The chase for 4th place (not top 4)

Coops73

WAAAY too early to say but I'm starting to become less optimistic about a top 4 finish :(
Yeah, we need a really good winning streak to stand a chance but the way we’re playing I really can’t see that happening.

Castia

Should be impossible for this squad to finish outside the top 4 I mean it’s fecking joke at this point

footyfan019

Supports
Arsenal
Spurs game will be crucial for Arsenal, beating them will put us in front foot. 2 leg Mickey mouse cup is not going to help as well as Arteta will take semifinals seriously against Liverpool.

peridigm

Based on what?
This probably deserves its own thread but I’ll post it here. We’ve taken 4 points from teams in the bottom 3 in our last 5 matches, scoring 3 and conceding 5. We only beat Norwich by 1 goal. I’d say we’re very overrated when we can’t turn up against teams in the relegation zone.

Giggsyking

More evidence last night.
This probably deserves its own thread but I’ll post it here. We’ve taken 4 points from teams in the bottom 3 in our last 5 matches, scoring 3 and conceding 5. We only beat Norwich by 1 goal. I’d say we’re very overrated when we can’t turn up against teams in the relegation zone.
It is too early to make conclusions right now, our manager has only managed 3 league games and he collected 7/9 points, not brilliant but not catastrophic. I would still wait and see till the end of Jan to see how we perform then.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Think the exact opposite is true. Wolves are pretty woeful and can't score. You lot are in good form and would have drilled them, banked another 3 points and put pressure on the below teams.

Instead, you play City next, will lose that and have a chance that derails the momentum.
Yeah agree with this, I think we would've won against wolves today. We'll get another spanking against city...

Sorry in advance for being a broken record but the Glazers writ off this season when they decided to stick with Ole after it became inevitable it wasn’t going to work (IMO after The final defeat to Villarreal but of course it’s debatable)There are repercussions for not being pro active and we are experiencing that now.

I make that point only to say that Ralf deserves this 6 month period without being judged on wether he makes top 4. Yes it is still possible but he has been handicapped by starting from a losing position. Plus, it has been from a standing start with no pre season, as well as it being a new country for him.

I am as frustrated as anyone else that we might not make top 4 but I will put all blame at the Glazers door step if that happens. In the same respect, if we make top 4 then I will give them credit for making the right decision (although slightly delayed it’s never too late to make the right choice).

ESR10

Supports
Arsenal
2 points dropped by Tottenham today. I prefer having points than having games in hand.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
2 points dropped by Tottenham today. I prefer having points than having games in hand.
This is always the case. There's the permanent truth that no game is a guarantee, no matter how easy they look on paper, and the added pressure of having to play catch up to teams who are now 6-7 points ahead.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
I really can’t see us finishing top four. Realistically we are aiming for Europa league places.

Spurs dropped points tonight but I think Conte has improved them a hell of a lot.

We’ll be scrambling around with Arsenal and West Ham for places in Europe.

Just being a realist under the current regime

RuudTom83

It might come down to who can find solve a few problems with a shrewd transfer in January.

Tottenham and United both have new managers who must want to buy if they are given the chance.

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
Clearing the backlog of postponed matches and the need to play more games in a smaller period is likely to have some impact especially when European football returns and some clubs will be more fortunate than others. At least United have a squad bigger than most.

AaronRedDevil

Our squad of players are way too dumb. No way we are getting top 4 unless Ronaldo and Canvani have to drag us to it

footyfan019

Supports
Arsenal
Arteta got covid again, he will miss game against City. It will be tough for arsenal if they get more cases in coming days.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Arsenal play city this weekend, Lego pep will ensure he hands victory to his mentor, so it's absolutely vital we get a result against Burnley and wolves to apply some pressure to arsenal!

Redlyn

I reject that's it's a race for 4th place and not top 4. We lost the title in march with a gap of 8 points and here you are writing off the complete chasing pack with gap of 6-7 points in gameweek 17-19.

PoTMS

Two spots up for grabs now. Possibly even three with 3rd vs 2nd on the weekend.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Even though Chelsea are 14 points ahead, you still wonder if we can catch them.
Although we will actually have to look like we can put more than 2 shots a game in first.

cyberman

I would like to welcome Chelsea and their fans into this thread. Refreshments are in your right and the bathrooms are just down the hall

VivaRonaldo85

6 home points in the next few days and I’ll start to feel more comfortable about top 4 again. That is a must requirement. Chelsea starting to slip into the race now.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I can only imagine anyone that thinks we'll make 14 points (15 with GD) up on Chelsea hasn't seen us.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I can only imagine anyone that thinks we'll make 14 points (15 with GD) up on Chelsea hasn't seen us.
We've no hope for top 4 this season, we're a sinking ship at the moment. Would not surprise me at all if we finish either in the Conference league or back door it into the Europa through winning the FA Cup (I think that's still a thing)

foolsgold

Impossible to get a pick on it when there is a huge difference in games played. With the exception of City, any of the teams above us could fall.

cyberman

6 home points in the next few days and I’ll start to feel more comfortable about top 4 again. That is a must requirement. Chelsea starting to slip into the race now.
I’m in the same boat. Liverpool and Chelsea are falling apart above us, somehow they’re in worse form than us.
Time to get it together now.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We've no hope for top 4 this season, we're a sinking ship at the moment. Would not surprise me at all if we finish either in the Conference league or back door it into the Europa through winning the FA Cup (I think that's still a thing)
Some here are surely watching a different team.

PoTMS

If the last few years have taught us anything, it's that you can never write anyone off. It was Liverpool last season and us the season before that made top 4 when it looked like both could be out of Europe completely. I know we are outsiders for it but if we can just string together a few good results, then who knows.

AshRK

I know united are in a poor form right now but people are seriously underrating United here. Top 4 is very much attainable (yes we have to improve)

darko

If the last few years have taught us anything, it's that you can never write anyone off. It was Liverpool last season and us the season before that made top 4 when it looked like both could be out of Europe completely. I know we are outsiders for it but if we can just string together a few good results, then who knows.
Too many fans who have the 'give up' mentality. I xan only hope none of the players have that and fight through this current form.

Consider this. Spurs played with a man advantage in all of their past three matches. Two of them for more than a half and accumulated five of a possible nine points. Hardly stunning form.

RUCK4444

It’s absolutely there for us if we can choose a formation that suits the players.

Goes without saying we need to improve massively from the recent games but the squad has proven it can go on long runs of good form.

AshRK

With our last two performances, our chances are less than Arsenal and Spurs.
Did you even watch spurs performance against soton. They struggled 11 against 11. Like I said people are writing united off too soon.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Too many fans who have the 'give up' mentality. I xan only hope none of the players have that and fight through this current form.

Consider this. Spurs played with a man advantage in all of their past three matches. Two of them for more than a half and accumulated five of a possible nine points. Hardly stunning form.
true but us fans have had too many false dawns. Hope and confidence in the team can be hard to sustain in such conditions

Ixion

Unless our performances improve dramatically I think we're fecked

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Are you lot really going to react to every single Arsenal/Spurs game with one extreme or another until the end of the season? We’re not even halfway through the season. There is no proper race yet.