The centre-forward market...

L1nk

You're suggesting we buy this guy as our main striker ? I thought you mentioned before he would be a developmental player (presumably instead of a proven commodity like Kane).
That might have been me that said that. I said preferably we'd buy him as a developmental player, especially considering we have just lacked proper strikers for a good long while now. The issue we may find is because he's a cheaper option he may actually be a main striker because I can't fathom us spending upwards of 100million on Kane or Osimhen when we clearly need to upgrade in other areas too.

Signing Kane or Osimhen is obviously preferable though, signing Kane or Osimhen AND someone like Hojlund is the dream that is just a fantasy I think

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You're suggesting we buy this guy as our main striker ? I thought you mentioned before he would be a developmental player (presumably instead of a proven commodity like Kane).
We won’t develop him by benching him. We are developing him by playing him, while he’s developing his finishing or end product, his current ability to bring others into play can still be benefit for other players in our team.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That might have been me that said that. I said preferably we'd buy him as a developmental player, especially considering we have just lacked proper strikers for a good long while now. The issue we may find is because he's a cheaper option he may actually be a main striker because I can't fathom us spending upwards of 100million on Kane or Osimhen when we clearly need to upgrade in other areas too.

Signing Kane or Osimhen is obviously preferable though, signing Kane or Osimhen AND someone like Hojlund is the dream that is just a fantasy I think
I think there's a lot of risk in buying a guy who has never demonstrated he can score 10 goals in a season. Unless the scouts and manager think a guy is the next RvN, then I think we will always skew towards the proven, experienced alternative like Kane.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We won’t develop him by benching him. We are developing him by playing him, while he’s developing his finishing or end product, his current ability to bring others into play can still be benefit for other players in our team.
See my post above. I can't see the United striker role as being a developmental one for a player who clearly lacks experience, at a critical time when the club needs a proven reliable commodity who has already demonstrated he can do it year in year out.

Camilo

Another Martial then?

Theonas

Scout
I don't think we necessarily need a typical number 9 but if we go for one, I really don't see the point if they are not already established. It's a position like GK and holding midfielder that has no support and one you could least afford to give exclusively to a developing talent when you are trying to compete. I can't think of many examples of top teams buying a "promising" number 9 as the main guy and it working out.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don't think we necessarily need a typical number 9 but if we go for one, I really don't see the point if they are not already established. It's a position like GK and holding midfielder that has no support and one you could least afford to give exclusively to a developing talent when you are trying to compete. I can't think of many examples of top teams buying a "promising" number 9 as the main guy and it working out.
Kane aside, there are no options who are already established to a level where you would not have concerns about how they might perform at this level. We need a striker regardless. If it’s not Kane, it simply has to be one that we believe in.

Theonas

Scout
Kane aside, there are no options who are already established to a level where you would not have concerns about how they might perform at this level. We need a striker regardless. If it’s not Kane, it simply has to be one that we believe in.
It depends what we're looking for from the striker in my opinion. No one said that to be a successful team, you need a striker that scores goals. What you need is goals and that can come in a number of ways. City, Liverpool and this year Arsenal proved you don't need goalscoring number 9 to score a high amount of goals. If we get someone to mainly function an outlet for the wingers and attacking midfielders like Firmino did for Liverpool or Jesus for Arsenal this year, then that opens up lot of possibilities and we can go with someone unproven. If we want three interchaging dynamic front three the way many teams do it, then we might be well served to buy another attacking winger like Leão or such and have a multi dimenstial attack. But if we look for the goals from this said number 9 which is a rarity in modern football anyway, then I really think he needs to be proven as it's a responsability that someone young and developing just can't handle. Very, very few number 9s can do that in the modern game.

