The chase for 4th place (not top 4)

cyberman

Today is why I’m not that worried about top 4. It’s not as if this Arsenal or Spurs team will shut us out from next year if they have CL football. If Ten Hag is any sort of manager then we should be there or there abouts for it.

BulgarianDevil91

I understand the necessity for CL football and how much more appealing it makes our team for potential new players, but in my opinion it is best for Ten Hag that we don't finish in the top 4, purely because of the added stress and pressure those European games would provide.

I know it may sound daft, but against lesser opponents he'll have the ability to iron out mistakes and to clear tactical issues, which I assume won't be possible against the likes of of the top European clubs. Plus, UEL might provide ETH with the chance to win something even during his first season here.

Flexdegea

Our “team” absolutely fell apart as soon as Fred got injured.

Damning in itself ain't it.

Arteta and arsenal celebrating today, we back to celebrating the top 4 trophy. Be pathetic if they don't get it :lol:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
fecking unbelievable. Spurs drew and they need to play Arsenal and Liverpool yet. If we have won today, we would be favorite for 4th spot. Unbelievable how many chances we had for CL spot. And we blew it

BlueHaze

fecking unbelievable. Spurs drew and they need to play Arsenal and Liverpool yet. If we have won today, we would be favorite for 4th spot. Unbelievable how many chances we had for CL spot. And we blew it
Top 4 this year is just about who's the least shit out of these 3 bottling teams. Now we know that it will be Tottenham or Arsenal. Whichever out of these 2 will be completely chanceless in the CL either way and will most likely be knocked out the minute they reach the knock out stages.

The PL has become City and Liverpool. It's pathetic how bad the rest have become.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Think 70 points gets you top 4 this season.

Currently Arsenal have 60 points
Spurs have 58 points.

So Arsenal probably need 3 wins and a draw out of 5.

Spurs need 4 wins out of 5.

Arsenal Fixtures
West Ham (A)
Leeds (H)
Spurs (A)
Newcastle (A)
Everton (H)

Spurs Fixtures
Leicester (H)
Liverpool (A)
Arsenal (H)
Burnley (H)
Norwich (A)

gajender

Spurs have 58 points.

Arsenal Fixtures
West Ham (A)
Leeds (H)
Spurs (A)
Newcastle (A)
Everton (H)

Spurs Fixtures
Leicester (H)
Liverpool (A)
Arsenal (H)
Burnley (H)
Norwich (A)
66 points gets you top 4 this season, neither Arsenal or Tottenham are getting 70 points nor they need to .

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
66 points gets you top 4 this season, neither Arsenal or Tottenham are getting 70 points nor they need to .
I perhaps should rephrase that. If we assume Spurs lose at Anfield, they maximum they can reach is 70 points, that's why 70 assures it.

If you think 66 points gets it, then Arsenal would just need to win their 2 home games vs Leeds & Everton to get it. I'll be surprised if that's enough personally.

gajender

I perhaps should rephrase that. If we assume Spurs lose at Anfield, they maximum they can reach is 70 points, that's why 70 assures it.

If you think 66 points gets it, then Arsenal would just need to win their 2 home games vs Leeds & Everton to get it. I'll be surprised if that's enough personally.
Thing is both Arsenal and Tottenham are really average teams and I can see both of them really stuttering towards the finish line , It wouldn't come as a surprise if both of them struggle to get more than couple of wins their last 5 games if fact I am quite confident about it . Only One of them might get 66 and above points but none of them would reach 70 not a chance .

allen7

I believe Spurs will finish at 4th place. Simply because they have a good attacking lineup and a top manager compared to Arsenal.

The last 2 wins of Arsenal are mostly down to opponent’s mistakes and massive help from referees and VAR.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Looking at the chelsea vs west ham game, you have to admit that Moyes has built better team than ours...

C'est Moi Cantona

Arsenal are just way too annoying atm, feeding off their managers crazy nervous tension on the sidelines no doubt. if Arsenal do get it they'll be expecting a guard of honour, as they line up for the non existent trophy on the last day.

I'm surprised I feel like that, but I really hope Spurs beat them to it.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Yea, yea just last season the 4th place team got 67 points so the 4th place probably achieves more in the league than that. You've become the new bitters
And this is why Arsenal fans shouldn't have nice things, fecking annoying the lot of you

BurgerVan

Supports
Arsenal
Luckhurst is a complete chump who chats myopic rubbish.

The 4th place team will likely get enough points to have claimed 3rd in recent seasons. Such an embarrassing, bitter statement from him. I am almost certain he was sitting in his pants anger crying when he tweeted that.

All because United look out of the race. Odd and pathetic.

Last edited:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

Spurs have 58 points.

Arsenal Fixtures
West Ham (A)
Leeds (H)
Spurs (A)
Newcastle (A)
Everton (H)

Spurs Fixtures
Leicester (H)
Liverpool (A)
Arsenal (H)
Burnley (H)
Norwich (A)
wouldn't shock me if Newcastle beat arsenal

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
wouldn't shock me if Newcastle beat arsenal
That's very possible you know, we always have a hard time up there no matter the scoreline. Plus they have the best Bruno in the league.

AFC NimbleThumb

Yea, yea just last season the 4th place team got 67 points so the 4th place probably achieves more in the league than that. You've become the new bitters
United aren’t even Medicore at this point so forget about us but would you say Spurs & Arsenal have been anything more than mediocre this season?

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
You don't have to sound bitter and degrade the other teams, it is not like 4th place is an amazing achievement in the first place. The fact is there are two teams who are far ahead of the other teams. Next year 4th place is up for grabs again, and maybe so will 3rd as well. Whoever gets 3rd and 4th will be at least slightly better than the rest. It has nothing to do with 4th place "standards".

JDDL

Supports
Arsenal
Lots of people throwing around words like 'average' and 'medicore' to describe teams finishing in the top quarter of the top league in England!

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
I believe Spurs will finish at 4th place. Simply because they have a good attacking lineup and a top manager compared to Arsenal.

The last 2 wins of Arsenal are mostly down to opponent’s mistakes and massive help from referees and VAR.
Forcing and capitalizing on mistakes is one the best ways to score goals. Not every goal will be a perfectly worked move.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
I still believe it is 50-50 as to who will pick up 4th between Spurs and Arsenal. One thing I am comforted by is that other than Palace we haven't been outplayed in the second half of the season. Still a number of things are off. For example I could barely watch every time the ball was anywhere near Tavares or Cedric. Too many players have a poor first touch to be consistently playing it out from the back and in general we move the ball way too slowly most of the time. So there are definitely issues for Arteta to work out but I feel this whole young team and manager are starting to grow in the right direction overall. We obviously miss a first rate forward, but other than that we are in position of wanting rather than needing.

No illusions that we will be challenging Pool and City anytime soon though.