The centre-forward market...

Edwards6

My feeling is that we won't get him. But if we do it'll be for more than £100m, possibly even £110m. Otherwise Levy won't sell. United will want a quick deal and that puts the power with the seller.

My feeling is it'll be deemed too expensive and we'll move on to someone like Ramos for £80-90m.
The only thing that's giving me hope is the fact he's only got 1 year left on his contract so if he refuses to sign a new one surely they'll have to sell him, even Levy wouldn't be daft enough to turn down £70-80m and let him go free next year

Drizzle

The only thing that's giving me hope is the fact he's only got 1 year left on his contract so if he refuses to sign a new one surely they'll have to sell him, even Levy wouldn't be daft enough to turn down £70-80m and let him go free next year
I genuinely believe that Levy will not sell for under 100m and he'd risk keeping Kane for his final year.

maurinho

Supports
FC Porto
That is true, I do worry about his intensity and consistency. I also like the idea of Leao as the left winger and Rashford as a 9, but Rashford doesn't play well with his back to goal. However I can see the two of them switching constantly and taking turns to engage the opposing CBs, they would be a terror for any defence.
Yes, I think it could be a fantastic partnership. It would also help Bruno because he needs runners, not slow forwards.

I’m also excited to see how Garnacho develops. Lots of potential

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I genuinely believe that Levy will not sell for under 100m and he'd risk keeping Kane for his final year.
I've said this before, there's no incentive for Spurs to sell for less than that. You'd need that to even come close to replacing what he is in their side.

croadyman

I've said this before, there's no incentive for Spurs to sell for less than that. You'd need that to even come close to replacing what he is in their side.
Yeah and then there is him not wanting to go back on his stance of not selling to a Manchester club

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
That is true, I do worry about his intensity and consistency. I also like the idea of Leao as the left winger and Rashford as a 9, but Rashford doesn't play well with his back to goal. However I can see the two of them switching constantly and taking turns to engage the opposing CBs, they would be a terror for any defence.
I tend to think hold up and running behind is an either/or. Very good hold up strikers are not the best at running behind generally. I’d like to think it’s more to the way a team is set up to play that dictate what striker it needs
Leao plays very well off Giroud, even when his starting point is central during games we see the importance of Giroud to making him productive. It will be interesting to how his natural ability transitions into a central striker without a partner.

Bojan Djordjic

Leao played 9 for Sporting before he went to AC Milan and even scored in his debut vs Porto. The thing, though, is that his dribbling and ball carrying are unbelievable and I think you’d be better suited with Leao as the winger and Rashford as the striker.

Leao tends to look lackadaisical and will only track back if he feels like it. He’s a weird player to root for and that’s why he hasn’t cracked the starting 11 for Portugal
That just wouldn't work with Rashford also being a bit workshy off the ball.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Honestly I can't see any forward worth spending 100m+ upon. Kane is the closest to that as he's quality and he fits ETH's system well. However his age is a huge concern. Osimhen is a very decent player but he'll be a punt (the Serie A is way weaker to the EPL) and a very expensive one as well. I believe that we should go for 2 promising forwards. It would increase the chances of at least one succeeding + it will add much needed strength in depth up front. I'd say Hojlund and Jonathan David would do fine.

The White Pele

I think it’s a good market for centre forwards this summer:

Kane, Osimhen, Ramos, Kolo Muani, Hojlund, David, Ferguson etc probably all available for the right price and the likes of Thuram and Moussa Dembele available on a free transfer.

So a range of styles, profiles and different price points for us to go shopping.

mctrials23

Because unless they can get him to sign a new contract they will lose him the season after for nothing. Ignoring him potentially signing a new contract they have 2 outcomes.

1. Sell Kane for £60-70m lets say and reinvest that money in replacing him this summer.

2. Keep Kane for another season, hope hes still motivated and hope that he delivers more value than you lost in not selling him. Watch him leave in the summer, you have no money from his sale and still have to replace him.

It would be foolish for them not to sell him. Levy isn't always sensible however so we will see.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Kane will just sign a renewal for a ludicrous wage and stay at his club until the end of his career.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Because unless they can get him to sign a new contract they will lose him the season after for nothing. Ignoring him potentially signing a new contract they have 2 outcomes.

