The Centre Forward Stop-Gap Market

Klean

It's the amount of chances he has missed in that position which is the concern. Spurs and Newcastle being cases in point.
He has scored 4 goals from an xg of 4.2 in the league and 3 goals from an xg of 3 in Europa. I won't argue he misses some chances, but all strikers miss chances.

Elcabron

He has scored 4 goals from an xg of 4.2 in the league and 3 goals from an xg of 3 in Europa. I won't argue he misses some chances, but all strikers miss chances.
You would think those three chances against Spurs and the header in the last few mins against Newcastle were an xg of 4 all by themselves, or maybe the four he scored were from a low xg. Can't really remember if he had chances v Chelsea and West Ham (aside from the goal).

4 in the league ain't great though after 14 games, thats only 12 league goals when extrapolated out over 38 games which I think probably highlights the need to bring someone in. Also I don't think he is great as a target man either in that central role.

Klean

You would think those three chances against Spurs and the header in the last few mins against Newcastle were an xg of 4 all by themselves, or maybe the four he scored were from a low xg. Can't really remember if he had chances v Chelsea and West Ham (aside from the goal).

4 in the league ain't great though after 14 games, thats only 12 league goals when extrapolated out over 38 games which I think probably highlights the need to bring someone in. Also, I don't think he is great as a target man either in that central role.
Don't disagree he missed some chances he shouldn't. I think that he is a 12-15 goal-a-year player. 12 goals last year in the league would have been our 2nd leading scorer behind Ronaldo at 18.

I would also argue that we really don't play with a target man. I think people saw Haller at Ajax and think we need a similar profile player. I believe that we just need an out-and-out goalscorer which is why I advocate for Osihmen in the summer. I think Fernandes will get back to his influential best with no Ronaldo and really we need a player that can finish chances. I do appreciate your perspective though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Memphis is realistic IMO. Would offer similar qualities to Martial too, just not as strong

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
I would rather be relegated. Genuinely.
Honestly, if we bring in someone that manage to get us into the CL — I don’t care one bit if it’s a clown like Suarez. Not one bit.

Arnautovic? I don’t have insight into the racist claims. I would draw a line if there is truth to that. I barely remember the reports about him mocking away fans after an Austria game (“Yugoslavia” related), not sure if it was related to what some Swiss players did after beating Serbia, there is a bit of a proxy war going on there. But I leave that to others who have better insight and get the nuances. But I could live with if he is just arse hole (not a racist) — if he gets us into the top 4.

Elcabron

Don't disagree he missed some chances he shouldn't. I think that he is a 12-15 goal-a-year player. 12 goals last year in the league would have been our 2nd leading scorer behind Ronaldo at 18.

I would also argue that we really don't play with a target man. I think people saw Haller at Ajax and think we need a similar profile player. I believe that we just need an out-and-out goalscorer which is why I advocate for Osihmen in the summer. I think Fernandes will get back to his influential best with no Ronaldo and really we need a player that can finish chances. I do appreciate your perspective though.
Likewise. Osihmen in the summer would be great, it's just that I think we need someone now to ensure top four, if we do t make it we might not be able to attract an Osihmen. Hopefully if we dont get anyone now then Rashford and Martial can step up to the mark.

Agree completely re Bruno.

Klean

Likewise. Osihmen in the summer would be great, it's just that I think we need someone now to ensure top four, if we do t make it we might not be able to attract an Osihmen. Hopefully if we dont get anyone now then Rashford and Martial can step up to the mark.

Agree completely re Bruno.
I believe that the way the team is shaping up; Gakpo to play LW with Garnacho in Jan would be a dream for me. Then you have an LW, CAM, and RW that can create many chances. Plus it would let Garnacho ease into the first-team role so that he can ride the ups and downs that come with being a young player.

I think that the WC will help the team continue to gel especially with some of the 2nd teamers that haven't gotten many minutes (Sancho, Elanga, Martial). I think we will see United really peak in the 2nd half of the season provided we can get through the World Cup with minimal injuries. What is good is our schedule is fairly balanced between difficult games and games we "should" dominate, so I remain optimistic that we can pick up lots of points as we continue to get with the new style of play.

Bojan Djordjic

Mentioned Suarez a while back. I mean, football wise; it’s hard to find a better stop gap alternative. But…
A stop gap has to actually stop a gap. Suarez is more washed than Ronaldo and is hated by our fan base. That would be a ridiculously poor signing.

footballbite

I believe that the way the team is shaping up; Gakpo to play LW with Garnacho in Jan would be a dream for me. Then you have an LW, CAM, and RW that can create many chances. Plus it would let Garnacho ease into the first-team role so that he can ride the ups and downs that come with being a young player.
Erm, but then what about Rashford? He's still better at LW than CF.

