The centre-forward market...

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We should put a bid in for Harry Kane. Not that we’ll get him but it will unsettle him and ruin spurs chances of catching us up, The type of thing I do on Fm. :lol:

NoPace

Gouiri seems like the most logical signing as a #9 that we never hear the media (or people in here much) talk about.

22 years old, really good record for France at youth level, scored 12 and 10 the last 2 years (age 20 and 21) and now at 22 he's looking like he'll hit 15 for the first time.

He's not very big, but set up 2 goals today, one with a brilliant back heel after a good run in behind, and the 2nd by dropping deep into the half space and passing through the lines, then drawing a defender by running through. The latter type of play is what we ask Martial to do a lot and what Cristiano was just terrible at.

Would be a risk in terms of physique for a #9 you would think, but his record is more consistent at a younger age than Kolo Muani or Thuram, and he's technically better than both from what I've seen. Probably not the ideal guy to share time with Martial as they're somewhat similar (Gouiri is more nimble, Martial stronger but not wildly different), but I do wonder if he'll move to another club and we'll regret it. Any Ligue 1 fans got thoughts?

NoPace

How about Dominic solanke? I feel like he is primed to explode if someone takes a chance on him. If we buy him, we can go big for midfield, RB and goalkeeper next year
I've watched him closely this year, he's a tough one to judge.

Mobile, strong and works hard, but often drifts a bit through games. They've been starting Moore so he plays out left a lot, and they have the least creativity in the league I think, since Billing plays furthest forward in midfield and looks to score goals more than create them, Cook is neat but doesn't seem to have a killer ball in him very often, their other winger, Tavernier, is great at carrying the ball but a Champo player otherwise, and they're also mostly just defending.

I'd guess 25-30M if they go down, he's got 3 seasons left after this one so they can keep him for another promotion run, he'd have to want out as I don't believe they're in financial trouble, though rumour is they're spending 20M in January and from the Champo so pretty calm buys that make sense even if they go down. Would cost more if they don't, obviously.

He doesn't have the obvious weaknesses of most of the targets at his level, but he lacks the sort of consistent threat you see from the best guys at his vague sort of striker for the team in 14th-20th sort of place level, like Puuki, Bamford or Watkins, where you feel like they'll find a chance during a game, though again most of the time I've seen him, Moore has been in the way.

I think he'd be a good signing for Brighton as a sort of do it all #9 like Welbeck is, someone who can be an aerial threat but also run the channels and link up. They'll probably buy foreign for the value, but yeah, I think he's just a shade too unthreatening, though a striker having to play out of position on a team providing maybe the least service in the league, after a great season (overshadowed by Mitrovic, but 29 in 46 in the Champo really is pretty impressive, it's not a bad league anymore) on a 25 year old who needed time to grow into his height but was highly rated as a youth and seems to have no major off field issues does seem like a logical buy low opportunity.

TLDR: Hard to say because of his context, but maybe doesn't quite threaten enough for me to think he's good enough for us, more so a signing for Brighton or maybe Brentford if Toney leaves.

NoPace

Just can't see him moving until the summer,not necessarily a guide but worrying he's a weak passer and caught offside too often
He looked really slow (playing out of position on the right but still running is running) for Serbia at the World Cup, but I believe he was injured. Caught offside doesn't super worry me since we ask our #9 to drop deep a fair bit and combine, but weak passer seems like a real problem.

Bojan Djordjic

How about Dominic solanke? I feel like he is primed to explode if someone takes a chance on him. If we buy him, we can go big for midfield, RB and goalkeeper next year
No chance, he's 25 and if he was ever to have exploded he'd have done it by now. He has very poor underlying numbers compared to some of the other short-term options like Thuram, Memphis and Morata. All these guys are more proven at the top level and would also facilitate the same spending elsewhere.