Erik the Red

How much flexibility do you think we will have to sign developmental players who cost quite a bit of money at a time when our transfer budget is limited and we badly need a proper (expensive) striker ?
There appear to be only three "experienced", proven strikers who may be available in the summer. They cost around £200m (Mbappe), £150m (Osimhen) or £100m (30 yr old Kane). There is no giarantee that we will be able to attract any of these, as their current clubs may refuse to sell, and there is so much competition. £100m+ signings are incredibly risky, as they will blow the majority of the transfer budget, they often don't work out, and then you are stuck with an unhappy superstar unsettling the team. City did brilliantly getting Haaland so cheap, and we need to do the same. How about Thuram and Hojlund in the Summer, and Osimhen in 2025, all for £50m.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
There appear to be only three "experienced", proven strikers who may be available in the summer. They cost around £200m (Mbappe), £150m (Osimhen) or £100m (30 yr old Kane). There is no giarantee that we will be able to attract any of these, as their current clubs may refuse to sell, and there is so much competition. £100m+ signings are incredibly risky, as they will blow the majority of the transfer budget, they often don't work out, and then you are stuck with an unhappy superstar unsettling the team. City did brilliantly getting Haaland so cheap, and we need to do the same. How about Thuram and Hojlund in the Summer, and Osimhen in 2025, all for £50m.
Not sure if the prices you quote above are entirely accurate. What I am sure of is that we need a reliable goal scorer, so that will be almost certainly be prioritized over the cheap, developmental player of the moment.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
See my post above. I can't see the United striker role as being a developmental one for a player who clearly lacks experience, at a critical time when the club needs a proven reliable commodity who has already demonstrated he can do it year in year out.
We are still in rebuilding stage, we aren’t in the final stage of signing RVP then we will win the league. We can always sign Osimhen or Kane or even Toney in 2024 when they can be available much much cheaper. The striker market this summer is just not suitable.

Look at arsenal, Arteta got 8 new players to get the balance right. To achieved it, he didn't spend 100m on a single player, but instead signing and using young players to develop. Club can spend a 100m on a single player if they have the budget or if they are only 1-2 players away but not when they are in the situation need so many holes to cover.

Therefore, when you look at our situation and the striker market situation, that’s why Hojlund name is mentioned.

Erik the Red

Not sure if the prices you quote above are entirely accurate. What I am sure of is that we need a reliable goal scorer, so that will be almost certainly be prioritized over the cheap, developmental player of the moment.
We are competing over Mbappe, Osimhen and Kane with Chelsea, Bayern and Real Madrid, as a guess, and if Mbappe goes to Madrid, then PSG will also be in the mix for the other two. There are not enough experienced, proven strikers for all of the big, rich teams. I am not convinced that any of those three are ideal for our style. Kane doesn't press enough (and is c.30), Osimhen is not great at the creative side, and Mbappe is better off the left where Rashford plays. It's not obvious that we should spend fortunes on those strikers, when they may not be the right fit (and could be available in 12-24 months for free), and less experienced strikers like Hojlund, Sesko, Ferguson, Vitor Roque or Ramos may be a better fit and much cheaper.

Maybe ETH will pick up an experienced, proven, but lesser known striker, and all will become clear.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We are still in rebuilding stage, we aren’t in the final stage of signing RVP then we will win the league. We can always sign Osimhen or Kane or even Toney in 2024 when they can be available much much cheaper. The striker market this summer is just not suitable.

Look at arsenal, Arteta got 8 new players to get the balance right. To achieved it, he didn't spend 100m on a single player, but instead signing and using young players to develop. Club can spend a 100m on a single player if they have the budget or if they are only 1-2 players away but not when they are in the situation need so many holes to cover.