Rashford's presence already enables Garnacho to "ease into the first-team", as you so call it. But really Garnacho could be capable of demanding a starting spot in a year already, in which case Rashford's presence ahead of him would be a problem. Adding another similar player would either block Garnacho's pathway to getting regular starting minutes to the point where he considers looking elsewhere, or it just means you've wasted money on someone who will sit on the bench behind both Garnacho and Rashford.

Gakpo just makes no sense however it's looked at. He's not even seemed that good of a player when up against decent opposition.

Bojan Djordjic

Honestly, if we bring in someone that manage to get us into the CL — I don’t care one bit if it’s a clown like Suarez. Not one bit.

Arnautovic? I don’t have insight into the racist claims. I would draw a line if there is truth to that. I barely remember the reports about him mocking away fans after an Austria game (“Yugoslavia” related), not sure if it was related to what some Swiss players did after beating Serbia, there is a bit of a proxy war going on there. But I leave that to others who have better insight and get the nuances. But I could live with if he is just arse hole (not a racist) — if he gets us into the top 4.
So you draw the line at racist claims but are cool with Suarez joining us??

phelans shorts

So you won’t accept Arnautovic (banned for racism) but will accept Suarez (banned for racism)?

Onerealunited

Marcus Thuram. Has started to score a lot of goals. He is out of contract this summer. Should be available to acquire at a fair price. Would also make sense to have him in the squad after we buy another striker in the summer window to create competition. A team as our should have 3 players fighting for the striker position. A competition between Martial, Thuram and a star striker would be valuable

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
So you won’t accept Arnautovic (banned for racism) but will accept Suarez (banned for racism)?
Dang, had to Google it, I had totally forgotten about the Evra incident.

A stop gap has to actually stop a gap. Suarez is more washed than Ronaldo and is hated by our fan base. That would be a ridiculously poor signing.
If we are looking for a stop gap signing, beggers can’t be choosers. Occasionally you can find a Hank Larsson type, but most of the time someone like that isn’t available.

I have no idea what Suarez status is right now, but there are many players in the football world who have missed a lot of time over the years or who aren’t able to consistently for 40 games per year be an effective player for a bigger team — that still can play a really effective game of football. Arnatovic is definitely one of those.

The Evra incident surely must be statue barred by now. That is ancient.

My point is just, I don’t give a feck about a player’s pedigree at this point if we are in desperate need for depth at striker. Get someone who can do a job on the pitch. They are out there. Is Suarez one of them — I have no idea.

Last edited:

captaincantona

Play Rashford through the middle…Pellistri is coming back a superstar from this World Cup! Mark this post….

eire-red

Small sample this. We have seen longer samples from Rashford as CF. He doesn’t have the hold-up play, back-to-goal play or decision making that Martial has. He can play there but he’s sub-optimal.

That said he can be fine till the end of the year if we can’t sign any targets now. The emergence of Garnacho means Sancho will have a competition and someone who can rest him on the LW (if Rashford moves centrally)

I’d rather we go like this then buy a stop-gap striker now or overpay for a mediocre one. If however a striker we want is available for reasonable price, sure.
Yeah I fully agree with you. We've had a long list of stop-gaps. Antony, Martial, Rashford, Sancho and Garnacho can get us through to the end of the season occupying those front 3 positions. Bruno can also fill in wide and Eriksen can play as the 10 in those situations.

Squad is big enough. We need quality now, not more quantity. That's rarely the case in Jan.

Cathy Ferguson

Marcus Thuram. Has started to score a lot of goals. He is out of contract this summer. Should be available to acquire at a fair price. Would also make sense to have him in the squad after we buy another striker in the summer window to create competition. A team as our should have 3 players fighting for the striker position. A competition between Martial, Thuram and a star striker would be valuable
Is he a good target player?

Devil81

Let's have it right short term Arnautovic was actually a decent option, big, strong and technically very good.

I get people were against his personality but football wise and price wise he'd have ticked the boxes.

BerryBerryShrew

Makes perfect sense. Get him in in January for £10m and even if it doesn't work out we could flog him for 2-3 times more than that in the summer. It reminds me of when Chelsea signed the likes of Loic Remy. Low risk and high reward.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Is he a good target player?
Yeah, for sure. Good target player. Good speed. Hard worker. But his technique is not very good, his first touch. And while he is a good lone striker for a team that is pushed back a lot, there is a bit of an adjustment when you go to a team that plays much higher, has the ball more.