Speako

If the current performance trends continue in the PM, Harry Kane will leave Spurs in the summer. A year left on his contract at that stage, and it will be then or never for both the player and for the club to cash in. I think both will look for that to happen and wouldn’t be surprised if United are already sounding this out.
Of course, Levy selling to a rival club….? He may have no choice, unless Bayern front up some cash. It would be a risk given his age, but look at Casemiro and Eriksen. From Martial and nobody to Kane and Thuram, no brainier for me.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
If the current performance trends continue in the PM, Harry Kane will leave Spurs in the summer. A year left on his contract at that stage, and it will be then or never for both the player and for the club to cash in. I think both will look for that to happen and wouldn’t be surprised if United are already sounding this out.
Of course, Levy selling to a rival club….? He may have no choice, unless Bayern front up some cash. It would be a risk given his age, but look at Casemiro and Eriksen. From Martial and nobody to Kane and Thuram, no brainier for me.
"Rival Club" - behave!

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Wait, why would you want a cancer in the dressing room when we've just gotten rid of one and seen how damaging his presence has been?
You tell me, never said we should get him. But he is surely available, even on a loan, I.e. on the “Transfer forward market” like the thread title says.

I don’t want him, it’s up to Ten Hag to decide who to get, the pool of strikers available on loan for free in January, won’t be big. There is no guarantee Memphis will be available. If we did get him, yes he is talented but he has also been a cancer his previous teams.

At the same time, for the sake of completeness, anyone that ever spent a lot of time in a locker room knows that with these types, there is a pecking order, a hiarchy. Bet this guy thinks the world of himself and that he is too good for sitting on the bench for perhaps the worst PL team. He was actually good last year for Watford. But bring him into our locker room — with leaders like Casemiro, someone more talented than him in Rashford — and so forth, like sometimes it works out. And honestly, I think a Messi or Mbappe or Neymar could disrupt our locker room. I am not afraid at all that a nobody like Dennis would have an impact on anyone other than himself.

Would he help us? Look we are dangerously short on depth up front. Martial has played 90 minutes twice the last 18 months. Every time he is fit it’s a blessing at this point, but we can’t be rule out that he all of a sudden he will limp of the pitch and be out for two months this spring. If that happen we can still put a good team on pitch. But with this schedule, we need to be able to rotate the squad. Other forwards could be injured. Like if both Martial and Rashford get injured — who do we play up front? We still have depth, Sancho-Garnacho-Antony isn’t bad, right? Elanga on the bench. But who do we put in when Sancho-Garnacho-Antony have to rest?

Pretty fast we reach a point where it would be a clear advantage to have an individually strong forward who has proven that he can score in the Premier League at hand. Is Dennis the guy? I certainly hope we could do better.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Gouiri seems like the most logical signing as a #9 that we never hear the media (or people in here much) talk about.

22 years old, really good record for France at youth level, scored 12 and 10 the last 2 years (age 20 and 21) and now at 22 he's looking like he'll hit 15 for the first time.

He's not very big, but set up 2 goals today, one with a brilliant back heel after a good run in behind, and the 2nd by dropping deep into the half space and passing through the lines, then drawing a defender by running through. The latter type of play is what we ask Martial to do a lot and what Cristiano was just terrible at.

Would be a risk in terms of physique for a #9 you would think, but his record is more consistent at a younger age than Kolo Muani or Thuram, and he's technically better than both from what I've seen. Probably not the ideal guy to share time with Martial as they're somewhat similar (Gouiri is more nimble, Martial stronger but not wildly different), but I do wonder if he'll move to another club and we'll regret it. Any Ligue 1 fans got thoughts?
Statistically seems very similar to Martial. I think we need more of a conventional no.9 than another player like that.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
I think that it deserves to be pointed out that it is — far from certain — that we could get any of the forwards we have been linked to. Far from certain.

We know that we can’t spend 15-20m in total on Felix. We had 25m in cash going into Q2, during which much fewer games than usual were played. Obviously we are not allowed to pull any more from our credit. Our transfer budget is basically non-existent. 5-10m including wages. That means basically a loan and very little else.

Many see Memphis Depay as the fall-back option — if ‘all else fail’. According to Barcelona sources in December, he is not available. Jordi Cryueff said that it makes no sense to sell him, because they would still not be able to buy anyone else due to La Liga FFP rules. He also noted that Xavi likes Memphis and would like to keep him as a squad player. Indicating that it would take a big bid to get him. Could definitely be posturing, but who knows. It’s not 100% that he is available for a loan without a big fee.
https://www.mundodeportivo.com/vide...1904272/entrevista-completa-jordi-cruyff.html

We could never afford to buy guys like Thuram or Giroux or Toney or Mitrovic. Perhaps a loan with obligation to buy, but that is very doubtful. There is definitely a risk that we have to look for guys in the Igalho mold.

