The constant media calls for us to replace Martial

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Martial having an improved season and great chemistry with our attack is a boring story.

Kane to United would be a huge story and gets headlines, clicks and eyeballs etc.

Unfortunately real journalism is dead. Ever since headlines and stories made their way to social networks' newsfeed the need for accuracy and truth was flushed down the toilet.

BT And Sky just want pundits to say outrageous things or stories to drum up social media banter.

E-mal

Ok sweetheart, let me start by pointing out I didn’t reference any stats for Harry Kane. I said Richarlison creates more per the stats. It’s a simple fact that Richarlison created more chances than Martial last season. As did Jimenez. Get your facts right, son.
I'd better invest my time in something else. I did take you as a decent poster.
You said he's a better passer but when the stats was brought up, you claimed you didn't quote any stat. How else is he a better passer when the Martial had a better pass accuracy, better chance creation and better assist numbers.
Whats your point exactly?
I hope you know that Richarlison played in parts on the wings this season and had 40 more crosses than Martial right.
Jimenez, the guy that scored double figures of goals for the first time in his career in Europe last season at the age of 28! despite playing in the Portuguese league.
What's your argument really? That Richarlison is a better striker? That Martial does not offer more than Kane as a forward outside of goals despite the stats and the naked eye telling you differently?

Santoryo

ripping the reward
You said he's a better passer but when the stats was brought up, you claimed you didn't quote any stat. How else is he a better passer when the Martial had a better pass accuracy, better chance creation and better assist numbers.
I hope you know that Richarlison played in parts on the wings this season and had 40 more crosses than Martial right.
Jimenez, the guy that scored double figures of goals for the first time in his career in Europe last season at the age of 28! despite playing in the Portuguese league.
What's your argument really? That Richarlison is a better striker? That Martial does not offer more than Kane as a forward outside of goals despite the stats and the naked eye telling you differently?
The guy is one of the most avid and ardent anti-Martial you'll ever see on these boards, you're preaching to the choir if you're trying to convince him about anything positive with respect to Martial. You're better off not bothering :lol:

acnumber9

I based my opinion on Kane being a better passer from watching. Passing accuracy isn’t really a stat worth caring about because it has no context. Chris Smalling is an excellent passer going by completion stats. Kane has had his worst season in a long time so it’s no great surprise he hasn’t made a lot of goals but for me he has a better passing range than Martial. Stats can’t prove otherwise which is why I didn’t provide any or claim that I was using stats.

I did say Richarlison created more chances per stats and that’s because he did. Whether he crosses more than Martial or not means absolutely nothing.

Martial just scored double figures for the first time in his career this season too. We were talking about players who can currently do what Martial does. That includes Raul Jimenez.

My argument is that Martial isn’t so good that the idea he could be replaced is considered ridiculous. There isn’t a non Man United fan in the world that wouldn’t choose Kane above Martial if it was a straight choice. That doesn’t mean that I think we should sign him, I don’t. The ridiculous overrating and hero worship of a player who to date has achieved very little for Man United completely baffles me. If you read some people on this forum you would swear that Martial hasn’t got a single weakness.

HJ12

I think the problem with the Martial narrative is that the media focus is somehow on him as the area we need to strengthen this window, even though he's come off a very productive season. I mean the calls to prioritise the theoretical signing of Kane over Sancho is completely bizarre. Not because Martial is better than Kane, but because we have no right wing at all, and it's clear as day that a winger/ right sided forward player has been sorely lacking for a while now.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Pundits being good at kicking a ball when they were younger doesn't make them good at knowing what our our team needs.

They fall for media hype and whatever highlights they've seen on match of the day like any average fan. They won't watch all games. The only difference is they get paid to talk about it on a Saturday.

Shark

@NotShark
Sky Sports pundits are paid to follow a narrative, not really surprised by anything I hear anymore.

Glorio

Only if he actually scored them. He missed the penalty he did take. In minutes per goal he is being vastly out scored by an 18 year old in our own team. He’s been in very good form for the past two months. He’ll need to show he can perform for longer than that before we can talk about him being a long term fixture.
An 18 year old goal scoring freak of nature in particularly blistering form. Does anyone who's played more than 15 games have a better minutes per goal ratio than Greenwood? Not saying there's no one, it's actually an honest question

E-mal

I based my opinion on Kane being a better passer from watching. Passing accuracy isn’t really a stat worth caring about because it has no context. Chris Smalling is an excellent passer going by completion stats. Kane has had his worst season in a long time so it’s no great surprise he hasn’t made a lot of goals but for me he has a better passing range than Martial. Stats can’t prove otherwise which is why I didn’t provide any or claim that I was using stats.

