The Community Shield is a trophy!

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
We laughed when liverpool won their plastic cup treble 15 odd years ago and now we are calling the Charity Shield a trophy?

Fine - its an award of sorts but its not important. Its a charity match with a shield given at the end of it.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
We laughed when liverpool won their plastic cup treble 15 odd years ago and now we are calling the Charity Shield a trophy?

Fine - its an award of sorts but its not important. Its a charity match with a shield given at the end of it.
jokingly

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
The Community shield nor the Super cup are major trophies.

It's so annoying when they are counted. When Barca win these sort of trophies they are always counted as being important.

manc exile

Supports
City
The community shield always has been and always will be a glorified friendly.

It raises loads of money for charity and its a good day out (win or lose), but thats it. In the scheme of all things football, it rates below the national league (thats conference to us old timers) playoff final

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It started as a friendly to raise money for the community, hence the "community" shield part. It's a glorified friendly but of course Sky try to big it up as something major.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
On a serious note, I think it's bizarre anyone would consider it an actual trophy.

World Game

Here's how i value the trophies.

1 Champions League Trophy = 4-5 EPL Trophies
1 EPL trophy = 4 FA Cups
1 FA Cup = 2 Europa League Trophies
1 Europa League Trophy = 1 League Cup
1 League Cup = 20 Community Shields.

So I would rather win Champions League once and be the best in Europe than win 800 Community Shields, a charity match between 2 teams. Of course this doesn't factor into the fact that competing in the Community Shield means you would have already won a major trophy. However people using this argument are really just trying to find justification to double count a league or FA cup trophy. I don't see anyone saying LVG won two trophies with us because he actually won the ICC (a harder competition than the CS) in his first season here? Yet we want to say Mourinho won a treble?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I'd take a Europa League over the FA cup any day of the week, let alone the League Cup. European trophies are hard to come by, we've all got a pile of FA and League cups.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Europa League is now far more important than the FA Cup. Nowadays the FA Cup ranks marginally better than the League Cup.

I mean we sacked Van Gaal pretty much the day we won the FA Cup! There's no way clubs value it highly now.

jackofalltrades

A trophy but the least importatnt one. Also I think until around 2004/5 it was shared if it ended in a draw so I woudn't count as one till after that. Which does nicely for us to leap way ahead of the Scousers. :)

Web of Bissaka

The least important trophy that named and looks like a shield.

Low valued because of its less impactful history and the connections with Charity, sounds like a friendly game.

Still, it's like a bonus first trophy to be won, whom only the EPL and FA cup holder can battle to win.

;) Better to win it than not, beating the other winning team from last season is pleasing.

stevoc

Here's how i value the trophies.

1 Champions League Trophy = 4-5 EPL Trophies
1 EPL trophy = 4 FA Cups

1 League Cup = 20 Community Shields.
Very little between the League cup and the FA Cup these days, the Europa league ranks comfortably above both.

Champions League > Premier League.
European cup competitions>Domestic cup competitions.

stevoc

A trophy but the least importatnt one. Also I think until around 2004/5 it was shared if it ended in a draw so I woudn't count as one till after that. Which does nicely for us to leap way ahead of the Scousers. :)
Nah it wasn't that late it was in 93 they stopped sharing it.

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
Was a good WUM until 'racism' I knew it was a joke then.

Still good though :lol:

World Game

I'd take a Europa League over the FA cup any day of the week, let alone the League Cup. European trophies are hard to come by, we've all got a pile of FA and League cups.
Very little between the League cup and the FA Cup these days, the Europa league ranks comfortably above both.

Champions League > Premier League.
European cup competitions>Domestic cup competitions.
I rate 1st in England over 17th best in Europe.

U99ted

It is a trophy, but just one that ranks beneath the FA Cup and League Cup.

Also try telling Athletic Bilbao fans that domestic supercups aren't trophies!

Last edited:

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
FFS.

The community shield is a friendly, the Emirates cup also isn't a trophy, neither is that weird champions cup thing in the summer.

Merlins beard.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Right, want to get this off my chest after seeing people in other threads trying to demean last season's treble. Any team that competes in the Community Shield must be winners because you have to win the League or the FA cup to make it, it's like a domestic Super Cup, end of chat. Why then, do feckers not give proper credit for the teams that win it and call it stuff like 'half a trophy' or 'sweet feck all'.
Know this: that kind of attitude is just another form of racism. If the Community Shield didn't have the word "community" in it I'm sure teams would pay it full respect and try harder than they already do to win the Premier League and thus qualify for it. So I suggest the FA change the Community Shield name to The Premier Shield or The Executive Trophy or something with more cachet and money appeal while very quietly giving some (but not too much) of the proceeds to a charity that helps poor people who live near football grounds. Hopefully one day it will be expanded to a full new season curtain raiser involving the team that won the Championship and the League Cup Winners in a group format anyway that was a proper treble last season, fact.
Good one @Needham

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Right, want to get this off my chest after seeing people in other threads trying to demean last season's treble. Any team that competes in the Community Shield must be winners because you have to win the League or the FA cup to make it, it's like a domestic Super Cup, end of chat. Why then, do feckers not give proper credit for the teams that win it and call it stuff like 'half a trophy' or 'sweet feck all'.
Know this: that kind of attitude is just another form of racism. If the Community Shield didn't have the word "community" in it I'm sure teams would pay it full respect and try harder than they already do to win the Premier League and thus qualify for it. So I suggest the FA change the Community Shield name to The Premier Shield or The Executive Trophy or something with more cachet and money appeal while very quietly giving some (but not too much) of the proceeds to a charity that helps poor people who live near football grounds. Hopefully one day it will be expanded to a full new season curtain raiser involving the team that won the Championship and the League Cup Winners in a group format anyway that was a proper treble last season, fact.
You can make about 7 subs, so it's clearly not a proper game.

Jaybomb

It's a trophy. It goes in our trophy cabinet and no team goes out there to "lose"

World Game

And how are you first in England if you win the FA Cup exactly?

Seeing as it's the 2nd biggest domestic prize in England.
Because every team in England competes in it so naturally first place goes to the best in England. In Europa League the best 16 teams in Europe don't compete. Naturally the winner is whichever team is 17th best in Europe.

stevoc

Because every team in England competes in it so naturally first place goes to the best in England. In Europa League the best 16 teams in Europe don't compete. Naturally the winner is whichever team is 17th best in Europe.
So Arsenal are the best team in England?

I think not, that logic still doesn't make much sense to me. Winning a random knockout cup competition with six rounds against teams in your own country is much easier than winning the Europa. Which is a group stage plus 4 home/away knockout rounds vs teams from all over Europe. The vast majority of people rank european cup competitions above domestic cups.

If you win the FA Cup you qualify to the higher competition which is the Europa League and in previous years the Cup Winners Cup. Which say it all really.