The chase for 4th place (not top 4)

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
You could see a result like that coming for United with how the previous few games had one. Arsenal and Spurs don't have Europe so I think they have the edge now. I don't think West Ham will keep up.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Spurs the clear favourites

In fact it would be very Spursy if they didn't make it

Nero

You could see a result like that coming for United with how the previous few games had one. Arsenal and Spurs don't have Europe so I think they have the edge now. I don't think West Ham will keep up.
To be fair United have only got two more games left in Europe so not a huge difference.

redshaw

Well I said top 4 was gone when Spurs got Conte, looking like the case now and Arsenal have stepped up since.

United don't look any threat to the top 4 this season, so many players playing poorly and seemingly bad attitudes. I think we've swapped positions with Spurs for a while now, they'll be getting the bargains and turning in mega performances.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
If we do miss out (and its looking increasingly likely), I hope we don't squeeze into a Europa league spot. We need a fresh slate next season with a new manager, hopefully new signings and just focus on the league. Not slugging through games in Uzbekistan on Thursday nights.
The trouble is, miss out on Europa and it's the bloody conference League! So we're better off finishing 8th

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The only saving grace is you can lose a lot of games and still scrape 4th.
It's nowhere near the battle for the top places, and we have to hope our favourite north london teams do what they do best.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
The only saving grace is you can lose a lot of games and still scrape 4th.
It's nowhere near the battle for the top places, and we have to hope our favourite north london teams do what they do best.
That's true. We lost 9 games last season and finished 3rd.

Kaos

The trouble is, miss out on Europa and it's the bloody conference League! So we're better off finishing 8th
Ugh I forgot about that. No way we're finishing low as 8th.

Meh, hope we just use it as a run around for our youngsters.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
We play Spurs three times this month. I hope Kane starts thinking he is being sold again.

AaronRedDevil

Can't believe we are going another year without Champion's League. Damn, that's going to be fustrating and depressing. Absolute joke of a sqaud. Get 'em all out.

ESR10

Supports
Arsenal
Think the exact opposite is true. Wolves are pretty woeful and can't score. You lot are in good form and would have drilled them, banked another 3 points and put pressure on the below teams.
well, I said not playing Wolves for Arsenal was good thing.
regarding United result today I was right…

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Utd wont get it. You're just not good enough this season. I just think Spurs & Arsenal are better sides right now. And I am not sure Rangnick was/will be the right choice for interim. Hindsight is 20/20 but id wager that youd have been better off perhaps leaving Carrick have it

cabbs1989

I still think we will make if personally, it will eventually click, spurs and arsenal have a few tough fixtures coming up which they will drop points, Liverpool have the afcon, West Ham are inconsistent, United will get it right hopefully sooner rather than later

OleksUsykUD

They drew against 10 man Southampton, just about beat Watford. And you say they should have beat Liverpool, but completely ignore our game against City.

Some people need to get over this narrative that we are in some form. This has been our level for the past 12 months. We literally dominated Spurs earlier in the season too. But, i'll give it to you, this game against Spurs next will be huge for the top 4 race.
They got 2 disallowed goal, one of which was 100% regular, and other to be fair looks regular to me as well. They were not even on the same line.

Also i expect people to learn that you can't always win playing good football, and there is plenty of very close matches that you need to win like their last one against Watford which they won with 1-0 very late.

Arsenal with this manager, and your squad is so so i wouldn't bet you will finish above us. We definitely have better squad than both yours and Tottenham one.

Last edited:

Dominos

Starting with Ralf's first game against Palace at home we had a very very kind fixture list up for around 10 games - we needed to make the most of these and establish ourselves in 4th place with a bit of breathing room for the run-in.

We've already dropped points against Newcastle and Wolves getting outplayed, and very lucky not to drop points at Norwich getting outplayed, and frankly the Palace game was a bit shite too no matter what people say.

I've got absolutely no faith we're getting 4th. We're in a bad position to begin with and we can't even put in a half decent performance against the worst teams in the league.

Big Poppa

Supports
Arsenal
I disagree. Spurs have been very good in the league. They should've beat Liverpool as well. Arsenal will flop as usual whenever they face any decent side.

Spurs are 2 points behind Arsenal with 2 games in hand.
We brushed Spurs, Leicester and West Ham aside. Since Martinelli replaced Auba we’ve been smashing lower half teams too. Only top 3 we’ve struggled against which every other side in the league has too.

Spurs massively overrated on this forum. Liverpool aside, Conte’s had a blissful run of fixtures.

the_cliff

We brushed Spurs, Leicester and West Ham aside. Since Martinelli replaced Auba we’ve been smashing lower half teams too. Only top 3 we’ve struggled against which every other side in the league has too.