Therefore, when you look at our situation and the striker market situation, that’s why Hojlund name is mentioned.
I disagree that we are not in the final stages. Look at Arsenal - they were 5th last year and less than 12 months later are within a whisker of winning the league. Their primary addition last summer was Jesus. They added a few other prominent signings to accompany him, just as we would if we bought the likes of Kane.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I disagree that we are not in the final stages. Look at Arsenal - they were 5th last year and are within a whisker of winning the league. Their primary addition last summer was Jesus. They added a few other prominent signings to accompany him, just as we would if we bought the likes of Kane.
Arteta didn’t just sign Jesus to build his team. He has whole new team, coach them, and develop them. You can’t be thinking that ten Hag can use the same keeper, the same McFred, Maguire & Lindelof, and the same right back, and just blow the 100m budget to get Kane with 300k-350k wages and it’s enough. Jesus couldn’t even start ahead of Richarlison in national team, yet Arteta didn’t need Kane’s caliber of striker to challenge the league, why? Because he has a team that can function properly not because finishing 5th last season.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Arteta didn’t just sign Jesus to build his team. He has whole new team, coach them, and develop them. You can’t be thinking that ten Hag can use the same keeper, the same McFred, Maguire & Lindelof, and the same right back, and just blow the 100m budget to get Kane with 300k-350k wages and it’s enough. Jesus couldn’t even start ahead of Richarlison in national team, yet Arteta didn’t need Kane’s caliber of striker to challenge the league, why? Because he has a team that can function properly not because finishing 5th last season.
Yeah but remember, you're making the case of for Hojlund, a player who has literally never scored 10 goals in a season in Italy (never mind in a harder league as England) to build a team around. At least with Kane, you do get some degree of a guarantee that the player can knock in 30 goals (he's averaged 30 over the past 9 seasons). Therefore, there's little reason to buy a completely unproved player when one of the best strikers in the world is available.

Siorac

I disagree that we are not in the final stages. Look at Arsenal - they were 5th last year and less than 12 months later are within a whisker of winning the league. Their primary addition last summer was Jesus. They added a few other prominent signings to accompany him, just as we would if we bought the likes of Kane.
The big difference is that Arsenal have a pretty young squad, with several key players in their early twenties: Saka, Martinelli, Odegaard, Saliba (who was pretty much a new signing for this season, having spent the previous two out on loan). Their maturing played a big part in Arsenal's improvement.

We don't really have the same. Of the important senior players, Sancho and Antony are the only really young ones - Bruno Fernandes or Casemiro aren't going to suddenly improve significantly. Sancho's not looking good and there are question marks over Antony. Not to mention that we have too many players who are simply very limited on the ball, a key problem in our squad, and another problem that Arsenal don't have, thanks to a more focused recruitment.

We aren't a Harry Kane away from competing for the league. We're not even a Harry Kane plus 2-3 good signings away. We are 6-7 signings and loads of coaching work away. It'll take years.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The big difference is that Arsenal have a pretty young squad, with several key players in their early twenties: Saka, Martinelli, Odegaard, Saliba (who was pretty much a new signing for this season, having spent the previous two out on loan). Their maturing played a big part in Arsenal's improvement.

We don't really have the same. Of the important senior players, Sancho and Antony are the only really young ones - Bruno Fernandes or Casemiro aren't going to suddenly improve significantly. Sancho's not looking good and there are question marks over Antony. Not to mention that we have too many players who are simply very limited on the ball, a key problem in our squad, and another problem that Arsenal don't have, thanks to a more focused recruitment.

We aren't a Harry Kane away from competing for the league. We're not even a Harry Kane plus 2-3 good signings away. We are 6-7 signings and loads of coaching work away. It'll take years.
Yeah but there's no evidence that more youth is some sort of proven catalyst to success. Madrid are still dominating Europe with aging players like Benzema, Modric, and Kroos. Arsenal's success this year is because Arteta got the balance right in terms of the specific profile of players he has to implement the tactics and ethos he wants, not because a few of his players are young.

Going back to Kane, we would definitely be in the league race this year if we had a healthy Kane as our striker this year, as it would've aleviated a lot of the goal pressure the likes of Rashford, Sancho, Anthony, and Bruno have had to take on in order to keep us competitive, and excepting Rashford, largely failing in the process. Having a top striker would''ve therefore been a complete game changer in the trajectory of ETH's first year. Its now up to him to correct that this summer, which likely won't involve some flavor of the moment striker who has yet to score 10 goals in a season.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yeah but remember, you're making the case of for Hojlund, a player who has literally never scored 10 goals in a season in Italy (never mind in a harder league as England) to build a team around. At least with Kane, you do get some degree of a guarantee that the player can knock in 30 goals (he's averaged 30 over the past 9 seasons). Therefore, there's little reason to buy a completely unproved player when one of the best strikers in the world is available.
I made the case of the reason why Hojlund‘s name is mentioned as summer 2023 striker signing due to us need to strengthening lot of areas and the current striker market this summer isn’t ideal with our budget. Furthermore, I said his technical attribute could be useful to bring others into play. This will allow us to spend other money on other areas to build a team that can function properly and wait to 2024 to sign Kane or Osimhen or even Toney when they can be available for cheaper or for more reasonable price.

