The club have scrapped the club's annual Player of the Year ceremony in the wake of their worst-ever Premier League season.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I’m confused. Is it just the ceremony that’s being cancelled? Or the award
Just the ceremony.

The players will still get their awards, a public whipping through the streets of Manchester, Cersei style. I can't wait to see that :drool:

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Trying to kick out Ronaldo I see :lol:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Corrected that for you, no need to thank me.

The current is pretty much equal part LVG, Jose and Ole signings - 2 or 3 of the players go as far back as Moyes and Fergie.
Do they?

SAF's team: DDG, Jones
Moyes: Mata
LVG: Shaw, Martial
Mou: Grant, Lindelof, Bailly, Dalot, Pogba, Fred, Matic
Ole: Heaton, Bishop, Maguire, Varane, Mcshane, Telles, AWB, Diallo, Bruno, Pellistri, VDB, Ronaldo, Cavani, Sancho

So

SAF = 2
Moyes = 1
LVG = 2
Mou = 7
Ole = 14

Ole has more players in this team then all other managers COMBINED. That forgetting the many many contract extensions that happened under Ole. People like Grant, Bailly and Mata who are pretty useless

Irwin99

I'm kind of glad the awards will still go ahead even if it's a crap season. I just like seeing the names of the players who've won it down the years. I'm weird like that :D

Was looking back at our past winners and was initially surprised to see DDG won it in 2018 when we came second and then i remembered how dire the football was, particularly in the second half of the season, so i shouldn't be that surprised. Only ones i disagree with are:

Heinze was pretty good in 2004-05 but Rooney should have won it (Keane actually had a good season as well)
Scholes should have won it in 2011-2012 despite only playing half the season
Shaw was the best of a very bad bunch in 2018-2019 but maybe Pogba could have won it with his goals.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Do they?

SAF's team: DDG, Jones
Moyes: Mata
LVG: Shaw, Martial
Mou: Lindelof, Bailly, Dalot, Pogba, Fred, Matic
Ole: Maguire, Varane, Telles, AWB, Bruno, Ronaldo, Cavani, Sancho

So

SAF = 2
Moyes = 1
LVG = 2
Mou = 7
Ole = 14

Ole has more players in this team then all other managers COMBINED. That forgetting the many many contract extensions that happened under Ole. People like Grant, Bailly and Mata who are pretty useless
You can remove Grant, Heaton, Bishop, Mcshane, Diallo, Pellestri and VDB from the list as they aren't members of the first-team squad / haven't featured enough over the years to be relevant.

So it's more like:

SAF's team: DDG, Jones (2)
Moyes: Mata (1)
LVG: Shaw, Martial (2)
Mou: Lindelof, Bailly, Dalot, Pogba, Fred, Matic (6)
Ole: Maguire, Varane, Telles, AWB, Bruno, Ronaldo, Cavani, Sancho (8)

A United team :)

Corridor of Uncertainty

You can remove Grant, Heaton, Bishop, Mcshane, Diallo, Pellestri and VDB from the list as they aren't members of the first-team squad / haven't featured enough over the years to be relevant.

So it's more like:

They were still signed by Ole. And at great cost too. Talking more than than £80 million for Diallo, Donny and Pellestri alone, and he didn't have a plan for a single one of them. Throwing £80 million down the shitter shouldn't be seen as some sort of saving grace for him.

Christ he even thought about playing Sancho as a wing back.

Last edited:

devilish

So it's more like:

VDB was our summer big signing during that year. Diallo and Pellestri were bought for serious money (for youth talent). The former can't even break into the Rangers team so well done to our transfer committee and the guy who helped restructure the recruitment department in the past few years. God knows why on earth we signed Mcshane and Heaton as they weren't even good enough to play with United at their PRIME let alone in their mid 30s. I guess its the same good vibes/mates favour we utilized when we gave contract extensions to the likes of Grant and Mata despite knowing, fully well, that they aren't good enough.

Ole spent over 400m on a squad that won nothing and need to be completely be rebuilt. Meanwhile because of his obsession in hoarding players so many players are leaving on a free which means little money for the ETH to utilize to rebuild this side. That's the closest to the Cardiffisation of Manchester United I can think off

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
VDB was our summer big signing during that year. Diallo and Pellestri were bought for serious money (for youth talent). The former can't even break into the Rangers team so well done to our transfer committee and the guy who helped restructure the recruitment department in the past few years. God knows why on earth we signed Mcshane and Heaton as they weren't even good enough to play with United at their PRIME let alone in their mid 30s. I guess its the same good vibes/mates favour we utilized when we gave contract extensions to the likes of Grant and Mata despite knowing, fully well, that they aren't good enough.

Ole spent over 400m on a squad that won nothing and need to be completely be rebuilt. Meanwhile because of his obsession in hoarding players so many players are leaving on a free which means little money for the ETH to utilize to rebuild this side. That's the closest to the Cardiffisation of Manchester United I can think off
They were still signed by Ole. And at great cost too. Talking more than than £80 million for Diallo, Donny and Pellestri alone, and he didn't have a plan for a single one of them. Throwing £80 million down the shitter shouldn't be seen as some sort of saving grace for him.