I am a bit skeptical for sure, is he a fit for the PL?

Bojan Djordjic

If we are looking for a stop gap signing, beggers can’t be choosers. Occasionally you can find a Hank Larsson type, but most of the time someone like that isn’t available.

I have no idea what Suarez status is right now, but there are many players in the football world who have missed a lot of time over the years or who aren’t able to consistently for 40 games per year be an effective player for a bigger team — that still can play a really effective game of football. Arnatovic is definitely one of those.

My point is just, I don’t give a feck about a player’s pedigree at this point if we are in desperate need for depth at striker. Get someone who can do a job on the pitch. They are out there. Is Suarez one of them — I have no idea.
What on earth is the point in bringing in a player that isn't likely to contribute but is just there for depth. Suarez is in the Uruguayan Primera and is not pulling up trees at that level. We want a stop gap but we want someone that is better than Ronaldo has been and can at least press which Suarez hasn't done since he joined Barca. Thuram or Moukoko are the types of signings that can be done for relatively cheap and would substantially improve our current options and they are still scoring threats. We should also explore loan options. There's the likes of Matheus Cunha that isn't seeing much playing time for atletico or maybe a Myron Boadu for Monaco who is still only 21 and scored 15 league goals aged 19 in Holland.

hobbers

Thuram and Dembele are both out of contract in the summer are they not? Though the goals have properly dried up for Dembele this season, Thuram would be the much better buy. Meanwhile Depay has barely kicked a ball, waste of time going for him.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
What on earth is the point in bringing in a player that isn't likely to contribute but is just there for depth. Suarez is in the Uruguayan Primera and is not pulling up trees at that level. We want a stop gap but we want someone that is better than Ronaldo has been and can at least press which Suarez hasn't done since he joined Barca. Thuram or Moukoko are the types of signings that can be done for relatively cheap and would substantially improve our current options and they are still scoring threats. We should also explore loan options. There's the likes of Matheus Cunha that isn't seeing much playing time for atletico or maybe a Myron Boadu for Monaco who is still only 21 and scored 15 league goals aged 19 in Holland.
None! ;)

Thanks for your input from how he has looked in the Uruguayan Primera, like I said, I just raised his name. Haven’t seen him the last year or two.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Anyone remember the “Colombian Drogba”, Jhon Cordoba? He could probably be had cheap from Krasnodar who has financial problems.

Not sure how good he is though… Has always been a really hard worker with good atlethsisim, but I haven’t seen much of him lately.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
One guy I really would like as a stop gap signing is Gabriel Barbosa. He is left footed and can play RW besides striker. Remember when he broke through with the Brazil national team along with Jesus. Was a brief stint in Italy with Inter but never cut it, but has done a good job in Brazil the last seasons going by the stats at least.

We were also linked to him last summer:
“As it stands, neither Manchester United, nor any representative of the player, have contacted Flamengo to enquire about a possible move to Old Trafford for Gabriel Barbosa.” (Jonathan Shrager)

Last January, Newcastle discussed a loan deal with Flamengo with a 17m buy option.
“Flamengo are open to a six-month loan in January if it includes a £17million deal to make it permanent in the summer”.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/foot...castle-transfer-news-gabriel-gabigol-25798226

Last edited:

Mwooyo

If people are talking about Marcus Thuram then I should mention Antoine Semenyo who has better feet and is a better finisher. His hold play is also better. He Is one to watch in the world cup this year.

captaincantona

Lads…Pellistri has this….and Rashford is gonna be our number 9. He is gonna save us millions.

Klean

Erm, but then what about Rashford? He's still better at LW than CF.

Rashford's presence already enables Garnacho to "ease into the first-team", as you so call it. But really Garnacho could be capable of demanding a starting spot in a year already, in which case Rashford's presence ahead of him would be a problem. Adding another similar player would either block Garnacho's pathway to getting regular starting minutes to the point where he considers looking elsewhere, or it just means you've wasted money on someone who will sit on the bench behind both Garnacho and Rashford.

Gakpo just makes no sense however it's looked at. He's not even seemed that good of a player when up against decent opposition.
Rashford would move to CF to accompany Martial when Ronaldo is released in January. I don't have confidence in Rashfords ability to play LW because his decision-making sometimes is appalling. There are many times when he frustratingly makes the wrong decision, and I think that Ten Haag's system will put a stronger emphasis on making the correct decision in the final 3rd. Plus I think that Rashford is more of an instinctual player so training as a CF would actually be more natural to his style of play.

