The centre-forward market...

croadyman

For me we really should not pass up getting Marcús Thuram on a free transfer. Then we can add a big from the trio of Osimhen, Kane or Ramos.
Yeah that should be no brainer,people like him and Rabiot should be in addition to starter ST and CM rather than being our only signings in those positions as I fear may happen

croadyman

I'm still saying Hojlund for the cheaper option, very similar to Kane, he just isn't as accomplished or banging in as many goals as Kane yet, but his physicals like speed are better and he's 10 years younger. Got all the attributes, he's just a riskier option.
He would be my choice if we can't get Kane,absolutely convinced Osimhen may not move due to the huge price tag.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He's obviously scoring for fun at the moment, but he's very very rough. He shoots at every opportunity and scores screamers, but his build-up play is terrible for now.

He's arrived in Belgium in January, scored a couple of goals and couldn't mention fast enough to leave for a bigger competition. Always sulking when he's on the bench or replaced.

Good goalscorer, not quite the best feet, and (right now) not the right mentality I'd say.
Thanks for a bit more context. I don't follow the Belgian league too closely, it's mainly his European games I've caught highlights of.

That's disappointing on the attitude front. I certainly wouldn't suggest someone like him should be our only striker signing, but it would be nice to take a punt on someone as depth, with real potential.

Kingslayer18

We are still getting reports of our interest in Benjamin Sesko, so wouldn't surprise me if we try pay Leipzig a premium on their fee to get him. Since it's unlikely we can sell Martial in the upcoming window, we might as well keep him, buy Sesko or another young striker (Holjund, Giminez, Ferguson etc) and get a more experienced striker (not Weghorst) as a 3rd option/backup. Levy won't sell Kane to us unless he gets 100m+, it makes no sense to pay that for a player who's about to turn 30 and will command huge wages. So we call his bluff and wait to get Kane on a free transfer the following season. Then release Martial and let go of the loan striker. Then 24/25 season, we have Kane and Sesko/young no 9 as our strikers, with Sesko to take over once Kane hits a wall in his 30s.

Springfield WildCats

He's obviously scoring for fun at the moment, but he's very very rough. He shoots at every opportunity and scores screamers, but his build-up play is terrible for now.

He's arrived in Belgium in January, scored a couple of goals and couldn't mention fast enough to leave for a bigger competition. Always sulking when he's on the bench or replaced.

Good goalscorer, not quite the best feet, and (right now) not the right mentality I'd say.
I’d love a striker that’s sulks if he isn’t playing, that means he’s angry he’s not on the pitch with the chance to score goals, you look at martial and the likes and there not bothered if they are bench and not scoring.

L1nk

He would be my choice if we can't get Kane,absolutely convinced Osimhen may not move due to the huge price tag.
Even though he has a year left on his contract I still can't see Levy playing ball. I assume it's not totally ruled out he doesn't stay as well, might be waiting to see what the plan is with a new manager and such. Osimhen definitely not going to move considering the President is worse than Levy and he has a longer contract than Kane, it's gonna be nigh on impossible in my opinion.

Investing a young talented striker is something we haven't done in a long long time and I think we need to do it.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
@KirkDuyt

Does Giminez have any hold up ability or link play?

He seems like quite a good finisher but unsure if that’s the type of striker we need.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
@KirkDuyt

Does Giminez have any hold up ability or link play?

He seems like quite a good finisher but unsure if that’s the type of striker we need.
He does and he's also not a bad dribbler, but he's not ready for anything like United yet. He wasnt even ready for Feyenoord at the start of the season, though he adepted very quickly and is now one of our key players, Smalling showed me that he needs time to become stronger.

On the other hand it was a bit difficult for him against Roma because our wingers are extremely shite amd he was isolated.

He'd walk right into any handsome XI though.