1. Sell Kane for £60-70m lets say and reinvest that money in replacing him this summer.

2. Keep Kane for another season, hope hes still motivated and hope that he delivers more value than you lost in not selling him. Watch him leave in the summer, you have no money from his sale and still have to replace him.

It would be foolish for them not to sell him. Levy isn't always sensible however so we will see.
Selling him for 60-70m to a league rival is just not an option. Selling him outside the league, is obviously the best option. If not, keeping him is the second best. The literal worst option would be selling him to a league rival.

mctrials23

Selling him for 60-70m to a league rival is just not an option. Selling him outside the league, is obviously the best option. If not, keeping him is the second best. The literal worst option would be selling him to a league rival.
Fair point. I guess I don't see Spurs as a league rival ultimately (despite current league positions). To me, Spurs are at their peak for the foreseeable future. This is where they belong. Hoping to get top 4. United should be competing for the big trophies if we can keep this current momentum going and recruit well.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think we'd be insane to not get one of Osimhen, Kane or Ferguson.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
RKM is my guy now. But I think we also need a second, someone like Dembele or Thuram on a free to come in and be our Choupo-Moting role.

We will likely just get one though. This isn’t a computer game and in reality, it will be extremely difficult to shift Martial, so assuming he is still here I think one striker and a hope for better fitness from Martial is what will happen.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
RKM is my guy now. But I think we also need a second, someone like Dembele or Thuram on a free to come in and be our Choupo-Moting role.

We will likely just get one though. This isn’t a computer game and in reality, it will be extremely difficult to shift Martial, so assuming he is still here I think one striker and a hope for better fitness from Martial is what will happen.
He'd actually be my choice as well, but if the price is really 100m (I'm not convinced), I'm not sure he is still my guy.

croadyman

Mine is still Kane/Osimhen but agree that we need to pick up one of those two free agents too. However like you say there is a strong likelihood we only sign a striker.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He'd actually be my choice as well, but if the price is really 100m (I'm not convinced), I'm not sure he is still my guy.
I think if he’s my guy he’s my guy. And if he’s my guy, and we have 100m to spend on a striker - then I’d be fine with it. He’d definitely be a player I’d have hoped to spend less on, due to a smaller CV and coming from a certain type of club. But for me, he’s not a player I’d be signing in the hope he can be useful. If would be because I think he’s the one. And if he’s the one - then pay it. Market forces. Frankfurt have all the power due to the contract.

I think under normal circumstances, Southampton don’t sell Van Dijk for £75m. For me, at the time, he was never a player you look to spend 75m on. His profile, CV, and club he was at would have him more of a 30-40m signing. The difference was he was Klopp’s guy. He didn’t go elsewhere looking for sensibility, he went with his guy and he surprised everyone probably except Klopp with what he delivered. I don’t think anyone saw him as THAT good before. He wasn’t even a Dutch international at the time I believe.

croadyman

I would say currently its

Top tier

Kane
Osimhen

Second tier

Kolo-Muani
Ramos
Vlahovic
Toney

Third (potential tier)

Hojlund
Ferguson

bucky

It would be insane to pay whatever Osimhen or Kane are going to cost, with everything else we need to do. Ferguson probably won't be cheap either. We don't have an unlimited budget. People should have learnt by now that paying whatever selling clubs demand is not a good policy.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In other positions options are more varied but at CF there are two obvious blue chip targets on the market, followed by several less established players who will also likely cost a (albeit slightly smaller) fortune.

Unless we are extremely convinced that one of those b list options is the absolute perfect fit, I think you just make whichever of the two blue chip guys you prefer the #1 target for the summer and proceed from there, having bought as near a guaranteed an influx of goals into the team as possible.

And while we can argue about Kane v Osimhen, they're such stylistically different players that the manager will hopefully have a clear idea of which better fits his vision.

croadyman

In other positions options are more varied but at CF there are two obvious blue chip targets on the market, followed by several less established players who will also likely cost a (albeit slightly smaller) fortune.

Unless we are extremely convinced that one of those b list options is the absolute perfect fit, I think you just make whichever of the two blue chip guys you prefer the #1 target for the summer and proceed from there, having bought as near a guaranteed an influx of goals into the team as possible.