Regarding Gakpo, I think that the production is there. You can argue it's in the dutch league, but if ETH wants him; so far his signings have panned out. If the rumor that PSV needs to sell in January is correct; then it's a no-brainer low risk at the price quoted. As for Garnacho, I'm excited about his talent; but this board expects him to have the consistency of a player in his mid 20's. He has played a handful of 1st team games, and while he has looked great; we have to expect him to be inconsistent for a few years while he continues to mature his game.

captaincantona

What's Pellistri got to do with price of fish?
We can’t afford a decent striker…or Gakpo by the looks of it. Rashford and Martial will cover at striker and Pellistri is gonna have such a good World Cup that ETH starts using him and Garnacho as wide forwards.

Remember the geese

We can’t afford a decent striker…or Gakpo by the looks of it. Rashford and Martial will cover at striker and Pellistri is gonna have such a good World Cup that ETH starts using him and Garnacho as wide forwards.
Ah, I see. I can see Garnacho getting plenty of games, but I think that Pellistri will either be loaned out or sold in January. I'm pretty certain we will sign a striker of some description.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Dang, had to Google it, I had totally forgotten about the Evra incident.

You have no idea but those people who told you he is washed is 100% knows what they were talking about. Based on what I watched of Uruguay in Copa america and also the season when Atl Madrid won the league ‘’during end of that season’’. His buildup play and holding play were so poor. Much much worse than Ronaldo.

dinostar77

Whoever it is, if they get anyone has to be able to press, do the tireless running and have the determination, work rate and desire to be a lone no9.

Depay is none of this. Nuts that hes even been mentioned.

It could be as simple as needing a dugarry. France no9 at france 1998 world cup. Not a great goalscorer nor did he put up big numbers, but his tireless running and self sacrifice allowed the likes of zidane and the rest of the france attack to shine.

daba

If people are talking about Marcus Thuram then I should mention Antoine Semenyo who has better feet and is a better finisher. His hold play is also better. He Is one to watch in the world cup this year.
Alongside Utd I follow Bristol City and Antoine is certainly destined for the Prem but I’m not sure he will ever be a Top 4/6 level player, more of a mid to lower Prem side player. See him as a classic Palace signing.

He has a lot of good attributes (Strong, Quick, Good Finisher, Decent Dribbler) but he was introduced quite late to Pro Football so is still pretty raw but is refining himself year on year.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
You have no idea but those people who told you he is washed is 100% knows what they were talking about. Based on what I watched of Uruguay in Copa america and also the season when Atl Madrid won the league ‘’during end of that season’’. His buildup play and holding play were so poor. Much much worse than Ronaldo.
Thanks, you never know with these guys, sometimes they literary get better when they go away from the spotlight because they can for the first time in several years recover properly and so forth. Or they completely tackle off.

This is what’s so great with this place, always someone that has great track of every corner of the globe. Much appreciated!

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Whoever it is, if they get anyone has to be able to press, do the tireless running and have the determination, work rate and desire to be a lone no9.

Depay is none of this. Nuts that hes even been mentioned.

It could be as simple as needing a dugarry. France no9 at france 1998 world cup. Not a great goalscorer nor did he put up big numbers, but his tireless running and self sacrifice allowed the likes of zidane and the rest of the france attack to shine.
Dino I think it’s hard to rate strikers pressing ability.

Like you need to have a good engine. Zlatan at the age of 41 or whatever cannot press. Often the bigger forwards are the worst pressing strikers. They become tired faster. And you need the smarts, be able to read the play, and so forth.

Is Depay’s pressing game really that poor? I don’t know.

But take someone like Braithwaith in Barcelona. He is one of the better pressers in the game. I am not sure if that is what we need? We don’t play like France does. France is an excellent championship team, but they play fairly deep, a bit cautious. But they have so much talent that they always are dangerous. Their loyal hard working striker is essential to them. They have actually won the World Cup twice with a striker that didn’t score a single goal (of course Giroux, but also Guivarch (sp).

We want to push up with our team a lot more. The play with the ball is really important too. Being able to buy time for the team with the ball. I think Jesus would be an excellent fit for us. Or someone that is just really smart and experienced.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Let's have it right short term Arnautovic was actually a decent option, big, strong and technically very good.

I get people were against his personality but football wise and price wise he'd have ticked the boxes.
Yes, Football wise he would have been OK, it was more that he is a keen racist that people objected