Spurs massively overrated on this forum. Liverpool aside, Conte’s had a blissful run of fixtures.
Leicester are not in form at all, Spurs when you played them were not the same. West Ham was a good performance i'll admit. If you come away from wolves and Spurs with 6 points I'd say your favourites. However, I highly doubt it, more likely you'll get one point from those 2 fixtures.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not looking good for us. On paper were much better than Spurs and Arsenal but we've shot ourselves in the foot with that run under Ole and Rangnick is just an interim coach. Spurs have a top class manager and Arsenal have a settled one whose signed much of their current squad.

footyfan019

Supports
Arsenal
4th position will be very close finish. Spurs are ahead but they still have games against Chelsea, Liverpool,City and United all away games plus Arsenal at home. Arsenal only have United at home and Spurs away. Spurs game on 16th Jan will be a 6 pointer.

NoPace

Not looking good for us. On paper were much better than Spurs and Arsenal but we've shot ourselves in the foot with that run under Ole and Rangnick is just an interim coach. Spurs have a top class manager and Arsenal have a settled one whose signed much of their current squad.
I'm not sure we're actually better than Arsenal on paper anymore. Bruno for Odegaard, Sancho for Martinelli, Cristiano for Lacazette and De Gea for Ramsdale, but their back 4 looks settled and is much younger and more mobile than ours and they at least have Partey who would walk into our team even if he hasn't been great for them so far. Saka outplaying any of our wingers too.

I think we underrate how immobile our team is. Liverpool play 3 wingers up top and City play 5 attacking mids basically. Our quickest players in short distances are probably, what, Sancho and Fred I guess, and everyone else seems to only be fast over long distances.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Can't believe we are going another year without Champion's League. Damn, that's going to be fustrating and depressing. Absolute joke of a sqaud. Get 'em all out.
I think this interim mgr is going to get rid of a few players if he is kept on as DOF with a new mgr coming in next season. I know he is getting slated by some for his performances so far but I believe he’s looking at the bigger picture and not too concerned about the present. He said all the right things as far as players fitting into his system( ie Ronaldo), but I believe once the season is done and the mgr comes in then some players heads will roll and the team will start to transform into what he and the new mgr wants. I suspect it’s going to be ten Hag working with him. I think that’s been the plan all along unfortunately for the rest of the league.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I'm not sure we're actually better than Arsenal on paper anymore. Bruno for Odegaard, Sancho for Martinelli, Cristiano for Lacazette and De Gea for Ramsdale, but their back 4 looks settled and is much younger and more mobile than ours and they at least have Partey who would walk into our team even if he hasn't been great for them so far. Saka outplaying any of our wingers too.

I think we underrate how immobile our team is. Liverpool play 3 wingers up top and City play 5 attacking mids basically. Our quickest players in short distances are probably, what, Sancho and Fred I guess, and everyone else seems to only be fast over long distances.
They wouldn't take Sancho over Martinelli, or De Gea over Ramsdale for what he gives them playing out from the back. They are a better balanced side than us now.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
well, I said not playing Wolves for Arsenal was good thing.
regarding United result today I was right…
Yes but we're in pretty woeful transition and Arsenal were in good form.
There's no way Arsenal at the time wouldn't have won.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Not making it, we're woeful and have been all season really, so its unrealistic to expect our form to suddenly pick up again. I just cannot face the EL league again, or worse, the conference league, so as daft as this sounds, I hope we finish 8th if we cannot get into the CL places.

TheLord

West Ham will fall off to 7th or 8th soon.
Arsenal will have their usual meltdown.
The only team that worries me is Spurs with Conte. They should be our main competitors for fourth.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
4th position will be very close finish. Spurs are ahead but they still have games against Chelsea, Liverpool,City and United all away games plus Arsenal at home. Arsenal only have United at home and Spurs away. Spurs game on 16th Jan will be a 6 pointer.
Chelsea? Liverpool?

OleksUsykUD

People are giving up way too easily on here. This is PL and you are always going to lose to a lesser time. This ain't a La Liga where you can make insane runs, cause most team don't know what tactics and defense is, and play wide open.

You are always going to lose points against "smaller" teams. Yeah we don't look good in last coupe of matches, but in football a lot of things can change very fast, very quickly.

We still have way better squad compare to Arsenal and Tottenham. At the end of the day that may not be enough, but that's on our board though. They had the opportunity and let it slip.

But i still believe and favor us, even after bad result like this. This ain't a title race, this is a battle against Arsenal and Tottenham, and damn i will never favor them over us, no matter what.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'd probably have Arsenal as favourites now. Most settled manager, who's got them playing relatively good football. I'd have us 2nd favourites now with Conte, mostly due to him really. The squad has a lot of deadweight now but he's already made a big impact.

Think West Ham will fall away, as good a job as Moyes has done.

Man Utd have the best squad on paper but I don't really understand what's going on there anymore if I'm honest.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
After watching yesterdays game, for the first time I don't have Utd as finishing top 4. After the last 4 or 5 performances, I just don't see them going on a winning run of note, especially considering this is meant to be their easier run of fixtures.