Siorac

Yeah but there's no evidence that more youth is some sort of catalyst to success. Madrid are still dominating Europe with aging players like Benzema, Modric, and Kroos. Arsenal's success this year is because Arteta got the balance right in terms of the specific profile of players he has to implement the tactics and ethos he wants, not because a few of his players are young.

Going back to Kane, we would definitely be in the league race this year if we had a healthy Kane as our striker this year, as it would've aleviated a lot of the goal pressure the likes of Rashford, Sancho, Anthony, and Bruno have had to take on in order to keep us competitive, and excepting Rashford, largely failing in the process. Having a top striker would''ve therefore been a complete game changer in the trajectory of ETH's first year. Its now up to him to correct that this summer, which likely won't involve some flavor of the moment striker who has yet to score 10 goals in a season.
The point isn't that young players are a guarantee of success. It's that a young team is more likely to suddenly improve massively simply because the young talents are maturing. A team full of established players in or past their prime are less likely to be elevated by just a couple of signings.

To use a United example: summer of 2006. Signing Carrick (and of course Tomasz Kuszczak!) was undoubtedly important but Rooney and particularly Ronaldo starting to living up to their potential were the main catalysts in taking that team to the next level (of course, that team was already a lot closer to the top than the current one).

This time we are a dysfunctional team light years away from the top, we don't really have promising young talents on the verge of maturing into top players (Sancho doesn't seem to have it, it's too early for Garnacho, there's literally no one in midfield or at the back). We aren't going to bridge the gap in one summer.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The point isn't that young players are a guarantee of success. It's that a young team is more likely to suddenly improve massively simply because the young talents are maturing. A team full of established players in or past their prime are less likely to be elevated by just a couple of signings.

To use a United example: summer of 2006. Signing Carrick (and of course Tomasz Kuszczak!) was undoubtedly important but Rooney and particularly Ronaldo starting to living up to their potential were the main catalysts in taking that team to the next level (of course, that team was already a lot closer to the top than the current one).

This time we are a dysfunctional team light years away from the top, we don't really have promising young talents on the verge of maturing into top players (Sancho doesn't seem to have it, it's too early for Garnacho, there's literally no one in midfield or at the back). We aren't going to bridge the gap in one summer.
Ok, I buy that as well. But that's different argument than whether or not Hojlund is an appropriate fit for United. The player is clearly unproven at the highest levels so it would be a massively risky leap of faith to suggest that he's the guy to lead us to a league title, especially when actual proven strikers are available.

Last edited:

Bojan Djordjic

Yeah but there's no evidence that more youth is some sort of proven catalyst to success. Madrid are still dominating Europe with aging players like Benzema, Modric, and Kroos. Arsenal's success this year is because Arteta got the balance right in terms of the specific profile of players he has to implement the tactics and ethos he wants, not because a few of his players are young.

It's not that youth is a catalyst for success, it's that it allows you continuity when developing a squad. When you buy proven post prime players, you are normally paying them high salaries, big fees and you have a very small window of time to achieve things before they have to be replaced. This is fine under certain circumstances e.g. you are a complete team with one/two glaring weaknesses that need to be addressed.

When you buy younger players, they are typically paid less and there's a good chance they improve as players and have time to gel with the team's chemistry. If they don't work out, they can be sold. As bad a buy as Van de Beek has been, we should still be able to recoup half his value which can be reinvested back into the team. When Casemiro's contract finishes, we will likely get none of his €70mn transfer fee back which isn't a sustainable way to do transfers over time especially when our entire spine (De Gea, Varane, Casemiro, Bruno, Weghorst) will require replacing all at the same time.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's not that youth is a catalyst for success, it's that it allows you continuity when developing a squad. When you buy proven post prime players, you are normally paying them high salaries, big fees and you have a very small window of time to achieve things before they have to be replaced. This is fine under certain circumstances e.g. you are a complete team with one/two glaring weaknesses that need to be addressed.

