The centre-forward market...

sparx99

I know Sesko signed for Leipzig but nothing stopping a deal next summer if we want to pursue it.

BarryWinks

Strangely Atlético de Madrid used to sign and produce quite a few outstanding strikers although they payed a lot for Joao Felix. In the Premier League the last striker I thought was quite good and complete was Raul Jimenez before his injury.
Yeah, I loved pre-injury Jimenez, was my favorite striker outside the top 6 (outside Harry Kane actually). What he lacks in being prolific he more than make up for in intensity and workrate, which are very important values to me. Unfortunately hasn't hit those heights since he came back and teams will probably have reservations about signing him now which is such a big shame.

Great player though.

Dingo

Supports
Haaland
I know Sesko signed for Leipzig but nothing stopping a deal next summer if we want to pursue it.
We need to offer 100 million and get him to our club. He’s the one who has Haaland potential.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
One of our next key areas to address.

The market is not great at present, not only for us, but in general. Chelsea struggled and the best they could come up with to guarantee some goals was a 33 year old. Barcelona could only find a 34 year old. Liverpool gambled very big very early on Nunez. Haaland was a standout striker, but he could only join one team.

Seems the market has suffered somewhat from a transitioning of the role. Every candidate has some question marks. Ideally, you want a striker who can first score 20+ goals. Then you want them to be able to hold the ball up and have good technical ability to link with the rest of the team. You also want speed and intensity and ability to defend from the front. Nobody seems to have all of these things, and teams have to make trade-offs in what they prioritise. Guardiola, for instance, sacrificed the silk and hold-up/link-up ability for the guarantee of 20+ goals from Haaland. I'm sure he'd have rather Haaland had a bit more Kane to his game. But you can't get everything. Klopp made the same trade-off. Nunez is no Firmino.

Who are the best candidates of the next gen, and what are their respective strengths and weaknesses? To get all of the qualities we want - we may need to go big for a young player and try to develop one.

I think Gakpo has potential - he has the size, speed and power, he has link play and can finish - but he's a bit rough still and doesn't necessarily have the killer instinct for 30 goals.

Osimhen is interesting. He has little silk to his game, will struggle with hold up and link play as a result, but he does the most similarities to Haaland in that he is physically a beast with speed, strength and intensity in addition to a good size. He is a good finisher, and can probably excel as one of these 'only had 8 touches but scored twice' type of strikers. Can bully centre-halves.

Sesko potentially has everything you want, although a bit undercooked now. Likely to only become a serious option in two years at least.

I think there's a 20 goal striker in Joao Felix, although he doesn't have the explosive speed.
I don’t see Felix as a striker, more an advanced attacking midfielder.

If he came here to replace Bruno I think he’d rip it up.

To replace Martial / Ronaldo not so much

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Jørgen Strand Larsen at Celta one to keep an eye on this season. Haaland lite. ETH will know him from the Eredivisie.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don’t see Felix as a striker, more an advanced attacking midfielder.

If he came here to replace Bruno I think he’d rip it up.

To replace Martial / Ronaldo not so much
Can be more Kane/Van Persie like for me. Very fine line between a Bruno and a Rooney, and Felix is more the striker side of that line.

macheda14

Hence me saying that he’s not available for at least two years.
Aaah I took that as you saying he wouldn’t be ready for two years if we got him now, which I do think would be the case. My mistake.

Rolaholic

Nkunku would be an absolute dream to pair with our wingers up top and for the same type of bargain fee that Haaland went for.

He'll have his pick of top clubs next summer though so I hope we have a strong season and can offer CL football by then

Tarrou

I think we pretty much have to be in for one of Nkunku or Omishen

ideally we need two and both would be too expensive, so need to be exploring the market

either someone with only one year left, or a release clause, if not a cheaper punt from a smaller league

so one established and one punt

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Nkunku looks good but I worry all the time when most of the goals are from beating the Bundesliga offside trap rather than back to goal.

Still looks nice and technical though.

colombianmancunian

I see 4 viable options and 1 unlikely.

First Oshimen, they are asking crazy money, but I think he is one forward who will enter elite category if things go right for him (parallel to Núñez).

Lautaro Martínez. He is the real deal, and of the youths the only one that really competes with Halaand in numbers and attributes. Very hard to get.

Then we have Felix as false 9. Gives us mobility, and will love to see an interchangeable attack of him, Anthony and Sancho. With crazy money and CL football together with ETH may be able to get him.

Gakpo. Far from the finished article, but if things go right for him, will transition from winger to striker ala Henry or RVP. Worth the risk and ETH looks interested.

The unlikely one: Kane. Has it all, scoring abilities that surpass Halaand, link up play near to Benzema’s level, PL proven…but we don’t know if he is going to renovate with Spurs and competition for him will be high, in case he becomes avaluable.

NICanRed

Is there a centre-back or even a goalkeeper out there who played as a striker in U13 and could be re-imagined as a striker in 2024. Stranger things have happened!
The ready-made article will be expensive and in great demand. Time for some thinking outside the box. (Pun partially intended!)

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
What? Isn't that a bit of a downward move? I thought he looked good and seemed to be one of the highly rated young protects of the league.
I'd say Rennes are in a better spot than Nice, have done some good business this summer and on the up. It's a bit of a sideways move, but could be a good gamble.

meamth

Sir Alex would've signed Mitrovic. He seems hardworking and have the right mentality to fight for results.

Elcabron

Tammy Abraham perhaps? Still fairly young, English, and 17 league goals last season for Roma isn't bad. Decent 1 in 2 striker.
Chelsea should not have sold him. He is pretty decent player and at worst is an excellent squad player who would get 25 plus games a season.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
In terms of Harry Kane I’m vary that there is too much mileage on his clock. When this season is over, he is likely to have played 45 000 minutes of football.