I did say Richarlison created more chances per stats and that’s because he did. Whether he crosses more than Martial or not means absolutely nothing.

Martial just scored double figures for the first time in his career this season too. We were talking about players who can currently do what Martial does. That includes Raul Jimenez.

My argument is that Martial isn’t so good that the idea he could be replaced is considered ridiculous. There isn’t a non Man United fan in the world that wouldn’t choose Kane above Martial if it was a straight choice. That doesn’t mean that I think we should sign him, I don’t. The ridiculous overrating and hero worship of a player who to date has achieved very little for Man United completely baffles me. If you read some people on this forum you would swear that Martial hasn’t got a single weakness.
Actually mate you have no facts , Martial scored 11 league goals in his first season playing mostly from the wings. How about you cross check your facts.
Well passing accuracy is not the be all and end all but in terms of what they have done with the ball , Martial was superiorto Kane.

I can understand if you said Kane just had his worst season since his debut but the figures showed he has been slightly on the decline. If you think Kane is going to get better, why not extend that benefit of doubt to Martial?

Well united fans, at least most wont take Kane over Martial becuase we have been burnt before especially with players that we did attempt to repla e him with, ala Sanchez. Whenever a player begins to pick up injuries and is physically declining, however slightly be careful.
The argument by most fans is that the way we play doesn't fit a traditional number nine, hence why Martial fits our play. Jimenez is a nothing striker before his transfer to the EPL, and we have seen the likes of Odemwingie who where good for two seasons in the lather part of their career.

I firmly believe Martial is a better player than Jimenez right now and even at the same age. You'll find it hard to get benfica and ATM fans who will disagree.

E-mal

An 18 year old goal scoring freak of nature in particularly blistering form. Does anyone who's played more than 15 games have a better minutes per goal ratio than Greenwood? Not saying there's no one, it's actually an honest question
He doesnt have the facts, forget about him. He will come and shift the goal post.
Greenwood has a better goals per minute than Kane, Jimenez, Vardy and quite a few strikers. It isnt just Martial.

Jibbs

We do need a CF. Kane or Raul, to replace underperforming Rashford. Ideally I would like to see Martial Kane Sancho front three for United. Even Raul will do in place of Kane.

davidmichael

Regardless of whether Kane is better than Martial or not paying £150-£200 million on Kane with his fitness problems when we’ve got Greenwood coming through on top of an improving Martial would be sheer madness.

Our priority positions that need to be addressed or upgraded on in order of importance are right wing, defensive midfielder, centre back, attacking midfielder then left back and where we are strong at least til January is up top at centre forward and left wing.

People should remember that this is Martial’s FIRST season as a centre forward unless you count his debut season with us which I don’t as he was first choice, he’s missed two months of football through injury and scored 23 goals which could be added too in Europa.

At the very least he deserves next season to show he should be kept as first choice and with an ever improving Greenwood also putting pressure on him to perform we should see 25-30 goals next season injury permitting especially with a whole season supported by Sancho, Pogba, Fernandes and the partnership he’s developing with Rashford.

It’s all good pundits saying “go out and sign Kane” but there’s a reason they’re pundits and NOT managers or coaches, I love Scholes but Oldham didn’t work so well for him did it ? We’re not in a position of power either like we were when Scholes played and we had Sir Alex, when we could cherry pick other clubs best players domestically or other clubs would bow down to us.

Josep Dowling

It feels like every other day there’s a new “expert” in the media saying Martial isn’t good enough & needs replacing. Just in the last day we’ve seen Paul Scholes go on BT & say Harry Kane should be a bigger priority than Sancho because “United need a real number 9” and Paul Merson on sky sports saying that Martial isn’t reliable & we should replace with Kane. I’ve seen Savage, Murphy, Ince, and the like all come out with the same narrative.

What is going on here? Because these 2 aren’t isolated incidents. I see it all the time. Are these “pundits” even watching us play? Martial has been our most consistent forward this season, has 23 goals despite 2 months out & not taking pens. Yet it’s always him who the media call to be replaced. You really do have to question wether how nationality is playing a part here?

