The Centre Forward Stop-Gap Market

Josh 76

Being linked with Gakpo and Depay is so depressing. Hope it’s all speculation.

footballbite

Enner Valencia did look both sharper and more of a proper CF than both Gakpo and Depay today.

Being at Fenerbahce he would prob be obtainable as a stop-gap as well, like a better Ighalo.

Except sadly he's now gotten injured.

Regardless he seemed more the type of player Utd are lacking as an option in the striker position.

Bojan Djordjic

Whether we believed him about his fitness or not it is fair to say that ship has sailed. He was pretty adamant at the end of last season that he wanted to experience playing in La Liga and he only signed a 2 year deal with Valenica in August so it is fair to say he is not going to be available unless we offer a daft fee. Of course paying a transfer fee for a player we released on a free a few months ago wouldn't be the craziest thing we have done in recent years.

I would personally cast my vote for Dembele. He fits the system and with only 6 months left on his deal Lyon may well be happy just to get a nominal transfer fee at this point. I would think he would be reasonably willing to accept a squad role with us and so it would not rule out moving for a bigger target in the summer.
I've always been very opposed to signing Dembele but I actually think this would be a sensible signing at this point as he shouldn't cost much, is in his prime and is a genuine number nine. He definitely has his limitations but for what we need now, he would be a more than serviceable option and would facilitate us signing better players in other positions where there is quality options available for attainable prices.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sharing this because this is an amazing name for Pulisic.

There was thinking it's odd they keep stressing the "POO" in his name.

POOL-LISIC.

Rather than a softer PU-LI-SIC.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I would rather see them go for Thuram than Gakpo. If the rumors are true, I hope they go for it.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Wait...you were genuinely recommending Suarez a few pages back and now you're suggesting him sarcastically??
I was spitballing names, then saw him at the World Cup and he is obviously beyond done. Looked like a meat ball. He wouldn’t even perform in the Championship. Not to mention his baggage.

I don’t get why you are still on about me mentioning him? It’s what your 3rd post on the topic? I mentioned like what 10 names of has-beens strikers — obviously with very little selection — who potentially could be available, but with extremely unclear status as to how good they are right now. Sorry if I was unclear, but haven’t I explained this to you already a couple of times?

Bojan Djordjic

I was spitballing names, then saw him at the World Cup and he is obviously beyond done. Looked like a meat ball. He wouldn’t even perform in the Championship. Not to mention his baggage.

I don’t get why you are still on about me mentioning him? It’s what your 3rd post on the topic? I mentioned like what 10 names of has-beens strikers — obviously with very little selection — who potentially could be available, but with extremely unclear status as to how good they are right now. Sorry if I was unclear, but haven’t I explained this to you already a couple of times?
It's because your posts are like a fourteen year olds. Do you not think instead of throwing out random names you do even the most basic of research about the people you're suggesting. I haven't noticed your username until recently but its like every time I've read a completely inane post in the recent past its been from you.

I'm sorry if you are twelve or are a teenager btw.

Boondog

I've been going back and forth on this problem quite a bit but I am starting to think the signing will be Dusan Vlahovic. He's a big bodied forward who helps us in the air, but he also would look real nice in the middle with Bruno feeding him passes. Rumored to the club and rightly so. He will be expensive but not crazy like Joao has been rumored to be (transfermarkt has him at 80M). He is still young at 22. Just all around he makes a ton of sense, would be a quality add that upgrades us and there is some blood in the water with Juve financially speaking.

Moukoko is probably in strong consideration as a cheaper alternative, though there have been rumors Liverpool is also interested which would affect his affordability. I like him but would prefer Dusan, think he's a better fit.

Looking at the other rumored players on transfermarkt who right now are looking unlikely for one reason or another:

- Gakpo is very possible but that left wing doubt still clings to him in my mind. I trust ten Hag on this but overall is he the best option, probably not.

- Sesko just signed a big deal so feels like a big summer type deal will be required to get him. I'd probably shit my pants if we were to get him but there is no way he'll be a January addition.

- Felix is simply too pricey for what you get. Ten Hag undoubtedly would value his flexibility to play different positions but we need a striker and his price is ridiculous.

- Mbappe is a shit-stirrer. Very unlikely ten Hag opts to take on that risk when it took him so long to get Ronaldo out of here.

- Osimhen is quality but I think a longshot as Naples will not want to sell him. It would cost a fortune.

- Depay makes sense as a buy-low option but I don't think the injuries will endear him to ten Hag. He's also a player that struggled to deal with competition prior, so I see him as a worst case type option.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I read sometime back that Ten Hag’s perfect striker is a tap in merchant/poacher due to the whole team passing around and finally making key passes in the box, so I’ve been trying to find a striker that maybe available even if this maybe not true.

The striker market is very basic at the moment. There are Strikers who can dribble but not make composed finishes for example, or strikers that can only play on the counter attack.

One player that surprised me for being a bit of a tap in style poacher is Tammy Abraham of Roma. I know people are a bit hesitant over English players for being overrated but I think in the right system he could become a bit more of a composed version of Lukaku (who I did not rate). If we could get him without being too expensive then I think he would be a good addition. He gives us what Martial and Rashford don’t have as strikers - poaching, tap in & a headers ability.

Him with the passing coaching of Ten Hag and strikers coaching of McCarthy could be a very interesting player.

Josh 76

I read sometime back that Ten Hag’s perfect striker is a tap in merchant/poacher due to the whole team passing around and finally making key passes in the box, so I’ve been trying to find a striker that maybe available even if this maybe not true.

The striker market is very basic at the moment. There are Strikers who can dribble but not make composed finishes for example, or strikers that can only play on the counter attack.

