just don't think Bruno/the creative types have this in their make up.

It doesn't have to. Every player has a job and I don't see how being the leader on the pitch stops that.
It's a role that means 'nothing' and 'something' (i.e depending on how the manager or the players hold it accountable) so I agree with you but at the same time, if it's going to be there, we might as well make it mean something to the betterment of the team.

For example, I know this is a very bias and extreme example but Messi being captain of the Barca is a joke as it's not about being the best player/best mentality/hardest worker/insert whatever. I guess what I'm saying is there that there has to be a tactical element along with an ethic along with being inspirational through words and actions.

ForeverRed1

He isn’t afraid to kick the players up the arse when it’s needed. Even in training he’s shouting at players for taking to long on the ball. He’s a sore loser and that’s what you want. Imagine him back in the day in a fergie team :drool: sort of player I could see managing when he retires...

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The bollocks on him with that penalty, passing it into the same spot he had one saved moments before. That’s what it takes to captain United.