The Culture Wars

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
nah that was all Christopher Rufo, Lindsay's just a hanger on who latches onto anything like that to claim credit for wins
Oh god you're right. I think the reason I mixed them up is one of them has a sword emoji and this guy did that great swordplay video.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I don't get his remark about being Tucker Carlson?
I'm assuming he's joking that the M&M's have him wanting to declare war on the woke Marxist big corporations, like Carlson.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I'm assuming he's joking that the M&M's have him wanting to declare war on the woke Marxist big corporations, like Carlson.
Ya, same.
OTOH, now Tucker has had his say, and I think it's cringier than the company's? How on earth can you get red-faced angry on TV about this.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It’s been mentioned before in this thread but I’m only just getting round to listening to Jon Ronson’s “Things Fell Apart” podcast. Deep dive into the origins of this culture war. It’s amazing. Anyone with even a vague interest in all this lunacy should listen.

Dante

Average bang
It's true to say that there have been Culture Wars in every generation.

But what different in 2022 is that the warfare has morphed into something more akin to Messaging Wars.

Which is to say that people are no longer primarily fighting about ideas. The battleground has shifted to concerns about platforming and who gets to contribute to the narrative.

What that means, amongst other things, is that a present day leftist's biggest enemy is now the centre-left rather than the right.

DOTA

It’s been mentioned before in this thread but I’m only just getting round to listening to Jon Ronson’s “Things Fell Apart” podcast. Deep dive into the origins of this culture war. It’s amazing. Anyone with even a vague interest in all this lunacy should listen.
I've not listened yet but I can tell you my 64 year old, only moderately online, dad found it really interesting, so it seemingly has reach beyond its most obvious audience.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
They should unironically ban anyone from social media and academia who says this

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Unfortunately not. Certain sect of left does believe and propagate the notion of disregarding any philosophy that may cause emotional harm to any group of people.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
What’s a wordcel? Part of the reason I don’t understand anything because online language and lexicon is constantly being changed. :(

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Genuinely impressed that Jordan Peterson is now more online than me. Had to google.
Same, never seen those words before. Assuming this is the 2 kinds of IQ, and conservatives (or classical liberals) have spatial, and eventually it's just facts > feelings in a new form?

DOTA

Same, never seen those words before. Assuming this is the 2 kinds of IQ, and conservatives (or classical liberals) have spatial, and eventually it's just facts > feelings in a new form?
I wonder if there is an element of high functioning autism (or more to the point, people who identify themselves as having autistic traits and like to think they're a genius) > neurotypical as well.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
https://www.gawker.com/culture/white-people-love-calling-other-white-people-white-people

And that, indeed, seems to be the general pattern in such pronouncements: more often than not, the language of racial critique is being co-opted in order to bolster some other, quite unrelated critique, sometimes unthinkingly but often cynically and in bad faith. All sense of intellectual coherence dissolves into a nebulous sludge of weaponised sanctimony. It should go without saying that it’s only ever appropriate to bring someone’s race into the conversation if it bears some direct material relevance to the matter under discussion. This silly refrain has been impoverishing our discourse for too long. We are better off without it.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This is what the right believes

Meanwhile The Beeb are reaching out to transphobes for their articles, The tories have been in power for more than 10 years, Tennessee School Board are banning books on the holocaust yet the 5 minute lip service to rainbow flags means the media's been infiltrated by newspeak communists.