Television ThE cRoWn (NeTfLiX))

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Anyone seen this yet?

I binged on 8 episodes since yesterday. It's by the same guy who wrote The Queen movie.

It is based on the early years of Queen Elizabeth's reign after WWII. Nothing ground breaking but the writing is strong as are the performances by the actors. It is also supposedly the most expensive netflix show til date. Can see this cleaning up a lot of emmys.

Last edited:

Carolina Red

Staff
Watched the first 3 episodes last night. I love it so far... But then again I'm a history nerd who loves shows like this.

Dan

Just started watching it. I read that they're planning on making 6 seasons.

izzydiggler

I have absolutely no interest in the Royal Family but given the reviews, I might have to give it a go. Although I'm sceptical that a lot the scores are from people/media sources, who just revel in anything related to them.

Thought the same thing about The King's Speech though and enjoyed that...also love John Lithgow, so I'm intrigued to see him as Churchill.

crappycraperson

Scout
I wonder if they're gonna eventually change from Claire Foy and Matt Smith as the queen and king then
Don't think so. They will probably just go with a lot of make up.

Anyway, binged through the whole season. Will post more detailed thoughts on the season.

crappycraperson

Scout
I have absolutely no interest in the Royal Family but given the reviews, I might have to give it a go. Although I'm sceptical that a lot the scores are from people/media sources, who just revel in anything related to them.

Thought the same thing about The King's Speech though and enjoyed that...also love John Lithgow, so I'm intrigued to see him as Churchill.
Lithgow is brilliant as Churchill. I have zero interest in royal family too by this is defo worth a watch.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Just watched the first episode and thought it was great. I love Jared Harris and John Lithgow, and Claire Foy looks like a great casting choice. The show looks great visually as well.

dellboyy

Pretty much, my thoughts exactly... really didn't fancy this, but then again like you say, i didn't fancy the kings speach either, and that was great.

Since the general feedback has been so good, i'll prob risk an episode or two and see how it goes!

Dan

The telephone switchboard scenes are fascinating.

Nik70

Not really one to go gaga about the Royals like some are but this is a great show. Watched 8 episodes so far. Like others have said John Lithgow does a fantastic job playing Churchill. Nice to have a little insight to see into the life of Elizabeth II and how she grows in her role as Queen although I'm not sure how accurate the storyline is (I'd assume it is fairly accurate).

Loublaze

ATLien
6 episodes in and really enjoying this. Great production value but with that budget its to be expected. This show is going to win a shitload of Emmys

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Bump:
watched it through season 2 on Netflix.
Very enjoyable stuff.
Nice burn by the Queen on MacMillan about her having seen 3 old man PMs.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
yeah it was. I vaguely recalled something about Edward and the Nazis from the past news reports in the 70s but I had no idea it was that :eek:

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
bump: Crown season 3 is out, for critics anyway. Netflix will release it on Nov 17th.

Two critics that I read seemed to disagree on it.

"Olivia Colman dazzles, but the jewel in Netflix’s tiara has lost its shines" says the Indo.
While the Beeb says S3 is the best yet.

crappycraperson

Scout
Watched the first 4 episodes of season 3. Second episode was very good but in general looks like this season would have a lot of filler stuff. They should have used the time jump to start with the Charles-Carmella-Diana stuff.

Amir

Watched the first 4 episodes of season 3. Second episode was very good but in general looks like this season would have a lot of filler stuff. They should have used the time jump to start with the Charles-Carmella-Diana stuff.
That might leave them short of material for future seasons (at least a fourth was already orderered) if they make a time jump so big.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
3 episodes in, very good so far, really enjoying it again.

Olivia Coleman is very good but the role misses Claire Foy's steely cold eyes at times and not overly keen on Helena Bonham-Carter's portrayal of Margaret but that is nit-picking a bit as Vanessa Kirby was so good in that role.

AkaAkuma

Seen all of the 3rd season, I think the Charles in Wales was the best episode. I liked the Phillip episode as well, where he overcomes his midlife crisis.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
AkaAkuma said:
I liked the Phillip episode as well, where he overcomes his midlife
Was that the bit where he shouted "Pull!" as his servants catapulted peasants into the air so that he could shoot them?

roseguy64

Currently watched 4 episodes into season 3 and Colman has the stoic face a bit too much IMO. Or it could be that Foy was doing it too but her features were softer so I didn't notice it as much.

Heardy

Very late to the party on this, but have watched series 1 and 2 over the last two weeks.
Stunning show - surprised to not see more love for it!!

just starting to watch series 3 and will be interested to see how Colman does as Foy was superb!

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Very late to the party on this, but have watched series 1 and 2 over the last two weeks.
Stunning show - surprised to not see more love for it!!

just starting to watch series 3 and will be interested to see how Colman does as Foy was superb!
I think there s been plenty of praise. The show s also received numerous awards including Emmys. I can already tell you Colman does a great job as well. Looking forward to S4.

We need more shows that history buffs like myself love and have the slow paced drama and intrigue this does so I have more shows the wife and I both agree on are worth watching. There are some other shows I guess kinda like that but they either suffer from some poor acting or production values, or both. My wife isn't into historical events from before the 1900s either.

Heardy

I think there s been plenty of praise. The show s also received numerous awards including Emmys. I can already tell you Colman does a great job as well. Looking forward to S4.

We need more shows that history buffs like myself love and have the slow paced drama and intrigue this does so I have more shows the wife and I both agree on are worth watching. There are some other shows I guess kinda like that but they either suffer from some poor acting or production values, or both. My wife isn't into historical events from before the 1900s either.
By “more love” I simply meant on here - less than a page of posts.

We put it on Netflix on a bit of a whim as not really my/my wife’s usuals viewing, but we’ve both loved it. Incredible show and it’s peaked a bit of an interest in the royal family.

I know there’s a lot of anti-royalists on here but my word, she’s seen/lived through a lot!

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
By “more love” I simply meant on here - less than a page of posts.

We put it on Netflix on a bit of a whim as not really my/my wife’s usuals viewing, but we’ve both loved it. Incredible show and it’s peaked a bit of an interest in the royal family.

I know there’s a lot of anti-royalists on here but my word, she’s seen/lived through a lot!
Ahh gotcha.

Yeah I was surprised my wife liked it. I've heard of many couples who watch it together. Dont think you need to be a royalist to like this either. What's most interesting to me is how it's framed within larger historical events, and appearance of other historical figures. Many things too that I was never aware of happened because I was too young or because it didn't come out in the time of mass media so it was easier to keep scandals etc contained.

Heardy

Ahh gotcha.

Yeah I was surprised my wife liked it. I've heard of many couples who watch it together. Dont think you need to be a royalist to like this either. What's most interesting to me is how it's framed within larger historical events, and appearance of other historical figures. Many things too that I was never aware of happened because I was too young or because it didn't come out in the time of mass media so it was easier to keep scandals etc contained.
The whole Anthony Blunt scandal that was hushed up. Couldn’t believe that, especially as he stayed on for another 7 years or whatever it was.
Crazy