The constant media calls for us to replace Martial

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It feels like every other day there’s a new “expert” in the media saying Martial isn’t good enough & needs replacing. Just in the last day we’ve seen Paul Scholes go on BT & say Harry Kane should be a bigger priority than Sancho because “United need a real number 9” and Paul Merson on sky sports saying that Martial isn’t reliable & we should replace with Kane. I’ve seen Savage, Murphy, Ince, and the like all come out with the same narrative.

What is going on here? Because these 2 aren’t isolated incidents. I see it all the time. Are these “pundits” even watching us play? Martial has been our most consistent forward this season, has 23 goals despite 2 months out & not taking pens. Yet it’s always him who the media call to be replaced. You really do have to question wether how nationality is playing a part here?

Don’t get me wrong Kane is a very good player, but he’s starting to develop a questionable injury record & I don’t think he would fit our forward as well as Martial does. He certainly shouldn’t be our “top priority” like Scholes thinks. Loved him as a player but he’s clueless at times as a pundit

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Lazy opinion developed out of a constant narrative played out by the media. Thankfully the management and the fans are actually watching us play.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Scholes said he really likes him on the BT coverage last night.

Was another thread needed for this?

Martial has been very good this season. Is Kane a better player? Yes.

Are Man Utd going to buy Kane? No.

Is there an agenda against Martial? No.

TheGodsInRed

If he was English the media would not be saying this.

It will all go quiet next season when he hits 30.

kkengvib

I think if Martial can maintain this form and replicate it next season, then I think the media will get off his back.
This is the first excellent season he has, and one really where he's played exclusively at the no.9 position.

Mr Smith

It is weird how often you'll hear opinions from pundits that make it seem like they're not actually watching the games. But I think a lot of it is the fact that some of these pundits just aren't all that clever or imaginative, and just say the most obvious thing. Football punditry has a real "jobs for the boys" vibe; you get pundits like Owen, Scholes and Ince that are clearly no good at it at all, but keep getting put on because of who they were as players.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I've been among Martial's harshest critics but after 23 goals and much improved consistency showing his best, an improvement in hold-up play and brilliant chemistry, it's so obvious he should be trusted as our 9 going forward. No idea how media feckwits point to Martial needing replacement at this time.

My crazy conspiracy theory is that they have a fetish of seeing English darling Harry Kane at United and wont let go of it.

dove

They are probably the same bunch of people who still think selling Lukaku was a mistake.

Smores

It feels like every other day there’s a new “expert” in the media saying Martial isn’t good enough & needs replacing. Just in the last day we’ve seen Paul Scholes go on BT & say Harry Kane should be a bigger priority than Sancho because “United need a real number 9” and Paul Merson on sky sports saying that Martial isn’t reliable & we should replace with Kane. I’ve seen Savage, Murphy, Ince, and the like all come out with the same narrative.

What is going on here? Because these 2 aren’t isolated incidents. I see it all the time. Are these “pundits” even watching us play? Martial has been our most consistent forward this season, has 23 goals despite 2 months out & not taking pens. Yet it’s always him who the media call to be replaced. You really do have to question wether how nationality is playing a part here?

Don’t get me wrong Kane is a very good player, but he’s starting to develop a questionable injury record & I don’t think he would fit our forward as well as Martial does. He certainly shouldn’t be our “top priority” like Scholes thinks. Loved him as a player but he’s clueless at times as a pundit
Yeah Scholes is just clueless that must be it.

Mr Smith

I wouldn't say there's an agenda against Martial but there is a deep scepticism of him from British pundits, which I think has probably resulted in a slow uptake on the fact that he's improved so much.

I think it's just worth a thread to complain about the state of punditry in the English game. They'll pretty much have any big name that can speak in complete sentences, which is really annoying. I've developed a deep dislike for Scholes as a pundit which is a real shame, because I reckon there would be other things in football he could do that he'd be really good at.

RyRy11

Lazy narrative based on Martial only hitting double figures this season and British media desperate for Kane to play for a big club

passing-wind

Has to be because Kane is British I can't see anything else being a factor when we have Martial who is an in form forward.