When you buy younger players, they are typically paid less and there's a good chance they improve as players and have time to gel with the team's chemistry. If they don't work out, they can be sold. As bad a buy as Van de Beek has been, we should still be able to recoup half his value which can be reinvested back into the team. When Casemiro's contract finishes, we will likely get none of his €70mn transfer fee back which isn't a sustainable way to do transfers over time especially when our entire spine (De Gea, Varane, Casemiro, Bruno, Weghorst) will require replacing all at the same time.
Can't disagree with that, but would you have made a similar argument against buying RvP a decade ago, or even Barca pursuing Lewandowski a year ago?

Last edited:

Bojan Djordjic

Can't disagree with that, but would you have made a similar argument against buying RvP a decade ago, or even Barca pursuing Lewandowski a year ago?
No because I think for United, the league just wasn't as competitive back then, we still had that winning culture and RVP's goals were enough to fire us home (also he was cheap). I definitely don't think we should be aspiring to the Barcelona transfer model if we are going to be serious. The impacts of that transfer very much remain to be seen.

Hakara

Supports
Bayern München
I'm curious where Osimhen ends up. There are so many clubs looking for a striker at the moment. Bayern, Chelsea, United, Real (likely soon 1-2 seasons), Tottenham if Kane leaves (which might be to one of the other teams I've noted).

Bojan Djordjic

I'm curious where Osimhen ends up. There are so many clubs looking for a striker at the moment. Bayern, Chelsea, United, Real (likely soon 1-2 seasons), Tottenham if Kane leaves (which might be to one of the other teams I've noted).
Think Bayern are zoning in on Muani so likely he will go there and don't see Osimhen signing for Real the same summer they buy Bellingham. If he does move, it'll be between ourselves and Chelsea although its probably as likely he'll stay with Napoli given the season they've just had, the potential for what the team can do and of course the difficulty for any team negotiating with the owner.

FerociousCorgis

Think Bayern are zoning in on Muani so likely he will go there and don't see Osimhen signing for Real the same summer they buy Bellingham. If he does move, it'll be between ourselves and Chelsea although its probably as likely he'll stay with Napoli given the season they've just had, the potential for what the team can do and of course the difficulty for any team negotiating with the owner.
wouldnt be the worst thing if both osimhen and kane are taken off the table for us this window. Might actually make us scout for a good talent that is also attainable without wasting the entire window/budget on.

JuriM

I am not 100% sure, but hard to see Oshimen to want to leave Napoli just yet, they have good squad, amazing atmosphere and no need to sell. Why not try to gun for CL next season and see what future brings him then.

Abraxas

For me players of the category of Hojland and Ramos are the most interesting. Toney would have been somewhat interesting, probably less so for me but ultimately there are too many doubts around him anyway. I don't think they have the ready made quality of Harry Kane or Osimhen, that's clear. They probably need some refinement, especially in the case of Hojland who I think would be a real project over the next few years. Ramos looks more like a box player that probably would need some work on his overall game in the PL.

But I think it is really important to look at the overall market and what we can achieve with our squad. For me blowing our load on a striker and having no control of games, a keeper that is unsuitable and not performing, a defence that is an injury away from stand ins that generally havn't been good enough in the case of Lindelof, or relying on moving Luke Shaw and vacating any quality at left back is not a squad that can compete over the full season in all competitions. That's not even mentioning right back where we have question marks, and by all accounts ETH would like somebody else there.

I think it might be the best thing to get somebody that isn't ready made, but they're one step away if we can bring the best out of them and crucially improve the squad so we're creating better quality chances. We are not a Harry Kane or Osimhen away from being a top team, not by any stretch. These strikers are still going to massively upgrade Anthony Martial and Weghorst.

L1nk

Just had a thought as well, because Ramos has been one of the names linked if we cannot get Kane or Osimhen. How do people feel about Ramos? I understand the hesitation on Hojlund as I have my reservations too but..