I now think if there is a winner in the North London Derby, that team will be favourites for 4th place, & because its Conte with Spurs at home, & we still don't seem to have the balance right in the big away games, I fear that's going to be Spurs.

Bestietom

If we are seriously thinking of getting the top 4th spot we just have to bring in 2 midfielders and maybe a forward this window.

BorisManUtd

I was confident but don't see us finishing top 4 anymore. It just seems we're a total mess. It could change with time and Rangnick being here longer but it doesn't look great atm.

ArunCph

Supports
Tottenham

The teams Arsenal have won against this season : 20th (twice), 19th, 18, 17th , 16th 14th, 13th 10th. And you beat 5th WestHam where game turned after a red card to them. And beat poor Spurs- but lets not forget the same Nuno's Spurs lost to Palace 3-0 as well. Arsenal have lost to any team that put up a fight.Arsenal probably the only team to play hapless Norwich twice already.

If Arsenal form is so superior, then they shouldn't be catchable , even if Spurs could win their games in hand.

As for Spurs, its not reasonable to compare current Conte team with Nuno. Under Nuno, we were terrible - having lost London derbies, not even creating a chance a game or being 20th in league for running stat.

Under Conte in PL: Played -8, Won-5, Draw-3, Cleansheet-5
We created more chances than Liverpool and in all honesty should have scored 3 times in 1st half. We were denied 2 goals against Southampton. In all games under Conte except Everton, we ran more created more than opponent. Kane has started scoring now as well

Lets see how the NLD plays out...

Reactions: Jippy

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
The teams Arsenal have won against this season : 20th (twice), 19th, 18, 17th , 16th 14th, 13th 10th. And you beat 5th WestHam where game turned after a red card to them. And beat poor Spurs- but lets not forget the same Nuno's Spurs lost to Palace 3-0 as well. Arsenal have lost to any team that put up a fight.Arsenal probably the only team to play hapless Norwich twice already.

If Arsenal form is so superior, then they shouldn't be catchable , even if Spurs could win their games in hand.

As for Spurs, its not reasonable to compare current Conte team with Nuno. Under Nuno, we were terrible - having lost London derbies, not even creating a chance a game or being 20th in league for running stat.

Under Conte in PL: Played -8, Won-5, Draw-3, Cleansheet-5
We created more chances than Liverpool and in all honesty should have scored 3 times in 1st half. We were denied 2 goals against Southampton. In all games under Conte except Everton, we ran more created more than opponent. Kane has started scoring now as well

Lets see how the NLD plays out...
Yaknow it doesn't matter who you beat.. you just need the 3 points.

Arsenal have:

United H
Chelsea A
Spurs A
Liverpool H

Spurs have:

Arsenal H
Chelsea A
City A
United A
LIverpool A

We have less big games, of which two are away while you have 4 away. I do agree though that the NLD is huge, neither side can afford to lose really.

And when you dig deeper into results, you speak about your Liverpool game, but ignore how we played against City. Then you ignore that we barely had a fit squad against City and and Chelsea at the start of the season. Then you ignore that the United and Everton games were fairly even. The only two games this season where we were significantly worse than the other team were Liverpool and Brighton (ignoring the first 3 games).

Tbh I think it's going to be close no matter what, but, if you beat us in the NLD, then i'd say you are favourites for it.

Reactions: Cheimoon

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Yaknow it doesn't matter who you beat.. you just need the 3 points.

Arsenal have:

United H
Chelsea A
Spurs A
Liverpool H

Spurs have:

Arsenal H
Chelsea A
City A
United A
LIverpool A

We have less big games, of which two are away while you have 4 away. I do agree though that the NLD is huge, neither side can afford to lose really.

And when you dig deeper into results, you speak about your Liverpool game, but ignore how we played against City. Then you ignore that we barely had a fit squad against City and and Chelsea at the start of the season. Then you ignore that the United and Everton games were fairly even. The only two games this season where we were significantly worse than the other team were Liverpool and Brighton (ignoring the first 3 games).

Tbh I think it's going to be close no matter what, but, if you beat us in the NLD, then i'd say you are favourites for it.
I don't think top 4 this season is the target for Arsenal. It is nice to get there but it really isn't a big deal to the team other than the CL money to the club. We still need to bring in competition to Xhaka, replace Aubameyang, and figure out what to do with Pepe. Any European football would be nice for next season. Happy to see the young players and new recruits are doing well and also the improvement of the game play is there to be seen.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
I don't think top 4 this season is the target for Arsenal. It is nice to get there but it really isn't a big deal to the team other than the CL money to the club. We still need to bring in competition to Xhaka, replace Aubameyang, and figure out what to do with Pepe. Any European football would be nice for next season. Happy to see the young players and new recruits are doing well and also the improvement of the game play is there to be seen.
Yh I agree in a way, it wasn't the target most likely this season. But, it's definently possible this season and we should aim for it.

We need four players imo: GK, RB, DM, ST.