Don’t get me wrong Kane is a very good player, but he’s starting to develop a questionable injury record & I don’t think he would fit our forward as well as Martial does. He certainly shouldn’t be our “top priority” like Scholes thinks. Loved him as a player but he’s clueless at times as a pundit
Rene Meulesteen said the exact same thing on Talksport yesterday. Completely disagree with him. As you say Martial has been in top form as the CF. I don’t think we need Kane at all. Plus they act like we can offer £100m and he would leave Spurs.

Dante

Average bang
If you had to pick between these two frontlines, which would you go for?

Martial -- RvN -- Greenwood

or

Martial -- Saha -- Greenwood

I don't think the answer is clear cut, and it's perfectly understandable to want an RvN-type up front.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It’s a strange one.

martial seems to making the position his own, but if he gets injured or loses form, Rashfordor Greenwood can deputise, with Sancho filling in.

at best, we need an Ighalo type forward from bench: a player happy to be a squad player who also offers something different.

so this thesis that we need to sign another 20+ a season goal scorer makes no sense at all. We certainly don’t need Kane as that would require us to re write a lot of our tactics around him.

RUCK4444

Truth is, until this season he hasn't been anywhere near the level required to be the out and out Manchester United no. 9 Let's be honest.

He turned it on this season, so lets see how he does next year. I'll be honest and admit I lost patience with Tony a while back but this season he's been great and I can't knock him. The key however is keeping that hunger and desire in him, that's Ole's job now with Tony.

I'm really hoping that Sancho with his great linkup would see Martial kick onto an even higher gear.

That said, Greenwood is ultimately going to be the no. 9 - it's just a matter of time.

RUCK4444

Rene Meulesteen said the exact same thing on Talksport yesterday. Completely disagree with him. As you say Martial has been in top form as the CF. I don’t think we need Kane at all. Plus they act like we can offer £100m and he would leave Spurs.
I think what these pundits question is the desire, there is an ever present question over which Martial will turn up to a game.

That's his doing, he needs to change people's opinion, this season was a good start to that. Let's hope he can prove all doubters wrong next season as well.

Walters_19_MuFc

Not sure. Most have always said they would love to see how Martial fares with creative players around him.

Even before the arrival of Bruno and a settled starting XI, I felt he was doing well. With the inclusion of Bruno, Pogba and co., he's taken his game to another level. His all round game is up there with the best, in my opinion, and at this given time, I wouldn't swap him for anyone.

Massive credit to Ole for moving him into that 9 role and giving him the shirt back. Feck you, Jose!

Walters_19_MuFc

Truth is, until this season he hasn't been anywhere near the level required to be the out and out Manchester United no. 9 Let's be honest.

He turned it on this season, so lets see how he does next year. I'll be honest and admit I lost patience with Tony a while back but this season he's been great and I can't knock him. The key however is keeping that hunger and desire in him, that's Ole's job now with Tony.

I'm really hoping that Sancho with his great linkup would see Martial kick onto an even higher gear.

That said, Greenwood is ultimately going to be the no. 9 - it's just a matter of time.
That's probably because this season is the only season he's been consistently played as a 9.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

This is martial’s first season as our starting no 9.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
If you want to win the league 17 league goals from your top scorer usually isn’t enough. Lukaku got 16 in 17/18 and he wasn’t good enough.
first, Lukaku did well to get to 16 in a United side with a dead right flank and no creativity outside of Pogba.

Second, it's a gross over exaggeration to claim a top scorer having 17 goals can't win you a league title. Chelsea won the league title with Hazard on just 17 goals.

Even this season Mane and Salah had just 18 and 19. Yet their team finished comfortably at top the pile

This obsession people have with 20 goal a season strikers is simply way too over blown. One simply has to see that the top 3 scorers in the league did not play for the title winners, plus the position of a Spurs on the table, to understand it's really not a prerequisite for league title success nor for competing for the title.

A United are far better off fixing remaining weaknesses in their defence, the hole on the right flank of the attack and the creativity issue on the bench/second string. Just like Liverpool did. Than wasting time adding a 20 league goals a season striker to the current set up. So that he can hit 20-25 in the league whilst the club finishes a galaxy behind the eventually title winners.

Last edited:

RUCK4444

That's probably because this season is the only season he's been consistently played as a 9.
He's had stints though and likewise he has started almost every game he's been fit for us in his time here, he's previously not shown enough to warrant the position.

It's an easy get out to just say 'ah well it's his first full season as the no 9' There were massive period where he was inconsistent and his attitude was questioned.