The question we have to ask ourselves is, if Martial and Rashford both get injured, who do we play on Tuesday after Sancho-Garnacho-Anthony played 3 games in the prior 8 days and needs a rest?

It is perfectly possible that we will have to take on someone that somebody else just want to get rid of and can’t find buyer of.

Last edited:

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
We should put a bid in for Harry Kane. Not that we’ll get him but it will unsettle him and ruin spurs chances of catching us up, The type of thing I do on Fm. :lol:
Would love to see the "Utd Submit Loan Proposal for Kane" headline :lol:

croadyman

I think that it deserves to be pointed out that it is — far from certain — that we could get any of the forwards we have been linked to. Far from certain.

We know that we can’t spend 15-20m in total on Felix. We had 25m in cash going into Q2, during which much fewer games than usual were played. Obviously we are not allowed to pull any more from our credit. Our transfer budget is basically non-existent. 5-10m including wages. That means basically a loan and very little else.

Many see Memphis Depay as the fall-back option — if ‘all else fail’. According to Barcelona sources in December, he is not available. Jordi Cryueff said that it makes no sense to sell him, because they would still not be able to buy anyone else due to La Liga FFP rules. He also noted that Xavi likes Memphis and would like to keep him as a squad player. Indicating that it would take a big bid to get him. Could definitely be posturing, but who knows. It’s not 100% that he is available for a loan without a big fee.
https://www.mundodeportivo.com/vide...1904272/entrevista-completa-jordi-cruyff.html

We could never afford to buy guys like Thuram or Giroux or Toney or Mitrovic. Perhaps a loan with obligation to buy, but that is very doubtful. There is definitely a risk that we have to look for guys in the Igalho mold.

The question we have to ask ourselves is, if Martial and Rashford both get injured, who do we play on Tuesday after Sancho-Garnacho-Anthony played 3 games in the prior 8 days and needs a rest?

It is perfectly possible that we will have to take on someone that somebody else just want to get rid of and can’t find buyer of.
Why we won't utilise money saved on Ronaldo's wages to get Thuram I cannot understand

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

Simply not true.

spiriticon

It's a rough market out there. All the names we've been linked to are pretty meh.

But really apart from Haaland, Lewandowski and Kane (none of which are gettable), I just can't see anybody else scoring 25 goals a season for us from the go.

croadyman

It's a rough market out there. All the names we've been linked to are pretty meh.

But really apart from Haaland, Lewandowski and Kane (none of which are gettable), I just can't see anybody else scoring 25 goals a season for us from the go.
Kane might be in the summer

Chairman Steve

I would be happy with Thuram for that low of a fee. It’d be great to catch a player just as they’ve evolved into a better player.

My hunch at the moment is Felix is the one ETH wants, and negotiations/haggling is being played out in the media.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
It is simply not true that we could never afford someone like Thuram.
Aha, sorry, I just think that it’s likely that buying 6 months of Thuram from a BMGB who is chasing a CL spot this season, and signing Thuram to the contract that will be the big pay day of his career, will be at least as expensive as taking on Felix costs for 6 months. But honestly, I don’t have any insight into BMGBs financials etc, shooting a bit from the hip there.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Aha, sorry, I just think that it’s likely that buying 6 months of Thuram from a BMGB who is chasing a CL spot this season, and signing Thuram to the contract that will be the big pay day of his career, will be at least as expensive as taking on Felix costs for 6 months. But honestly, I don’t have any insight into BMGBs financials etc, shooting a bit from the hip there.
Me neither. But we too chase CL. And in our case, if we want a player like him, it is not that much paying £10 or £15 mill for a player that we sign on a five year contract. In BMGs, I find it hard to believe that they would value six months of any player at £10-15 mill (basically saying that a year with him is worth £20-30 mill).