Bondi77

My money is on Johnathan David or Rasmus and either of those will cost 50mil.
If we are after players in midfield and defence and possibly in goal then we are not going to splash 80-100mil on one striker :nono:
Let's be realistic and leave the other stuff for FPL.

croadyman

My money is on Johnathan David or Rasmus and either of those will cost 50mil.
If we are after players in midfield and defence and possibly in goal then we are not going to splash 80-100mil on one striker :nono:
Let's be realistic and leave the other stuff for FPL.
You make a good point but that's a lot of pressure on either of those to be our main striker

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Yeah that should be no brainer,people like him and Rabiot should be in addition to starter ST and CM rather than being our only signings in those positions as I fear may happen
Theres a reason neither Bayern nor Dortmund are Interested in a free transfer of Thuram.
He is good, but nothing special, too inconsistent and has a weak mentality.

He isnt even a starter anymore for 11th placed Gladbach.

Mr Smith

There's also injury worries with Oshimen. Everyone frets about Kane's injury record yet everyone forgets Oshimen was injured almost all of last season and on a few occasions this year.

croadyman

There's also injury worries with Oshimen. Everyone frets about Kane's injury record yet everyone forgets Oshimen was injured almost all of last season and on a few occasions this year.
My order would probably be

Kane
Osimhen
Kolo-Muani
Vlahovic
Hojlund

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The market for striker this summer isn’t ideal imo. May be we need to put this on hold to 2024 when the likes of Osimhen, Toney and Kane will be available for much more reasonable fees than this summer.

May be signing Maddison and young striker like Hojlund and use Rashford as a striker for one season while playing Maddison on the left could work. Maddison himself has good end product capable to score goals and assists.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
The market for striker this summer isn’t ideal imo. May be we need to put this on hold to 2024 when the likes of Osimhen, Toney and Kane will be available for much more reasonable fees than this summer.

May be signing Maddison and young striker like Hojlund and use Rashford as a striker for one season while playing Maddison on the left could work. Maddison himself has good end product capable to score goals and assists.
Kane will be available on a free

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Mentioned this article in another thread, which looks at recent CL finalists and the make-up of their teams. The conclusion being:

All of the other positions have various kinds of exceptions -- free transfers, academy guys, older stars brought in at the tail end of a career -- but the story with Champions League winning forwards is pretty straight-forward. To get one, you have to pay a ton of money -- and you have to be willing to do it at an age before you're even sure the player is worth it.
Looking at the current market, I suspect there's probably truth in that.

A lot of posters here want a "proven" striker, be it because they've been burned by previous failed buys, want immedate success or just have't seen enough of the different unproven players to back one.

But in reality by far the biggest upside would come from the club buying one of the young, hyped but unproven CFs and actually nailing it. With names like Ramos and Muani probably falling quite neatly into that "ton of money and you're not sure they're worth it" bracket. If you actually spot the top class CF among that bunch, that's what really helps you back towards being an elite side again.

Osimhen I would probably argue is one season beyond that and (arguably) now too expensive as a result. And Kane is obviously the antithesis.

Last edited:

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Mentioned this article in another thread, which looks at recent CL finalists and the make-up of their teams. The conclusion being:

A lot of posters here want a "proven" striker, be it because they've been burned by previous failed buys, want immedate success or just have't seen enough of the different unproven players to back one.

But in reality by far the biggest upside would come from the club buying one of the young, hyped but unproven CFs and actually nailing it. With names like Ramos and Muani probably falling quite neatly into that "ton of money and you're not sure they're worth it" bracket. If you actually spot the top class CF among that bunch, that's what really helps you back towards being an elite side again.

Osimhen I would probably argue is one season beyond that and (arguably) now too expensive as a result. And Kane is obviously the antithesis.
While those same posters who claim Man City make great buys in Alvarez would also claim that he's not ready if he doesn't bag for a game or two and that he should be loaned out.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
For example: someone like Goncalo Ramos is "expected" to score nearly 2.5 goals from open play in every three full 90min for Benfica this season. That's better than any of the 20 highest goalscorers in Europe's big five leagues.