And while we can argue about Kane v Osimhen, they're such stylistically different players that the manager will hopefully have a clear idea of which better fits his vision.
Yeah those two stand out for me,if we can't get either only then I would look at the second tier options like Ramos/Kolo-Muani

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think if he’s my guy he’s my guy. And if he’s my guy, and we have 100m to spend on a striker - then I’d be fine with it. He’d definitely be a player I’d have hoped to spend less on, due to a smaller CV and coming from a certain type of club. But for me, he’s not a player I’d be signing in the hope he can be useful. If would be because I think he’s the one. And if he’s the one - then pay it. Market forces. Frankfurt have all the power due to the contract.

I think under normal circumstances, Southampton don’t sell Van Dijk for £75m. For me, at the time, he was never a player you look to spend 75m on. His profile, CV, and club he was at would have him more of a 30-40m signing. The difference was he was Klopp’s guy. He didn’t go elsewhere looking for sensibility, he went with his guy and he surprised everyone probably except Klopp with what he delivered. I don’t think anyone saw him as THAT good before. He wasn’t even a Dutch international at the time I believe.
I personally am against such fees in general, as they inevitably are never worth it. I agree it is the price due to Frankfurt holding all the cards, but I don't think we can just keep frivolously over-spending. Everyone lauds clubs that don't make these transfers and ridicule those who do, so I don't really see why we need to.

I also don't think you can point to VVD as evidence as to it working. Plenty of other examples how that hasn't worked. That's also buying someone who was already playing in the league.

Back to RKM, I think his versatility across the front line and effectiveness (I've said before, stuff just seems to happen when he's around) could allow us to overspend on him slightly, but 100m euros is a bit too much with the risks involved.

Hughes35

Exactly this.

Absolutely must land one of them.

Average players are going for 40-50 Million in the modern era so 80Million on Kane or 60Million on Ferguson is a no brainer .It's not like we even have average striker we can get by with and save some cash, we literally have nobody. Martial is Injured and WW isn't even a PL level player.

CantonaManc

See where they play, how they play, if they play..
Supports
ETH's tricky reds
Still don't get the hype about that Ferguson lad, why most of the fan base like him cuz he said that he is Man United fanor because he has 2 goals in the last 2 weeks i don't understand he can work only for back-up striker and he is nothing special we need proven Striker who can guarantee us at least 15 goals, don't wanna see more Ferguson in conversion with Kane,Osimhen etc ..

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Still don't get the hype about that Ferguson lad, why most of the fan base like him cuz he said that he is Man United fanor because he has 2 goals in the last 2 weeks i don't understand he can work only for back-up striker and he is nothing special we need proven Striker who can guarantee us at least 15 goals, don't wanna see more Ferguson in conversion with Kane,Osimhen etc ..
Nobody is saying he's at their level but he's got lots of potential. Not sure why you can't see that. He's got very mature finishing for his age and has scored various types of goals.

It would be a 'ready made striker' plus Ferguson in the dream scenario.

CantonaManc

See where they play, how they play, if they play..
Supports
ETH's tricky reds
Nobody is saying he's at their level but he's got lots of potential. Not sure why you can't see that. He's got very mature finishing for his age and has scored various types of goals.

It would be a 'ready made striker' plus Ferguson in the dream scenario.
Maybe he is good for "plus Ferguson" but in my opinion United in the last 7 or 8 years or more haven't got World Class striker and for our caliber this is too much time, we tried with Lukaku it didn't work afterwards loan spells and short term contracts for some strikers, our board is too incompetent we need to splash big once for all and get top ST on whom we can build around no more messing around. That's why i can't see that , don't get me wrong i want too back up striker with potential but the time is not right, we need to get things right for once god damn it and lets hope this summer we do it like the "BIG" boys and afterwards we can go in the market for strikers like Ferguson.

Bojan Djordjic

Spurs need a rebuild now and they are better off taking the 70/80mn now in order to do that.
I would say currently its

Top tier

Kane
Osimhen

Second tier

Kolo-Muani
Ramos
Vlahovic
Toney

Third (potential tier)

Hojlund
Ferguson
Personally think Hjolund and Ferguson will outstrip all those second tier guys in the next season or so. Don't really think Vlahovic belongs in that second tier either.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I like how people have come to realise there are actually strikers out there. At times it feels like the club depend on journalists to do their scouting.