You don't come to a club our size and demand the no 9 spot when your a kid who's totally unproven and inconsistent. Same as Greenwood is having to fight his way into contention for it from the wing.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Exactly.

But it’s a completely random bar to set. Lukaku scored one less two years ago and it wasn’t anywhere near enough. When did 17 goals become the benchmark for a striker that is ludicrous to think could be improved on?
When it is constantly over looked that United was not dripping with creativity this season until the arrival of Bruno fernandes. Yet both United's top scorers in a team sorerly lacking creativity scored 17 league goals each. 2 and 1 goal behind those of the team that won the league title by a galaxy.

For anyone to claim the bar is random to set is just way laughable. Because a bar hasn't even been set. Simply holes in the 'improve on the striker" argument have been exposed.

Walters_19_MuFc

He's had stints though and likewise he has started almost every game he's been fit for us in his time here, he's previously not shown enough to warrant the position.

It's an easy get out to just say 'ah well it's his first full season as the no 9' There were massive period where he was inconsistent and his attitude was questioned.

You don't come to a club our size and demand the no 9 spot when your a kid who's totally unproven and inconsistent. Same as Greenwood is having to fight his way into contention for it from the wing.
Stints are clearly not enough. Any player, especially a number 9, needs a run of games to prove themselves, and Martial has had that this season.

The limited games he got under Van Gaal as a 9 was a clear sign that he had potential to play there, but once Van Gaal went, Ibrahimovic and Lukaku were bought in, and regardless of how they played, they knew the would start the next game.

As I said, this is the first season Martial has had a chance to prove himself as a 9, and in my opinion, he's done a really good job,

RUCK4444

Stints are clearly not enough. Any player, especially a number 9, needs a run of games to prove themselves, and Martial has had that this season.

The limited games he got under Van Gaal as a 9 was a clear sign that he had potential to play there, but once Van Gaal went, Ibrahimovic and Lukaku were bought in, and regardless of how they played, they knew the would start the next game.

As I said, this is the first season Martial has had a chance to prove himself as a 9, and in my opinion, he's done a really good job,
I agree he's done well this season as per my previous posts. The argument is that he was inconsistent and didn't take his chances in that position under LVG and subsequently followed that up by being inconsistent and moody on the wing which, in answer to the OP, is what has left a question mark over him for some pundits and fans.

I don't want to come across as though I'm giving him a hard time and I want it to work for him as much as anybody, just pointing out why some still reserve judgement on him.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
That just isn’t true though. And I hated Lukaku as much as anyone but he created more chances for teammates than Martial has this season as a whole. People are allowing his very good form the last two months to colour their opinion of the season as a whole.
That’s a load of garbage. Lukaku couldn’t bring anyone into the game, guy cant control a ball. If you need people to tell you Martial is miles better than football isn’t for you.

acnumber9

Actually mate you have no facts , Martial scored 11 league goals in his first season playing mostly from the wings. How about you cross check your facts.
Well passing accuracy is not the be all and end all but in terms of what they have done with the ball , Martial was superiorto Kane.

I can understand if you said Kane just had his worst season since his debut but the figures showed he has been slightly on the decline. If you think Kane is going to get better, why not extend that benefit of doubt to Martial?

Well united fans, at least most wont take Kane over Martial becuase we have been burnt before especially with players that we did attempt to repla e him with, ala Sanchez. Whenever a player begins to pick up injuries and is physically declining, however slightly be careful.
The argument by most fans is that the way we play doesn't fit a traditional number nine, hence why Martial fits our play. Jimenez is a nothing striker before his transfer to the EPL, and we have seen the likes of Odemwingie who where good for two seasons in the lather part of their career.

I firmly believe Martial is a better player than Jimenez right now and even at the same age. You'll find it hard to get benfica and ATM fans who will disagree.
What has his first season got to do with anything? He had a good first season. I never said or intimated any different. I also never said Kane will get better and Martial won’t. You’re inventing an argument that nobody is having. I’m leaving you to it.

acnumber9

That’s a load of garbage. Lukaku couldn’t bring anyone into the game, guy cant control a ball. If you need people to tell you Martial is miles better than football isn’t for you.
Never said Lukaku was better, just that what Martial has done this season isn’t so extraordinary that he couldn’t possibly be bettered. Learn to read. Lukaku created more chances for his teammates in host first season than Martial has this season per the Premier League’s stats. Nothing to do with opinions.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Same here. Last summer I wanted a striker or keeping Lukaku. Now Martial has shown he can really do it. We also if we get Sancho has enough options on the wings so that we can play Greenwood, Ighalo or Rashford up front if he gets injured.
I haven't seen anything in Greenwood or Rashford that suggests they can play in the #9. Their hold up play just isn't there. It would have to be Ighaloo for me if Martial were to get injured...