ZupZup

There has to be a touch of unconscious xenophobia about it... because you imagine if an English player had been putting in these performances for us? It's weird that he's still not getting the credit he deserves. This is why I truly hope he wins player of the year. It will benefit him the most.

Kostov

It's a lazy narrative that people love to push. For example I had a chat with a Dortmund fan last week, he is adamant that we are weak at the striker department and Martial is not good enough, we supposedly lack a proper striker like Haaland. I know he never watched Manchester United with Martial as the number 9 actually. I responded that we will be back for Haaland, they just need to develop him properly.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Its lazy journalism. Some of the hacks still have it in their head that you must run around for 90 minuets chasing lost causes because thats what a number nine should do.

Of course he has his moments where he is not in the game but since lock down he has come back looking a lot hungrier.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Once the impression is made, it's so much difficult to change the minds. One of the reason why poor performances gets overrated because of past reputation, likewise players like Martial will suffer from "lazy' tags.

It actually sums up the level of analysis.

AneRu

I genuinely do not believe Kane is better.
He is better his record speaks for itself but the question is for how much and what are the chances of him maintaining his level given that he has had a rough couple of seasons with injuries?

I think for the next couple of years Martial is alright and if he builds on this season then he will be in the elite category by then.

I doubt the football intelligence of someone who has seen us play this season, pre and post lockdown, who has seen what we have to put up with when Bruno, Matic, Pogba, Shaw and Maguire are out and then suddenly conclude that we should replace Martial.

Mcking

They don't have a clue. Martial will go down as our best striker of the Premier League era by the time he is done.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
I have a hunch (just a guess, you don't have to get incensed about it), that some form of white English guy bias exists in this thing.

Fracture90

Usual English bias + their desire for Kane to play for a big club and actually win some silverware.

CM10

There has always been a weird fixation on Martial in the media. I think it begun when Mourinho had him competing with Rashford for the LW spot - then all the stories of being lazy, not wanting it enough, not smiling enough etc started.

It seems to have stayed with him a bit which is weird given he has been the best striker in the league since the restart. He can only continue doing what he's doing.

romufc

It is weird to see fans stick it to the media whilst not long ago there was a thread discussing Has Martial done enough? Alot of the fans on there prior to lockdown were all about getting a proper No.9 Now that post lockdown he has shown his class the fans have all changed their opinion.

The media and other fans still think he is the inconsistent because they have not watched him play recently.

cyberman

He favours a more traditional number 9. It's hardly a controversial viewpoint. He conceded that Ole doesn't want to play that way. Not sure why people get so upset about it.
Kane isnt a traditional number 9 anymore. He tries dropping deep, drifting wide but isnt as good at that as the man he is touted to replace.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
based on this season? debatable

I wouldn’t trade Martial for Kane
In fairness if Ole can get Martial in poacher's positions, something I'd lost all hope of at one stage, then maybe he could get that silly Spurs sausage to stay in the box as well. He is a great striker when he's fit and not trying to be Xabi Alonso.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think if we win the Europa league with him leading the line and he hits close to 30 goals opinions will start to change on him. He’s still relatively unproven in the role, and the only way to change perceptions of him is to actually deliver. He’s had 3 years of inconsistency and sulking (United fans would say with good reason) so to an outsider it makes sense why that tag has stuck. This is his first season playing up front properly, and he’s on track for 25+ goals. I think we’ll see a change in the tide if he gets there.

Classical Mechanic

It is when its spending 100m plus on a position we dont need to strengthen
It depends how seriously you take I guess. We can't get Kane anyway and I agree that we don't need him but he was more getting at that a traditional number 9 is more important than another wide man, in his opinion. It's fine to disagree with that opinion but it's not some crazy outlandish viewpoint. Many top managers would agree.

E-mal

Scholes said he really likes him on the BT coverage last night.
Well if he likes him then he should recognize that his best season has come as him playing as a striker for us.

E-mal

Better finisher? Yes
Better player? Absolutely not!