Television ThE cRoWn (NeTfLiX))

AaronRedDevil

On the last 2 eps now. Kinda wish they covered more on the Troubles and the IRA bombings.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Gillian Anderson is absolutely brilliant. What a mesmerising performance.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I have no love for the royals either but as a show, it’s very much up there with pretty much anything I’ve ever seen. Like Game of Thrones with a stiff upper lip. Pure quality from opening credits to costumes to script to acting to ... you get the drift. I was totally surprised by how much I liked it and settling down in Sunday to a new series was really exciting.
I just binge watched the first series and despite the acting being great and the production values excellent they have somehow made it rather dull and pedestrian.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Well I suppose half of its appeal for me, in a strange way, it’s its dullness and pedestrian nature. The royals by their nature are dull and pedestrian.

Hey, I love it anyway:wenger:
I'll keep watching but I expected more

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Watching the royals swan around on their country estates makes me wonder why the Brits put up with them. Such a silly system.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I'll keep watching but I expected more
We’ve just finished S4 and it was very good. I think the appeal is that it fleshes out things we’ve seen on the news growing up. It’s familiar. How factually correct it all is we’ll never know but we’ve really enjoyed it.

I’ve been signed off work for a couple of weeks and on a slight thread deviation, just re-watched Twin Peaks 1 - 3, couldn’t be more different from the crown.

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Finished it last night. Anderson and Corrin as Thatcher and Diana really stole the season.
The acting is bloody flawless. Gillian Anderson was mesmerizing.

I've also really enjoyed Josh O'Connor's portrayal of Charles. These actors are making me feel sympathetic of people I'd never thought I'd feel that way for.

The Firestarter

The acting is bloody flawless. Gillian Anderson was mesmerizing.

I've also really enjoyed Josh O'Connor's portrayal of Charles. These actors are making me feel sympathetic of people I'd never thought I'd feel that way for.
I hope you dont impy you are sympathetic of Charles.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
The Camilla/Diana story does not reflect well on him.
Not disputing that, was talking more about his life in general - seems like an outcast from that family, never fully accepting his role as Prince of Wales and struggling with the fact his life is pretty much written in advance for him. I understand you can counter that by underlining how privileged he is (and they all are), but the fact there is very little free will in most of his life decisions is something that I would absolutely hate. Golden cage and all that. And I think O'Connor's performance is excellent at conveying it.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I think O'Connor's performance is excellent at conveying it.
Totally agree, all performances in this series are amazing but his especially is fantastic. I have no love for Charles especially but his storyline over the last two seasons has been fantastic and enlightening and his portrayal has been almost flawless.

Zen

Are you guys taking this with a pinch of salt .... or as mostly accurate? Just kinda curious, as I'm not even sure what to take of it, I haven't massively followed their history.

TheGame

Are you guys taking this with a pinch of salt .... or as mostly accurate? Just kinda curious, as I'm not even sure what to take of it, I haven't massively followed their history.
Pinch of salt definitely as no one knows the dialogue that went on however interesting to read up on the actual events after the episodes which I do.

TheGame

Not disputing that, was talking more about his life in general - seems like an outcast from that family, never fully accepting his role as Prince of Wales and struggling with the fact his life is pretty much written in advance for him. I understand you can counter that by underlining how privileged he is (and they all are), but the fact there is very little free will in most of his life decisions is something that I would absolutely hate. Golden cage and all that. And I think O'Connor's performance is excellent at conveying it.
Yes agree but feel some of the feeling sorry for him goes out of the window with the way he treats Diana. I seem to feel more sorry for Anne in the same ways as above.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Not seen this but the thread title was bugging me. You're welcome.

The Firestarter

Started this over the weekend, but boy was this slow and dull. Also looks to be PR'd up a bit to show the Crown in a better light. Not my cup of tea.
That feeling lasts for the first season, which I believe is the implied 'innocence' of her being just a child. It progressively wears off, and by season 4 the tone is completely changed.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Totally agree, all performances in this series are amazing but his especially is fantastic. I have no love for Charles especially but his storyline over the last two seasons has been fantastic and enlightening and his portrayal has been almost flawless.
Yeah, that sums it up nicely. Of course the way he treats Diana is awful, right from the start, but beyond that side of him I guess I'd just never seen Charles in that light, and it's been interesting to discover.
Started this over the weekend, but boy was this slow and dull. Also looks to be PR'd up a bit to show the Crown in a better light. Not my cup of tea.
As Firestarter says, that disappears quite quickly and they come across as the tone-deaf, disconnected privileged idiots they mostly are. The human side to it is well done though.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
it gets darker. It wouldn’t usually be my bag at all but the performances and the production really are top notch. As an Irish person I agree the troubles in Northern Ireland weren’t really touched on enough but there was already so much going on with Maggie and the falklands and her son and obviously Charles and Diana that any more arcs probably would have watered it down too much. The troubles are probably another show all by themselves. I will definitely watch again in a few years. Highly recommended and worth sticking with.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Well into series 2 and still finding it slow but still watching.

Australia is not very convinced by the Australian episode in series 4. Brisbane filmed in Spain can't help due to covid but the sheer inaccuracy of the portrayal of Bob Hawke is the thing most people are finding jarring.

TheGame

Found the latest season to be good, probably does get a little 'samey' with Charles/Diana stuff whereas they had a few more varied storylines in previous season focusing on other events which took place at the time.

djdhrubs

Just seen the 2nd episode of the latest series and it's probably the best stand alone Crown episode I've seen, mainly due to the actors playing Thatcher and Diana. I loved it when Maggie recited the poem about having enemies to the Queen at the end. Chills down my spine. The actress playing Diana is simply superb, gets across the simplicity and child-like nature of the character as well as hinting at manipulative ambition at the same time.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

SirAF

Ageist
The guy who plays Charles looks constipated all the time.

djdhrubs