Physically he is no Lewandowski or Ronaldo. And talent wise, he is no Messi. I also think playing in the PL wears harder on a footballers physique than La Liga or Bundesliga (playing for Bayern).

Mynbet is that his form will start falling of around the 50 000 minute mark. Leaving him with more injuries and in a poor condition. I think it was around that time Wayne Rooney peaked. Same with van Persie and quite a few others. Paying a huge amount of money (+ expensive contract) for him in the summer of ‘23 dont really make sense in my opinion due to that risk.

But I’m not sure we mind that risk (or even are aware of it!).

aeh1991

Personally against Nkunku as he is best used as a shadow striker in a two top system. We need a proper center forward. I'd love Lautaro as a complete CF and my second choice would be Mitrovic. Not sure if I'd spend more than 100m on Osimhen.

wolvored

Couldnt we try McNeill? Give him the last 15 mins of a game, see if he can show something. We play Elanga and Rashford wasnt first choice either.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Couldnt we try McNeill? Give him the last 15 mins of a game, see if he can show something. We play Elanga and Rashford wasnt first choice either.
Perhaps... wouldn't be surprised if he got a few mins in dead cl games etc

Think a loan is likley his path to getting game time though.

Always thought Greenwood would end up as a cf ... who knows now

RC89

Nkunku would be an absolute dream to pair with our wingers up top and for the same type of bargain fee that Haaland went for.

He'll have his pick of top clubs next summer though so I hope we have a strong season and can offer CL football by then
If the season falls in our favour I think we stand a reasonable chance for Nkunku.

City - No need
Pool - No need
Chelsea - May not get top 4
Arsenal - I think we can beat them to him
PSG - No need
Barca - No need
Real - May be in for him
Juve - May be in for him
Bayern - May be in for him

wolvored

Perhaps... wouldn't be surprised if he got a few mins in dead cl games etc

Think a loan is likley his path to getting game time though.

Always thought Greenwood would end up as a cf ... who knows now
I think Greenwood will be done here. Even if found not guilty the away fans will have a field day and could affect him. Can see him moving abroad.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Not sure what kind of centre forward ETH wants to play with. If he wants a focal point, someone who can hold up the ball and allow the team to move up the field then DCL might be a good option. If he wants someone who creates for off the ball runners then maybe Nkunku. Either way, there aren’t many top options in the striker market currently.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
If the season falls in our favour I think we stand a reasonable chance for Nkunku.

City - No need
Pool - No need
Chelsea - May not get top 4
Arsenal - I think we can beat them to him
PSG - No need
Barca - No need
Real - May be in for him
Juve - May be in for him
Bayern - May be in for him
PSG may actually be the likeliest destination for him, especially if they don't continue with Messi. He came through their academy and since he's half midfielder, half striker I find it very easy to imagine a fluid front free with Mbappe and Neymar, where he can situationally assume the role that the two big stars need him to.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't think Kane would suit us at all. We don't need a CF who likes to leave the CF position, drop deep, get involved in play and create for others. We need someone who stays advanced, harries the opposition back line and acts as a focal point for the rest of the team to create for.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
PSG may actually be the likeliest destination for him, especially if they don't continue with Messi. He came through their academy and since he's half midfielder, half striker I find it very easy to imagine a fluid front free with Mbappe and Neymar, where he can situationally assume the role that the two big stars need him to.
PSG wants him next season, it's not even secret. And since his dream is to captain PSG...

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Personally against Nkunku as he is best used as a shadow striker in a two top system. We need a proper center forward. I'd love Lautaro as a complete CF and my second choice would be Mitrovic. Not sure if I'd spend more than 100m on Osimhen.
But Lautaro is not playing as a lone center forward either. He is also shadow striker for Lukaku/Džeko. This is fourth season that he is exclusively playing as a part of top two rather than lone forward.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
There is a dearth of quality strikers, anyone agree? There are so many more quality wide forwards (think Salah) than actual #9's.

userman

We should be in for Moussa Dembele from Lyon in the coming windows. Either on the cheap in January or on free transfer in the summer.

flappyjay

I don't think Kane would suit us at all. We don't need a CF who likes to leave the CF position, drop deep, get involved in play and create for others. We need someone who stays advanced, harries the opposition back line and acts as a focal point for the rest of the team to create for.
I think thats precisely why he would fit us. Martial is a similar type of striker the difference is kane would still guarantee 20+ goals whilst helping Sancho, Rashford and Antony push up their numbers.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I see Toney mentioned a few times and I support that but considering he’d come over from Brentford who would struggle to stay up without his contribution and would likely need to spend a lot to even try to replace him, we are probably looking at the region of £80m or more. Not sure he’s worth that. We will probably have to look abroad for someone with higher upside that may not necessarily cost as much.

Skills

Snitch
I see Toney mentioned a few times and I support that but considering he’d come over from Brentford who would struggle to stay up without his contribution and would likely need to spend a lot to even try to replace him, we are probably looking at the region of £80m or more. Not sure he’s worth that. We will probably have to look abroad for someone with higher upside that may not necessarily cost as much.
They also paid circa £40m for him back when they were in the Championship.

He's like Zaha - far more valuable to Brentford than he is to another club. Unless he runs his contract down to a more favourable negotiating position, he won't be leaving Brentford

Edit : Scratch the fee, I don't know who I was thinking of

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Think missing out on Sesko will come back to bite us. He looks like a future world beater although I don’t think he’s ever going to be Haaland like prolific. His pressing and overall game is really impressive though and when combined with his size he’s a potential monster. I really do think Martial is better than the bast majority of strikers on the market. We just need to somehow get him fit and back to his best. I think he will have a good season this campaign.