E-mal

What has his first season got to do with anything? He had a good first season. I never said or intimated any different. I also never said Kane will get better and Martial won’t. You’re inventing an argument that nobody is having. I’m leaving you to it.
Mate, you saidthis is the first season that Martial is scoring double figure in goals in the league, I corrected you that you were wrong. You've gone about making assertions that are factually incorrect, then come and shift the goal post. Engaging in this discussion is such a piece of work.
Am done man!

acnumber9

Exactly.

When it is constantly over looked that United was not dripping with creativity this season until the arrival of Bruno fernandes. Yet both United's top scorers in a team sorerly lacking creativity scored 17 league goals each. 2 and 1 goal behind those of the team that won the league title by a galaxy.

For anyone to claim the bar is random to set is just way laughable. Because a bar hasn't even been set. Simply holes in the 'improve on the striker" argument have been exposed.
United had the exact same creativity issues when Lukaku was here. Scoring one more definitely wouldn’t have made him irreplaceable.

acnumber9

Having read the rest of your posts in this thread, I won't waste my time.
Please don’t waste your time waiting for Martial to surpass Eric Cantona, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Wayne Rooney or Robin Van Persie. Actually do whatever you want.

acnumber9

He doesnt have the facts, forget about him. He will come and shift the goal post.
Greenwood has a better goals per minute than Kane, Jimenez, Vardy and quite a few strikers. It isnt just Martial.
Shifted no goal posts. You created an argument I never made.

E-mal

Well he hasn't shown he can be a manutd defensive midfielder, let's be honest.
How is he supposed to show that he is worthy of been no9 if he wasn't played in that role in the past three seasons. Some of the argument here is just funny.

Like you, I agree and hopeful that Greenwood does that, if his all round game and output becomes better than Martial, then we have a real gem of a player.

E-mal

He scored 11 league goals in his first season.
I pointed it out to you and now you've shifted the goal post. It's important you stay the course so we can take your posts seriously.

acnumber9

Mate, you saidthis is the first season that Martial is scoring double figure in goals in the league, I corrected you that you were wrong. You've gone about making assertions that are factually incorrect, then come and shift the goal post. Engaging in this discussion is such a piece of work.
Am done man!
Apologies. I meant 20 goals. I haven’t shifted any goal posts you absolute mooncat. You started blathering on about Kane’s stats when I never once mentioned Kane’s stats. You’re going on ignore and so I thread so I don’t have to spend the rest of my life arguing with people who seemingly think that Martial is the all round footballer with zero weaknesses that you all think he is. Enjoy yourselves.

James Peril

It’s not really lazy journalism, lots of people are/were uncertain about Martial and I still am too. Not if he keeps up a certain level for a long time, then everyone will shut up, but he never really has. Blows hot and cold, often plays badly or just not involved in games, then suddenly comes back again. Point being; his lowest level is lower than what you expect from a top striker. He is often on fire when the team is on fire, but does very little out of nothing over time when the team is struggling. Kane has a higher general level and a higher top level, Martial has not reached that top level (yet). Two different players, one with speed and technique, one with absolute killer instinct.

However..... Kane is older and seemingly hampered by all his previous injuries. Nothing is stopping Martial if he continues this form and doesn’t fall into his periods where you don’t see him on the pitch. Also, it’s not like his tally in the league was particularly impressive this season... our top scorer should net 25 goals in this day and age, his average level must go up a notch or two. Remember, we’re 30 points behind the winner and so many goals behind it’s ridiculous.. I’m not happy with that, we need to score more goals.

E-mal

Apologies. I meant 20 goals. I haven’t shifted any goal posts you absolute mooncat. You started blathering on about Kane’s stats when I never once mentioned Kane’s stats. You’re going on ignore and so I thread so I don’t have to spend the rest of my life arguing with people who seemingly think that Martial is the all round footballer with zero weaknesses that you all think he is. Enjoy yourselves.
You won't be missed, good riddance I'd say.
Martial is the greatest Striker in the history of football, I thought you knew.