The conflict of interest in the Man Utd manager role

Alabaster Codify7

Not that it can be proved, but it's been pretty obvious with all our managers since SAF retired. Their last days at the club coincided with the woeful performances and leaks to the press. It's become part of the 'culture' of the club. That's why I think they have to answer to someone with job security. We're lacking this person at the club.

Regarding contract renewals I don't think the manager has much say. During the summer there were rumors the board vetoed Rojo moving to Everton because they were 'Rivals'. I also read somewhere Ed said that some players were given new contracts 'to protect our investment'. Most of them we can't move on because of their wages. I don't think the manager has any role in negotiating those. We could very well be a case study in how the sunken cost fallacy can ruin a business.

The incompetence at the club in recruiting, renewals and offloading is as clear as day. The fact that it's not clear who screwed up and why, what exactly is whose responsibility and how the different departments interact with each other is what really worries me.
Brilliant post actually. Totally agree with everything except I don't believe Ole should be this necessary guy with job security but everything else,yeah.

ROFLUTION

It must be frustrating if you’re Woodward and each time you fire a manager, the next one comes in and says the players the previous manager bought aren’t up to it and there’s a job on to dispose of players.
... But also completely predictable if you have a footballing brain/background as a footballminded CEO.

Surpriseeee, you hire two completely different managers in style, and oh Dear lord, what a surprise they dont want the same players at all. Oh well, its probably the managers' fault.

The bill cant possibly be this high, Because you, yourself as a clueless CEO, has ordered a new chef to use completely different ingredients.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Brilliant post actually. Totally agree with everything except I don't believe Ole should be this necessary guy with job security but everything else,yeah.
I'm not Ole out, but yes, ideally it would be a DOF to act as a buffer between the football side and the bean counting imbeciles.

Skills

Snitch

Another example of a situation where a DOF would have looked out for the best interests of the club and its most valuable asset?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Most clubs have a proper footballing structure we don’t.
Bingo. And that is the basic problem.
For any organisation to function properly, it has to have a well structured and high performing management structure.

Ours is neither well structured nor high performing.
And surprise surprise we are in decline.

RedCurry

The only way this is applicable is if we have any sort of identity, which we don't.

Once we decide the type of football we want to play, we have to develop a disciplined approach of targeting players months before the transfer window and signing them within days of transfer window opening. We then only hire managers that have a track record of playing the football we identify with. Trophies won or sentiment shouldn't be the criteria at all. Doing this ensures that consecutive managers will more or less like to work with same set of players instead of having to restart every time a new manager walks in. This is real continuity.

We went from SAF > Moyes > LVG > Jose > Ole. Each manager had nothing in common with the previous manager. Are we really going to act surprised that each manager has to start from scratch when they are almost entirely polar opposite of the manager before them?

Hughie77

I realy think the club is being run by Muppets who have not got a clue, transfer dealings are a shambles, can't they keep it quiet. Ie Evra , Vidic, the only time we new they were scouted was when the arrived in Jan window.

Now everyone knows who were looking at putting offers In for etc, that's not right, a bit more hush hush deals needed, get them in the door or signed before any wiff in press! I think the agent problems are there as well concerning it to be kept on the quiet,!
We are without doubt in a fecking mess with trying to get players in for right price, that is down to Woodward, who has thrown cash in the wrong direction for the wrong players since SAF .
We are becoming a joke , and it's annoying when you get taken the piss out of because you follow UTD, and in some extent you have to agree with what's being said.
Every follower of UTD will stick with there team, otherwise you are not if you do not. Us as fans supporters, are being short changed big time, by those who are running the football side of the club. I include the owners in that as well there just as much to blame .