If you thought he could replicate that or anything even close to that consistently in the PL for United, then at his age and (otherwise seemingly high) price he pretty much automatically becomes a much better buy than either Osimhen or Kane. But you'd have to back that "if" and get it right.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I’d be mighty surprised if it’s 2 purchases. I could see us signing the likes of Kane + a freebie or a loan in addition
Due to FFP and the current situation of our ownership, I can’t see us successfully dealing with Levy to sign Kane.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned

I feel Osimhen is the best option for sure. He's proven he can play at an high level and is at the right age to progress and improve as a player on a bigger stage. Fee seems to be the only negative/stumbling block really.

bosniamanutd

To be honest, we can’t get best players despite money we can offer because we are not favourable team for superstars any more.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Seriously what's the deal with Jonathan David? For a 23 year old he has 22 goals in ligue 1 this season, 15 last season and 13 the season before that, yet nobody ever brings his name up. I've even seen Openda get more mention and he's scored less. Does David fail the eye test or what?

zaafi

Seriously what's the deal with Jonathan David? For a 23 year old he has 22 goals in ligue 1 this season, 15 last season and 13 the season before that, yet nobody ever brings his name up. I've even seen Openda get more mention and he's scored less. Does David fail the eye test or what?
Take a look at how many of his goals are penalties.

marktan

From the ones I've watched a decent amount of, I'd sign in this order:

Osimhen
Vlahovic
Toney (complicated with the ban)

I'm a big fan of Kane, more than most, but he's 30 this summer and if we sign him we'll need to spend big money on a striker again in 2 seasons. We need to build for the future, and that means signing long term players so that we can strengthen the squad in subsequent windows and not come back to square one trying to sign another starter (which has often been the case with our wide forwards).

zaafi

From the ones I've watched a decent amount of, I'd sign in this order:

Osimhen
Vlahovic
Toney (complicated with the ban)

I'm a big fan of Kane, more than most, but he's 30 this summer and if we sign him we'll need to spend big money on a striker again in 2 seasons. We need to build for the future, and that means signing long term players so that we can strengthen the squad in subsequent windows and not come back to square one trying to sign another starter (which has often been the case with our wide forwards).
So what do we do if Osimhen or Vlahovic aren't good enough? We'd have to spend big again.

We don't necessarily have to go this route either. We could potentially get Kane and a younger striker such as Højlund and he could be ready to be the main man when Kane starts to decline. Those two would cost around the same as Napoli will demand for Osimhen.

The Irish Connection

I’d like if we signed Kane and also Evan Ferguson but loaned him back to Brighton for a season.
Ferguson could take over from Kane then as he starts to decline.
Possibly not within budget though.

marktan

So what do we do if Osimhen or Vlahovic aren't good enough? We'd have to spend big again.

We don't necessarily have to go this route either. We could potentially get Kane and a younger striker such as Højlund and he could be ready to be the main man when Kane starts to decline. Those two would cost around the same as Napoli will demand for Osimhen.
I think both are easily good enough. The alternative you've suggested could work too, with the added bonus of some depth.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I’d like if we signed Kane and also Evan Ferguson but loaned him back to Brighton for a season.
Ferguson could take over from Kane then as he starts to decline.
Possibly not within budget though.
Why exactly would Brighton develop a player for us ?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I dunno, I guess if he wanted the move, they got a good fee, they would have a season then to plan for his departure and have him playing.
Just wishful thinking . Brighton isn't a non league or championship club who would entertain those kind of deals. They probably have a replacement already for Ferguson.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I know Kane is probably our number 1 target and may win us a trophy or 2 but we’re gonna have issues in a few years when we’re having to replace him, replace Casemiro and replace eriksen who are all gonna be getting on. Eriksen wasn’t so bad as he was a free but spending a ridiculous amount on Kane and then having to replace him in 4/5 years doesn’t make sense. We should be looking at a young striker that we can develop into one of the best in the world and then if he eventually moves on we’ll make a massive profit on him.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Take a look at how many of his goals are penalties.
He’s underrated for what he does. If he was French we’d be all over this signing but there’s still this hesitancy over Canadian/American footballers. He’s a title winning forward (ahead of PSG) arguably the best forward in Ligue 1 behind Mbappe and only 23. He’s improved massively this season and again without him Lille would be completely in the shit.

With another good coach this is the exact kind of player who could explode.

The Irish Connection

Just got a goal. It would a very brave move to go for him already but I just love this lad more than any young striker in the league in a long long while
Did he? Nice! I would love to see an Irish player in the united first team again.
Good for our national side too.
Feels like a signing fergie would make. Although it would be a big step up for him to lead the line for us at his age.