One player that surprised me for being a bit of a tap in style poacher is Tammy Abraham of Roma. I know people are a bit hesitant over English players for being overrated but I think in the right system he could become a bit more of a composed version of Lukaku (who I did not rate). If we could get him without being too expensive then I think he would be a good addition. He gives us what Martial and Rashford don’t have as strikers - poaching, tap in & a headers ability.

Him with the passing coaching of Ten Hag and strikers coaching of McCarthy could be a very interesting player.

Would take him over Gakpo

Rolaholic

I dunno, if Ivan Toney's ban ends up under 6 months I'd absolutely take a gamble on him, no pun intended :lol:

One of the best finishers in the land and think he could put our attack over the top, especially if we add someone like Gakpo to the mix with his terrific crossing ability.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Joel Piroe and Zian Flemming look like very raw players that could do a job from the Championship. Both Dutch as well, strong lads - the former at Swansea and latter currently at Millwall.

Piroe is more of a classic no 9, but I think Flemming looks very capable of becoming a technical no 9/false 9 with real physicality.

Doubt either would cost a great deal, but I also doubt we'd be looking at players at their level. I would expect Brentford to be looking at players like them when Toney is inevitably banned.

croadyman

I dunno, if Ivan Toney's ban ends up under 6 months I'd absolutely take a gamble on him, no pun intended :lol:

One of the best finishers in the land and think he could put our attack over the top, especially if we add someone like Gakpo to the mix with his terrific crossing ability.
Clearly Utd are waiting to see what happens

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
You’re welcome to Aubameyang. Move quickly to secure his signing. Proper striker this kid is.

BorisManUtd

Liverpool getting Gakpo and them being our top 4 contenders could push the club to sign a striker.

Flanders Devil

You’re welcome to Aubameyang. Move quickly to secure his signing. Proper striker this kid is.
I was about to come on and say what about a sneaky bid for Broja (I admittedly haven't watched/noticed him much this year, but was impressed with him when on loan).

Then I tried to Google his stats, and saw he did is ACL!

I know your a Chelsea fan, but would he be a good shout for United? What's his role in the Chelsea squad? Is he 'available' at a reasonable price?

DickDastardly

This will probably sound like shit to most of you....hear me out though.

Bruno Petković.

He'd cost next to zero, less then 10 milion.
He's a bit shit in his head and not sure he has what it takes brain wise....but he's excatly what we need.

A proper CF who can hold the ball up front and bring in our pacey wingers.

Probably not on the radar though.

A stop gap CF who offers something else.

Rolaholic

A Felix loan with an option/obligation to buy could be our best bet this window

honirelandboy

I think we will end up Morata in January, 10 million loan signing with an option to buy. Cant see the Glazers spending any money though.

jesperjaap

Not one for a stop gap market. If we are not going for a big signing though then two options spring to mind:

Joa Felix: Isnt a striker for me, but a £9m loan is still a better player there than nearly all the other options and we get to look at him there for 6months

Martin Terrier: Saw him linked today. Technically good and gets lots of goals for Rennes. I dont think he is special, but he does everything right, everything is at a good elvel. Think he would be a good choice as a second choice striker longer term. But Rennes are a cash rich club and he is a big player there, so not sure he comes at the kind of prie he should do

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Not one for a stop gap market. If we are not going for a big signing though then two options spring to mind:

Joa Felix: Isnt a striker for me, but a £9m loan is still a better player there than nearly all the other options and we get to look at him there for 6months

Martin Terrier: Saw him linked today. Technically good and gets lots of goals for Rennes. I dont think he is special, but he does everything right, everything is at a good elvel. Think he would be a good choice as a second choice striker longer term. But Rennes are a cash rich club and he is a big player there, so not sure he comes at the kind of prie he should do
His development is extremely impressive, could be very much a later bloomer like Giroud, but I agree on your point with Rennes - I'm not sure they'll be inclined to part with him for a fee we would want to pay.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Random one... what about Viktor Gyokeres? Top scorer in the Champo (and we've seen recently lots of players have actually been able to make the step up). Swedish international, is relatively young, wouldn't cost the world and we could probably flog him back to a championship club if he's crap.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Random one... what about Viktor Gyokeres? Top scorer in the Champo (and we've seen recently lots of players have actually been able to make the step up). Swedish international, is relatively young, wouldn't cost the world and we could probably flog him back to a championship club if he's crap.
Yeah, I've considered him too. He is one of the better strikers in the Championship. Strong physic; fast, good in the air, strong on the ball. Very hard worker, great presser. Downside is that he technically just don't have much class. He is fairly one-footed (right).

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
I wonder if we might revisit our interest in Gabriel Barbosa. He is left footed and can play RW besides striker. Remember when he broke through with the Brazil national team along with Jesus. Was a brief stint in Italy with Inter but never cut it, but has done a good job in Brazil the last seasons going by the stats at least.

I have not seen anyone linking us to him this January, only to Inter and Wolves, but we were also linked to him last summer:
“As it stands, neither Manchester United, nor any representative of the player, have contacted Flamengo to enquire about a possible move to Old Trafford for Gabriel Barbosa.” (Jonathan Shrager)

Last January, Newcastle discussed a loan deal with Flamengo with a 17m buy option.
“Flamengo are open to a six-month loan in January if it includes a £17million deal to make it permanent in the summer”.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/foot...castle-transfer-news-gabriel-gabigol-25798226

He have been good for Flamengo the last years, led them to winning the South American Champions Leauge etc.

Last edited:
What about Moussa Dembele from Lyon, big target man and reasonable finisher. 6 months left on his contract, would Lyon take a £5m loan fee for the rest of the season?