I want a RVN type signing. He is out there let them scouts do their job because this manager is not lazy and will pride himself in moulding the next great striker.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Spurs need a rebuild now and they are better off taking the 70/80mn now in order to do that.

Personally think Hjolund and Ferguson will outstrip all those second tier guys in the next season or so. Don't really think Vlahovic belongs in that second tier either.
What's 60/70m going to do for a rebuild if you've given a rival such a head start by giving them your best player?

Barthez

What's 60/70m going to do for a rebuild if you've given a rival such a head start by giving them your best player?
Or Kane could sign for United for free the season after and Levy gets nothing at all. Player holds all the cards here.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Or Kane could sign for United for free the season after and Levy gets nothing at all. Player holds all the cards here.
We will move on if we can't sign him in the summer. We can't wait another summer to address the striker situation.

Pickle85

Exactly this.

Absolutely must land one of them.

Average players are going for 40-50 Million in the modern era so 80Million on Kane or 60Million on Ferguson is a no brainer .It's not like we even have average striker we can get by with and save some cash, we literally have nobody. Martial is Injured and WW isn't even a PL level player.
60 million on Ferguson is crazy money given how little he's proved imo. My money is on him being a midtable prem striker at best in a few seasons.

AnotherLondonManc

60 million on Ferguson is crazy money given how little he's proved imo. My money is on him being a midtable prem striker at best in a few seasons.
I actually don't think 60 will do it. Brighton are surely pretty confident they have a star on their hands who is only likely to improve. He's already a regular starter who they'd need to replace, and they're not desperate for money.

His stock is sky high right now. They won't entertain anything less than £70m, especially if it's United.

Teja

Let's be honest the difference is the CL money nothing else. Keep Kane, potentially finish top four next season and get CL the year after or lose Kane and lose CL. He's only going to be relevant for 3 seasons or so. It's not like they're selling Modric or Bale at their peak and they'll be hamstrung by that for the next 5+ years.

The CL qualification money is not 60-70M.

If I was Levy, would sell for around 80M to domestic rivals and 60-70 abroad. They should just go for Ferguson or someone like that with that money and build for life after Kane.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'm not convinced Kane alone is going to take us up the level we need to compete with City so spending a 100m on him doesn't really makes sense to me. There's better value out there. We need a Licha type of signing but in the striker position. Someone who can do the job but still have the potential to be performing at the highest level for the next few years.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Let's be honest the difference is the CL money nothing else. Keep Kane, potentially finish top four next season and get CL the year after or lose Kane and lose CL. He's only going to be relevant for 3 seasons or so. It's not like they're selling Modric or Bale at their peak and they'll be hamstrung by that for the next 5+ years.

The CL qualification money is not 60-70M.

If I was Levy, would sell for around 80M to domestic rivals and 60-70 abroad. They should just go for Ferguson or someone like that with that money and build for life after Kane.
I think people aren't taking into account how far that would push us or someone like Chelsea for that matter, away from themselves. Sure they get a bit of cash, but they'd have to spend double that to try and get back ahead of the team they just sold to.

Also, the notion that Brighton - a team that didn't sell caicedo for 60-70m, would sell their potential striker for the next decade for anything less than 100m, is for the birds!

AneRu

The decision on which striker to sign and how much to commit to that signing will be a difficult one considering our financial position and the team's needs. I don't think its a easy as ETH saying I like this striker and will spend a fortune on him no matter what.

We need a striker, a couple of midfielders, a rightback and, possibly, a goalkeeper. I have left out the back up CB because I feel that we could either keep Maguire or use funds from his sale to fund the signing of his replacement. So suppose a Goncalo Ramos costs £80m whilst the top two choices are over £100m - that's an at least £30m diffenrece that could fund the acquisition of a back up DM, for example.

I have seen posters say Martial will be difficult to shift on his wages and that factor will also play into the decision unless of course if Napoli/Spurs could a accept him in a part exchange. Don't see why they would though. But ETH likes him so there's a chance that he will buy a younger project striker to come in as a starter but who is not yet established such that Martial will rotate in when fit. That's why I think that if we can agree on a reasonable fee for Ramos or RKM then that's who we will go for especially if the fees are below £80m.