Christ he even thought about playing Sancho as a wing back.
LVG - £258.6m
Jose Mourinho – £363.8m
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer – £373.6m

Between the three of them, they spent just shy of £1 billion building/rebuilding this team. You can argue until you're blue in the face as to which manager performed the worst - it's negligible either way IMO - but the one thing we can really agree on is that they all failed to devastating effect, and each of them is in equal measure responsible for the state of the squad today.

This is not the right thread for this discussion.

devilish

LVG - £258.6m
Jose Mourinho – £363.8m
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer – £373.6m

Between the three of them, they spent just shy of £1 billion building/rebuilding this team. You can argue until you're blue in the face as to which manager performed the worst - it's negligible either way IMO - but the one thing we can really agree on is that they all failed to devastating effect, and each of them is in equal measure responsible for the state of the squad today.

This is not the right thread for this discussion.
I am not suggesting that LVG, Mou or Moyes were a success far from it. However they were better then Ole was. First of all LVG and Mou actually brought trophies to this club something Ole didn't. This is the first time since before Atkinson that a permanent manager had been signed and was not able to win anything with United. Secondly most of Mou's, Moyes's and LVG's signings were given contract extensions under Ole, so I guess good vibes liked what he saw. Finally never in our history had we had a team imploding the way it did, with so many players leaving on a free, a salary bill that had spiralled out of control and nothing to show for. As said, nothing stinks of the Cardiffisation of Manchester United then this.

Having the player of the year ceremony cancelled because they are too ashamed to face the fans is the typical of the mess Ole and his spineless team left behind. I am saddened that it affected staff that actually deserved to be celebrated (the youths and the women team)

micmac

Yeah ok, let's cancel the awards ceremony because the first team has been garbage and overlook the achievements of the youth teams and the women's team.

Halftrack

Hell, you're making a meal out of a trivial thing, just because we're saying the truth.
You seem very intent on driving home the point that NO ONE gives a SHIT about the women and they are INFERIOR to the men's team, which is entirely different to saying that the men's team is the clubs biggest and most popular asset by far.

Still, none of that has anything to do with the suggestion the club events should be club events, and them taking place shouldn't hinge on the fortunes of any one team. It's pretty shit to cancel the official club end of season ceremony just because the men's team were shit. Why do the others need to be punished for it?

MUW4Eva

You seem very intent on driving home the point that NO ONE gives a SHIT about the women and they are INFERIOR to the men's team, which is entirely different to saying that the men's team is the clubs biggest and most popular asset by far.

Still, none of that has anything to do with the suggestion the club events should be club events, and them taking place shouldn't hinge on the fortunes of any one team. It's pretty shit to cancel the official club end of season ceremony just because the men's team were shit. Why do the others need to be punished for it?
Thank you for saying all of this, it is a very crucial distinction that needs to be made, and one thar is seemingly getting missed for some reason by a lot of people sadly.

Halftrack

Thank you for saying all of this, it is a very crucial distinction that needs to be made, and one thar is seemingly getting missed for some reason by a lot of people sadly.
Some seem to take great exception to the idea that the women's team should, on any level, be treated equal to the men's team, even when it comes to respect and recognition from their employer.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
After a loss, I can well imagine Lingard and Pogba having a dance.
In all seriousness though, this year, we've been a bunch of losers. We'll play later today and without Ronaldo, I expect us to lose again.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I know very few will agree with me, but if you take Ronaldo and DDG out of the equation, where would the award go? For me, it's Lindelof: easily our best CB this season with some very very very good performances. His errors are highlighted in the Caf more than most and some did prove costly but we'd have conceded a hell of a lot more goals without him. But as I say, I know I won't change most people's mind set

Vapor trail

Uniteds first team (men's) has been shambolic. Don't follow the United women's team so can't give any analysis on the respective season. The youth teams FA cup win also a solid achievement.

Trying to iron out the best method for awards recognition given the circumstances is a back and forth conversation because the club have back and forth owners. Remember hearing Rio speaking about United's lack of empathy for player send offs (after the Lingard debacle) the likes of himself, Keane and Neville getting no appreciation for their services despite decades worth of commitment. Considering the retrospective actions of the club towards the legends is this current predicament any surprise ?

Last edited:

MUW4Eva

And rightfully so, to say this seasons been an embarrassment would be an understatement.
"Rightfully so"???

So you are happy that because one team, out of many that represent the club, has underperformed, that means the while event should be cancelled??

This night is about far more than any one individual team, it is about celebrating the collective merits of ALL of the players, and staff that work at the club.

Why is that seemingly so hard for a fair few people to comprehend and understand??

choccy77

Congratulations to David De Gea winning Players, players of the year award.