The club have scrapped the club's annual Player of the Year ceremony in the wake of their worst-ever Premier League season.

CloneMC16

Good. It would have been a joke to have that event after such a shit season.

Bosws87

I'm getting a bit worried we seem to be making a lot of sensible decisions.

Djemba-Djemba

Amazing and incredibly rare bit of self awareness from the players and the club.

I fully expected to see photos from the award do of Lingard with his tie around his head doing some stupid fecking dance. After we've just lost 3-0 to Palace.

CodeRed

Should have renamed it worst player of the year award.

Let about 9 players sweat for about 2 hours before Rashford had to go on stage.

van Nistelrooy

Good decision that should have been followed in a few post-SAF seasons.

The awards should still be 'issued'. Presumably all to de Gea and Ronaldo...

Smores

Probably worried they'd be more fighting with booze thrown into the mix :lol:

No one cares anyway the interim hates the players, the players hate the manager, the players hate each other.

Dannn411

Probably Ronnie who forced their hand. Only one in the squad with the mentality to recognise that an award ceremony at this time would be a disaster.

Avero

Who would even have won it? Surely not a single player should feel like they actually earned such an award

crossy1686

career ending
They could be given rotten tomatoes.
We could have sold eggs outside
Back in the days when people being locked in a stock was commonplace, the plates that people would eat off were made of lead. As a result, lot's of people died from lead poisoning and a direct correlation was made between eating tomatoes and being poisoned to death, as the acidity of the tomato would activate and release the lead into the vegetable. Which gives a whole new sinister meaning to throwing tomatoes at people back in the days. Interesting piece of history.

Withnail

Back in the days when people being locked in a stock was commonplace, the plates that people would eat off were made of lead. As a result, lot's of people died from lead poisoning and a direct correlation was made between eating tomatoes and being poisoned to death, as the acidity of the tomato would activate and release the lead into the vegetable. Which gives a whole new sinister meaning to throwing tomatoes at people back in the days. Interesting piece of history.
You've sent me off down a rabbit hole. Quite interesting but it would seem, according to this article at least, the lead thing is a bit of myth. Although they did think tomatoes were poisonous.

https://www.foodandwine.com/lifesty...pensive-dishes-stopped-people-eating-tomatoes

choccy77

So unfair on Ronaldo

He was the only contender from the moment he signed.

De Gea ... honourable mention.

MUW4Eva

Good decision in the end.

It would have been De Gea by a landslide anyway.
Why was it a good decision??

There is far more to the club as a whole, then just the men's first team.

This was an opportunity to showcase just how successful this season has been for the club at youth level especially, with the women's developmental side doing the double, and the boys side winning the FA Youth Cup.

I don't quite understand why people think that the club automatically equals or means, men's first team, when that just isn't the case at all.

What about all of the other awards that are handed out usually on the night, Young Player of the Season, U18's Player of the Season, & Women's Player of the Season, why is it a good thing to scrap giving those awards out, just because one team at the club has been poor??

If hypothetically next season, the women's first team has a poor season, say finishing 8th, but the men's finishes second in the league, (a big hypothetical I understand), would the awards still go ahead, or would they not due to one teams under performance??

This is why it is crazy, if and it is still a big if, this is actually the reason for not holding them, in what has been a really good season for the club overall.

Oranges038

Just bring them in one by one and give them each the old Joe Kinnear, "You're a cnut" line one after another.

Before giving them a kick up the hole with a steel cap boot and sending them all on their summer holidays together to Butlins for 3 weeks to build some team spirit.

Cloud7

Finally some self awareness. The social media posts alone would have been embarrassing. It’s good to see that the club realize it has simply not been good enough and all that usual stuff is tone deaf and not appropriate at this time.

stevoc

Feck sake and I was looking forward to seeing who would win manager of the year. There were some strong candidates this year with Ralf, Ole and Carrick bursting onto the scene.

MUW4Eva

It would be bad optics for the club if they go ahead. Good job
Why would it be bad optics for the club to hold an awards ceremony, when we have had a successful season for multiple teams this season??

Just because one out of many has a poor season, doesn't mean the club as a whole has had a poor season.

Why should the players that have done well, of which there are far more, then have not, suffer, that makes no sense whatsoever??

Why not celebrate those players and sides that have done fantastically well this season??

rooney2009

The Women’s and Youth Teams have had a great season so why punish them for the mediocrity of the 1st Team

MUW4Eva

Finally some self awareness. The social media posts alone would have been embarrassing. It’s good to see that the club realize it has simply not been good enough and all that usual stuff is tone deaf and not appropriate at this time.
What are you talking about?

The club isn't just the men's first team, the club is ALL of the teams and players that play and represent it, of which there are many more than just the men's first team.

Why would it not be appropriate to celebrate all of the successes that we have had this season?
We have had far more good this season than bad.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Feck sake and I was looking forward to seeing who would win manager of the year. There were some strong candidates this year with Ralf, Ole and Carrick bursting onto the scene.
Carrick would be a lock surely?

I was looking forward to winning the Scott McTominay award... I don't think Scott McTominay had much of a chance this year.

MUW4Eva

Just ignoring the double winning manager/head coach then??

stevoc

Carrick would be a lock surely?

I was looking forward to winning the Scott McTominay award... I don't think Scott McTominay had much of a chance this year.
And the Scott McTominay of the year this year is....

....Fred

MUW4Eva

The Women’s and Youth Teams have had a great season so why punish them for the mediocrity of the 1st Team
Exactly, they deserve to have the limelight shown on them.
This notion that the club automatically equals the men's first team is not only bizarre, it is completely wrong.

The club is much more than any one individual team, it is ALL of the teams, and an awards night is there to showcase what ALL of the sides and players have done in the past season.