Furthermore, I think it is a stretch to say they chase CL (fivethirtyeight have them at 11 % chance). Man Utds is at 58 %. So for BMG it would be a much less sensible gamble than it would be for Man Utd to keep Thuram in hope of him giving them CL.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Where this Kane noise coming from? Has he had a spat with Conte or what?
no, I think it's from the fact that he looked set to sign for City last year and clearly wants to get CL football, which, right now, Spurs don't look like offering next season. My guess is that he'll end up in Spain or Italy if he leaves Spurs. But we can dream...

croadyman

no, I think it's from the fact that he looked set to sign for City last year and clearly wants to get CL football, which, right now, Spurs don't look like offering next season. My guess is that he'll end up in Spain or Italy if he leaves Spurs. But we can dream...
Really depends how much he wants record

croadyman

Please get some cover before City game so Erik doesn't have to keep bringing Elanga off bench

eire-red

Can we capitalise on the mess at Juventus and get a hold of Vlahovic? He fits a lot of the criteria we need.

Vapor trail

I think Vlahovic in the summer is a really interesting idea. He's the last of the typical profile of centre forwards and is young. I feel like ETH will thrive with a dynamic forward who can drop into space, move in behind and comfortable back to goal. Felix would be brilliant in between spaces but then would require the wingers to more prolific in front of goal.

RedDevilRoshi

Can we capitalise on the mess at Juventus and get a hold of Vlahovic? He fits a lot of the criteria we need.
In the summer for sure. This month, very unlikely unless the takeover happens and a big budget is given to spend between now and the end of January

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
It’s hard to see how Juventus, PSG and Inter can climb out of the FFP mess they are in. With the rules entering into force, they will be forced to balance things out financially eventually. The “Italian” way might be to just stall, drag it out as much as possible, and just try to minimize the damage and get everyone to bend as much as possible.

But you either comply from the get go, or go into uncharted territory where you lose 60m instantly (you are allowed to deviate from the cost control rule with 60m if you haven’t breached the rule the previous years) and your money from UEFA tournaments money are confiscated. PSG could live with that, but can Juventus?

With that said, I am a little bit concerned about Vlahovic. I’ve seen him a lot this year for Juventus and Serbia — and he has been completely invisible every time. No pressing whatsoever. Haven’t gotten involved. Now he is injured.

Lemon Moon

I can't see us buying a striker in January.
Wouldn't surprise me if Erik starts Sancho up top when he comes back although I'm unsure he can play there personally. (Erik has said he can previously)

In the summer I'd like us to go for Mitrovic, I believe he's the kind of striker our team would benefit most from. Goal scorer, strong & direct.
Wouldn't break the bank either which will help us focus on recruiting for other areas of the squad.

croadyman

Wouldn't surprise me if Erik starts Sancho up top when he comes back although I'm unsure he can play there personally. (Erik has said he can previously)

In the summer I'd like us to go for Mitrovic, I believe he's the kind of striker our team would benefit most from. Goal scorer, strong & direct.
Wouldn't break the bank either which will help us focus on recruiting for other areas of the squad.
Not looking for an expensive striker because know we can't afford one in January,just some CF cover on loan until the summer

zaafi

What do people think of Mehdi Taremi from FC Porto?

Underrated, but a fantastic striker. Certainly deserves a move up from Porto. So dangerous in the box and similarly to Harry Kane, he's great in the build-up and great at setting up goals which also reflects in his assists over the years. In 119 matches for Porto, he's got 67 goals and 44 assists. For Iran he has 29 goals in 64 matches.
He is 30 years old which, according to some posters on here, means he's close to death so that's the only downside. But if you look at the strikers these days, most of the elite ones are over 30. Haaland is just an abnormality.
His contract expires in 2024, so if we sign him in the summer, Porto might be looking for a cash out and sell him for cheap.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Bit of a wildcard shout but what about Vardy? He's not even starting for Leicester rn, past his expiry date certainly but he's still quite quick, good movement, strength and a hard shot. Got character. Wonder what Leicester would ask for him.

A9X SJ

What about Giakoumakis from Celtic not getting regular game time at the moment Ange prefers Kyogo. He knows where the goal is thou reckon wherever he goes next he’ll score no probs

croadyman

Bit of a wildcard shout but what about Vardy? He's not even starting for Leicester rn, past his expiry date certainly but he's still quite quick, good movement, strength and a hard shot. Got character. Wonder what Leicester would ask for him.
Yeah certainly not playing that much now

scottser

Fulham will be looking for outrageous money for mitrovic.