Ramos is 21, has scored 25 goals this season in 41 appearences, but last year when he was 20 he only scored 8 goals in 46 appearences

Hojlund is 20 with 8 goals in 30 appearences

Last season we'd have likely being saying absolutely not to Ramos, but now I feel like we'd be eager.
It's not as if Ramos was firing on all cylinders last season, even though he's in a way better team, and it's not unreasonable to suggest Hojlund could have the same upward trajectory with better players around him like Fernandes feeding him, of course he could also fall flat on his ass.

Just a little food for thought!

Abraxas

Just had a thought as well, because Ramos has been one of the names linked if we cannot get Kane or Osimhen. How do people feel about Ramos? I understand the hesitation on Hojlund as I have my reservations too but..

Ramos is 21, has scored 25 goals this season in 41 appearences, but last year when he was 20 he only scored 8 goals in 46 appearences

Last season we'd have likely being saying absolutely not to Ramos, but now I feel like we'd be eager.
It's not as if Ramos was firing on all cylinders last season, even though he's in a way better team, and it's not unreasonable to suggest Hojlund could have the same upward trajectory with better players around him like Fernandes feeding him, of course he could also fall flat on his ass.

It's fair to say based on those statistics Ramos is the more proven goalscorer. That's definitely a thing. Albeit in a top side in a weaker league, versus being in a fairly mediocre Italian side.

We'd need pretty great analysis and scouting on Hojland to extrapolate what he can do though. Not only would we have to envisage him stepping up those numbers, he also has to do it for Man Utd in the PL which is a completely different ballgame. So there's probably even more uncertainty within that equation than there is with Ramos.

FerociousCorgis

For me players of the category of Hojland and Ramos are the most interesting. Toney would have been somewhat interesting, probably less so for me but ultimately there are too many doubts around him anyway. I don't think they have the ready made quality of Harry Kane or Osimhen, that's clear. They probably need some refinement, especially in the case of Hojland who I think would be a real project over the next few years. Ramos looks more like a box player that probably would need some work on his overall game in the PL.

But I think it is really important to look at the overall market and what we can achieve with our squad. For me blowing our load on a striker and having no control of games, a keeper that is unsuitable and not performing, a defence that is an injury away from stand ins that generally havn't been good enough in the case of Lindelof, or relying on moving Luke Shaw and vacating any quality at left back is not a squad that can compete over the full season in all competitions. That's not even mentioning right back where we have question marks, and by all accounts ETH would like somebody else there.

I think it might be the best thing to get somebody that isn't ready made, but they're one step away if we can bring the best out of them and crucially improve the squad so we're creating better quality chances. We are not a Harry Kane or Osimhen away from being a top team, not by any stretch. These strikers are still going to massively upgrade Anthony Martial and Weghorst.
this is exactly what i want. We need to find the NEXT kane/osimhen, not just overspend on the current one and still be looking at a shit squad.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Signing him will be for the purpose to develop him to be part of the rebuilding project. It’s not for purpose to be the finishing article. While he will develop his end product, his current technical attribute will be valuable to others as he’s the kind of striker that can bring others into play.
How do you know all this if you never watch him, as you said?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Ramos wasn't being used centrally last season, was he? I was under the impression he only became their #9 once Nunez left, which explains the sudden uptick in returns.

But yeah, stats-wise he's the most impressive.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
this is exactly what i want. We need to find the NEXT kane/osimhen, not just overspend on the current one and still be looking at a shit squad.
The current Osimhen is only 24. Top teams don’t need to look for the ‘next’ Osimhen at all.

Bojan Djordjic

This is normal progression at that age. Unless you're Haaland, you don't come out of the womb banging 30 goals a season. Mo Salah was only scoring 5 goals or something at that age and only started racking up big numbers in his mid twenties.

L1nk

This is normal progression at that age. Unless you're Haaland, you don't come out of the womb banging 30 goals a season. Mo Salah was only scoring 5 goals or something at that age and only started racking up big numbers in his mid twenties.
Yeah for sure, my point was that Hojlund could hit the same progression that Ramos has done this season at a cheaper price, but it would be a risk